Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    abacomike said:

I had to go over to my doctor's office this morning to have the wound I received last week from that food basket collision redressed and looked at by the nurse. My doctor decided he wanted to look at it as well - so when I finished at the doctor's office, I decided to go over to the Genesis Dealership a couple of miles away to look at the new G70. The salesman who greeted me convinced me to take one for a test drive - which I did.

He pulled up a white "3.3T Advanced" G70 model which MSRP'd for almost $47,000. I found the G70 sedan somewhat "lack-luster". For that kind of money, there are many other vehicles on the market that far surpass this car in styling, quality interior materials and workmanship. The Acura, Avalon, ES350, C300, Q50, to name a few, are far more interesting in terms of available options, materials and style/design of the interior. I did find the 3.3 Twin Turbo more than adequate for power and performance and the exterior styling was attractive - at least to me. The rear seat room was almost non-existent and the front seating was a bit crampted for a person of my size and height. I did not like the infomation display - looked cheap and bare-bones.

When we got back to the showroom, I sat in a G80 and found it much more appealing in almost every aspect. Seating was more comfortable and the quality-look of the interior (materials and design) was excellent. I don't remember why I did not reconsider the G80 as a possible replacement for my S450 when the lease is up next year, but I definitely would consider one if the pricing and auto loan availability at a reasonable interest. Definitely something to think about.

I read here on this forum that several of our members found the G70 intriguing and tempting. I would like to know how you would rate the G70 compared to some of the models I listed above as being more preferrable. I noticed that the dealership's name was changed from Hyundai to Genesis on one side of the building. That would mean that the service department services both the Genesis and Hyundai vehicles. I thought they were supposed to be stand-alone dealerships.

Mike...I’ve yet to see a G70 in the flesh in or around Cincinnati. For whatever reason, there are no “stand alone” Genesis franchises around here. There are Hyundai dealerships that are trying to double as Genesis stores. But, even those don’t seem to have any G70s in stock.

But, given I’ve driven the G70’s kissing cousin, the Kia Stinger, I can say it is one of the most enticing entries in the 4 door sports car field that I’ve ever driven. That includes the 3 Series, the C Class, the Infiniti Q50 and my beloved Acura TLX.

Not sure what, if any, discounts the G70s are getting. But, I mentioned I could have purchased a Kia Stinger GT2 (all loaded up) with an MSRP of ~$52K for ~$38K. A part of me still wished I would have pulled the trigger. But, from what I’ve read, those early Stingers had some teething pains.

If they got those sorted, and if I’m disappointed in the new TLX that’s widely anticipated next year, I’ll look long and hard at the Kia Stinger, again.

BTW...the Stinger has a longer wheelbase than the G70, and that means more interior room. So, perhaps with a bit more room, you may have belt better about it. That said, from the pics I’ve seen, the Stinger has a more sporty appearance, in and out, than the G70, too.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited April 2019

ruking1 said:ok

ruking1 said:

The valet/g wagon post is a great reminder why I go out of my way & will continue to refuse valet services.🏎 My bet would be on the g wagon being “cowboyed”.

Me and the misses went out to eat last Saturday night and the valet refused to give us service. 

Must be some prejudice against motorcycles.
    It may be it’s as easy as they probably didn’t know how to drive/maneuver it.

It's a joke you're supposed to laugh. 

I did! I was going to say it was racist, misandry, misogyny ! It also was handicap discrimination against 2 wheel vehicles 😇 But everybody seems to be all PC for the last few pages of posts. 😉 Somehow I think there is a fast wheelchair joke here somewhere, but I digress.😉
  • Options
    edited April 2019

abacomike said:

I had to go over to my doctor's office this morning to have the wound I received last week from that food basket collision redressed and looked at by the nurse. My doctor decided he wanted to look at it as well - so when I finished at the doctor's office, I decided to go over to the Genesis Dealership a couple of miles away to look at the new G70. The salesman who greeted me convinced me to take one for a test drive - which I did.

He pulled up a white "3.3T Advanced" G70 model which MSRP'd for almost $47,000. I found the G70 sedan somewhat "lack-luster". For that kind of money, there are many other vehicles on the market that far surpass this car in styling, quality interior materials and workmanship. The Acura, Avalon, ES350, C300, Q50, to name a few, are far more interesting in terms of available options, materials and style/design of the interior. I did find the 3.3 Twin Turbo more than adequate for power and performance and the exterior styling was attractive - at least to me. The rear seat room was almost non-existent and the front seating was a bit crampted for a person of my size and height. I did not like the infomation display - looked cheap and bare-bones.

When we got back to the showroom, I sat in a G80 and found it much more appealing in almost every aspect. Seating was more comfortable and the quality-look of the interior (materials and design) was excellent. I don't remember why I did not reconsider the G80 as a possible replacement for my S450 when the lease is up next year, but I definitely would consider one if the pricing and auto loan availability at a reasonable interest. Definitely something to think about.

I read here on this forum that several of our members found the G70 intriguing and tempting. I would like to know how you would rate the G70 compared to some of the models I listed above as being more preferrable. I noticed that the dealership's name was changed from Hyundai to Genesis on one side of the building. That would mean that the service department services both the Genesis and Hyundai vehicles. I thought they were supposed to be stand-alone dealerships.

Mike...I’ve yet to see a G70 in the flesh in or around Cincinnati. For whatever reason, there are no “stand alone” Genesis franchises around here. There are Hyundai dealerships that are trying to double as Genesis stores. But, even those don’t seem to have any G70s in stock.

But, given I’ve driven the G70’s kissing cousin, the Kia Stinger, I can say it is one of the most enticing entries in the 4 door sports car field that I’ve ever driven. That includes the 3 Series, the C Class, the Infiniti Q50 and my beloved Acura TLX.

Not sure what, if any, discounts the G70s are getting. But, I mentioned I could have purchased a Kia Stinger GT2 (all loaded up) with an MSRP of ~$52K for ~$38K. A part of me still wished I would have pulled the trigger. But, from what I’ve read, those early Stingers had some teething pains.

If they got those sorted, and if I’m disappointed in the new TLX that’s widely anticipated next year, I’ll look long and hard at the Kia Stinger, again.

BTW...the Stinger has a longer wheelbase than the G70, and that means more interior room. So, perhaps with a bit more room, you may have belt better about it. That said, from the pics I’ve seen, the Stinger has a more sporty appearance, in and out, than the G70, too.
    So makes me wonder if Genesis/Kia/Hyundai are following the Lexus/Toyota models? I would be really interested in the reliability durability issues.
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977

Front windshield should be cheap to replace....it is perfectly flat.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    ab348 said:

OK, guys. This off-topic politics needs to stop, or we'll have to have a time out here. We seem to be way out of balance. If you have posts that relate to the auto industry that might touch on politics, we'll let that slide, otherwise your off-topic posts should try to be more personal and benign. Thank you for rising to the task.

Oh, all right. Besides, @driver100 started it. ;)
    I got fished in....I was just doing a rebuttal! :@

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    Just passed the new location of “Genesis of Cherry Hill” which is about 5 minutes or so from the current Hyundai/Genesis dealer.  

Right now it appears they are using the parking lot for extra inventory.  Lots of Hyundai SUVs parked there.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    edited April 2019

ruking1 said:

The valet/g wagon post is a great reminder why I go out of my way & will continue to refuse valet services.🏎 My bet would be on the g wagon being “cowboyed”.

Me and the misses went out to eat last Saturday night and the valet refused to give us service. 

Must be some prejudice against motorcycles

It would have been even funnier if you went on your bicycle!
    ......and even better on your unicycle!

• Options
    abacomike said:

He pulled up a white "3.3T Advanced" G70 model which MSRP'd for almost $47,000. I found the G70 sedan somewhat "lack-luster". For that kind of money, there are many other vehicles on the market that far surpass this car in styling, quality interior materials and workmanship. The Acura, Avalon, ES350, C300, Q50, to name a few, are far more interesting in terms of available options, materials and style/design of the interior. I did find the 3.3 Twin Turbo more than adequate for power and performance and the exterior styling was attractive - at least to me..

Good review Mike. I find that the journalists often get excited when a new model comes out and they get carried away with their praises. Then, once the dust settles we find out that the new entry is not all that it was cracked up to be. It seems the new entry is better than they expected, so they build it up to be more than it really was. The early Genesis models are an example, Ford Fairmont in the old days, first GM front wheel drives like Omega, Hyundai Pony, Fiat, Edsel, AMC Pacer, Fierro, Tesla, DeLorean, Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solace.....can you think of anymore?

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited April 2019
    ruking1 said:

ruking1 said:

Must be some prejudice against motorcycles.
    It may be it’s as easy as they probably didn’t know how to drive/maneuver it.

They need a PC change of attitude! Check this advertisement for a _senior living_ location nearby. The lady riding home in her motorcycle is used in other commercials by them and I find her obnoxious, flashing her hair and good looks. She's not the typical senior living resident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qIe5TK6d34&list=PLy0OXlAuY6Np5e1rk1YBkE5LIRypt3v8H&index=18&t=0s

Here's another commercial that I turn off.
    https://youtu.be/rFNDvtkSzTc

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    driver100 said:

Good review Mike. I find that the journalists often get excited when a new model comes out and they get carried away with their praises. Then, once the dust settles we find out that the new entry is not all that it was cracked up to be. It seems the new entry is better than they expected, so they build it up to be more than it really was. The early Genesis models are an example, Ford Fairmont in the old days, first GM front wheel drives like Omega, Hyundai Pony, Fiat, Edsel, AMC Pacer, Fierro, Tesla, DeLorean, Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solace.....can you think of anymore?

One that sticks with me because it affected my buying process was in late 1989/early 1990, C&D did a comparison of sport hatches or compacts. They had a tie for first, the VW GTI and the new Dodge (Mitsubishi) Colt GT.

I actually looked for a Colt GT here and found none. I'm glad about that now. I bought the GTI.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    People renting u hauls are not truckers. They are car-ers using their regular google maps!

T, that’s the Jeep dealer, right? They are already using the service bays and prep area from what the sales lady told me.

Mike, trying to be polite here, but you are not the demo the G70 was aimed at. So not surprised you didn’t like it! My son loves his. And I think you sold the power short. It is wicked quick, even more so if already moving. But no, it’s nothing like an S class MB.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    If we're allowed to speak of obnoxious commercials, I watched the NFL draft on NFL Network this weekend and they kept running a Verizon ad with "Ned". Ned apparently hiked to the deserted woods in the middle of nowhere and then decided it would be a good idea to climb a tree, which he proceeded to fall out of at a height of 22 feet. The not so soft landing shattered his pelvis.

Where it really gets obnoxious is his account of how Verizon's network still worked way out there, so he called his wife (I was more impressed that his phone survived the fall). To paraphrase the account in the ad, he said "I hurt myself falling out of a tree and I can't move, I think I broke my pelvis" to which she replied something like "Ha ha, what a joker!". I mean, really. I think once I recovered I might be re-evaluating my choice of life partner. She probably isn't too happy that hubby made her sound like a moron either.

It got topped later in the weekend when an ad for some channel called "adult swim" appeared (it apparently shows stuff like Beavis and Butthead and every other lowbrow show they can find). This promo showed a guy sitting in a clawfoot bathtub, buried in a pile of french fries, while a Nurse Ratched-looking type poured gravy from a 5-gallon bucket over them/him. I still don't get it, but it was pretty disgusting.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    stickguy said:
    People renting u hauls are not truckers. They are car-ers using their regular google maps! T, that’s the Jeep dealer, right? They are already using the service bays and prep area from what the sales lady told me. Mike, trying to be polite here, but you are not the demo the G70 was aimed at. So not surprised you didn’t like it! My son loves his. And I think you sold the power short. It is wicked quick, even more so if already moving. But no, it’s nothing like an S class MB.
    Yes on 73.  I think it used to be called Lenihan.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

They need a PC change of attitude! Check this advertisement for a _senior living_ location nearby. The lady riding home in her motorcycle is used in other commercials by them and I find her obnoxious, flashing her hair and good looks. She's not the typical senior living resident.

You're kidding, right? "flashing her hair and good looks" -- are you sure you linked to the correct youtube video???

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    ab348 said:
    If we're allowed to speak of obnoxious commercials, I watched the NFL draft on NFL Network this weekend and they kept running a Verizon ad with "Ned". Ned apparently hiked to the deserted woods in the middle of nowhere and then decided it would be a good idea to climb a tree, which he proceeded to fall out of at a height of 22 feet. The not so soft landing shattered his pelvis. Where it really gets obnoxious is his account of how Verizon's network still worked way out there, so he called his wife (I was more impressed that his phone survived the fall). To paraphrase the account in the ad, he said "I hurt myself falling out of a tree and I can't move, I think I broke my pelvis" to which she replied something like "Ha ha, what a joker!". I mean, really. I think once I recovered I might be re-evaluating my choice of life partner. She probably isn't too happy that hubby made her sound like a moron either. It got topped later in the weekend when an ad for some channel called "adult swim" appeared (it apparently shows stuff like Beavis and Butthead and every other lowbrow show they can find). This promo showed a guy sitting in a clawfoot bathtub, buried in a pile of french fries, while a Nurse Ratched-looking type poured gravy from a 5-gallon bucket over them/him. I still don't get it, but it was pretty disgusting.
    If I were Neds wife I would be evaluating my choice of life partners. First off why is he climbing trees in the middle of nowhere? Second if he is seriously hurt why didn't me call EMS?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    stickguy said:

... And I think you sold the power short. It is wicked quick, even more so if already moving. But no, it’s nothing like an S class MB.

I think the MotorWeek episode I linked for this week shows that. It tested the 3.3L and the 2.0 L with a MANUAL transmission. Two different animals. But for manual lovers... well it's there.

They said something about the Stinger being quicker in one of those configurations.

• Options
    henryn said:

You're kidding, right? "flashing her hair and good looks" -- are you sure you linked to the correct youtube video???

Take a look at the second video I linked. She's more stuck on herself than 99% of the folks on TV.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    edited April 2019
    Maybe not brand new, latest it can be is an 18. This is actually a G550 4x4, somewhat rare and expensive model, original MSRP was probably well north of 200K with options. That A-pillar damage is nasty, a lesser model would probably end up being a write-off. And even then, it's a gamble.

So what happens when you give your brand new, heavily-optioned Mercedes G550 to a valet to park underground? Well-----this is what happens. The impact was so hard that it bent the entire rear quarter panels. This is going to be a very pricey settlement. You can load these up with option to bust $200K I would guess. I can see custom carbon fiber bodywork, too.

• Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    edited April 2019
    abacomike said:

He pulled up a white "3.3T Advanced" G70 model which MSRP'd for almost $47,000. I found the G70 sedan somewhat "lack-luster". For that kind of money, there are many other vehicles on the market that far surpass this car in styling, quality interior materials and workmanship. The Acura, Avalon, ES350, C300, Q50, to name a few, are far more interesting in terms of available options, materials and style/design of the interior. I did find the 3.3 Twin Turbo more than adequate for power and performance and the exterior styling was attractive - at least to me.

It's all good, Mike, but I don't think you're being fair to this car. G70 has a starting price near $36K (2l turbo), which none of those you listed can touch at the same level of the equipment. I bet that the "lackluster" $47K G70 you saw has enough equipment level (engine upgrade, if applicable, AWD, seat trim, goodies) that you would easily need extra 10 to 20 grand more in vehicles to match it you mentioned (especially C class). Perhaps ES and Avalon feel nicer inside at very similar price point, give or take couple grand, as long as you're OK with FWD (many people are).

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    edited April 2019
    driver100 said:

Ford Fairmont in the old days, first GM front wheel drives like Omega, Hyundai Pony, Fiat, Edsel, AMC Pacer, Fierro, Tesla, DeLorean, Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solace.....can you think of anymore?

It was Solstice. Solace would be a terrible name for a car.

BTW, you missed entire Chrysler line of "early praise turned pile of junk": PT Cruiser, 300/Charger, Challenger, Caliber. Those were often very attractive visually, evoking a lot of desire until first reports of poor quality came in.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    edited April 2019
    ab348 said:

If we're allowed to speak of obnoxious commercials, I watched the NFL draft on NFL Network this weekend and they kept running a Verizon ad with "Ned". Ned apparently hiked to the deserted woods in the middle of nowhere and then decided it would be a good idea to climb a tree, which he proceeded to fall out of at a height of 22 feet. The not so soft landing shattered his pelvis.

Where it really gets obnoxious is his account of how Verizon's network still worked way out there, so he called his wife (I was more impressed that his phone survived the fall). To paraphrase the account in the ad, he said "I hurt myself falling out of a tree and I can't move, I think I broke my pelvis" to which she replied something like "Ha ha, what a joker!". I mean, really. I think once I recovered I might be re-evaluating my choice of life partner. She probably isn't too happy that hubby made her sound like a moron either.

It got topped later in the weekend when an ad for some channel called "adult swim" appeared (it apparently shows stuff like Beavis and Butthead and every other lowbrow show they can find). This promo showed a guy sitting in a clawfoot bathtub, buried in a pile of french fries, while a Nurse Ratched-looking type poured gravy from a 5-gallon bucket over them/him. I still don't get it, but it was pretty disgusting.

I already mentioned that one, but will repeat - my candidate for the most obnoxious commercial is Cadillac's with David Bowie's "Fame" tune. Great tune, everything else just worst possible taste - Egyptian pharaoh in a sedan chair carried by slaves, followed by a maharajah on an elephant with all kind of gold on their person, followed by a Marie Antoinette figure in a coach, followed by some happy upper class folks in an Escalade. Buy Cadillac, you'll join long line of world's most obnoxious oppressors. Talking about tone deaf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAypCAtsyL0

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Back around 2014 or 2015, I test drove a Genesis. It was the V8 model, about 2 years old, with about 25k miles. I was impressed enough that I made an offer. This was around mid-day on a Saturday. As I recall, they were asking $27 plus TT&L, and I offered $25 all in. They (Hyundai dealership) politely declined my offer. Around 7 p.m., they send me a text message saying they would accept my offer. I was getting ready to go to a party, and didn't answer the text. By Monday morning, I no longer "felt it", and I never did get back in touch.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Nobody that age should be trying to heave around a 900 lb Hog. If that fell on her, she'd never get it off her.
  • Options
    dino001 said:

driver100 said:

Ford Fairmont in the old days, first GM front wheel drives like Omega, Hyundai Pony, Fiat, Edsel, AMC Pacer, Fierro, Tesla, DeLorean, Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solace.....can you think of anymore?

It was Solstice. Solace would be a terrible name for a car.

BTW, you missed entire Chrysler line of "early praise turned pile of junk": PT Cruiser, 300/Charger, Challenger, Caliber. Those were often very attractive visually, evoking a lot of desire until first reports of poor quality came in.
    Solace is what people give you if you bought one instead of a Miata.
    (Giving comfort or consolation in a time of distress or sadness.)

Not sure Solstice makes much sense for a car either;
    (either of the two times in the year, the summer solstice and the winter solstice, when the sun reaches its highest or lowest point in the sky at noon, marked by the longest and shortest days.)

• Options
    edited April 2019

Nobody that age should be trying to heave around a 900 lb Hog. If that fell on her, she'd never get it off her.

One old friends’ wife routinely rides her own Harley Davidson with him (without also).
  • Options

It's a commercial.......I liked it....just 30 seconds long and a little bit far fetched, but not too boring....especially if you only see it once. The second commercial went for the infomercial, brief but tried to cover all the bases.....just words.

• Options
    ruking1 said:

One old friends’ wife routinely rides her own Harley Davidson with him (without also).
    Well if you're careful, but I see a lot of old guys struggling with them. My bike is at least 500 lbs lighter--think you'd notice that when you're wheeling it around in a parking lot?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    driver100 said:

It's a commercial.......I liked it....just 30 seconds long and a little bit far fetched, but not too boring....especially if you only see it once. The second commercial went for the infomercial, brief but tried to cover all the bases.....just words.
    The commercials play frequently for certain programs--Judge Judy... e.g.. But the worst are the catheter sales commercials along with some other medical items aimed at older folks. And advertisements for attorneys.

I can't decide if the lady is supposed to be an actual resident who is lively enough that she plays a Hugh Hefner like older bunny or if she is just an actress poorly chosen for the role. A friend of ours has been in apartments in a large care facility where she was self sustaining. Now she's in an area with small apartments and is checked on regularly and helped by caregivers. I have never, never seen anyone in as good condition as the lady with the motorcycle. I also didn't see any motorcycles parked around Friendship Village despite a large number of apartment residents having an automobile that they keep.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I guess it's like buying cars, some folks buy a car to help shape their ego and some buy a car to fit their ego.
    So some pick a nursing facility based on what they would like to be versus what the facility really should be offering to folks.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    dino001 said:

This is most certainly true. The LH trio (Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler Concorde & Eagle Vision) were praised to the rafters by CR when they first came out and turned out to have many issues, mostly related to the automatic transmission. CR later downgraded them significantly. That was my first and (God willing) my last daily driver with an automatic transmission.

To follow up with the "shame on me" piece, (the LH was the shame on you), CR did the same damn thing with the Lincoln LS. That car had a manual transmission, many aluminum bits (to achieve ~50% F/R weight distribution) and was meant to compete (it said there) with the Germans. Well, it might have, if they'd have stuck with it, but they didn't. The manual transmission was discontinued three years after the car was introduced, and the whole program went down the glory hole a few years later. I put 118K miles on mine, including a drive to AK and back, but I'm confident I would have been much happier with a 3 series purchased in 2000. Oh well. . .

This is part of why I think CR is a steaming pile, as it relates to cars.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    fintail said:

Maybe not brand new, latest it can be is an 18. This is actually a G550 4x4, somewhat rare and expensive model, original MSRP was probably well north of 200K with options. That A-pillar damage is nasty, a lesser model would probably end up being a write-off. And even then, it's a gamble.

So what happens when you give your brand new, heavily-optioned Mercedes G550 to a valet to park underground? Well-----this is what happens. The impact was so hard that it bent the entire rear quarter panels. This is going to be a very pricey settlement. You can load these up with option to bust $200K I would guess. I can see custom carbon fiber bodywork, too.

fintail said:

That low hanging beam must have been pretty short. The right side A-pillar looks unscathed.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Left turn Clyde. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    fintail said:

That could be a fun retirement gig for a car enthusiast, I wonder if that will exist when/if I make it to that point. Of course, for most private sector/real world workers, retirement age might be around 75 by then.

My perception before I started working there was that Enterprise was the third tier rental company behind Hertz and Avis. The other companies like Alamo, Budget and National were all minor players to my mind. I’ve since learned that Enterprise bought National and Alamo in 2007 to become the big player in the game. If I had to guess I’d say Enterprise is top dog followed by National and Alamo. I think they’re the only company that’s family owned.

I do know that they treat their part time geezers pretty good with profit sharing, 401k matches and paid days off. We’ve got many drivers in their 70s and a few in their 80s. Many of them are avid gamblers.

By then they’ll probably have selfdrivers that will go to their proper place without human help so we may both be sitting on the curb unemployed. At 75 you’d fit fight in though.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

OK, guys. This off-topic politics needs to stop, or we'll have to have a time out here. We seem to be way out of balance. If you have posts that relate to the auto industry that might touch on politics, we'll let that slide, otherwise your off-topic posts should try to be more personal and benign. Thank you for rising to the task.

Wow, what did I miss? My fault for going to bed I guess.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100 said:

Front windshield should be cheap to replace....it is perfectly flat.

Not any more!

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Nothing is cheap to replace on this vehicle, and the people who drive them wouldn't have it any other way.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    dino001 said:

ab348 said:

I already mentioned that one, but will repeat - my candidate for the most obnoxious commercial is Cadillac's with David Bowie's "Fame" tune. Great tune, everything else just worst possible taste - Egyptian pharaoh in a sedan chair carried by slaves, followed by a maharajah on an elephant with all kind of gold on their person, followed by a Marie Antoinette figure in a coach, followed by some happy upper class folks in an Escalade. Buy Cadillac, you'll join long line of world's most obnoxious oppressors. Talking about tone deaf.

You want a bad commercial? Here you go....

https://youtu.be/O4-e4nlfdRI

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    edited April 2019
    Don't click on that video, I beg you in the name of all that is decent. :s:D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883

Now you tell me.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options

Trust me that aired over Chicagos airwaves for a considerable amount of time. Yes it was the butt of a lot of jokes.

• Options
    Dear god--where's that asteroid that's supposed to hit the earth when we really need it?
  • Options
    It's imaginary, but they're planning for it starting today...

• Options

driver100 said:

The commercials play frequently for certain programs--Judge Judy... e.g.. But the worst are the catheter sales commercials along with some other medical items aimed at older folks. And advertisements for attorneys.

I can't decide if the lady is supposed to be an actual resident who is lively enough that she plays a Hugh Hefner like older bunny or if she is just an actress poorly chosen for the role. A friend of ours has been in apartments in a large care facility where she was self sustaining. Now she's in an area with small apartments and is checked on regularly and helped by caregivers. I have never, never seen anyone in as good condition as the lady with the motorcycle. I also didn't see any motorcycles parked around Friendship Village despite a large number of apartment residents having an automobile that they keep.
    I have been in some retirement homes and most of the residents are pretty comatose.....many sit around the TV and it is going but no one is actually watching it. There are some retirement homes where people are pretty independent and they can still do things and lead a fairly active life, swim, play tennis, pickleball, pool, take yoga classes......lots of things. I think the motorcycle was an exaggeration, but a lot of good commercials attract your attention because they aren't true to life....that is what why you notice them.
    Best to record Judge Judy and speed through commercials...I think you do that IIRC.

• Options

dino001 said:

This is most certainly true. The LH trio (Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler Concorde & Eagle Vision) were praised to the rafters by CR when they first came out and turned out to have many issues, mostly related to the automatic transmission. CR later downgraded them significantly. That was my first and (God willing) my last daily driver with an automatic transmission.
    To follow up with the "shame on me" piece, (the LH was the shame on you), CR did the same damn thing with the Lincoln LS.

While we are mentioning Chrysler lets not forget the Prowler.
    What was that all about?

• Options

dino001 said:

To follow up with the "shame on me" piece, (the LH was the shame on you), CR did the same damn thing with the Lincoln LS. That car had a manual transmission, many aluminum bits (to achieve ~50% F/R weight distribution) and was meant to compete (it said there) with the Germans. Well, it might have, if they'd have stuck with it, but they didn't. The manual transmission was discontinued three years after the car was introduced, and the whole program went down the glory hole a few years later. I put 118K miles on mine, including a drive to AK and back, but I'm confident I would have been much happier with a 3 series purchased in 2000. Oh well. . .

This is part of why I think CR is a steaming pile, as it relates to cars.
    I owned a 2000 Concorde and loved it. I bought it used and it ran fine until my son drove it off a cliff. It was the most luxurious car I owned until I bought the Lincoln.

The PT Cruiser was less satisfactory but I’ve owned it a lot longer.

• Options
    edited April 2019

That was pretty bad. When the bird laid that giant egg on the windshield I thought he was going to do something else. Those actresses will not win an academy award. Amateur hour.

• Options
    driver100 said:

dino001 said:

To follow up with the "shame on me" piece, (the LH was the shame on you), CR did the same damn thing with the Lincoln LS.

What was that all about?
    Those are developing a collector base. Why is another question.

• Options

Trust me that aired over Chicagos airwaves for a considerable amount of time. Yes it was the butt of a lot of jokes.
    The truth is, the commercial is sooooo bad....it is good in a way. Once you see it, it is hard to forget it.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Valet was probably taking a selfie of him driving such a gaudy ride, and veered into something. Not exactly a weak vehicle either, would have had a little speed to do such damage.
    houdini2 said:

That low hanging beam must have been pretty short. The right side A-pillar looks unscathed.

• Options

driver100 said:

dino001 said:

What was that all about?
    Those are developing a collector base. Why is another question.
    Yeh, I don't get it....seems they are selling around the $30000 mark.