Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @tbirdmarco,
    When we bought it I was 35, so I didn't know about this, but my wife's younger brother did and were pretty excited.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ice+ice+baby+video&view=detail&mid=01B7DC025E2F8BD2E6B701B7DC025E2F8BD2E6B7&FORM=VIRE
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504

@oldfarmer50,
    Scroll to the bottom of the page and look for 'site map'
    Click on it, and over on the right is a link to 'switch to categorized view'.
    Look for Communities, you should see Forums. Click on that.

Wow, is this intuitive or what?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

Good news for @abacomike and others in FL and the south. NOAA announces fewer hurricanes and names storms are likely due to cooler ocean temps.

"In a Thursday (Aug. 9) report, NOAA experts said cooler-than-average sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea are part of the reason they are predicting fewer storms.
    https://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2018/08/noaa_hurricane_forecast_update.html

So much for global warming. Bring back the good ole days. Of course that news is coming from weather men.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

My first Mustang was an 86 GT manual 5 speed hatch. It was fun, but I only kept it for about a year and half.
    When I traded it in 1988, there was still a backlash on the styling that started in 87.
    Just about 27 years ago, we bought a 1991 GT convertible.
    It's Oxford White with black top and interior. I'm going to drive it to tomorrow.
    It still looks great and I think it has less that 42k on it.
    Picture taken in the driveway a couple of years ago.

Wow! 42k on a 30 yo car? That sends a tingle up my leg. :)

I'm still on the hunt for my low mile hooptie convertible. Went and looked at a 99 Sebring last night that was cheap...too cheap. The seller took pictures from just the right angle to not reveal the banged in fender or the messed up bumper cover. Had a lifter tick (or maybe exhaust manifold) on start up and the valve covers leaked. Didn't even test drive it.

Now I'm hunting farther afield. There's a nice top trim level in central MA and another with very low milage in CT. Both about 21/2 hours from me. The Chryslers suit me because I don't have to outbid the true enthusists. I've also been shopping the 3G eclipse but they're much scarcer and much pricier in low mile form.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited August 2018
    jmonroe1 said:

You're going to have to find a better way to get your post count up.

His tried and true way is to answer everything under the sun individually -- don't think he needs a "better" way, since he appears to post 5-10 a day the way it is. There aren't too many people who have over 20K posts that are all on the same board.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Good news for @abacomike and others in FL and the south. NOAA announces fewer hurricanes and names storms are likely due to cooler ocean temps. "In a Thursday (Aug. 9) report, NOAA experts said cooler-than-average sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea are part of the reason they are predicting fewer storms. https://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2018/08/noaa_hurricane_forecast_update.html
    What a relief!  Thanks for the info, imid.

2021 Genesis G90

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

I'm switching my stuff over from my work e-mail (with its bulletproof firewall(s)) to my home e-mail, given my recent retirement. Now I'm signed into this new account thing with my home e-mail, while everything I did previously was with the work e-mail. Should be interesting.

If you have any issues, please contact us at help@edmunds.com. I know that address seems impersonal, but ALL of the tickets related to the changeover come to me, so it's not like you'll be dealing with someone who has no clue what you're talking about.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    edited July 2019
    abacomike said:

WI am so happy to finally spend some quality time with my youngest grandson - I am floating on air!!!  :)

I'm very happy for you! Grandkids are the best.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Kirstie_H said:

abacomike said:

WI am so happy to finally spend some quality time with my youngest grandson - I am floating on air!!!  :)

I'm very happy for you! Grandkids are the best.
    Yes, they are. And thanks for the kind words, Kirstie. I only get to see my son once a year and my grandsons infrequently. I wish I could fly - doctors just won't let me. It's 3 hours to DFW and another 3 hours to PSP. Then add an hour or two for layover, and it just is too much stress on my body. I have a deep vein thrombosis (blood clot) in my left femoral vein. That's why I take blood thinners. Sitting for that long a time in one spot is dangerous, according to the doctors. So, I take what ever I can get from bringing them here from California.

2021 Genesis G90

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    jmonroe1 said:

Good news for @abacomike and others in FL and the south. NOAA announces fewer hurricanes and names storms are likely due to cooler ocean temps.

"In a Thursday (Aug. 9) report, NOAA experts said cooler-than-average sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea are part of the reason they are predicting fewer storms.
    https://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2018/08/noaa_hurricane_forecast_update.html

So much for global warming. Bring back the good ole days. Of course that news is coming from weather men.

jmonroe
    I think jmonroe1 should be allowed to stay....much shorter posts. It has to be an imposter.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

I like the Marco post about the ten million Mustangs.

I owned two of them relatively early on in that ten million. I had a 1967 and 1970.

Whoops. I owned 3 of them. I also had a 1979 Pace Car that I won.

My dad had a 1965, a 1967, and a 1970. I learned to drive in the 1970. I wouldn't mind having an early Mustang, but it would have to be a Boss 302 or a 1966-1968 GT350.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I like the Marco post about the ten million Mustangs.

I owned two of them relatively early on in that ten million. I had a 1967 and 1970.

Whoops. I owned 3 of them. I also had a 1979 Pace Car that I won.

My dad had a 1965, a 1967, and a 1970. I learned to drive in the 1970. I wouldn't mind having an early Mustang, but it would have to be a Boss 302 or a 1966-1968 GT350.
    I heard a rumor that the 2018s are having a problem with engines blowing up. Has anyone read anything about this or is it just sour grapes by Camaro owners?

Some of the tuners I've seen raise the rev limit to 7500 rpm. I wonder if that makes them fail.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     Good morning everyone, happy Friday. Who is this G Monroe one that is posting in here now Ha ha ha, is this an imposter where is this the old G Monroe in the skies Ha ha ha. You know you got a bust chops in here with him 
  • tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     Good luck in finding your low mileage 58 former. Keep on looking I’m sure you’ll find something soon. Haven’t had to re-sign in here on my phone or on the computer system updates that it means did the other day. But it’s working good for now nothing to create an insider account. And keep it the way I have it. 
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited August 2018

Kirstie and PF Flyer - I want to say that I appreciate everything you're doing to help all of us, and I think you're doing a good job. I just wonder what's causing me problems with my desktop login. I am using the correct e-mail address and password. It spins the waiting circle around, then lands me on the same page Dan Hood gets sent to - asking for our screen name, car we drive, etc. If there was something we could click on on that page that would let us in, we'd be in like Flint!

As someone else pointed out, you may have used the create a new account instead of the link to sign in when you already have an account. The social media login and account creation options do tend to visually dominate that popup :)

Down there by that arrow thing...

edited August 2018
    But to be fair, getting us forums types transitioned was not the purpose of the new registration popup. That's all about signing up new Insiders going forward (who I KNOW you will all welcome warmly when they show up in the forums).

That being said, things went about as seamless as anything like this could go. Thanks again for helping US out by keeping an eye out for things that appear to be getting wonky.

One of my favorite "transition" stories that illustrates how even decent, law-abiding-instruction-following types... like ME... can make a wrong turn.

I forget what year it was that PA started to let you turn right on a red light, but it was an adjustment. I was very hesitant at first because I knew other drivers might not be used to cars pulling out while they were approaching a green light.

Then, we went through a stage of people honking behind you if you didn't IMMEDIATELY turn right on red. Just because you CAN, don't mean you HAVE to... but back to the point...

So we're all used to right-on-red and I'm on a mid-morning errand from where I work at the time with another employee, and I pull up to the red light, look both ways and make a LEFT. There was no traffic, so no drama. (No nearby officer either) But I had gotten USED to pulling up to a red light, stopping, and then making my turn if the traffic was clear.

Just like the popup... SIGN IN... SIGN IN.... SIGN UP.....sign in

Easy to see how some mistakes happen :)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    PF_Flyer said:
    But to be fair, getting us forums types transitioned was not the purpose of the new registration popup. That's all about signing up new Insiders going forward (who I KNOW you will all welcome warmly when they show up in the forums). That being said, things went about as seamless as anything like this could go. Thanks again for helping US out by keeping an eye out for things that appear to be getting wonky. One of my favorite "transition" stories that illustrates how even decent, law-abiding-instruction-following types... like ME... can make a wrong turn. I forget what year it was that PA started to let you turn right on a red light, but it was an adjustment. I was very hesitant at first because I knew other drivers might not be used to cars pulling out while they were approaching a green light. Then, we went through a stage of people honking behind you if you didn't IMMEDIATELY turn right on red. Just because you CAN, don't mean you HAVE to... but back to the point... So we're all used to right-on-red and I'm on a mid-morning errand from where I work at the time with another employee, and I pull up to the red light, look both ways and make a LEFT. There was no traffic, so no drama. (No nearby officer either) But I had gotten USED to pulling up to a red light, stopping, and then making my turn if the traffic was clear. Just like the popup... SIGN IN... SIGN IN.... SIGN UP.....sign in Easy to see how some mistakes happen :)
    We will warmly welcome all new comers to this forum once they have been properly hazed err I mean gone through the initiation process.

Illinois started the right turn on red in 77 (I know as it was the same year I got my license) so PA should have been around the same time.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    driver100 said:

I think jmonroe1 should be allowed to stay....much shorter posts. It has to be an imposter.

We should pronounce that im-POST-er, since the new guy is post-ing.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

More thoughts on Mustangs.

I'm watching "What's my Car Worth" where they are appraising a 69 Mustang Boss 429. That's a massive motor yet the listed 0-60 time is only 7.1 seconds. A modern stock GT could eat its' lunch. Whoda thunk?

From what the 69 went for at auction it looks like a modern car is about $350,000 cheaper too.

I like the Marco post about the ten million Mustangs. I owned two of them relatively early on in that ten million. I had a 1967 and 1970. Whoops. I owned 3 of them. I also had a 1979 Pace Car that I won.
    I heard a rumor that the 2018s are having a problem with engines blowing up. Has anyone read anything about this or is it just sour grapes by Camaro owners? Some of the tuners I've seen raise the rev limit to 7500 rpm. I wonder if that makes them fail.
    There is some noise on the internet regarding the drive train. Maybe tuning it, maybe just some people having bad luck or could be a real issue. Let's wait and see.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    put the tires from 1969 on the current car and see what it does for traction!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

More thoughts on Mustangs. I'm watching "What's my Car Worth" where they are appraising a 69 Mustang Boss 429. That's a massive motor yet the listed 0-60 time is only 7.1 seconds. A modern stock GT could eat its' lunch. Whoda thunk? From what the 69 went for at auction it looks like a modern car is about $350,000 cheaper too.
    There are a lot of 6 cylinder cars out there that can eat that 69 Boss. Now I had a friend in high school that had a 69 Boss 429 and if memory recalls it was a bit faster to 60 than 7.1 seconds. But note that the 429 engine was said to be able to run at 9k RPM without fail but Ford limited the RPMs to a little ove 6k. 

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    PF_Flyer said:

But to be fair, getting us forums types transitioned was not the purpose of the new registration popup. That's all about signing up new Insiders going forward (who I KNOW you will all welcome warmly when they show up in the forums).

That being said, things went about as seamless as anything like this could go. Thanks again for helping US out by keeping an eye out for things that appear to be getting wonky.

One of my favorite "transition" stories that illustrates how even decent, law-abiding-instruction-following types... like ME... can make a wrong turn.

I forget what year it was that PA started to let you turn right on a red light, but it was an adjustment. I was very hesitant at first because I knew other drivers might not be used to cars pulling out while they were approaching a green light.

Then, we went through a stage of people honking behind you if you didn't IMMEDIATELY turn right on red. Just because you CAN, don't mean you HAVE to... but back to the point...

So we're all used to right-on-red and I'm on a mid-morning errand from where I work at the time with another employee, and I pull up to the red light, look both ways and make a LEFT. There was no traffic, so no drama. (No nearby officer either) But I had gotten USED to pulling up to a red light, stopping, and then making my turn if the traffic was clear.

Just like the popup... SIGN IN... SIGN IN.... SIGN UP.....sign in

Easy to see how some mistakes happen :)

Within the 5 Boroughs of New York City you CANNOT make a Right Turn on Red (except for a handful of intersections. In New York State, you CAN make a Right Turn on Red. In certain cities in New York State (like White Plains) you can make a Left Turn on Red from a One Way Street onto another One Way Street.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited August 2018
    I know it's been a long week since the first thing I thought about the 10 millionth Mustang was... If I put them end to end, how far would they stretch? Of course, I HAD to know now... so I took the length of each generation (original was 181 inches, shrunk a bit for 2 generations, now up to 188) simply averaged those (if someone else wants to adjust for production numbers, have at it) multiplied by 10 million, converted to feet, then miles...

Came up with 28,698 miles... earth is about 24,901 miles at the equator, so we coulda made a ring of Mustangs around the planet!
    PF_Flyer said:
    I know it's been a long week since the first thing I thought about the 10 millionth Mustang was... If I put them end to end, how far would they stretch? Of course, I HAD to know now... so I took the length of each generation (original was 181 inches, shrunk a bit for 2 generations, now up to 188) simply averaged those (if someone else wants to adjust for production numbers, have at it) multiplied by 10 million, converted to feet, then miles... Came up with 28,698 miles... earth is about 24,901 miles at the equator, so we coulda made a ring of Mustangs around the planet!
    Or considering the typical parking space size of 9 X 18 feet they would fill up just over 58 square miles.

Now only 5 million to go to beat the model T and 11.5 million to go to beat the Beatle.

edited August 2018
    Some folks have too much time on their hands. LOL :D

@abacomike
    Enjoy your visit with you son and grandkids.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    PF_Flyer said:

Here in Nova Scotia (I think some other jurisdictions too) you can make a left turn on red if it is an intersection of two one-way streets where it would be allowed on a green light.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I'm watching "What's my Car Worth" where they are appraising a 69 Mustang Boss 429. That's a massive motor yet the listed 0-60 time is only 7.1 seconds. A modern stock GT could eat its' lunch. Whoda thunk?

From what the 69 went for at auction it looks like a modern car is about $350,000 cheaper too.

It is easy for the young'uns to forget that for many years a sub-7 second 0 to 60 time meant you were driving a very fast car. Most muscle cars in that era were around that time, and in many cases were not easy to drive in daily use (think of the Chrysler Hemis in the late '60s). It is only in recent years that blistering 0-60 times became more common for affordable everyday cars.

PF_Flyer said:

I know it's been a long week since the first thing I thought about the 10 millionth Mustang was... If I put them end to end, how far would they stretch? Of course, I HAD to know now... so I took the length of each generation (original was 181 inches, shrunk a bit for 2 generations, now up to 188) simply averaged those (if someone else wants to adjust for production numbers, have at it) multiplied by 10 million, converted to feet, then miles...

Came up with 28,698 miles... earth is about 24,901 miles at the equator, so we coulda made a ring of Mustangs around the planet!

Yeh, but how many E400s would it take to go around the earth?

edited August 2018
    @abacomike Enjoy your visit with you son and grandkids.
    Thanks, imid.  Right now we are at Sawgrass Mills - a 300+ store indoor mall.  I just gave them my AMEX and I am sitting in a massage recliner stuffing $1,00 bills in the slot.  I told them to leave me enough money so I can buy food for the rest of the month!  ;):D:pB)

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:
    @abacomike Enjoy your visit with you son and grandkids.
    Thanks, imid.  Right now we are at Sawgrass Mills - a 300+ store indoor mall.  I just gave them my AMEX and I am sitting in a massage recliner stuffing $1,00 bills in the slot.  I told them to leave me enough money so I can buy food for the rest of the month!  ;):D:pB)
    You are one brave man.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    edited August 2018

The Boss 429 was sold to homologate the motor for NASCAR Grand National(Now Monster Energy NASCAR Cup) racing .It was never known as a quarter mile terror, it being somewhat nose heavy.

As I've mentioned before I have a 1991 magazine that is a compilation of road tests from the old Hi-Performance Cars magazine. The fastest 1/4 mile time was a 12.5 posted by a 1969 Motion Performance big block Camaro- with 4.10 gears, uncapped headers and slicks. Aside from that car most of the others put up 1/4 mile ETs in the 13.5-14.5 second range. Those times are on the SLOW side of average for performance cars these days. My 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 could run in the low 14 second range all day long- and that's with a 2.3 liter turbo that averaged 26+ mpg over the 8 years and 158,000 miles I had it

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    I was reading a piece last week on the 74 GTO (nova version). Compared to the 64, it was within about 1-2 tenths 0-60 and in the 1/4. That was the 350 vs. the old 389.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

ab348 said:

It is easy for the young'uns to forget that for many years a sub-7 second 0 to 60 time meant you were driving a very fast car. Most muscle cars in that era were around that time, and in many cases were not easy to drive in daily use (think of the Chrysler Hemis in the late '60s). It is only in recent years that blistering 0-60 times became more common for affordable everyday cars.
    Which is all the more amazing given how clean and fuel efficient modern motors are. The 429 probably got 10 on the highway vs. 30+ in my car. What a great time to be alive B) . At the apex of ICE just before everything goes electric and self driving. :'(

More thoughts on Mustangs. I'm watching "What's my Car Worth" where they are appraising a 69 Mustang Boss 429. That's a massive motor yet the listed 0-60 time is only 7.1 seconds. A modern stock GT could eat its' lunch. Whoda thunk? From what the 69 went for at auction it looks like a modern car is about $350,000 cheaper too.
    Which is all the more amazing given how clean and fuel efficient modern motors are. The 429 probably got 10 on the highway vs. 30+ in my car. What a great time to be alive B) . At the apex of ICE just before everything goes electric and self driving. :'(
    IIRC my friends 429 got in the low teens highway and maybe 8 or 9 city. Yeah it drank dinosaur juice like there was no tomorrow.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Well jmonroe, you better get with it, otherwise you could end up like Commander Decker.

Matt Decker: [distraught] They say there's no devil, Jim, but there is, right out of Hell. I saw it!

Capt. Kirk: Matt, where's your crew?

Matt Decker: On the third planet.

Capt. Kirk: There IS no third planet!

Matt Decker: [anguished] Don't you think I know that? There was, but not anymore! They called me; they BEGGED me for help, four hundred of them! I couldn't... I-I couldn't...

[begins sobbing]

"Damn it, Jim! I'm a forums host, not a software engineer!"
    Well jmonroe, you better get with it, otherwise you could end up like Commander Decker. Matt Decker: [distraught] They say there's no devil, Jim, but there is, right out of Hell. I saw it! Capt. Kirk: Matt, where's your crew? Matt Decker: On the third planet. Capt. Kirk: There IS no third planet! Matt Decker: [anguished] Don't you think I know that? There was, but not anymore! They called me; they BEGGED me for help, four hundred of them! I couldn't... I-I couldn't... [begins sobbing]
    "Damn it, Jim! I'm a forums host, not a software engineer!"
    Just don't wear a red shirt and you'll be fine.

edited August 2018
    stickguy said:

now if Driver and Isell can do it, should be set!

Thanks for that Stick! :p

I seem to have done it...but, I don't think I could do it again.

Neither JMonroe has shown up today. He is the guy with the split personalities. The green one is pretty nasty, and the red sunburned one is nicer but isn't as talkative. I think he should only be allowed to be one or the other, two is too many.

edited August 2018
    Well, after shopping, my son lost his cell phone.  So we ran over to an ATT store, cancelled his lost phone and tried to get him a replacement phone.  I had to pay them $356 for past due charges and another $278 for start-up and accessories to get him a new phone.

Who was it that said once the kids leave home, worries and expenses diminish or disappear?  That individual never met my son!

He thinks he left on the counter at the pizza place, but someone obviously picked it up.  My son suffers from short term memory problems as a result of his brain cancer and radiation to destroy the cancer.

Yep, very expensive few days.  But - at least he is a cancer survivor like me and he is alive.  Nothing else matters - besides it’s only money!

2021 Genesis G90

I recently saw something on the internet while checking into locators for Android cell phones. If the location is turned on in the phone, there was something about signing into the Google account to which the phone is registered and being able to see the location.

My antivirus in the phone says it also can locate the phone if I sign into my antivirus account.

I like the idea of one that can destroy the phone so it's not useful if someone takes it.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    I can confirm the locator for Android phones, I've used it a few times.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    abacomike said:

Well, after shopping, my son lost his cell phone. Yep, very expensive few days.  But - at least he is a cancer survivor like me and he is alive.  Nothing else matters - besides it’s only money!

Unfortunate Mike. Just say what I say.....this ain't costing me anything. It is coming out of the kids inheritance......they will be paying for it.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    Well, I guess jmonroe got left behind on the 3rd planet. :s
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Well, I guess jmonroe got left behind on the 3rd planet. :s
    So jmonroe got done in by a giant space cannoli.

pensfan83 said:

I can confirm the locator for Android phones, I've used it a few times.

I looked it up again. Yeah. Lock. Erase. are also available!

I recently saw something on the internet while checking into locators for Android cell phones. If the location is turned on in the phone, there was something about signing into the Google account to which the phone is registered and being able to see the location.

My antivirus in the phone says it also can locate the phone if I sign into my antivirus account.

I like the idea of one that can destroy the phone so it's not useful if someone takes it.

Apple has a similar "Find my iPhone" function, though I don't think it can lock or disable it. Stand to be corrected on the latter though.

We are under a severe thunderstorm warning at this moment.  Where do you think my son and grandson are?  Both of them went downstairs with their phones and are taking photos of the dark thunderclouds and lightning and it is pouring out.  One might ask, “...are you guys nuts?”  Nope, that’s how “DESERT PEOPLE” react to rain, lightning and thunder.  My grandson is so excited.  They just walked in and they are soaking wet and laughing like hyenas.  Best of all, it didn’t cost me a dime!  :p:DB)

2021 Genesis G90