Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Gas issues

Redhaynes48Redhaynes48 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2018 in Kia
I recently bought the Kia Optima and it sucks gas. I have taken it to the dealership and they do not find anything wrong. I am supposed to get great gas mileage but it is not happening on this car. I am supposed to have a 18.5 gas tank on there but can not get but 14 gallons if I am on empty with the light on. The dealership at CARTOWN KIA said that I have to break it in at 10,000 miles before I get any good gas mileage from it. Please help
Kelly Haynes

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266

I recently bought the Kia Optima and it sucks gas. I have taken it to the dealership and they do not find anything wrong. I am supposed to get great gas mileage but it is not happening on this car. I am supposed to have a 18.5 gas tank on there but can not get but 14 gallons if I am on empty with the light on. The dealership at CARTOWN KIA said that I have to break it in at 10,000 miles before I get any good gas mileage from it. Please help
    Kelly Haynes

What MPG are you calculating?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If you are relying on the dashboard computer's range estimate or "average fuel mileage" calculations, this are not always accurate. On many cars there is a 5% error (optimistic); on a few cars tested it was as high as 15%.

The most accurate method is the old-fashioned way, by filling up your tank, at least 3-4 times, and writing down how many gallons you pumped in, and divide that into how many miles traveled on the last tank of gas.

Always try to use the same pump at the same station and just let the gas feed click off--don't try to stuff any more gas in there.