Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    There are some TSB's issued by Toyota Motor Company in regards to the shifting issues of the automatic transmissions. Your local dealership should have them (unless they are trying to BS with you)
  • jsamplesjsamples Posts: 2
    I'm #10. I tried warming up the car when this "cold shift shock" became a big issue. No luck there, it still jumps forward. Yes, please write to the US Safety Board - I've done that, but they need numbers. My transmission would act up at 40 mph, rpms would drop, then suddenly raise. After much ado with the district rep, my local dealer readjusted the shift points with new software. I also have "noise" and "thunking" when turning fast to the right into a driveway. I have yet to deal with that. This "new" Camry is very bland - I may not keep it!
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    We have a RAV, I turned the key to start the car and nothing happened...no clicking, no noise...nothing. I immediately turned the again and it started right up. I don't drive the car often so Iassummed that perhaps I did not turn the key far enough the first time. I mentioned this to my wife a few days later and she said this happened to her twice in the last few months. I took the car to Toyota and they tested the battery, hooked it to the computer etc. and found nothing. They said to listen for a clicking which could indicate the starter is going--but we never heard that. The problem has only happened 3 times in 6 - 8 weeks.

Anyone ever have a similar problem or any idea what may be wrong...if anything?
    We have a RAV, I turned the key to start the car and nothing happened...no clicking, no noise...nothing. I immediately turned the again and it started right up. I don't drive the car often so Iassummed that perhaps I did not turn the key far enough the first time. I mentioned this to my wife a few days later and she said this happened to her twice in the last few months. I took the car to Toyota and they tested the battery, hooked it to the computer etc. and found nothing. They said to listen for a clicking which could indicate the starter is going--but we never heard that. The problem has only happened 3 times in 6 - 8 weeks.

Anyone ever have a similar problem or any idea what may be wrong...if anything?
    My wife just called...This just happened again at Blockbuster Video...Car would not start after two attempts - no clicking or noise or anything. Some dude saw what was happening and said to put the car in nuetral and try to start it...IT WORKED. (Perhaps it was a coincidence - perhaps it would have started if she had turned the key in Park a third time...?) She has since been able to start and restart the car in park. The guy worked for Ford and said their cars have some sort of Safety switch that goes bad...he did not elaborate. We called Toyota back and I guess they told my wife there is such a part but to watch the situation and see if this is consistently the problem.

Again, anyone ever hear of something like this or what it costs to fix...hopefully it is covered under our Extened care Platimum!
    3 times in the last 2 months while starting our RAV, you turn the key and nothing happens. Do it a second time and the car starts right up. I took it to Toyota today and they found nothing wrong but suggested that we listen for a clicking sound that might indicate the starter was going. (We never heard any sound).

My wife just called...This just happened again at Blockbuster Video...Car would not start after TWO attempts this time - no clicking or noise or anything. Some dude saw what was happening and said to put the car in nuetral and try to start it...IT WORKED. (Perhaps it was a coincidence - perhaps it would have started if she had turned the key in Park a third time...?) She has since been able to start and restart the car in park. The guy worked for Ford and said their cars have some sort of Safety switch that goes bad...he did not elaborate. We called Toyota back and I guess they told my wife there is such a part but to watch the situation and see if this is consistently the problem.

Again, anyone ever hear of something like this or what it costs to fix...hopefully it is covered under our Extened care Platimum!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,726
    which is the switch that only allows the starter to operate when the transmission is in park or neutral. It is a little gizmo mounted on the side of your transmission, and even if you have to pay to replace it, it won't be too bad. But if your warranty is bumper to bumper, it will certainly be covered. If your warranty is only powertrain components, it will not. I had an old corolla do this, and I was able to get away with it for a long long time by jiggering the gear selector if it was misbehaving, or by shifting to neutral. Eventually it will wear out completely, but it can take a long time to do that, during which time it is still partially working.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I guess if it continues I should just have the dealer replace it....or must I wait until it goes all together...I guess I'll have to see what they say. Thanks again!
  • gp4gp4 Posts: 9
    lasher, does the rattle in the center stack and the squeak in the center armrest happen all the time?
  • morinkmorink Posts: 12
    Hello 8u6hfd,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I definetly have strange shifting problems going on with my new Camry. I sent Toyota the message as indicated in #25 and I just received a reply this morning stating that they are not aware of any shifting problems in these vehicles (bull !!!). I am planning on going to my service rep. this afternoon and have a service tech. drive the car. I know that they are going to experience the symtom but can almost guarantee you that they are going to say that this is normal because GUESS WHAT !!! I have no check light. If they tell me this then am going to insist that they let me test drive another 2002 to see if that one has the same symtoms as mine.

I cannot believe that toyota is not aware of ANY shifting/transmission problems on that particular car. I just feel like they are trying to shaft me. Well I guess the meeting this after with the service rep. may still have hope.
  • morinkmorink Posts: 12
    Hello,

I went to see my dealer this morning and described the problem to the service techs. They said that this did not sound like a problem and from what I was explaining sounded like it was doing what it was designed to do. I asked to test drive another 2002 V6 Camry which they did. I made a couple of observations. As you can see from my other messages #13 and #20 I also have the "Cold Shift Shock" problem. When the service rep started this car it was idling fast (1700 RPM) which you would expect when cold. When he shifted into drive the car surged forward (expected at that RPM) but quess what !!! no cluck. I told him also about this problem and he could not give me an answer as to why mine does and this test vehicle does not.

I did test drive the car and it presented similar symtoms as mine (described in #25) so maybe this is the nature of the beast. After I returning from the test drive and talking to the service reps. they explained to me that this car is what they called "fly by wire" no cables or pulleys. They told me that the computer makes a lot of adjustments (shifting) depending on a lot of circumstances/road conditions. I was led to believe that this is just the way it is.

FWIW
  • pauls427pauls427 Posts: 1
    I've had my car for about one month and there is now a squeaking noise coming from the roof panel behind the sunroof. This panel seems flimsy.
    Has anyone else experienced this??

Also my power driver's seat has too much play in it which the dealer could not fix....
  • The following is a TSB from the Engine Rebuilders Association.

========================================================

AERA Engine Rebuilders Association

330 Lexington Drive

Buffalo Grove, IL 60089-6998

TECHNICAL BULLETIN

March 2002

TB 1963

Mfg: Lexus/Toyota Model: Car/Truck

Liter: 3.0L

Code: V-6

Year: 1993-2001

OIL CONSUMPTION OR ENGINE DAMAGE ON

1993-2001 Lexus/Toyota 3.0 V-6 Engines

The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information

regarding oil consumption or engine damage on 1993-2001 Lexus/Toyota

3.0L V-6 engines. Either of these conditions has been reported even

though proper oil maintenance has been endured. The cause of these

conditions may be the result of oil pooling in either cylinder head.

If the oil is allowed to puddle several undesirable scenarios may

result.

Depending upon the startup oil level in the oil pan and the amount of

pooled oil while the engine is running, a depleted amount of supply

oil may remain in the oil pan. The amount of oil in suspension in the

cylinder heads may overwhelm both the valve stem seals and PCV system,

causing oil consumption. This oil consumption may or may not produce

oil smoke out the tail pipe as temperatures within the exhaust system

(catalytic convertor) completely burn the oil vapors.

The apparent cause of these conditions is oil sludge accumulation in

the cylinder head drain back passages preventing sufficient oil flow

from the top of the engine to the oil pan. It has also been reported

adding a quart of oil to an engine showing a quart low level on the

dipstick may be misleading. In some cases with excessively sludged up

engines, the amount registering on the dipstick does not equal the

amount added to the top of the engine.

Some AERA members report repeated engine oil flushes and changes may

be a temporary resolve for effected engines. Also, much shorter oil

change intervals are necessary, perhaps as often as every 1000 miles

to keep the sludge from reappearing.

The AERA Technical Committee

http://www.aera.org

• In the morning, the shift from reverse into drive is a hard jolt you can hear and feel. Service told me this is "normal" for the 6 cyl. (After dropping off car at dealership, getting a ride home from a friend and going back in the a.m. so service could hear and feel this thud). Then the brakes failed; the brakes locked with a very fast clicking sound, this was on a slow turn into a parking lot; able to coast and when pulled into parking space the brakes were again working. Service cant find anything wrong.
    Also, when at a long stop light, brakes slowly sink down to one inch from floor. Brake p. Have taken to two different dealerships; service said everything checks out fine. Sent letters, even called Georgetown; so guess it's all in my mind, huh? I asked regional service rep if Toyota would work with me, take this back and I would pay the extra thousands for an Avalon. The answer: they will sell me an extended warranty!!!
    My answer was I am not talking about a starter, I am talking about the BRAKES and I am not keeping this car. I am looking at eating a minimum of $7,000 to unload it on another 2002 trade in, different mfg. Have had Toyotas in the past and they have been great. This has been a huge and costly experience for me. Toyota again for me? Even a gold plated one, I think not.
    Good luck getting Toyota to back up your problem.
  • 90camrydx90camrydx Posts: 1
    I can't find any diagram or information on resetting instrument cluster lights. Anyone help me?
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    this is a general question about the colour of oil. my parents visted me over the weekend and because of the sludge paranoia i took a look and found the oil to be dark brown. Its a 2000 Camry (4 cyl) and has 25k. The oil was changed in March and since then the car has about 3k kms on it mostly highway (2* 850km round trips). I have a 2000 sienna and due to diligent chking of the oil have never seen it this dark. I also have a 87 camry and the oil hasnt been dark. any reason for the colour of the oil. The oil has been changed
    every 4-5 months within the 6K specs. The oil appears to be "thick". this was the case before the March oil change as well and at that time didnt pay too much attention. the Car runs fine.
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    Based upon all the discussions I would say that your parents 6K oil changes are way too long. They need to go the the 3-4K changes to play it say. I use synthetic in my 92 and at 7500 it is still amber. You may also suggest pulling the valve cover on this one to play it safe. Especially in Canada
    since deepan is a canadian....it's 6k kilometers, not miles. 6000 km turns out to be 3728 miles. Still on the safe side.

for deepan: the color of the oil. All your cars take the same oil, correct? Different oils (weights, brand, lots, etc) will have a variation in color. Castrol Syntec is usually dark amber from the bottle.
    it was easy to miss, because it was written twice (km). And they were placed in the middle of the post, not the beginning.
This discussion has been closed.