Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Reliable car for heavy highway mileage

rose703rose703 Member Posts: 2
edited January 2018 in General
Sorry if this has been asked-can’t quite get the right search terms. My husband puts about 25K on his car a year, mostly highway. He’s looking at an Audi A3 I think and a small Volvo. In just five minutes of reading I’m finding that long term reliability for both is tanking and cost of ownership is high. Is this correct? I’m trying to push him toward an Accord or Civic, or even an Acura or Lexus if the price is right. I don’t want to be throwing a lot of money at this car just for upkeep. Suggestions and reasoning appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    rose703 said:

Sorry if this has been asked-can’t quite get the right search terms. My husband puts about 25K on his car a year, mostly highway. He’s looking at an Audi A3 I think and a small Volvo. In just five minutes of reading I’m finding that long term reliability for both is tanking and cost of ownership is high. Is this correct? I’m trying to push him toward an Accord or Civic, or even an Acura or Lexus if the price is right. I don’t want to be throwing a lot of money at this car just for upkeep. Suggestions and reasoning appreciated!

Looks like you are already headed in the right direction. European luxury makes are not cheap to mile up.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    A new accord has plenty of luxury, goodies, comfort. And fantastic highway MPG. And potentially long term reliability.

The A3 is a bit small, and does not get great mileage. And small tank so lots of fill ups. The S60 is not that bad an option. Stick with front wheel drive though.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Also in terms of resale value, buyers definitely do not like miled-up European imports, whereas they seem much more tolerant of miled-up Japanese cars.
  • Options
    One thing to remember. Doing that many miles, you really have to love the car, and find it super comfortable. And seats are crucial.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    stickguy said:

One thing to remember. Doing that many miles, you really have to love the car, and find it super comfortable. And seats are crucial.

The 2013 A3 TDI that I bought in 2016 had 96K miles. That's a lot of miles in three years. He might have liked the car, but I bet he liked the 45 mpg the most.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Well, for that much driving, I can understand wanting the Volvo seats. A CPO with low miles could offer a good bit of warranty coverage. And early depreciation on them can mean a good deal used. I think a CPO 2015 or up S60 T6 drive-e is a very compelling option.

Just one example of what I'm referring to:
    http://cpo.volvocars.us/en/vehicles/Volvo/S60/T6-Drive-E-drca6zd

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    rose703rose703 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2018
    Just to add, a couple things: were looking st something a couple years old, possibly old lease vehicle. he currently has a Mini Cooper which is the absolute most uncomfortable car I’ve ever been in! So anything is an improvement. It as 125k over 5 years but we’d love to get another 2-3 years from the next car. Also, we’re in eastern Iowa, so not-as-common models may not be available. Could hit the Chicago suburbs, Des Moines and Milwaukee if needed. 
  • Options
    I do like the S60. The T5 is plenty of car. The FWD model is less complicated, cheaper, and rated for better MPG. Want to make sure it is new enough to have the 2.0T engine. a CPO will also have a lot of warranty (out to 100K). No clue about dealer support in Iowa though.

and yes, a mini cooper is about the worst possible choice for doing that much driving.

here is one near you. This seems to be a smashing deal. Not CPO, but cheap and still plenty of warranty left. heck, if this was local to me, I might buy it.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/717808236/overview/

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    find sumthing that is nice to drive that you boath feal you can sit for an long time with out getting sleepy!
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    rose703 said:

Just to add, a couple things: were looking st something a couple years old, possibly old lease vehicle. he currently has a Mini Cooper which is the absolute most uncomfortable car I’ve ever been in! So anything is an improvement. It as 125k over 5 years but we’d love to get another 2-3 years from the next car. Also, we’re in eastern Iowa, so not-as-common models may not be available. Could hit the Chicago suburbs, Des Moines and Milwaukee if needed. 

I learned long ago to let my spouse pick the car she wants. I do give advice but she makes the final call(she loves her Mini Clubman, BTW). If your husband enjoys a European car and you stick him in something he doesn't like then those 25k miles per year will seem more like 75k miles.

If I couldn't drive my 2er and had to get a US or Asian sedan I'd consider a Charger R/T if I needed a LOT of room and a Civic Si or Accord Sport if I could tolerate another FWD car for a daily driver.

Some European makes now have unlimited mileage CPO warranties- so you could buy a 1 year old CPO and get 4-5 more years of powertrain coverage regardless of mileage.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive