Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Whats the best used sports car under 10-15k?

chrisl04chrisl04 Member Posts: 11
edited December 2018 in General
Hey guys, so I'm looking to get myself a nice sporty car to daily drive for a few years, I need it to be very reliable, good looking, fast enough, and it needs to be able to handle winter considering the fact that i live in Canada. I've been doing a lot of research and im looking for anything great and reliable under 10k or maybe even under 15k. I put around 10000 km a year. I just can't seem to find one specific car that interests me, what are your ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well let's set some criteria first.

Does it have to be a convertible?

Two seater only, or 4 seater?

Is a "hot hatchback" part of your idea of a sports car? What about a 2D coupe?

Manual transmission or automatic or either?

Small, medium or large?
  • Options
    Sure, the seats dont matter, a coupe is nice, a hot hatchback i like too! any size car as long as its not a large sedan, for a sedan it would depend on if its a medium or small sedan, i dont like larger sedans. either transmission is fine! convertible is a big no for me haha. Thanks!
  • Options
    OK, so we are down to coupes or hatchbacks, manual or automatic, "fun", "sporty", small or smallish, under $15K. Have we got that about right?
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    assuming snow is not of the requires a jeep category, I would say a GTI with snow tires would do the job just fine.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Good suggestion!

Other hot hatches might include...what?

Mini Cooper S

Volvo C30 T5

What year Mustangs could he buy for that which wouldn't be too old or miled up?
  • Options
    Yeah that's right mr_shiftright! And is a gti even reliable I haven't heard good things about the entronics in Volkswagens and the nice ones imo 2010+ all have really high mileage at this price I find, is it that worth it, if I find a lower mileage one? It should be reliable?

• Options
    Although I do like sedans like the ralliarts or wrx's

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,556
    Mazda3 hatch is worth a look. Have any of the Focus or Fiesta "hot hatches" depreciated to that level yet?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    Yeah, a high mileage GTI could be edgy. It really depends on how well it was cared for by the previous owner or owners. But they are fun to drive.
  • Options
    I've heard bad reliability reviews of the ms3 as well as Mazda rust :/ and the fiesta I don't like imo and the focus st is a bit pricey :/ 
  • Options
    Is a gti reliable? Or am I always gonna have to deal with electronic issues? How about a Civic si? Is a Genesis coupe repliable enough to daily drive with little hassle?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Wait. is this C$15K ?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I would presume so---which means about $11K USD. Let's ask him.....
  • Options
    Yeah I'm talking Canadian so yeah around 11k had and under :) sorry 
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    I'd go with an FR-S or Miata- just buy a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels; you'll be fine.
    FWD is fine for a hot hatch, but in my opinion a sports car has to be RWD...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Son has a 3 year old GTI. Been rock solid reliability wise. As it ages more? Not sure. He takes good care of his, though.

US$11K? I like the Mazda Miata or Mazda 3. Most WRXs that have some age on them seem to be wrung out by pseudo racers. So, probably steer clear of those.

GTI or Mazda(s) get my vote.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    What do you all think about a Genesis coupe? Because the frs is too expensive and gti has too many electronic issues imo. Is the Genesis coupe reliable? Is it a good car for me to daily drive?