Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Wear and Tear negotiation when retruning and leasing from same manufacturer.

javi_10javi_10 Member Posts: 7
edited October 2018 in Volvo
Hi there.

I have a 2016 Volvo XC90 that is coming due on lease in February 2019. Unfortunately my wife thinks its like driving a bumper car and it has a number of bumps, scratches and scuffs. I did not purchase W&T insurance. The residual value is at or higher than market based on vehicle condition so will likely turn it back in and lease a new car.

I like the car and plan on likely getting another XC90. Do I have any leverage with the dealer/lease company in waiving the W&T repairs costs if I am getting another vehicle from the same brand? I have access to a corporate member preferential price: does that change anything?

I can always get the car fixed at an indy shop but I am wondering if perhaps that would be an unnecessary step if the dealer/lease co is incentivized to get me on a new lease.

Any thoughts or experience on W&T while renewing a new lease with Volvo would be appreciated!

Thanks
J
(married to a bumper car driver!)

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,316
    @javi_10

Most leasing banks now use an independent inspector for lease returns, taking all of the negotiation out of it. In my experience, this is a positive development. Most of my inspectors have been lenient with small items. Make sure you schedule your pre-turn-in inspection a few weeks before lease end, so you have options, once you know the actual damage.

Dealers don't have much leeway on end-of-lease charges, any more.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator