Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cougar Support Group - Modifications

Comments

• Options
    dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    I like you would only consider the scoop...if it was functional.

I like the way the kitty looks. It looks good without air dams, side skirts, or whatever.

I just hope my kitty is good to go when it comes from the bodyshop.
  • Options
    catscratchcatscratch Member Posts: 34
    Hey does anyone know where a guy could find visuals of the "sun and fun" or "sound and fun" packages. The dealer had some literature on them, but no pics. The only mods I can remember are....stylized spoiler, 6 disc in-dash cd changer w/ premium sound, cougar black-out decal in rear window. The "sun and fun" was a bright yellow exterior while the "sound and fun" was either black, silver, or laser red.

I've also heard of a Raush (sp?) package which is basically ground effects; if I'm remembering correctly.
  • Options
    badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    Catscratch:
    Sun and fun? Where did you hear about this package? I have never heard of it!

The Roush package can be found at:
    www.roushperf.com/vehicles/cougar

Another kit that mostly consists of visual modifications. The tires and springs are a plus, but not enough to make me run out and purchase it.
  • Options
    My salesman informed me of them yesterday. Had just arrived on his desk he said. He didn't have a price on the packages, just a brief description. If he would've had some pics and a price, I would've considered the sound and fun package, but as soon as I heard yellow exterior on sun and fun, I immediately ruled out that package.
  • Options
    dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    I like the way the Cougar looks as it is. If I were to dish out any money, I want some "real" function or performance improvement, and not just cosmetic improvement. Otherwise, I'll just leave the Kitty alone.
  • Options
    ambercadabraambercadabra Member Posts: 56
    Dasaint:

ME TOO! I'd consider giving my cat something functional to boost performance, but I bought the car because I liked how it looked. If it ain't broke...
  • Options
    The only way I would add an effects kit is if I installed a supercharger. And even then I would most likely leave the cosmetics alone.

I have seen a few web sites that feature "Raced" out Cougars. All show and no go. All the effects do is cut down on aerodynamics and add weight. Yeah they look nice (most of them, not all), but they can really damage the existing performance.
  • Options
    I'd have to agree with you Rob. I'd prefer more speed to more crapola on the outside, anyway. (is crapola a bad word??) Nitrous, anyone?? >:)
  • Options
    I have seen a number of Cougar owners with TONS of crapola applied. Is it wrong for us to poke fun at "Raced" out Cougars and their owners? I can think of one individual I would love to confront about all his crapola (he is not a CSG member, at least not yet). Stageleft, you know who i'm talking about. Clue: He is an atheist when it comes to performance mods.

Crapola is a standard word in my vocabulary.
  • Options
    Glad to know that crapola is core vocab around here. And I think it's perfectly acceptable to poke fun at those who are foolish enough to overzealously modify their cars (cosmetically). It's like girls who wear way too much makeup - your money would be better spent on something to make you a better person, not just improving the paint finish.
  • Options
    I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with looking good, but it doesn't make much sense to me to buy a car, and pour tons of cash in to making it "look fast", and in actuality all of the stuff added to it slows it down.

All show and no go
  • Options
    dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    Crapola is not a word, not according to any published dictionary.

However, Crapulah (in honor of our esteemed caretaker) is something we at CSG can adapt to describe something we dislike.
  • Options
    LOL! The English language according to Badulah.

Now that would be scary!
  • Options
    LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!

But so far, I think Rob's a pretty ok guy - I'd hate to have a word that's his namesake define something lousy.

Besides, "ain't" has made it into the dictionary. So may "crapola" someday. Maybe I should start a coalition.
  • Options
    stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    Badulah:

Yeah, I know who you're talking about, I'll be the instigator ...

Crapola, n. How I've felt for the last couple of days. :^)
  • Options
    Happy Rabbit Day Everyone =)

Even though I'm still waiting for my Cat to arrive, I've been gathering info on mods...

How loud is the Borla Exhaust? Does it have a similar audible effect as a glasspack? I find glasspacks repulsive...

And how much can a guy expect to pay for such a thing? Hope not too incredibly much, cuz I'll be looking for a sunroof first...

Thanx

Catscratch
  • Options
    Catscratch:

I've got the Borla, and don't think it sounds anything like glasspacks. It doesn't have that loud, raspiness of a 'pack -- it's more of a tuned engine sound you get from the back with the Borla installed. I think it sounds very unique, and I love it every time I rev it.

As for price, it depends on what you think is high. Borla lists it at $679-$799 (I think, depending on the tips you get), and that's for the split dual tips (one on each side). If you're looking for the single tip, someone else might have to tell you how it sounds/responds but I think the price for that kit is between $300-$400.
  • Options
    Stageleft

Thanx for the info. I think eventually I'll get the dual tips along with the KMM Intake.....maybe a high flow catalytic converter...

Right now, I just want the car....
  • Options
    Good plan:

1) get car.
    2) be happy.
    3 (option) get upgrade parts.
    4) be happy.

How much longer is your wait, BTW?
  • Options
    I ordered it a week ago today. My salesman, a relatively informative guy, guessed it be ready for pickup by June 19th. He said he guessed on the long side so it will most likely be sooner. But now I'm looking for details on the sound and fun package, so I may change my order. That'd have to take place ASAP... I'm trying to get some pics of the package from him, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. He did say the package was $600......but minus the $71 for cd&cassette, $223 for machined wheels, $209 for spoiler delete--we end up with an extra cost of $97. Not bad, if I decide to get it....

On a positive note, the longer I wait, the more $$ I save for mods =)
  • Options
    Just saw the "fun and sun" preview at CSG. $495, hm? I'm gonna have to have words with my salesman. And after seeing that spoiler, I doubt I'll change my order, but I think I'll jerk his chain for bit =)
  • Options
    rickelrickel Member Posts: 34
    I lingered over the K&N display at my local auto parts store yesterday, and decided I might want to put one of these in. But the talk here of the warranty being voided makes me a little nervous...will the oil really splatter on something in the intake?

The increase in air volume intake seemed well documented, and most impressive. So, Badulah, would it be worth the cost, and what are the possible downsides?

Oh, right...it's on your website. What is the link again?

cheers!
    Rick
  • Options
  • Options
    Rick:

I have never herd of these filters damaging intakes, throttle bodys, or any other part of the vehicle. As far as i'm concerned, the only down side is having to clean them.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I have a K&N drop in filter on my Cat. The dealer tried to tell me that my car was pinging due to the K&N. HOGWASH!!! Dealers, if they could, would blame the hatch problems or paint quality on the K&N. They seem to want to do anything to deflect blame from themselves or the car. I currently have the stock filter back in and am trying to see if the car pings without the K&N in. It has gotten to the point where I TOTALLY DISTRUST anything the dealer tells me. Pretty Sad I think.
  • Options
    Stepping down from soapbox!!!
  • Options
    bobschmbobschm Member Posts: 42
    Theoretically, a filter could cause pinging. Any dramatic change in the fuel/air mixture will throw the onboard computers off until they can relearn how the engine runs.

I guess the test is: did the pinging start when the filter was installed?
  • Options
    My engine still pings occasionally even with the stock filter. The Tech said he adjusted the onboard computer to allow for pinging(?). It seemed to of helped a little.
  • Options
    fastback2fastback2 Member Posts: 55
    Allow for pinging...that's a new one. I would love to know the tech's rationale for that one as I have occasional pinging on hot summer days. I read an article which stated that car companies tend to lean out the fuel mixture such that the engine is on the verge of pinging so that they can meet CAFE requirements. A friend of mine has another Ford product (a F150 pickup) which also occasionally pings under load. Perhaps the durability of today's engines is such that this is not a problem, however it would be nice if the tech happened to agree with that statement.

As far as the onboard computer is concerned, I've heard that you can essentially "reboot" the computer by disconnecting the battery lead (I also think they mention this in the owner's manual) for a couple of minutes and then reconnecting it. This will reset the computer's memory and perhaps speed up the relearning process when the new filter is used. If you happen to do this, allow the car to idle for a few minutes after starting so that the computer can relearn the proper idle speed.
  • Options
    I have a wierd question....

It's not like I'd ever do this, but I saw a posting the other day on a rather well known car site about resetting your digital odometer...(I personally like to keep track of my real miles)...I was just wondering if this was possible or not? The guy seemed like kind of a hothead, and I was wondering if he knew what he was talking about, or if he was just oozing too much testosterone.
  • Options
    Fastback2:
    Yes the computer can be reset by disconnecting the battery for a few seconds. I would recommend doing this after you change the intake, exhaust, chip, and MAF. These mods will change the performance of the engine, so it is necessary to reset the computer.

Amber:
    Email me the site, I would like to see this for myself.
  • Options
    jimbo_gjimbo_g Member Posts: 53
    I'd like to see that too....e-mail me at: gwiz@snip.net

Jimbo_G
  • Options
    Isn't messing with the odometer illegal???
  • Options
    Yeah it is. I don't plan to mess with mine, I just want to check out the site.

8-)
  • Options
    I didn't want to get the Law on you ;-)

Wait, aren't you the law in your town??????
  • Options
    sort of, only the part time law. Hopefully I will be full time soon.
  • Options
    good luck
  • Options
    Thanks, I need all the help I can get.
  • Options
    Cops! ... in an unspecified location in northern New Jersey ...

Starring Badulah, the always wary, part time crime fighter in black -- with a badge.

Tonight's episode:

"How not to get caught when stealing gumballs from the local corner store" or,

"He knows when you've been sleeping, he knows when you're awake ... he knows when you've been bad or good, so be good."

For goodness' sake ...
  • Options
    ???????

Um, ok
  • Options
    Do you happen to be on any medication???????

Just wondering!!!
  • Options
    jimbo_gjimbo_g Member Posts: 53
    Did you mix your red pills with your blue pills again?? You gotta stop doing that! ;^)

Jimbo_G
  • Options
    You mean the blue ones don't go with the red ones? I was trying to make purple, but I guess it didn't work.

:^)
  • Options
    xtraexxtraex Member Posts: 1
    fastback2, I had ignition ping on my 4cyl when under stress; say accelerating uphill. Brought it up with the head mechanic at the dealership and he suggested I us premium unleaded. That's all I use now and I haven't had the problem since.
  • Options
    I also use 93 octane all the time. The car runs GREAT on it, but it kills my wallet.

Stageleft:
    I suggest you let your wife distribute your medication.
  • Options
    But we're all out of those little white paper cups ...
  • Options
    eurocareurocar Member Posts: 12
    Maybe this is a dead topic, I haven't read everything between the start of the K&N discussion and now, but here's my $.02 worth. I've used K&N drop in filters on other cars. Without a dyno, who knows? But my impression has been that throttle response is a little better at low rpms. Better yet if the exhaust system is opened up, but that seems to effect high rpms more. I do think there is some improvement at low rpms with a KN drop in, but nothing drastic. The thing is, if you don't keep them clean, they clog up with dirt and your back where you started from. It's questionable to me how long any improvement lasts, so I just change my paper filter frequently on my Cougar and figure I'm coming out about the same overall. If you are competing, say in autocross, where wins and losses come down to hundreths of a second, then any possible improvement can be significant. But on the street where those kinds of times are not measured, I don't think it matters. So far, my cat is bone stock, except for tires. Tires are where it's at as far as I'm concerned. But I think any mods that help you enjoy your car more, real or imagined, are cool as long as you've got realistic expectations.
  • Options
    fastback2fastback2 Member Posts: 55
    Thanks for the tip. Actually, I've started running 93 octane a short time after my engine started having the ping thing. About the only time it pings now is when I hit the gas at low rpm (2500-3000 rpm) in 5th gear on hot (>85°F) days. A quick downshift cures the problem.
  • Options
    Fastback2:
    The term you are looking for is "Under revving". With the chip installed, I have to run 93 octane. I tried 90, but when I under revved the engine, I also heard that annoying ping.

I never experienced a ping no matter what grade of fuel I used before I installed the chip.
  • Options
    [Crowd cheers] Bravo! Well put!
This discussion has been closed.