Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco new yorkPosts: 3,838

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,615
    Well jmonroe, you better get with it, otherwise you could end up like Commander Decker.

Matt Decker: [distraught] They say there's no devil, Jim, but there is, right out of Hell. I saw it!

Capt. Kirk: Matt, where's your crew?

Matt Decker: On the third planet.

Capt. Kirk: There IS no third planet!

Matt Decker: [anguished] Don't you think I know that? There was, but not anymore! They called me; they BEGGED me for help, four hundred of them! I couldn't... I-I couldn't...

[begins sobbing]
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,390
    edited August 2018
    I like the Marco post about the ten million Mustangs.

I owned two of them relatively early on in that ten million. I had a 1967 and 1970.

Whoops. I owned 3 of them. I also had a 1979 Pace Car that I won.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

edited August 2018
    Good news for @abacomike and others in FL and the south. NOAA announces fewer hurricanes and names storms are likely due to cooler ocean temps.

"In a Thursday (Aug. 9) report, NOAA experts said cooler-than-average sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea are part of the reason they are predicting fewer storms.
    https://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2018/08/noaa_hurricane_forecast_update.html

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,375

I kind of like this harder edged jmonroe1 as a contrast to the soft and cuddly jmonroe. :)

I don't think I ever met that guy. :p

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

edited August 2018
    ab348 said:

I kind of like this harder edged jmonroe1 as a contrast to the soft and cuddly jmonroe. :)

I don't think I ever met that guy. :p
    He hasn't posted here much yet, so we haven't had a chance to get a feel for his thinking. Only 8 posts.

edited August 2018
    My first Mustang was an 86 GT manual 5 speed hatch. It was fun, but I only kept it for about a year and half.
    When I traded it in 1988, there was still a backlash on the styling that started in 87.
    Just about 27 years ago, we bought a 1991 GT convertible.
    It's Oxford White with black top and interior. I'm going to drive it to tomorrow.
    It still looks great and I think it has less that 42k on it.
    Picture taken in the driveway a couple of years ago.

Explore like the car, can see every detail as you know like the shape of it. 
  • berriberri Posts: 9,938
    That new guy may be a Ruskie infiltrator :D
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,524
    So you all can get laugh on me.... we are in Baltimore for an event for the wife’s line of work.  The actual event takes place at a Villa right on the harbor outside of the city.  

So.... last night they got hammered with rain.   Only place to park about 1000 cars is on the grass. Cars were getting stuck left and right.  

I parked just fine, and thought I had a nice easy line to concrete to get out.  That of course changed as they stacked more and more people in. 

We go to leave and I go for it.  All was good until someone flew out in the next row and I had to stop in a deep rut left by someone else.   It was over the Enclave was stuck and sinking.   They had a guy there pulling everyone out .... for $40.  Car is covered in mud, valet guy at the hotel was like what the heck happened.    Oh well... I’ll follow up this post tomoorow with a pic 

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

@tbirdmarco,
    When we bought it I was 35, so I didn't know about this, but my wife's younger brother did and were pretty excited.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ice+ice+baby+video&view=detail&mid=01B7DC025E2F8BD2E6B701B7DC025E2F8BD2E6B7&FORM=VIRE
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,569

@oldfarmer50,
    Scroll to the bottom of the page and look for 'site map'
    Click on it, and over on the right is a link to 'switch to categorized view'.
    Look for Communities, you should see Forums. Click on that.

Wow, is this intuitive or what?
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 942

Good news for @abacomike and others in FL and the south. NOAA announces fewer hurricanes and names storms are likely due to cooler ocean temps.

"In a Thursday (Aug. 9) report, NOAA experts said cooler-than-average sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea are part of the reason they are predicting fewer storms.
    https://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2018/08/noaa_hurricane_forecast_update.html

So much for global warming. Bring back the good ole days. Of course that news is coming from weather men.

jmonroe
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 13,056

My first Mustang was an 86 GT manual 5 speed hatch. It was fun, but I only kept it for about a year and half.
    When I traded it in 1988, there was still a backlash on the styling that started in 87.
    Just about 27 years ago, we bought a 1991 GT convertible.
    It's Oxford White with black top and interior. I'm going to drive it to tomorrow.
    It still looks great and I think it has less that 42k on it.
    Picture taken in the driveway a couple of years ago.

Wow! 42k on a 30 yo car? That sends a tingle up my leg. :)

I'm still on the hunt for my low mile hooptie convertible. Went and looked at a 99 Sebring last night that was cheap...too cheap. The seller took pictures from just the right angle to not reveal the banged in fender or the messed up bumper cover. Had a lifter tick (or maybe exhaust manifold) on start up and the valve covers leaked. Didn't even test drive it.

Now I'm hunting farther afield. There's a nice top trim level in central MA and another with very low milage in CT. Both about 21/2 hours from me. The Chryslers suit me because I don't have to outbid the true enthusists. I've also been shopping the 3G eclipse but they're much scarcer and much pricier in low mile form.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,569
    edited August 2018
    jmonroe1 said:

You're going to have to find a better way to get your post count up.

His tried and true way is to answer everything under the sun individually -- don't think he needs a "better" way, since he appears to post 5-10 a day the way it is. There aren't too many people who have over 20K posts that are all on the same board.

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 10,362
    Good news for @abacomike and others in FL and the south. NOAA announces fewer hurricanes and names storms are likely due to cooler ocean temps. "In a Thursday (Aug. 9) report, NOAA experts said cooler-than-average sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea are part of the reason they are predicting fewer storms. https://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2018/08/noaa_hurricane_forecast_update.html
    What a relief!  Thanks for the info, imid.

2018 Mercedes S450

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077

I'm switching my stuff over from my work e-mail (with its bulletproof firewall(s)) to my home e-mail, given my recent retirement. Now I'm signed into this new account thing with my home e-mail, while everything I did previously was with the work e-mail. Should be interesting.

If you have any issues, please contact us at [email protected] I know that address seems impersonal, but ALL of the tickets related to the changeover come to me, so it's not like you'll be dealing with someone who has no clue what you're talking about.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    abacomike said:

WI am so happy to finally spend some quality time with my youngest grandson - I am floating on air!!!  :)

I'm very happy for you! Grandkids are the best.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 10,362
    Kirstie_H said:

abacomike said:

WI am so happy to finally spend some quality time with my youngest grandson - I am floating on air!!!  :)

I'm very happy for you! Grandkids are the best.
    Yes, they are. And thanks for the kind words, Kirstie. I only get to see my son once a year and my grandsons infrequently. I wish I could fly - doctors just won't let me. It's 3 hours to DFW and another 3 hours to PSP. Then add an hour or two for layover, and it just is too much stress on my body. I have a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot) in my left femoral vein. That's why I take blood thinners. Sitting for that long a time in one spot is dangerous, according to the doctors. So, I take what ever I can get from bringing them here from California.

2018 Mercedes S450

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,404
    jmonroe1 said:

So much for global warming. Bring back the good ole days. Of course that news is coming from weather men.

jmonroe
    I think jmonroe1 should be allowed to stay....much shorter posts. It has to be an imposter.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,121

I owned two of them relatively early on in that ten million. I had a 1967 and 1970.

My dad had a 1965, a 1967, and a 1970. I learned to drive in the 1970. I wouldn't mind having an early Mustang, but it would have to be a Boss 302 or a 1966-1968 GT350.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

My dad had a 1965, a 1967, and a 1970. I learned to drive in the 1970. I wouldn't mind having an early Mustang, but it would have to be a Boss 302 or a 1966-1968 GT350.
    I heard a rumor that the 2018s are having a problem with engines blowing up. Has anyone read anything about this or is it just sour grapes by Camaro owners?

Some of the tuners I've seen raise the rev limit to 7500 rpm. I wonder if that makes them fail.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Good morning everyone, happy Friday. Who is this G Monroe one that is posting in here now Ha ha ha, is this an imposter where is this the old G Monroe in the skies Ha ha ha. You know you got a bust chops in here with him 
     Good luck in finding your low mileage 58 former. Keep on looking I’m sure you’ll find something soon. Haven’t had to re-sign in here on my phone or on the computer system updates that it means did the other day. But it’s working good for now nothing to create an insider account. And keep it the way I have it. 
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,090
    edited August 2018

Kirstie and PF Flyer - I want to say that I appreciate everything you're doing to help all of us, and I think you're doing a good job. I just wonder what's causing me problems with my desktop login. I am using the correct e-mail address and password. It spins the waiting circle around, then lands me on the same page Dan Hood gets sent to - asking for our screen name, car we drive, etc. If there was something we could click on on that page that would let us in, we'd be in like Flint!

As someone else pointed out, you may have used the create a new account instead of the link to sign in when you already have an account. The social media login and account creation options do tend to visually dominate that popup :)

Down there by that arrow thing...

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,090
    edited August 2018
    But to be fair, getting us forums types transitioned was not the purpose of the new registration popup. That's all about signing up new Insiders going forward (who I KNOW you will all welcome warmly when they show up in the forums).

That being said, things went about as seamless as anything like this could go. Thanks again for helping US out by keeping an eye out for things that appear to be getting wonky.

One of my favorite "transition" stories that illustrates how even decent, law-abiding-instruction-following types... like ME... can make a wrong turn.

I forget what year it was that PA started to let you turn right on a red light, but it was an adjustment. I was very hesitant at first because I knew other drivers might not be used to cars pulling out while they were approaching a green light.

Then, we went through a stage of people honking behind you if you didn't IMMEDIATELY turn right on red. Just because you CAN, don't mean you HAVE to... but back to the point...

So we're all used to right-on-red and I'm on a mid-morning errand from where I work at the time with another employee, and I pull up to the red light, look both ways and make a LEFT. There was no traffic, so no drama. (No nearby officer either) But I had gotten USED to pulling up to a red light, stopping, and then making my turn if the traffic was clear.

Just like the popup... SIGN IN... SIGN IN.... SIGN UP.....sign in

Easy to see how some mistakes happen :)

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 15,332
    PF_Flyer said:
    But to be fair, getting us forums types transitioned was not the purpose of the new registration popup. That's all about signing up new Insiders going forward (who I KNOW you will all welcome warmly when they show up in the forums). That being said, things went about as seamless as anything like this could go. Thanks again for helping US out by keeping an eye out for things that appear to be getting wonky. One of my favorite "transition" stories that illustrates how even decent, law-abiding-instruction-following types... like ME... can make a wrong turn. I forget what year it was that PA started to let you turn right on a red light, but it was an adjustment. I was very hesitant at first because I knew other drivers might not be used to cars pulling out while they were approaching a green light. Then, we went through a stage of people honking behind you if you didn't IMMEDIATELY turn right on red. Just because you CAN, don't mean you HAVE to... but back to the point... So we're all used to right-on-red and I'm on a mid-morning errand from where I work at the time with another employee, and I pull up to the red light, look both ways and make a LEFT. There was no traffic, so no drama. (No nearby officer either) But I had gotten USED to pulling up to a red light, stopping, and then making my turn if the traffic was clear. Just like the popup... SIGN IN... SIGN IN.... SIGN UP.....sign in Easy to see how some mistakes happen :)
    We will warmly welcome all new comers to this forum once they have been properly hazed err I mean gone through the initiation process.

Illinois started the right turn on red in 77 (I know as it was the same year I got my license) so PA should have been around the same time.

2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

I think jmonroe1 should be allowed to stay....much shorter posts. It has to be an imposter.

We should pronounce that im-POST-er, since the new guy is post-ing.

More thoughts on Mustangs.

I'm watching "What's my Car Worth" where they are appraising a 69 Mustang Boss 429. That's a massive motor yet the listed 0-60 time is only 7.1 seconds. A modern stock GT could eat its' lunch. Whoda thunk?

From what the 69 went for at auction it looks like a modern car is about $350,000 cheaper too.