Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I pay $689 per year - if you pay early, you save about 10%. I have a homestead exemption which lowers my assessed valuation by $25,000 - thus saving tax assessment. When you live in your house or condo, you are entitled to that exemption. If you do not live in your house or condo, you are not entitled to the exemption. abacomike - if you've paid off your condo already, you've got a pretty solid deal on your housing. Our Alamogordo home purchased in late March of 2018 was bought for $130,000. We plan on retiring here, yep. But you've got yourself a good deal, too. With only $689 in property taxes a year and the $500 a month HOA fees, you do have money around ta buy an expensive German car. Good for you, man! Congratulations! Seriously. And your condo building looks great, too. Comfortable looking living!
    Yes, the condo is free and clear - no mortgage.

2021 Genesis G90

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Yes, the condo is free and clear - no mortgage.

Coolio topped off with an Iglasius! I could almost consider a new Ford Focus RS 6-speed turbo if my circumstances were similar to yours, man. Good going!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    We are headed up to Charlevoix MI tomorrow for my niece's wedding on Saturday.
    Driving to Cleveland OH area tomorrow and the rest on Friday.
    Taking the truck since we are not sure how much people/stuff we will be picking up on the way to bring to the wedding.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited August 2018
    I'm considering buying a year of nflhdtv.net for only $29.97. Streams all the games, nfl and NCAA Div.1, etc. mlb is no doubt in there, too. I'm trying to find anything I can bad about it, so I avoid a mistake. Trouble is, they offer a 7-day Money Back Guarantee on it, no ?'s asked. How can you beat that?

I'm gonna purchase it and watch the Seahawk's 2nd nfl exhibition game this weekend. If it goes well, I've got the problem solved with not having DirecTV's Sunday Ticket (around $450 for the season). I've got a HP 22" monitor on my HP Desktop, what's the problem here?

Anyone already using NFL HDTV Game Pass? The price goes up to $49.95 in a little over 7 hours. :p

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217

We are headed up to Charlevoix MI tomorrow for my niece's wedding on Saturday.
    Driving to Cleveland OH area tomorrow and the rest on Friday.
    Taking the truck since we are not sure how much people/stuff we will be picking up on the way to bring to the wedding.

Nice. I love the Charlevoix/Petoskey area. Spent a week there this spring. Temps should be pretty good.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    @thebean,
    Saturday is supposed to be sunny and 80. Wedding is at Castle Farms.
    Did you happen to visit there?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    henryn said:

stickguy said:

Reverse engineer that, and it’s like having a nice 2/2 apartment with a ton of amenities for $600/mo. And that is hard to find.

Well, not quite... First you have to have $120k to $150k to buy the condo, THEN it is only $600 month.

If you stick $150k in a fairly decent, fairly safe mutual fund earning 4%, that amounts to another $500 a month right there.

But, I would still say $1,100 a month to live there is NOT bad. Not bad at all. I know people paying more and getting less.
    Just don't buy waterfront property.
  • thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217

@thebean,
    Saturday is supposed to be sunny and 80. Wedding is at Castle Farms.
    Did you happen to visit there?

@explorerx4, no we didn't. We stayed in Petoskey and just went down to Charlevoix a couple of times to look around. I hope you all enjoy it.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Hey, Kirstie and PF Flyer - great news! I'm in on Edmunds using my desktop. I go to one app on my desktop that always bypasses my regular browser, Chrome. It is like pre-programmed to use Microsoft Edge. After using that app about a half hour ago, the thought occurred to me "hey, man, why don't you search for Edmunds.com using Edge and then key in your u/n and p/w?" So I did, and 'Voila'!

Whoo-hoo! Y'all got a ton of Kia's, Nissan's and late model Ford Focus ST pics coming at ya soon!
    For cool starters:

2018 Kia Rio5

Is THAT why I was hearing the hallelujah chorus everywhere??? ;)
    Is THAT why I was hearing the hallelujah chorus everywhere???

You got it, PF_Flyer!

@thebean,
    We've been to Mackinaw City and Traverse City. This is kind of in the middle.
    Castle Farms looks like a very interesting place, kind of a museum that also hosts weddings.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

henryn said:

stickguy said:

Reverse engineer that, and it’s like having a nice 2/2 apartment with a ton of amenities for $600/mo. And that is hard to find.

Well, not quite... First you have to have $120k to $150k to buy the condo, THEN it is only $600 month.

If you stick $150k in a fairly decent, fairly safe mutual fund earning 4%, that amounts to another $500 a month right there.

But, I would still say $1,100 a month to live there is NOT bad. Not bad at all. I know people paying more and getting less.
    Just don't buy waterfront property.
    There are condos in our area too, Tampa, Bradenton, Riverside, Sun City Center, and you can get homes or condos for $150 to $200k. Our taxes are $2400 a year but if we were homesteaders it would be about 1/3rd less. No state taxes if you have an income in the U.S. We only have 76 units, lots of trees, windy roads, one story, 2 bdrm, 2 bthrm, vaulted ceiling, clubhouse with a pool. Condo fees are $395 a month. 1 1/2 car garage.

If you want to live near the water you will pay 2 or 3X as much, and insurance could be in the $1000s a year. We are about 20 minutes from Tampa Bay. I like that it is in a very residential area....not touristy. I think you have to be over 70 to live in Sun City Center, Walmart and drug stores have more parking spots for golf carts than cars.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited August 2018
    driver100 said:

What are the large red blossoms at the home in the distance?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
     I’ve been trying to keep up in here, enjoyed reading everything that’s been going on in here. Guys getting a new phone tonight I can get the latest latest iPhone think the 8+ something along those lines what you were than what I have. Hopefully will help with the dictation on these boards and everything else that I use the phone for. 
    Good news tbirdmarco, enjoy your new i-Phone. I hope you find the job you want, too!

I’ve been trying to keep up in here, enjoyed reading everything that’s been going on in here. Guys getting a new phone tonight I can get the latest latest iPhone think the 8+ something along those lines what you were than what I have. Hopefully will help with the dictation on these boards and everything else that I use the phone for. 
    That iPhone 8+ is very similar to my 7+ with even more memory and a faster processor.  Enjoy it, Marco - you deserve it.  I pray you get the job you want.

2021 Genesis G90

I go to one app on my desktop that always bypasses my regular browser, Chrome. It is like pre-programmed to use Microsoft Edge.

Are you saying that Google Chrome doesn't work right for Insider and the Forums, so you're using Microsoft's Edge browser and it works fine?

@driver100,
    So you are really paying $600 a month? What is that $400 HOA a month for? You have no lawn and there is no snow removal.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091

I'm considering buying a year of nflhdtv.net for only $29.97. Streams all the games, nfl and NCAA Div.1, etc. mlb is no doubt in there, too. I'm trying to find anything I can bad about it, so I avoid a mistake. Trouble is, they offer a 7-day Money Back Guarantee on it, no ?'s asked. How can you beat that?

I'm gonna purchase it and watch the Seahawk's 2nd nfl exhibition game this weekend. If it goes well, I've got the problem solved with not having DirecTV's Sunday Ticket (around $450 for the season). I've got a HP 22" monitor on my HP Desktop, what's the problem here?

Anyone already using NFL HDTV Game Pass? The price goes up to $49.95 in a little over 7 hours. :p

I never heard of anything called nflhdtv.net. That price seems too good to be true considering what NFL Game Pass costs. Add to that the other things you list that it may have and I am very suspicious. I am a longtime subscriber to MLB TV and it is $149 a year when you start at the beginning of the season.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited August 2018
    Are you saying that Google Chrome doesn't work right for Insider and the Forums, so you're using Microsoft's Edge browser and it works fine?

Exactly, but it seems it's on an individual basis. It could be that my Google Chrome browser has all kinds of cookies that need to be deleted, or there might be a security setting that's too stringent, or...something. But I checked the security settings and they're fine and normal. Could be excessive cookies hanging around on my Google Chrome when I go to Edmunds on there.

I just remembered that another regular on here switched browsers after having the same problem I was having and it worked. So I gave it a try. I'd recommend it to anyone still having trouble, if they haven't switched browsers yet, give it a try.

Agreed. That's what I had suggested when one didn't seem to work right.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    not likely the browser. probably the cookies and saved sites. That is why dumping cookies and clearing cache can solve a lot of these conflicts.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

driver100 said:

What are the large red blossoms at the home in the distance?

Good question. I have no idea, but the foliage is pretty spectacular. I like some plants that look like giant pineapples.

Each browser saves its own info on logging into the sites. So trying a fresh one sometimes shows that the site can be accessed.

A different kind of problem is I notice Chrome is picky about some sites and their certificates (whatever that is), and won't connect to them because of some discrepancy. Warns it could be a dangerous site. I just copy the URL into FireFox and log in with it. Even Chrome on my LG phone balks on some sites because there's something it doesn't like.

I'm beginning to use Microsoft's Edge more and more. It seems quicker.

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    Got new phone  posting this from the new phone 

@driver100,
    So you are really paying $600 a month? What is that $400 HOA a month for? You have no lawn and there is no snow removal.

$395 a month is for the clubhouse, roads, plants, some places have large lawns, pool, watering, gardening, exterior insurance, maintenance on exterior - painting, roof. No snow removal though.

I go to one app on my desktop that always bypasses my regular browser, Chrome. It is like pre-programmed to use Microsoft Edge.

I am on Chrome and seem to have made the cut.

Good luck with your new phone.

2021 Genesis G90

Not one typo. it's a keeper!

Marco
    It looks like the phone is doing better at doing voice to text for you.

Works good Marco. Nice and clear.

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    ab348 said:

I like Williamsburg. Was there twice for work things over the years. Much more pleasant in October than it was in June. Colonial Williamsburg is a throwback in more ways than one. Very old-school Southern vibe in the place I stayed the last time I was there, Williamsburg Lodge.

It's beautiful in the fall here as well as Christmas. I have probably been here a dozen times in my lifetime on family vacations so I'm familiar with the area and enjoy it. There's enough to do to satisfy anyone.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    @thebean, We've been to Mackinaw City and Traverse City. This is kind of in the middle. Castle Farms looks like a very interesting place, kind of a museum that also hosts weddings.
    I love going to Mackinac island, not many places your luggage is delivered by horse drawn carriage.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358
    edited August 2018
    pensfan83 said:

We're in Williamsburg, VA until Friday for vacation, having arrived Sunday afternoon. It's quite relaxing so far even though I have spent a bit of time working while everyone else sleeps in.

Since between beach gear, suitcases, and bikes we weren't jamming that into the TLX or Altima, we borrowed my father's F-150 since there is plenty of room in the bed for luggage and a receiver for a back rack. We averaged around 22-23 MPG on the way down. For as much as I dislike his truck in city driving I really like it for highway driving.

My dad had an architect design our house to resemble the Wythe House; all of the interior walls and trim are authentic Williamsburg colors and many of the locks and hinges are reproductions of Colonial hardware. We've visited several times and always enjoy it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    I’m a big fan of Colonial Williamsburg. My sister and I both worked there in high school and college. The Wythe house is one of my favorites! I’ve always been on the lookout for a modern plan in that style. 
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    We went to Colonial Williamsburg for vacation in 2015. Lots of fun!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    The last time I was there was for a conference in 2013 and one night they took all of us (a coupe of hundred folks) into the village by carriages for a dinner in the Colonial style. All candlelight, in various rooms within the vintage buildings both upstairs and down. It was fabulous, helped by a large supply of mint juleps.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:
    The last time I was there was for a conference in 2013 and one night they took all of us (a coupe of hundred folks) into the village by carriages for a dinner in the Colonial style. All candlelight, in various rooms within the vintage buildings both upstairs and down. It was fabulous, helped by a large supply of mint juleps.
    Wouldn't mind juleps be a bit out of place in Colonial Williamsburg?

• pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,555
    I don't know about mint juleps but we did breakfast this morning at the Chickahominy House and it was fantastic. Three different kinds of meats plus biscuits, grits, biscuits!
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
    edited August 2018
    That black Chrysler 300 that flipped over on its side after hitting the palm tree yesterday was an accident waiting to happen, according to what one of my neighbors told me this morning.

He works for the city - water and sewer dept. - and spoke with someone who saw the preliminary report yesterday afternoon.  The driver was texting and was late for work as an assisted living aide.  I was lucky she made that turn in front of me instead of veering into my lane and hitting me.  Her car jumped the curb and hit the palm tree at an estimated speed of 30 mph.  There were no skid marks anywhere near the accident - no attempt was made to brake prior to the collision.

Now if her car had been equipped with an accident avoidance system like the new cars on the road, the collision could have been avoided.

I think they may have to replace that Royal palm tree because of the significant damage done to its lower trunk.  Palm trees have very shallow root systems and damage like that could kill the tree.  The tree has to be about 25 years old - very large trunk and quite tall.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike said:0
    That black Chrysler 300 that flipped over on its side after hitting the palm tree yesterday was an accident waiting to happen, according to what one of my neighbors told me this morning.

He works for the city - water and sewer dept. - and spoke with someone who saw the preliminary report yesterday afternoon.  The driver was texting and was late for work as an assisted living aide.  I was lucky she made that turn in front of me instead of veering into my lane and hitting me.  Her car jumped the curb and hit the palm tree at an estimated speed of 30 mph.  There were no skid marks anywhere near the accident - no attempt was made to brake prior to the collision.

Now if her car had been equipped with an accident avoidance system like the new cars on the road, the collision could have been avoided.

I think they may have to replace that Royal palm tree because of the significant damage done to its lower trunk.  Palm trees have very shallow root systems and damage like that could kill the tree.  The tree has to be about 25 years old - very large trunk and quite tall.
    Lack of skid marks does not mean no braking was done it just means the brakes didn't lock up. People stop cars all the time and don't leave skid marks. 

Anyone already using NFL HDTV Game Pass? The price goes up to $49.95 in a little over 7 hours.

ab348 and anyone else who might be curious - I went in and tried to sign up for this knowing it sounds too good ta be true - turns out they have you give yourself a u/n and p/w because it's a program that streams NFL and NCAA college football games on the net for you. A couple things I've learned about it: 1) The streams come to you once the game is over and they cut out all of the commercials. They have "contracts" with over 600 TV channels supposedly. I'm still interested at this point - I could actually dig watching my Seahawk games this way. I would just have ta be careful that I don't accidentally catch the final score before I watch the stream - that wouldn't kill the buzz completely but it would knock it down a big notch.

2) It wouldn't take my credit card information. I wrote a message to their management and they said nothing about that, just that they'd take payment by PayPal, too. I've used PayPal before and found it to be useful and it worked well. There's been no suspicious activity on our credit card since I tried using it on their website and it didn't work. So that's good.

So, punt the whole idea away...or try signing up with PayPal. It is cheap, and, it would be an acceptable way to watch my favorite NFL team play their games. And our new running back, Rashaad Penny, broke a finger already and is out for 4-5 games. :'(

Positive news? I'm on Edmunds on my desktop! WHOO-HOOOO!!!!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited August 2018
    abacomike said:

Accident avoidance features might not have helped. These gadgets are great but they don't know how to make the BEST decision in any particular scenario--they just choose one for you.

Snake is right about skid marks. Nowadays the accident reconstruction folks have a harder time, because of a lack of skidmarks with ABS systems.

It takes a lot of talent, though, to flip a Chrysler 300.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    abacomike said:

abacomike said:

abacomike said:

My XF has one rattle, in the sunroof area. It goes away when I close the shade.
    Mike, your complex reminds me of Boca Teeca.

Thanks for the compliment.  Most of the 2 bedroom 2 bath w/laundry closet for washer and dryer combo go for $120,000 - $150,000, which is quite reasonable.  All buildings are preformed concrete walls, ceilings and floors.  Electric cooking, no gas. 

It it is a gated community with live security.  My building is a duplicate of the building shown in the photos in the background.  It was built in 1991 when my folks bought it.  Our Village has it’s own Olympic pool and propane grills for cookouts.  I am 300 feet from the theater, Card rooms, main offices and 2 more pools.

And what city are you in or near if you don't mind me asking.

I am 2-1/2 miles south of Boca Raton; 2 miles west of Pompano Beach; 12 miles north of Ft. Lauderdale.  The city I live in is called Coconut Creek.

Sounds good, your condo seems to be somewhat what the wife is looking for. I'll let her know about it.

I live across from Broward College - north campus and two blocks west of the Florida Turnpike exit/entrance at Coconut Creek Parkway.  Very convenient to the airport (FLL) and the interstates.

Flying into FLL for a business trip to Miami in a few weeks. It’s been awhile since I was in that area. Always liked it!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    qbrozen said:
    :D
    Have fun.

Does sound like fun.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Are you a vehicle owner who's either used GM-Amazon's in-car package delivery service or GM's Marketplace app? If so, a reporter from the Wall Street Journal would like to chat with you. If you're interested, please reach out to PR@Edmunds.com by tomorrow, August 16 at 12 p.m. Pacific. Thank you!
    I just chose some of these facts to reprint. Life in the USA about 100 years ago:
    *The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.*
    *Fuel for cars was sold in drug stores only.*
    *Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.*
    *Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.*
    *There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.*
    *The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.* I KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULDN'T BE HAPPY
    *The average US wage in 1910 was 22 cents per hour.*
    *The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.*
    *A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year,*
    *A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 peryear.*
    *More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME.*
    *Ninety percent of all Doctors** had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!* *Instead, they
    attended so-called medical schools,*
    *Many of which were condemned in the press AND the government assubstandard.'*
    *Sugar cost four cents a pound.*
    *Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.*
    *Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.*
    *The five leading causes of death were:* *1. Pneumonia and influenza* *2, Tuberculosis* *3. Diarrhea* *4. Heart disease* *5. Stroke*
    *The population of Las Vegas Nevada was only 30!*
    *Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented yet*
    *Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write and only 6 percent of all
    Americans had graduated from high school.
    *There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. !*