Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    berri said:
    I think the manufacturers have been seeing how high they can push sticker prices the past few years given the low interest rates. HyunKia now has credibility in the US, so they can join in. Of course car (vs. truck/SUV) sales have been chilly lately, so I suspect you can get a chunk of the sticker reduced. But that particular car looks kind of greedy and it is another 2+ grand if you want awd. That buys a pretty nice crossover. I also think that is getting into Audi A3 pricing.
    An A3? That's 2 size classes down. Not the least bit comparable. Plus, the Stinger is a RWD platform. That alone is more costly. 

The MSRP of a 2.0T Accord Touring is only $1200 less than a RWD Stinger 2.0T Premium. That, IMHO, is where the true comparison lies. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    It will be interesting to see what net price those Kia's sell at and how the depreciation turns out.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,539
    I still have not seen one on the road. I don't think.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

That alone is more costly.
    Why is the the case? I don't really know, but I've read comments over time along the lines that trucks have huge profit margins because the BOF is less expensive to manufacture than unibody? Maybe that is because they don't have to change the frame design all that often? My understanding is that the auto industry primarily moved from BOF cars for weight and safety reasons, so that may support the cost disadvantage thing I guess.
    edited April 2018
    BOF isn't the same as RWD. The Kia is not BOF. RWD is more expensive because of the extra components (driveshaft and differential) and assembly costs of those extra components involved. 

As for BOF, I don't know if it is less to manufacture, but I think a big reason for the profit margin is the large numbers in which they sell. Your R&D and tooling costs get spread out over the number of units you build, so the more units, the more profit.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited April 2018
    gbrozen, you raised an interesting point, so I did some research on production costs. I am not an auto industry engineer or accountant, but the actual total design and manufacturing cost appears to be slightly higher on BOF because of frame and other supporting metal. However, unibody tends to have more aluminum, alloys and high tensile steel bringing the actual average overall producer costs pretty close at similar production volume. The overall design and build cost has several other issues. BOF is cheaper to change, modify, etc. However, another cost factor is that the generally much higher production volumes and related cost efficiencies of unibody vehicles can offset some of the BOF change and modification cost difference advantage by spreading the change costs out over a wider unit volume base. Of course, trucks, performance vehicles, true SUV's generally work better with BOF. So basically it appears all things being equal, BOF would cost more to produce, but less to change or modify. However, unibody material requirements ,often narrow this difference which is why bottom line the total manufacturer cost isn't as widely different as it would initially seem on higher volume vehicle lines. In the case of high performance or high luxury vehicles, I'd guess those material costs like special metal alloys would apply equally to both types of manufacturing, which along with generally low production volume then results in making BOF a clearer higher production cost in that situation.

You are obviously correct that rwd has more parts than fwd, as well as usually lower volume, which both drive up production cost unless sharing a high volume chassis and drivetrain. Thanks for getting me to look closer at all of this.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    edited April 2018
    qbrozen said:

berri said:

I think the manufacturers have been seeing how high they can push sticker prices the past few years given the low interest rates. HyunKia now has credibility in the US, so they can join in. Of course car (vs. truck/SUV) sales have been chilly lately, so I suspect you can get a chunk of the sticker reduced. But that particular car looks kind of greedy and it is another 2+ grand if you want awd. That buys a pretty nice crossover. I also think that is getting into Audi A3 pricing.

An A3? That's 2 size classes down. Not the least bit comparable. Plus, the Stinger is a RWD platform. That alone is more costly. 

The MSRP of a 2.0T Accord Touring is only $1200 less than a RWD Stinger 2.0T Premium. That, IMHO, is where the true comparison lies. 

Agreed. I’d be willing to bet in a few months 5K (or more) off sticker on the Stinger would be doable. Hyundai/Kia follow GM’s rule of inflated sticker and then rebates and subsidized leases.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited April 2018
    Right now, truecar has $2600 off that Stinger and $3k off that Accord. I'd still rather have the RWD hatch for $1600 more, personally.

I’ve been checking out the stinger.... looks pretty nice.   What size is it exactly?  In between say a 3 and a 5 series ? 

I compared the numbers in another thread. It is very very close to a 5'er, and even exceeds it in some measurements. So I'd call it equal.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think we're veering off topic here so maybe the current discussion needs to drift over to CCBA or mid-size sedans. Thanks!
    https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/1983-mustang-notchback/6559061023.html

This one is interesting.   Probably very few 4cyl left in this kind of condition.  

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    That 4 was a thrashy beast. Not something I’d spend money on, clean or not. 
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    That Mustang needs to be paired with a 4cyl Camaro of the same era. What a time for cars.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,244
    texases said:

That 4 was a thrashy beast. Not something I’d spend money on, clean or not. 

I agree. When I graduated from college in 1985, I was looking for a new car. I looked at a Mustang of that vintage, and quickly dismissed it. I ended up buying a one-year-old Honda Accord hatchback instead

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Nicest Sunday in several weeks today, took the old dear out for a drive. Started up and ran fine, with warmer temps it will eventually be time for me to adjust the idle speed setting, I noticed just a little miss here and there, the car wants the revs kept up - this is a seasonal adjustment.

I got several waves, thumbs up, compliments, etc - seemed more than normal. One was from a guy in a late model Malibu, I didn't know imidazol97 was visiting out here B)

A gratuitous pic, parked on the street:

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,983
    I always enjoy pics of fintail. I really like the stacked 4 lamp headlights over the single 2. It just looks better and more classy and contemporary. Also I like your wide white walls especially since you keep them clean and white, yet narrow Michelin white walls would look nice too. Hard to believe that it originally dates back to the year I was born, '59. I hope I age as well!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

MB W111 and W108/109 cars are one of the few examples where US spec lights look better, at least IMO. Euro/ROW models had composite lights, one of the first cars to adopt these. It was very modern, maybe almost too modern, seems plain:

I'd never think of converting my car to these - where I'd give serious thought to converting later cars.

Funny thing, once the V8 cars were out in ~1969, MB gave these US style quad lights everywhere, to differentiate them from 6cyl models.

Regarding the single light (W110) fintails, when I was a kid, I thought those were the oldest ones, and the quad light cars were newer, as the lights are similar on W108/109 cars that were made into the early 70s. Of course, this is wrong and the lights were not directly related to age - the stacked light cars were first, the single light cars being the lower line, introduced for 1961.

I think the whitewalls have mellowed a little in the past 5 years - I thought they were too brash when I first got them, but I am glad I did, they set the car off, and are as close as I could find to a correct style - MB used wide whites through the 1964 model year.
    sda said:

I always enjoy pics of fintail. I really like the stacked 4 lamp headlights over the single 2. It just looks better and more classy and contemporary. Also I like your wide white walls especially since you keep them clean and white, yet narrow Michelin white walls would look nice too. Hard to believe that it originally dates back to the year I was born, '59. I hope I age as well!

those composite lenses always make me think of a fly eye.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited April 2018
    qbrozen said:

? Premium 2.0T is $38k and has a moonroof.

Sorry, should have edited and proofread my post.

What I meant to say, that the Stinger has an OPTION to NOT GET a moonroof, whereas most do have the moonroof, you don't have to get it! I like that!

I also like a spare tire because it's cheap and could save you countless hours stranded on the side of the road!

The Accord has a spare. What was Kia thinking in regards to the Optima!!!!!

I'm a bit soured with Kia.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited April 2018
    A quick BaT browse found this handsome beast - I kind of like it. Nice colors, nice bold crisp lines.
    Fin, I am proud of you today! Its not a Benz! haha

I should know better than to click on a BaT link. Makes me start wandering.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-nissan-be1/

edited April 2018
    Hey, my tastes can be diverse. BaT is a rabbit hole. I fear one day I'll end up bidding on something and then have to scramble to arrange the funds.

Here's a goodie, this would have been one of my dream cars when I was 11 or so onwards This had it all to my tastes then - 911 cabrio, yes. Flachbau, yes. Perfect color combo, too. Awesome local history. I remember seeing one of these in the summer of 1988, I wonder if it was the same car? Couldn't be - but this one is local. Weird. Thankfully way too rich for my blood.
    There is a blue Datsun 510 on there now I am in love with.

yeah, that's pretty nice, stick, but already over $10k and days to go.

Still cheaper than the yellow fiat x/19.

And way better!
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    edited April 2018
    fintail said:

A quick BaT browse found this handsome beast - I kind of like it. Nice colors, nice bold crisp lines.

That is almost exactly like what Mom & Dad came *that* close to buying in '71. The only difference is that ours would not have been blue back then, it would almost certainly have been a metallic shade of gold, brown or green, maybe all three. ;) I still remember being in the Ford showroom with them for a few hours in the fall/early winter of 1970 after taking a test drive. Dad was usually a GM guy but the GM strike was on and local dealers had very little inventory and no way to get more. As Dad negotiated on a deal, Mom decided this would be a deal-breaker:

That filler panel between the rear door and the C-pillar was deemed by her to be a problem because people would constantly be hitting it getting in and out. Why this suddenly was a concern I never knew as it didn't seem all that unusual to me. It wasn't like she ever sat in the back anyway. Maybe she just got cold feet, I don't know. Anyway, no deal and away we went.

One thing that disappointed me about the LTD that made me sort of glad they didn't buy it was that it didn't seem to be trimmed the way LTDs used to be. It really looked almost like a Galaxie inside. I did like the styling and the dash design though. It all worked out in the end as we ended up getting a '71 Dodge Monaco which was always one of my favorite cars of theirs.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I don't think your Dad would have liked the gas mileage!
    The upholstery in that LTD does seem plainer than I expected - I imagined it would have a fancier brocade, especially a hardtop model like that with the cool turbine hubcaps. I can't imagine the notch below the C-pillar would have been an issue, I think your mom just didn't like it, and was crafty :)

For that style of LTD. I'd rather have a 70 - the hidden headlights are extremely cool:

Mileage might not have mattered in 1971, but by 1974, the gas price spikes might leave a mark. 1971 was just about the end of the era, I suppose.
    ab348 said:

That is almost exactly like what Mom & Dad came *that* close to buying in '71. The only difference is that ours would not have been blue back then, it would almost certainly have been a metallic shade of gold, brown or green, maybe all three. ;) I still remember being in the Ford showroom with them for a few hours in the fall/early winter of 1970 after taking a test drive. Dad was usually a GM guy but the GM strike was on and local dealers had very little inventory and no way to get more. As Dad negotiated on a deal, Mom decided this would be a deal-breaker:

That filler panel between the rear door and the C-pillar was deemed by her to be a problem because people would constantly be hitting it getting in and out. Why this suddenly was a concern I never knew as it didn't seem all that unusual to me. It wasn't like she ever sat in the back anyway. Maybe she just got cold feet, I don't know. Anyway, no deal and away we went.

One thing that disappointed me about the LTD that made me sort of glad they didn't buy it was that it didn't seem to be trimmed the way LTDs used to be. It really looked almost like a Galaxie inside. I did like the styling and the dash design though. It all worked out in the end as we ended up getting a '71 Dodge Monaco which was always one of my favorite cars of theirs.

Didn't Ford offer an upscale LTD (Limited or Brougham or some such) model version around then?
    Yes they did, and it was a "Brougham". You could get a 2D or 4D or 4D hardtop in the Brougham, but not the convertible, as in the regular LTD.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    @Mr_Shiftright,
    Wheeler Dealers has an episode tonight about a modern Mini Cooper S.
    I thought you might be amused.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited April 2018
    I just watched the Grand Wagoneer episode.   The new guy is no Edd, but the show is still watchable.  

I have not watched at all this season. But they are all backed up on the DVR in case I feel like it!

edited April 2018
    My wife hates it so I end up streaming them while on the Eliptical or Treadmill at the gym (from the Comcast DVR) 

@Mr_Shiftright,
    Wheeler Dealers has an episode tonight about a modern Mini Cooper S.
    I thought you might be amused.

I don't have cable but it's nice to know that a car is finally going to give them a severe thrashing.

"Don't wash it. Don't start it up. Just sell it".
    they can handle the clutch at least. I remember Edd dropping the entire drivetrain on a boxster to do the clutch on that car (maybe some other stuff too). pretty cool. disconnect stuff up top, lift it up, a few bots undone, and engine and trans just drop right out.

tjc78 said:

I just watched the Grand Wagoneer episode.   The new guy is no Edd, but the show is still watchable.  

I liked that Wagoneer episode, except their decision to raise it. I think that was money wasted, folks would have paid just as much for a stock-height Wagoneer.
    Oh, this poor poor car. :(

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/202812524

Let's all bow our heads in a moment of silence for the fallen.

nasty

edited April 2018
    stickguy said:

they can handle the clutch at least. I remember Edd dropping the entire drivetrain on a boxster to do the clutch on that car (maybe some other stuff too). pretty cool. disconnect stuff up top, lift it up, a few bots undone, and engine and trans just drop right out.

The clutch is a monster job. Here's what his Mini might will look like at the halfway point:

Now you know why I'm not crazy when I say "if the clutch goes, the car gets junked". Of course, on a newer Mini you'd bear the expense---probably $3,000 by the time you're done.

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Wow. That clutch job has to include a long list of, "while we're in there we should also replace..."
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    "while we're in there we should also replace..."
    ...everything. (?)

That's over and above the $3K I suspect. Sure, while you're "in there" (and you are REALLY in there), you'd do the water pump, change out the oil in the supercharger, and of course this is the perfect time to do belts and hoses. These cars use a dual-mass flywheel and that needs replacing as well---and of course the pilot bushing, the flywheel guide pins, and TO bearing and clutch slave.

So unless your car is worth well over $5,000, you'd think twice about doing all this. You'd probably be better off just buying another used one that's newer and has fewer miles.

That's over and above the $3K I suspect. Sure, while you're "in there" (and you are REALLY in there), you'd do the water pump, change out the oil in the supercharger, and of course this is the perfect time to do belts and hoses. These cars use a dual-mass flywheel and that needs replacing as well---and of course the pilot bushing, the flywheel guide pins, and TO bearing and clutch slave.

So unless your car is worth well over $5,000, you'd think twice about doing all this. You'd probably be better off just buying another used one that's newer and has fewer miles.

So, no clutch job on the MINI in last night's episode, but they did do the 100K service, which was an exhaustive list, including the supercharger oil. Was fascinating to watch, even though I am fairly mechanically incompetent.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Aw, man, SPOILER ALERT! I haven't watched it yet! ;)
    texases said:

Aw, man, SPOILER ALERT! I haven't watched it yet! ;)

Oh, crap.

I'm sorry to have ruined it for you.

Still, you should watch it. Having had two MINIs in the family, it was a great show to watch.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

So, no clutch job on the MINI in last night's episode, but they did do the 100K service, which was an exhaustive list, including the supercharger oil. Was fascinating to watch, even though I am fairly mechanically incompetent.
    Yes the supercharger oil is somewhat tedious, but not too, too bad. I've never done it. This must be an older Mini if it has a supercharger. If they had to do a clutch, and it was a supercharged car, they'd be working for nothing come resale. I hope they know the market for these cars.