Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Need help identifying this vintage car

vermontjohnvermontjohn Member Posts: 7
edited January 2018 in General
This photo appears in my mother's old photo album next to a picture of her when she is about 2 years old. She was born in 1917. I believe the license plate to be a 1919 CT plate with the state and year worn off from the hand crank. Can anyone help with the year, make and possibly model of the car.

Comments

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited January 2018
    Trying to do a little enhancement on the radiator emblem. Looks like there are wings and not symmetric with the circle they're on

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    edited January 2018
    REO (the fifth) roadster from ~1913

Here's an auction listing for a similar car
  • Options
    The depth of historical automotive knowledge here NEVER ceases to amaze :)
  • Options
    I was lucky to be familiar with the shape of the badge, and that it was visible. From there, quite easy :)
  • Options
    I tried blowing it up also but all I came up with was a laughing clown face. Does anyone know where I could see a higher resolution image of the REO emblem?
  • Options

Here is a close-up of the emblem. RM Auctions sold one in 2007.
  • Options
    fintail - Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I'll probably have a few more as I go through this old album. Now if I could only figure out who the woman holding the baby is.
  • Options
    Feel free to post them, maybe I'll be lucky again ;)
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    You may have already found this out, but the REO was named for Ransom E. Olds, who founded what became Oldsmobile. He sold the first mass produced car in 1901, one of the first cars for 'normal' (not rich) people, the Curved Dash Oldsmobile:

He left in 1904 because of a dispute with other shareholders and started REO.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,302
    A car collector friend of mine has one of those, just inside his front door.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Here is a close-up of the emblem. RM Auctions sold one in 2007.

I'm just sayin'... you brought up the clown face and this popped into my head :)

Who knew there might have been an autotmotive inspiration for Bozo!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited August 2018
    Yours for $11,275 or thereabouts:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21929/lot/316/

Pretty advanced car for 1913-- a sliding gear transmission on the floor and electric starter.