Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    jim228jim228 Member Posts: 4
    vette for a miata...it seemed as if my vette had GM timeclock built into it's quality. At 80k miles everything started to have problems. I broke 2 different heater hoses wihin a week, one resulting in the replacement ofthe expensive optical distributor. On this website everybody talks about the fun pleasure of ownership, and reliability of the Mazda. On the vette web sites all tey talk about is how to fix them. In a certain way the vette is more fun because it has so much power, I was going to buy a newer one but the 5 year ownership cost is 45-50K, a little less for a Z-28 or T/A and every GM car I've ever oned with some type of removable roof panel has leaked. My Miata roof is leak proof and i can get 90% of the cars abilities working everyday, not the vette.
  • Options
    jim228jim228 Member Posts: 4
    Which do I like better? I getting to like the Miata more and more each time I dive it. I miss the power of the Vette but I'm going to have more fun in the Miata, which i geuss is what you guys say its all about. Oh yea, I wanted another sportscar, a reliable one (miata) and i live in Miami (convertible)
  • Options
    freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    I keep seeing the same thing whereever I read up on the new Miata. Every test driver has the same view of the six speed tranny - nice, but they would all stick to the 5 spd by choice. Do they give you an options at all of getting the 5sp with the sport or leather package?
  • Options
    crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    Freddy: I believe you can buy the sport & leather without having to buy the 6sp. Go to www.miata.net Go to 1999-? forum & you'll find all the info you seek.
    Chuck
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Joe: the rubber antennae has an "elbow" at its base, so you can unscrew it from the base and lower it to any angle desired.

justin: I imagine the overdrive gear on both gearboxes is practically the same. The 5 speed has more ratios, but they're a bit closer together so the 5th on the manual is about the same as 4th on the auto.

I believe the 6 speed is setup in a similar mannner (6th=5th=4th overdrives).

In other words, all will be loud. ;)

Just did some more maintenance this weekend. That O2 sensor was kind of a pain to get to. Once it was loose, it came right out, but I had to cut the lead wire and splice it to the new one (aftermarket Bosch). Works like a charm.

I also changed the Turret oil. More accurately, I added oil, since it was virtually empty.

The diffy and trans are next, but I need (much) bigger sockets.

It's getting cold. Bummer.

-juice
  • Options
    reichardtreichardt Member Posts: 1
    Seems to me that the 6-speed is the better choice for using the limited power, and that the only drawback would be more shifting. Is anyone familiar with the 6-spd and have a negative (or positive)opinion?
  • Options
    That depends on the final drive ratio. If they're both the same, then yes, the 5 speed would pull harder off the line.

But I imagine the 6 speed has lower (numerically higher) gearing at the final drive, to make it about even.

I have a question - anyone know what socket sizes you need for the tranny and diffy fluids? The instructions I've seen show photos but not those specs.

-juice
  • Options
    WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    My view on the six speed after putting about 8000 miles on one.

I applaud the fact that the six speed DOES improve performance. Test results indicate that 0-60 times improve by 0.3s for example (don't remember the 1/4 times).

And the extra shifting is not really noticeable. Very quickly you get used to the extra shift and it's easy to get into the rhythm of rowing through all six gears. Some people report that their 6 spd is notchy/clunky when engaging certain gears. Mine is quite smooth overall and has gotten better over the first 3000 miles or so. In highway driving at around 60 mph, you save about 100 or so RPM in sixth gear over the five speed.

But in the end, I don't think I would miss it much if I didn't have it already.
  • Options
    Shifting is fun with a Miata, so a 6 speed would just be more of a good thing!

-juice
  • Options
    pb_footpb_foot Member Posts: 2
    It's mid-life crisis time, so I need something to liven my commute. Money's a big constraint, so I'm looking at either a used Miata or a 1st gen RX-7. (IMO, the second gen RX-7s look bland.) I figure I should be able to find an 85 GSL-SE for around $2-3k, which even after rebuilding the engine should be cheaper than a 93-95 Miata. (Newer costs too much, older doesn't have the 1.8L engine.) I test drove an '83 RX-7 new and loved it, but it was a little too small to be an only child; got a 280ZX 2+2 instead. Thirteen years of E Coast winters and there wasn't enough metal left to salvage... Now I'm on the W Coast, so that's not a concern.

So which is better/more fun/etc.? My impression is that the RX-7s had more room, went faster, handled well. EPA numbers for the RX-7 were something like 20 city/26 hwy, which is not immensely less than the Miata (if true...). I almost never took the t-tops off, so I don't think the convertible will mean that much to me. Some of you have had both -- how do they compare?

Thank
  • Options
    dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    Just so you know, I do not own and have never owned a Miata (though I have test driven quite a few) so I may be a little less biased toward the Miata than most here.
    The first generation RX-7 is a fun car but if you can afford the Miata, I think it is a much better choice. It's nearly ten years newer. The Miata will be much more reliable than the RX-7 (assuming you get a good one). I think the Miata will be quicker, handle better, brake better and get better gas milage. Convertibles are much different than t-tops. It's so easy to flip them down, you'll be doing it everytime the sun peaks through a cloud. I can't think of a single reason to get the RX-7 other than the initial price.
    BTW, I wouldn't discount the 1.6l engines. The cars were lighter in the early years so the 1.6l cars are just as quick, if not quicker than the early 1.8l cars. Also, I believe the 1.8l started in '94 not '93.
  • Options
    karl1973karl1973 Member Posts: 89
    Test drive an early Miata (90-93) before you brush off the 1.6l. As someone has mentioned, the 1.6l cars are lighter and some people actually prefer them.
    Also, the B-series engines are pretty much bullet proof and the same can't be said of the rotary. How much does a rebuild on a rotary cost? I think it is around the neighbourhood of $1k to $2k. And for around $5k to $6k, you can find a very good example of an early Miata, which you probably don't have to worry about engine rebuild, and just gas and drive and enjoy yourself in it.
  • Options
    pb_footpb_foot Member Posts: 2
    Well, initial price is pretty important. This is car #3 in a 2-driver family and I don't want to devote to much to a new toy (looking at years of private school plus college for two kids...). Right now on Autotrader.com within driving distance, I see an 85 GSL-SE, "very good condition", fully loaded, leather seats, "high fwy miles" for $2,500 OBO; it's even the right color. From the RX-7 topic, I found a place that offers a 24-month warranty on a 13-B rebuild for about $3,500 plus local installation; 12-month warranty engines are about $1,800. So, if I need the rebuild, I'm looking at $4,300 to $6,000 depending on what the local Mazda shop says. There are 7 Miatas between $4,800 and $6k: four 1990s, one 1991, and two 1992s. Other stuff in this topic suggests an old Miata will be needing a new rag top. The miles shown range from 87,000 to 100,000 (two don't say). I'm guessing that none of them meet the RX-7 trim level, and I like bells and whistles (unlike our Host ;->).
    So here are my concerns about the Miata:
    (1) driver room/comfort. When I see Miatas on the road, the drivers look scrunched (or, perhaps, the car fits like a glove but in a good way). But then, an RX-7 isn't a Caddy, either. From those who have lived in both, is there any real difference? BTW, I'm 5-9 and 210 lb.; let's just say I'm "sturdy."
    (2) safety. RX-7 is hard top, Miata is convertible. Miata also looks smaller, but has the air bag. Significant other has expressed concerns about early widow-hood.
    (3) road noise. hard top vs. convertible, again. Sometimes it's nice to hear the radio.
    (4) maintenance. 85 vs. 91 is 6 years difference, but the 91 is still a 9-year old car. What am I looking at for suspension, transmission, electrical, etc., vs. the RX-7?
    (5) actual performance. My recollection was that the RX-7s dominated their class is SCC racing, way back when. I'm not seeing the same things here about the Miata (but this might not be the right place to look). Cars are better so the Miata COULD be better (quicker faster, nimbler) than the RX-7 but still not be competitive; is it? Can someone who's been in both compare/contrast?
    This is the Miata forum, so I expect a preference for Miatas. I just want some detail.
    Sorry for the length.
  • Options
    pinecrestjimpinecrestjim Member Posts: 64
    You've indicated that your purchase will be the third vehicle in the family. Assuming the initial two vehicles cover all aspects of your needs (utility, room, comfort, etc.), this third car is to be something of a toy, as you have stated. Keep in mind that toys don't always have all the creature comforts we're acustomed to.

I haven't owned a RX7, and only this year purchased my first ragtop ever, an '00 SE. I can't tell you in words the fun and excitement this car has given me, and my family too. We've got the other needs covered with an Explorer Sport and Buick LeSabre. This "toy" is simply that - a means to get in an open top and enjoy the wind whenever I want (wifey doesn't drive it!).

Personally, I think you'll be perfectly satisfied with the Miata. Everyone here says they're practically maintenance free, aside from the expected regular items.

And, since you're already planning to purchase a depreciated vehicle, I don't see where you can go too wrong.

My 2 cents.

Jim M.
  • Options
    sailbubbasailbubba Member Posts: 1
    Just came back after test driving 2001 LS with 16 inch Bridgestones. Seems that these tires send every little road imperfection to the steering wheel. Lots of vibration. Just to be make sure it was not just one particular car, drove another with same feel. Then drove 2000 model with 15 inch tires, and noticed less vibration. It's as if the 16 inch tires which are 205/45 W rated are rock hard due to the lower profile. My wife also drove both cars and she felt tires on the 2001 model made it seem lighter in weight and come off the road more.
    Has anyone else tested a 2001 model and noticed same thing? Bear in mind that I am not a current Miata owner and this just the nature of the car.
  • Options
    karl1973karl1973 Member Posts: 89
    I have not driven any 2001 so I can't help you out.
    But many a times, when cars reach the dealer, the tires are overinflated and the dealer may not have adjusted the tire pressure. A lot of people have found that when they pick up their new cars, the ride is very hard and turns out the tires are at least 5 to 10 psi over inflated. Check the pressure next time.
    After stating that, shorter sidewalls will also change the ride, as will bigger wheels.
  • Options
    shaw10shaw10 Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone had problems with getting door dings in parking lots? Seems like the car is a sitting target since it lacks side / door moldings...any ideas as to what can be done...eg - are moldings available after-market and, if so, are there any that blend in?
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    My gawd, no way we allow such a thing .... instead:

1) Park far away. Like, in the next county. Walking is good for you.

2) Better yet, don't park. Just keep driving. Ahhh...

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    superdave7superdave7 Member Posts: 2
    I would be interested in peoples' winter driving experiences in the Miata.My daughter will be driving soon and I am considering giving her my old sedan and using my '95 Miata as a daily driver.Not what I'd rather do but reality says drive it or sell it.Thanks.
  • Options
    Ron - my tips:

* park further away from the entrance
    * always try to find end spots (50% fewer dings right there)
    * if at an end spot park way, way towards the outside line
    * or parallel park if available
    * in a crowded lot, try to avoid facing driver doors (passenger seats are often empty)

Dave: why sell? Keep it as an extra vehicle.

-juice
  • Options
    should have read "the 0.2 inch of side molding will NOT do anything"
  • Options
    I follow this simple rule....park your Miata so that other doors never come near yours....park away from other cars, park far away, parallel park, don't park at all. Side moldings won't help because 90% of doors out there will hit your door where the side molding doesn't protect. I got a dinged in my Audi last year from an older model Audi and it is one inch away from the side molding. You would figure that it would have helped but if you line up most doors against yours, you'll find that every doors will contact yours at a different height and the 0.2 inch of side molding will do anything.
  • Options
    ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    concerning door dings. some time ago a manufacturer made magnetic door "bumpers". they hooked on the inside of the door. you put them on when the parking spaces are tight. they provide a moderate amount of protection. i carry them but seldom use them.

the sheet metal on the miata is absolutely more vulnerable to dings than any other can i have owner. to remove the dings, some have said that dry ice works. check out www.miata.net . they have tons of valuable info, all of it without the sarcasm and useless chatter found on many web sites.
  • Options
    heelandtoeheelandtoe Member Posts: 2
    It seems to me that the people who make a priority of parking as close as possible to the building's front entrance are also the ones who are least concerned about damage they might inflict on other cars, by squeezing into spaces that are too tight, by sloppy maneuvering and positioning, by bashing their doors open). So I refuse to park near front entrances entirely, even if there's an otherwise desirable 'end' space.

Park in the far corners of the lot, and park next to an island or curb -- that alone will cut the door-ding probability by 50%.

And one other thing: if there's a slope to the parking lot, think about what whether your nice remote parking spot is uphill or down from runaway shopping carts!

I haven't tried the dry-ice ding removal technique yet (I'm waiting for summer. I live in Vermont. If the technique is going to be effective, it'll be more so when the car body is warm than when it's cold), but I have experimented with "circuit-cooler" aerosol sprays, and it shows definite promise. Dings were at least diminished. Anybody else have experience with the dry-ice ding removal technique?
  • Options
    I guess I'm lucky, but it seems the previous owner took very good care of Blanca. She's virtually ding-free, maybe one or two at most, and she's a 1993.

The paint is the known-for-peeling Crystal White, too. Go figure.

Thank God for garages.

-juice
  • Options
    Juice : Dings happen in garages too. My son decided to build a skateboard ramp. I believe he used Casper ( our white Miata ) for a saw horse. Anyway I got 3 dents in the top of the right front fender. I went to the local dent wizard & he fixed them for $115.27. They did a great job. No I didn't kill my son. Boy it's tough being a Dad.
    Chuck
  • Options
    You're very forgiving.

I'd make him earn the $115.27. At least.

-juice
  • Options
    dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    True, most of the door dings in my Maxima are from my own Explorer which sat next to it in my garage. I'm even responsible for a couple of them myself.
  • Options
    Try door edge guards like these:

http://thejuiceman.homepage.com/care.html

They're on my Scooby because I park in a car port with the fire place that sticks out a bit on one side and a 626 on the other. They work for when I'm the one opening the door.

-juice
  • Options
    bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    It is terrific. I have not even sat in another Miata...just my 90, and was most impressed..The feel of quality all around me from the looks of the dash, carpet, steering wheel, body, wheels, was most impressive. It was smooth, quite, rode like a dream, handled great, had lots of power and felt, over all like a very expensive car....My 90 has 139,000 miles and has been a joy... and trouble free. From a recent post about the cloth top/glass rear window, I now have that and am most pleased..It is sharp.
    from another previous post...I fit in my toyand I am over 250lb and 6 feet tall...it can be tough getting in and out with the top up but the car is too great to let that stop me...This is my first post here so Hi Ho to you all...
  • Options
    shortbusshortbus Member Posts: 3
    Hey all, I just drove my first Miata the other day and I'm in love! It was a '97 I found at Carmax. I currently have a 2000 Xterra which from what I have seen I should be able to sell at a very minimal loss from depreciation. My main concern however is safety in such a small car. I have read that the Miata ranks very good in crash tests and what not but I can't find much info about those tests online. I would really love to be able to look forward to driving again (something lacking in the X) but I'm concerned about mine and my passengers safety (girlfriend says she wouldn't feel safe). I know its obviously not an SUV like the X so I expect it to be somewhat less protective but I'd still like to think that I would be able to look forward to driving again (or anything for that matter) in the event of an accident. I'm sure this is a somewaht biased opinion but thats ok, I think I'm just looking for an excuse to buy one anyways ;-)
    The years I'm interested in are either a 97 or a 99 since they have the passenger airbags. Thanks for any help, hopefully I'll be joining the ranks soon...
  • Options
    have you considered perhaps getting a good condition very early model miata and keeping you useful SUV? That way, you get the best of both worlds, and aren't stuck in "not quite the right vehicle." Your Xterra must be way underwater on the loan balance, depsite what kbb.com and edmunds.com show as its value. SUV's have lost a lot of value on the used side. If you could find a solid '91 or '92 for say $6K, with a 48 or 60 month loan, your payment might be $130 to $170 per month. By the way, '94's and later have dual airbags, with the M2's have a kill switch for the passenger side. Oh yea, if you want to make your Miata safer, ADD A ROLLBAR. It can add side impact protection, especially those pre '94's, and very good rollover protection. Don't let anyone try to talk you out of one. A four pointer is very solid and doesn't hurt the resale of the vehicle.

Good luck,

Ace
  • Options
    I would seriously consider a private party purchase for a Miata. Places like Carmax primarily buy theirs at auction. Who knows who owned it previously, and IF they ever took care of it. An individual is more likely to have maintenance documents and the price should be a bit less than retail.

Ace
  • Options
    shortbusshortbus Member Posts: 3
    The main reason I want to get rid of the X is just because I am tired of having a car payment. I only owe about $9500 on it but being a full time student I am beginning to find it difficult to keep up with classes while having a car payment to worry about fo the next three years as well. Not to mention the fun factor :-). I actually have quite a large amount of equity in it as from what I've seen there are many of them with higher mileage than mine being sold for close to what I paid new! The Xterra is the hottest thing going righ now in the SUV market, especially a yellow one. Carmax offered me 18K for it. As for the Miata, a rollbar would be a must mostly for the side protection it would offer. I didn't know the 94+'s had the dual airbags, thanks for that piece of info. However I am really interested in the 99's now as they seem to be within the price range I'm looking at (trying to keep payment to a minimum for maybe one year instead of the 3 I'm looking at now). I think I'm in a pretty good position to do this since I've got a good amount of equity in the X and I'm not really in a hurry to rush into anything. Plus I don't neccesarily need a large amount of room in a vehicle (I have an old Jeep right now that I would be able to afford to insure w/o a car payment to make) so that would take care of any hauling I needed to do. Thanks for the info though. I'll be sure to check back and let you guys know waht happens.
  • Options
    redirectorredirector Member Posts: 27
    In late August, I posted a message (#621) considering a choice of a Miata as a 3rd car or trading in an A4 for a 330CiC.

Last month, I traded in the A4 for a different choice -- a 2001 Mercedes Benz SLK 320 - V6, 6-speed. It stretched the budget beyond my target (hoping for about a $25k outlay for a new miata or a trade-in A4 + $25k for the 330CiC... this ended up to be about +28k).

Reasons for decision:
    - Retractable hard top makes the SLK 2 cars in 1, very rigid/safe/quiet as a coupe, and of course a nice roadster.
    - 6 speed/V6 -- granted, this shifter is a short throw but not as easy as a Miata's, but it's a better shifter than I had expected. The V6 is very strong, 0-60 in 6.6secs.
    - Dealer experience -- a single-brand dealer, loaner program, 4yr/50k free maintenance
    - Interior -- a beautiful tan/black two-tone interior that clinched the choice for me.

I don't think this vehicle can be the track star the Miata can be, so I will have to get my kicks elsewhere.

Thanks for the feedback - WarpDrive and Jwilson -- on this decision.

PS -- new 2002 Audi A4's look good, too! July '01.
  • Options
    I'm with Ace. Get a '99 and put on a Hard Dog roll bar. They're $300-400 plus installation. That's just one car payment for peice of mind.

Tell your girl friend the trucks do not meet roof crush standards that cars must meet (150% of the weight of the vehicle on its roof without crushing).

With the rollbar, your Miata would easily exceed that. Probably several times over. And it's more likely to allow you to steer clear of any accident in the first place.

Hop over to Miata.net. They have a full page documenting the Miata's safety records, and the vendors links will allow you to shop for roll bars.

Good luck.

-juice
  • Options
    Like juice implies, the real key to safety in the Miata is staying out of accidents. This may sound stupidly Duh, but the Miata can often be driven out of the path of accidents in a way that larger cars, less agile cars cannot.

But, at 2000# you really don't want to get hit by an Xterra, yellow or whatever.

Both you & your gf are both right. Now, sitting in my driveway, I have a lovely '94 Oldsmobile you could have .... hmmm, maybe not.

Take care.
    Joe W>
  • Options
    just a thought ... when my wife didn't like the idea of my new Miata I encouraged her to drive it just once .... then she loved it & has been fighting me for the keys for the past 4 years. Maybe it'll work for you, too.

Take care.
    Joe W>
  • Options
    Good idea.

When my wife went to buy her '95 626, I kept her from even driving a Miata, knowing she'd change her mind.

Biggest mistake in my life!

We later drove a '99 and she loved it. I had her sold on a used one.

At least now we have both, and all is well in the juice household.

-juice
  • Options
    hudsojohudsojo Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a 1990 Miata with 123,000 miles. Any advice?
  • Options
    weezer2weezer2 Member Posts: 1
    I am very familiar with the praise the Miata has received in the automotive press, and am considering buying a used '99 or maybe an '01. Are they still offering 0% financing for 48 months on the '01 models? Are you Miata owners satisfied with your purchases? What's this I've been seeing about a #4 engine bearing problem...is this something they're going to fix under recall?
  • Options
    If the car has been cared for & the price is right go for it. The 90 & early 91s have short nosed cranks that are prone to break. Go to www.miata.net & do a search on the crankshaft issue.

Good luck
    Chuck
  • Options
    bearbear1bearbear1 Member Posts: 16
    I used to have a '97 Miata and liked it a lot
    but sold it because it was my only car and I needed a larger one. Well all that has changed since I bought a new Beemer 5 series. The Beemer is excellent in every way but I really felt a loss at the fun factor my Miata provided. So last week I decided to shop around. First, I decided to test drive a few of the new roadsters out there. I drove the Honda S2000, the Audi TT, the Mercedes SLK, and last, the Miata. Don't know what it was about the Miata but, again, I was smitten. The 2001 LS has become so refined without losing its "true sports car" qualities that endeared me to my '97. The seats are very comfortable and the transmission (5 speed) is a dream. The Bose CD stereo radio is top notch. The color, silver, is beautiful and the wheels are too. To think that I got all this for tens of thousands less than the others I tested. The price was right at my dealer: $20,500 plus taxes, etc. I really am pleased and smile whenever I look at it or drive it. I am an old retired guy who used to have an MG, TR2, and Speedster in the late fifties and sixties. This Miata is much better than those ever were and it has the same CHARACTER! Ron
  • Options
    mtpockets53mtpockets53 Member Posts: 1
    I hopefully will be purchasing a 2001 Miata LS in June, I've heard that the number of six speeds will be very limited. Is this indeed fact, I hope not, but if so I guess I'll have to settle for a 5 speed. Are there any major differences? Happy Holidays all.
  • Options
    I have a 95 & I can't see the need for a 6sp tranny. Don't they want a lot of money for one extra gear? With the money saved you can get some other goodies for your new car.
  • Options
    bearbear1bearbear1 Member Posts: 16
    Forget about the six speed unless you do a lot of open highway driving and want to very slightly increase fuel economy. You simply won't use the sixth gear around town and suburbs.
  • Options
    freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    Maybe it's different in the US models, but in canada the leather and sport packages only come in six speed, so you can only get a 5spd in the base.
  • Options
    pinecrestjimpinecrestjim Member Posts: 64
    I agree that the extra gear doesn't add much except maybe a few less rpms at highway speeds. My '00SE has the 6 sp tranny. However, because of the close gearing of the 6, I would think it allows one to better select an appropriate rpm for the type and style of driving one is doing at any given time.

Sure, most times I'm conservative and run the engine a low rpms. Yet, when the urge hits me, I'm probably more able to keep the engine at the rpm range I want - something the 5 sp may not be as apt to deliver.

$0.02.

BTW - Happy New Years to all!

Jim Mahone
  • Options
    netty1netty1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, this is my first time. I have a Eunos Roadster, BRG V-spec with the most beautiful multispoke chrome alloys, I have not seen many more like these and wonder if they were Mazda issued. My car was imported from Japan. If anyone can help it is because I have damaged one of the wheels beyond repair and need to replace it. I have been without my car for 5 weeks now so please help
  • Options
    mechengineermechengineer Member Posts: 1
    The printed literature for the 2001 Miata that I got from a dealership says that the recommended fuel is "premium Unleaded"? The mazdausa.com web site says that the recommended fuel is "regular Unleaded"? I called a dealer and they said it was regular. Does anyone know if the 2001 new 10:1 compression ratio requires Premium?