2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    IIRC he rode that missile down :p
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 244,045
    venture said:

Michaell said:

Has anyone else gotten a survey from Nielson about the topic of my XM listening habits?

Why would I get a survey asking about your listening habits?

I don't know what they are. :wink:

But, since I'm not a current subscriber, I doubt I would get a survey, at all.
    Did you try that Subaru map update link? I'm curious if it will work with pre-2018's.
    The link you sent wouldn't work for my 2015, but I did find a different link that allows me to update the SD card for $59....

Haven't pulled the trigger on that, yet, as we don't use the NAV all that much.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,485
    @berri,
    You have the right movie. Fail Safe. I failed. :(
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,202
    edited January 2019
    With companies reducing the number of car models to sell, they telling us that we should expand our concept of a car.
    I saw a car ad from Ford telling me that an SUV is a car and a car is an SUV. So if I want a car, I can buy their Escape. The ad showed a driver backing into a parking space with trash cans at the back and the driver just uses the car SUV bumper to push them out of the way.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,863

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited January 2019
    @imidazol97,
    Maybe if they added some 'Real People', you would liked it better? HAHA :)
    Isn't Chevy's best selling car the Cruze? That's getting discontinued.
    I'll feel bad about driving by the Lordstown plant, like I do several times a year, and not seeing any cars in the lots.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,890
    ouch. Well, it is pretty quick. And a good size. And really sharp looking. Sounds like it would be nice though if Ford a rework of the suspension. That should have been the easiest area to improve.

I wonder if the aftermarket will come out with a package for it right away?

Does sound like the Ridgeline is a better option if you really want a nice car with an occasional use bed area that does not have to be huge, and you aren't planning to ever tow much.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 244,045
    I read somewhere today that Ford is thinking of another pickup, even smaller than the Ranger. 

Potentially named Courier. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,513
    edited January 2019
    The upshot is that vehicles actually driven by an occupant are on their way out, never mind manual transmissions, or working on your own car. It'll be interesting to watch, much like a train wreck. I'm happy that I lived and drove and maintained my cars when I did/do (I'm still driving a car with a 6-speed manual transmission).

My favorite place to be these days is in a cabin in an area of Arizona that most can't even find. I drive the 110 miles regularly and know just when I need to shift down. Go figure
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    Has anyone else gotten a survey from Nielson about the topic of your XM listening habits?
    Interestingly enough, I just completed 2-years as a Nielsen “family” last month.  I was not permitted to divulge this fact to anyone in order to ensure anonymity so long as I possessed a Nielsen meter.  If a broadcaster or advertiser or radio/TV station knew I was a panelist, they could have taken advantage of that fact.  There are just over 70,000 individuals who are panelists or “family” members.

2-years ago, I consented to become a Nielsen “family”.  They sent me a meter (most people who saw me wearing it every day thought it was a pager) which I wore 12-16 hours a day.  Just before going to sleep every night, I had to place the meter in a charging cradle.  Between 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM every morning, it would automatically send data informing Nielsen which TV programs I watched (streamed, cable or satellite) and which radio stations I listened to (satellite and broadcast as well as internet like XM or Apple) through a mobile phone tower.  I verified the sent data every day by looking up my account ID online.  The meter would pick up audio data from the sound the meter picked up which is not audible to the human ear.  Each broadcaster has its own audio coding.

I will admit that toward the end of my 2-year stint that it started becoming bothersome and somewhat constraining.  But I am now able to discuss this with others since I sent all the components back to Nielsen earlier this month.

So they knew exactly what I watched and what I listened to in my daily life.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
  • Options
    how much did they pay you to do that? I can't believe anyone would do it for free!

• Options
    Michaell said:

I read somewhere today that Ford is thinking of another pickup, even smaller than the Ranger. 

I loved the Courier back in the 70's! If they do that one right, could really hit my buttons. Even this Ranger is 210" long, so far from compact (only compared to an F150 I guess).

• Options
    stickguy said:
    how much did they pay you to do that? I can't believe anyone would do it for free!
    I got about $200 a year as a stipend which basically reimbursed me for the electricity I used for charging the meter every night.  I also had to plug in 2 sensors at each end of my condo to indicate to Nielsen when I was home and when I was out of the apartment.  Those remained plugged in 24 hours a day, every day.

So I basically did that for nothing.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,016
    Michaell said:

True.

Ford will build a mini pickup truck slotting below the Ranger

Ford recently downsized its pickup truck lineup with the Ranger, its first midsize truck since 2011. But now it seems that the Blue Oval will launch a truck smaller than the Ranger. However, it’s unclear if the new truck will be sold in the United States.

Rumors of a compact Ford pickup truck have circulated for several months. In July 2018, Automobile Magazine reported that Ford was planning a pickup truck based on the Focus, and that said truck could go on sale in the U.S. by 2022.

Unlikely to be sold in the U.S. Some countries prefer smaller trucks. Courier name was used in the 70s and early 80s, have to look at legality of the name these days.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    well, sounds like what I would want. And I will need a a car by 2022!

• Options
    edited January 2019
    abacomike said:

stickguy said:

I got about $200 a year as a stipend which basically reimbursed me for the electricity I used for charging the meter every night.  I also had to plug in 2 sensors at each end of my condo to indicate to Nielsen when I was home and when I was out of the apartment.  Those remained plugged in 24 hours a day, every day.

So I basically did that for nothing

Mike, on top of all the other stuff going on in your life you actually had to look after this Nielsen stuff. I wouldn't have done that for less than $2000 a year....besides, then they would find out I am listening to music on my illegal USB stick.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,710
    They’d find out I watch maybe 2 shows a year that aren’t on cable.
    '24 Kia Sportage PHEV
    '24 Chevy Blazer EV 2LT
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    @driver100,
    Everyone already knows about your illegal USB stick because you blabbed about it on the internet. :D
  • Options
    suydam said:
    They’d find out I watch maybe 2 shows a year that aren’t on cable.
    The meter picks up cable TV also as well as streamed stuff.  It also picked up satellite and WiFi stuff as well.  I even had an adapter for my iPhone that I plugged in when I listened to music through my earphones.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,863
    edited January 2019
    abacomike said:

Has anyone else gotten a survey from Nielson about the topic of your XM listening habits?

Interestingly enough, I just completed 2-years as a Nielsen “family” last month.  I was not permitted to divulge this fact to anyone in order to ensure anonymity so long as I possessed a Nielsen meter.  If a broadcaster or advertiser or radio/TV station knew I was a panelist, they could have taken advantage of that fact.  There are just over 70,000 individuals who are panelists or “family” members.

2-years ago, I consented to become a Nielsen “family”.  They sent me a meter (most people who saw me wearing it every day thought it was a pager) which I wore 12-16 hours a day.  Just before going to sleep every night, I had to place the meter in a charging cradle.  Between 2:00 AM and 4:00 AM every morning, it would automatically send data informing Nielsen which TV programs I watched (streamed, cable or satellite) and which radio stations I listened to (satellite and broadcast as well as internet like XM or Apple) through a mobile phone tower.  I verified the sent data every day by looking up my account ID online.  The meter would pick up audio data from the sound the meter picked up which is not audible to the human ear.  Each broadcaster has its own audio coding.

I will admit that toward the end of my 2-year stint that it started becoming bothersome and somewhat constraining.  But I am now able to discuss this with others since I sent all the components back to Nielsen earlier this month.

How Orwellian. I hope they paid you big bucks for such intrusive monitoring.

Oh I see you answered that already. Wow, I wouldn’t have done that for any amount. In fact I would have found some way of messing up their info gathering, like putting the monitors on the fender of my car or on a stray cat.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    @driver100, Everyone already knows about your illegal USB stick because you blabbed about it on the internet. :D
    That’s how they catch hundreds of people doing illegal things because they blab about it online.  Driver, prepare yourself!  :DB)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

How Orwellian. I hope they paid you big bucks for such intrusive monitoring.
    Nope - about $15 a week plus a few $60+ bonuses.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Is this SiriusXM wanting to know more about me and my listening or are they wanting to improve their services. If it's improving services, they should start with the financial, payment, and renewal processes.

OUR SURVEY IS READY FOR YOU!

Dear Respondent,

SiriusXM is conducting a survey about your listening habits. The survey will only take 10 minutes to complete.

The survey is being hosted by Nielsen* (www.nielsen.com), an independent national marketing research firm. Your survey responses will be kept strictly confidential. The findings will be reported in aggregate only. Your email address or survey information will not be used for future marketing efforts.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,364

dino001 said:

1. I Don't like the spot of the cup holder - quality problem by JD Power
    2. My mother can't figure out the entertainment system - quality problem by JD Power
    3. My late didn't know how to use navigation system - quality problem by JD Power
    4. My wife doesn't like hard suspension on my sports car - quality problem by JD Power
    5. I don't like my wife's soft suspension in her luxury car - quality problem by JD Power
    6. My sister thinks the seats are uncomfortable - quality problem by JD Power
    7. My aunt thinks the red color doesn't match her shoes well - quality problem by JD Power
    8. My new huge SUV can't turn on the same streets I could with my previous Civic - quality problem by JD Power.

My car had 8 quality problems by JD Power

1. My neighbor's engine exploded on his driveway.
    2. Otherwise, he said the car was great until then.

My neighbor's car had 1 problem by JD Power survey.

My coworker bought a brand new 2.0 Turbo top-of-the-line Accord. His brother bought a stripper 1.5. According to JD Power, both cars have exactly the same rating on performance, power and feature content.

Is there any survey that does what you would like to see? On a sample size that's adequate?
    I would like to see something that quantifies number of times the average vehicle goes in the shop and total down time for the average vehicle. This could give a better idea of reliability.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh, I guess we ought to tell you all about the chips we're planning to implant in your heads. More later. B)
  • Options
    berri said:

Private K-12 schools should generally score above public school because they can choose their students accepted. Of course you pay for that through their tuition and fees.

Private schools have to score above public schools or there is no incentive to send your kids there over the public schools. Public schools don't really need to because they have a captive clientele and guaranteed funding.

• Options
    houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

Here's the initial quality study for 2017. Buick stayed the same. Chevrolet improved! from 85 to 82.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2018-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

I am surprised almost every one of the cars in the survey had at least one problem in the first 90 days. I have owned about 25 new cars....I don't remember any of them having a problem in the first 90 days.

Another thing is, take out the top 4 or 5 cars, and the bottom 8 or 10, and the rest are pretty close.
    Surprised Suburu and Mazda are at the bottom of the list.

I personally like what Kia has done over the last few years and I see they are at the top. However, they have had 276 cars burn up over the last few years. Big recall and investigation underway. Makes me wonder if car burning up counts the same as inconvenient door handle.
    276 cars burning up out of how many sold? Also what caused the cars to catch on fire?

• Options

@driver100,
    Everyone already knows about your illegal USB stick because you blabbed about it on the internet. :D

I was only joking about having an illegal USB stick.......honest!

• Options
    abacomike said:

@driver100,

That’s how they catch hundreds of people doing illegal things because they blab about it online.  Driver, prepare yourself!  :DB)

You mean they might come and confiscate my USB Stick?

• Options
    edited January 2019

houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

Here's the initial quality study for 2017. Buick stayed the same. Chevrolet improved! from 85 to 82.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2018-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

I am surprised almost every one of the cars in the survey had at least one problem in the first 90 days. I have owned about 25 new cars....I don't remember any of them having a problem in the first 90 days.

Another thing is, take out the top 4 or 5 cars, and the bottom 8 or 10, and the rest are pretty close.

I personally like what Kia has done over the last few years and I see they are at the top. However, they have had 276 cars burn up over the last few years. Big recall and investigation underway. Makes me wonder if car burning up counts the same as inconvenient door handle.
    276 cars burning up out of how many sold? Also what caused the cars to catch on fire?
    A consumer watchdog group is pressing the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to investigate complaints of spontaneous fires, unrelated to crashes, in certain Kia and Hyundai vehicles.

The Center for Auto Safety (CAS) filed a formal petition with NHTSA on Tuesday. In it, the center pointed to an unusual number of consumer complaints about four models, all from model years 2011 to 2014: the Kia Optima sedan and Sorento SUV, and the Hyundai Sonata sedan and Santa Fe SUV. At least six people have been injured in the incidents, the center said.

The center found 120 complaints in the NHTSA database where consumers reported fires without a preceding collision. There were also 229 separate complaints of melted wires in the engine bays, smoke, or burning odors indicating potential fires, the center said. NHTSA should focus on instances where wiring harnesses interact with fender edges, it said.

In one of the complaints to NHTSA, a 2012 Hyundai Sonata owner in Matthews, N.C., reported walking back to his car in November 2013 after shopping, and finding the car engulfed in flames. The engine wiring harness, front bumper, intake manifold, and all the plastic fluid containers were destroyed. A fire investigator said an electrical short in the wiring harness traveled throughout the engine compartment and ignited a pile of leaves under the car.

• Options
    I did not realize the GraphicGuy owned that many Hyunkias.

• Options
    berri said:

Private or religious school is sometimes hard on the student during breaks because they don't know the other kids around the neighborhood all that well. So I think as a parent you have to try and foster some neighborhood stuff to help them be part of that student community where they reside.

I don't know about that, growing up me and my siblings had plenty of friends who went to catholic school even though we went to public school. Of course this was in the days where kids were allowed outside unsupervised and were expected to be outside. We were friends more because we lived near each other than the schools we went to.

• Options

berri said:

Private K-12 schools should generally score above public school because they can choose their students accepted. Of course you pay for that through their tuition and fees.

Privatization of all societal functions can be good, but also can be dangerous. It depends on the consequences of doing it.
    It would be impractical if not impossible to privatize all societal functions. How do you privatize public works? How. does the company providing it make money? Or police services? Any public and many merit goods need to be provided by the state to be practical.

• Options
    houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

dino001 said:

driver100 said:

Hey, driver it's SubAru, not Suburu. You consistently write that, even having the name in front of you. Just saying... :wink:
    Since it is a Japanese word I am spelling it phonetically which is my right since it isn't English anyway. I spell it the way it should be spelled.

The name Subaru is Japanese, meaning 'unite'. It's also a term for a cluster of six stars in the Taurus constellation, named 'Pleiades' by the ancient Greeks. According to Greek mythology, these stars were once Atlas' daughters. ... Subaru was the first automobile brand to use a Japanese word as its name.
    My question is, why isn't phonics spelled fonics, given it's definition.
    Because English is that language the lures other languages into a dark alley, knocks them over their head and rummages through their pockets. That's why we have words that sound the same but are spelled different and words that sound different but are spelled the same and (my favorite) contronyms (words that are their own antonym).

And shouldn't it be foniks?

• Options

Interestingly enough, I just completed 2-years as a Nielsen “family” last month.  I was not permitted to divulge this fact to anyone in order to ensure anonymity so long as I possessed a Nielsen meter.  If a broadcaster or advertiser or radio/TV station knew I was a panelist, they could have taken advantage of that fact.

That reminds of the Family Guy episode where they became a Nielsen family. Peter managed to steal all the monitoring equipment out of their truck and hooked them all up to his TV. He then started to call up TV stations, explained the situation and started to make demands on what they would broadcast.

• Options

Oh, I guess we ought to tell you all about the chips we're planning to implant in your heads. More later. B)

Would those be potatoe, nacho, chocolate, paint or poker?

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,734
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

stickguy said:

So I basically did that for nothing
    Mike, on top of all the other stuff going on in your life you actually had to look after this Nielsen stuff. I wouldn't have done that for less than $2000 a year....besides, then they would find out I am listening to music on my illegal USB stick.

An illegal USB stick ain't nothin.

You can bet your you know what that I wouldn't wear that thingy especially at this time of the year when I'm about to cheat on my income taxes again. Why should 2018 be any different than any other year?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    Filled up both cars today, it was 15 degrees and windy. I did it because I didn't want to get stuck having to fill up over the next week as all it's going to do is get colder. According to the long range forecast over the next 10 days 7 will have overnight lows below 0 with 3 days having double digit numbers below zero. Wednesday they are forecasting a high of 16 below. :'(

Anyone else having the big chill heading their way?

• Options

It would be impractical if not impossible to privatize all societal functions. How do you privatize public works? How. does the company providing it make money? Or police services? Any public and many merit goods need to be provided by the state to be practical.

I agree it can be a sticky situation. Regarding public works, there are some examples of privatization, like American Waterworks, so it's not totally unheard of, but also not super common. I'm more involved in the technical side of water and not the contract side, so I can't attest to how the private systems are managed from a public perspective. They all have to meet EPA regulations and I could bore you to sleep with details about that aspect :-)
  • Options

houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

Nielsen monitors. :o

jmonroe
  • Options
    driver100 said:

@driver100,

I was only joking about having an illegal USB stick.......honest!
    Come to think of it, I never cheat on my taxes.

jmonroe
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,325
    edited January 2019
    Lovely dry mild weekend ahead here, then a few nice days next week, maybe rain later in the week. No cold. Snow and cold can be fun now and then (I was a kideast of the mountains back in the cold 80s when we had snow what seemed like constantly), but this is probably better, for driving and outdoor exercise anyway.

I was in Chicago in November, when it snowed just a little - even then, the wind was really something.

Filled up both cars today, it was 15 degrees and windy. I did it because I didn't want to get stuck having to fill up over the next week as all it's going to do is get colder. According to the long range forecast over the next 10 days 7 will have overnight lows below 0 with 3 days having double digit numbers below zero. Wednesday they are forecasting a high of 16 below. :'(

• Options
    tyguy said:

I agree it can be a sticky situation. Regarding public works, there are some examples of privatization, like American Waterworks, so it's not totally unheard of, but also not super common. I'm more involved in the technical side of water and not the contract side, so I can't attest to how the private systems are managed from a public perspective. They all have to meet EPA regulations and I could bore you to sleep with details about that aspect :-)
    But for public works, who is going to build the roads and bridges, dykes and the like?

• Options

Yes, it got to 70F yesterday.....and now a cold Arctic blast of air is coming down from the North (probably from your way) and temperatures will be in the low 60s for a few days....brrrrrrrrrrr! :'(

• Options

We're getting some leftovers from those of you farther north through the next many days.

I did appreciate the warm Florida air @abacomike and @driver100 sent up to us after a couple of really cold days. We were into the low 40s for daytime temps. That' the weather that had @abacomike turning on his seat heaters.

Usually these cold intrustions from the Artic last a week or more. But so far we've had short periods of normal cold winter weather. Knock on wood. This is weather, though, that makes me think of buying a spare home in Florida. There have to be vacant homes for sale where @abacomike and @driver100 live.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,228

<
    But for public works, who is going to build the roads and bridges, dykes and the like?

Almost all of those are already *built* by private contractors. The question you are probably asking is who will pay for them. That is an appropriate role for govt although here we have an example of a toll road that was badly needed at the time which govt said they could not afford. So they contracted with a road construction company to build it and entered in a long-term construction/maintenance agreement to split the toll revenue to pay back the contractor. The road reverts to govt at some point. It has been a huge success.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    ab348 said:
    < But for public works, who is going to build the roads and bridges, dykes and the like?
    Almost all of those are already *built* by private contractors. The question you are probably asking is who will pay for them. That is an appropriate role for govt although here we have an example of a toll road that was badly needed at the time which govt said they could not afford. So they contracted with a road construction company to build it and entered in a long-term construction/maintenance agreement to split the toll revenue to pay back the contractor. The road reverts to govt at some point. It has been a huge success.
    built by private contractors but commissioned and paid for by governments. Right of ways are created by governments through eminent domain. Private companies alone would find it very difficult to do.

Tollways are funded by issuing bonds that will be paid off from toll receipts. The contractors building the road get paid from funds raised by selling the bonds and do not share the toll revenue.

Plus it would be unrealistic to turn every road into a toll road.

• Options
    driver100 said:
    Filled up both cars today, it was 15 degrees and windy. I did it because I didn't want to get stuck having to fill up over the next week as all it's going to do is get colder. According to the long range forecast over the next 10 days 7 will have overnight lows below 0 with 3 days having double digit numbers below zero. Wednesday they are forecasting a high of 16 below. :'( Anyone else having the big chill heading their way?
    Yes, it got to 70F yesterday.....and now a cold Arctic blast of air is coming down from the North (probably from your way) and temperatures will be in the low 60s for a few days....brrrrrrrrrrr! :'(
    on the trip into work today it was 5 below.