Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Man. I know I had a similar job done on my Intrigue and it was about half that, but that was maybe 10 years ago. Inflation!!

I did front brakes myself once. The job itself wasn't hard, but it was a pain jacking the car, getting the wheel off, then reversing the process and then doing the other side. And I was lucky that nothing was rusted or frozen. Aside from the parts, I just had to buy the proper clamp to compress the caliper cylinders to get the new pads in. Too old and feeble to want to do that myself now.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    edited August 2019
    ab348 said:

Man. I know I had a similar job done on my Intrigue and it was about half that, but that was maybe 10 years ago. Inflation!!

I did front brakes myself once. The job itself wasn't hard, but it was a pain jacking the car, getting the wheel off, then reversing the process and then doing the other side. And I was lucky that nothing was rusted or frozen. Aside from the parts, I just had to buy the proper clamp to compress the caliper cylinders to get the new pads in. Too old and feeble to want to do that myself now.

Yes, my experience is that repairs often aren't as easy as they seem. I wouldn't mind trying this brake repair. But would want some backup. My friend just finished a bunch of work needed on his truck, so hate.to ask him.

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    jipster said:

jipster said:

jipster said:

Any you guys have 2 grand I can borrow? I have a very nice vacuum cleaner I could use as collateral.

Dealership says valve cover gasket is not leaking on alternator, the timing cover is. Would have to drop the engine and transmission. 14 hours of labor. Car is.probably worth $6 or $7k private party. So maybe I'll just stock up on alternators to replace when they become fouled.:-(

So now the work has gone from 7 hours to 14 hours?

I had a Toyota once that leaked power steering fluid on the alternator. Replaced 7 of them before I fixed a piece of metal over the alternator so it would run off to the side. Just kept the PS topped off.

What’s the status of the “timing issue”? I checked out those VCT solenoids and found price to replace runs from $200 to $600.
    That was the Mercury Milan that needed 7 hours for an engine tear.down. This is Mrs. Jipsters 2011 Hyundai Veracruz that needs 14 hours. So almost a full day of labor between between the two.

The latest on the Milan, I finally got an estimate.from the service advisor for a left and right VCT solenoid for $427. I think that is something I could do myself if I could find some decent information.

I was looking at that alternator a.little while ago, and yes jmonroe, this time I wiped some oil off. Wanted to leave it on before so dealership could see it. Thought it may better to leave the oil on...let that oil cake up on the alternator, instead of going inside. But... it is very tight where that alternator sits, I can barely see anything underneath it. Seems someone would come up with a cheap viable fix.
    I see. Maybe you should list your fleet so we don’t get confused. Anyway, my recommendation stands—fix some sort of diversion shield over the alternator and keep the oil topped off. 14 hours of work sounds like a rip off. 10 cents worth of plastic and a couple of screws is all you need.
    More good news from the fleet. Took son's Mercury Milan in to Meineke for a $19.99 oil change.... you know where this is heading? The brake fluid was low, I suspected it would need new brakes. Needs new pads and rotors all around, and front tie rods, alignment...AND new wiper blades! Total $1,072. :'(

Manager said he wouldn't replace the VCT solenoid since the car was running well. Don't know. Mrs. Jip wants to bail on the fleet and buy new. The ole Jipster to wants to stay the course.
    Wow, a grand in repairs, that’s getting up to repair costs on my 20-30 year old clunkers. My advantage is that since I have so little money into them to begin with I can leave them on the side of the road any time I want.

My old Lincoln Mark VIII was like that, needed about $4000 to restore it to good as new. Couldn’t afford that so I just did repairs of immediate need. Threw a thousand into replacing the air ride and crossed my fingers on the rest. Got my 40k miles out of it and it’s still running for the next owner although I’m not sure how well.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565
    jipster said:

ab348 said:

That seems like an awful lot of money for pads, rotors and tie rod ends.

Brakes, pads, rotors were $574
    Alignment $99
    Tie rod s $216
    Shop supplies $63.56 ....dang....that's a lot for paper towels.
    Then the wiper blades.

The $19.99 oil change only ended up costing $29.56. Had a oil filter recycling fee on there, and an extra quart of oil.

Yeah, that is a lot $$$. Think I'll take the estimate to my independent guy and see if he can do better. Friend says brakes and the rods are easy. But I really don't want.to mess with brakes.
    I always want to mess with the brakes on my cars. Afterall, the brakes are the only things stopping my cars. Plus I can't get passed the thought that the same guy that does brake jobs is the same guy that puts the wheels back on the car and you guys know how paranoid I am about people touching my lug nuts. Then when I factor in having to drop off the car for brake work or waiting for it, I might as well do it myself. Changing brake pads is so much easier than doing a brake job back in the day when cars had drum brakes and all the springs that were used back then, in comparison, doing a brake pad job today is almost like cheating.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    I just had the rear pads & rotors changed on my Infiniti. $142 for the pads & rotors from Brembo. $150 for my mechanic to install.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    jipster said:

jipster said:

jipster said:

Any you guys have 2 grand I can borrow? I have a very nice vacuum cleaner I could use as collateral.

Dealership says valve cover gasket is not leaking on alternator, the timing cover is. Would have to drop the engine and transmission. 14 hours of labor. Car is.probably worth $6 or $7k private party. So maybe I'll just stock up on alternators to replace when they become fouled.:-(

So now the work has gone from 7 hours to 14 hours?

I had a Toyota once that leaked power steering fluid on the alternator. Replaced 7 of them before I fixed a piece of metal over the alternator so it would run off to the side. Just kept the PS topped off.

What’s the status of the “timing issue”? I checked out those VCT solenoids and found price to replace runs from $200 to $600.
    That was the Mercury Milan that needed 7 hours for an engine tear.down. This is Mrs. Jipsters 2011 Hyundai Veracruz that needs 14 hours. So almost a full day of labor between between the two.

The latest on the Milan, I finally got an estimate.from the service advisor for a left and right VCT solenoid for $427. I think that is something I could do myself if I could find some decent information.

I was looking at that alternator a.little while ago, and yes jmonroe, this time I wiped some oil off. Wanted to leave it on before so dealership could see it. Thought it may better to leave the oil on...let that oil cake up on the alternator, instead of going inside. But... it is very tight where that alternator sits, I can barely see anything underneath it. Seems someone would come up with a cheap viable fix.
    I see. Maybe you should list your fleet so we don’t get confused. Anyway, my recommendation stands—fix some sort of diversion shield over the alternator and keep the oil topped off. 14 hours of work sounds like a rip off. 10 cents worth of plastic and a couple of screws is all you need.
    More good news from the fleet. Took son's Mercury Milan in to Meineke for a $19.99 oil change.... you know where this is heading? The brake fluid was low, I suspected it would need new brakes. Needs new pads and rotors all around, and front tie rods, alignment...AND new wiper blades! Total $1,072. :'(

Manager said he wouldn't replace the VCT solenoid since the car was running well. Don't know. Mrs. Jip wants to bail on the fleet and buy new. The ole Jipster to wants to stay the course.
    Sorry to hear about the additional repairs. Maybe you and Mrs Jip could compromise, get a 2 year old CPO car. That to me is where the sweet spot is. Car should still have lots of trouble free driving, but costs a good percentage less.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    jmonroe1 said:

jipster said:

ab348 said:

That seems like an awful lot of money for pads, rotors and tie rod ends.

Brakes, pads, rotors were $574
    Alignment $99
    Tie rod s $216
    Shop supplies $63.56 ....dang....that's a lot for paper towels.
    Then the wiper blades.

The $19.99 oil change only ended up costing $29.56. Had a oil filter recycling fee on there, and an extra quart of oil.

Yeah, that is a lot $$$. Think I'll take the estimate to my independent guy and see if he can do better. Friend says brakes and the rods are easy. But I really don't want.to mess with brakes.
    I always want to mess with the brakes on my cars. Afterall, the brakes are the only things stopping my cars. Plus I can't get passed the thought that the same guy that does brake jobs is the same guy that puts the wheels back on the car and you guys know how paranoid I am about people touching my lug nuts. Then when I factor in having to drop off the car for brake work or waiting for it, I might as well do it myself. Changing brake pads is so much easier than doing a brake job back in the day when cars had drum brakes and all the springs that were used back then, in comparison, doing a brake pad job today is almost like cheating.

jmonroe
    Believe me, I’m a lot safer letting a qualified mechanic work on my brakes than if I tried to tackle the job myself. B)
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    jipster said:

ab348 said:

Yes, my experience is that repairs often aren't as easy as they seem. I wouldn't mind trying this brake repair. But would want some backup. My friend just finished a bunch of work needed on his truck, so hate.to ask him.

Do you have a local vocational training center nearby. We call our’s BOCES and they do all sorts of car repairs free as a training exercise. You supply parts and labor is free. Not real quick but you can save about 60%.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options

jipster said:

ab348 said:

Do you have a local vocational training center nearby. We call our’s BOCES and they do all sorts of car repairs free as a training exercise. You supply parts and labor is free. Not real quick but you can save about 60%.
    That's not a bad idea. When people start learning a trade they are all fired up and want to do a good job and I'm sure their work is being checked so that should work out. The problem is when they get out in the field and have to rush because their boss has another job for them that has to be on the rack faster than time allows to do a good job. I'm sure most garages have qualified mechanics and they know how to do the job right if only they weren't being rushed. I'm also sure that when they work on their own cars they are not wrenching at a race car pace.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I bet Scotty takes his time to do it right.

Just sayin'

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Just sayin'

Yes, even I can do the resets.....but, a brake job....I don't think so!
    Some things are best left to the experts.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    My wife is being nice and offers the futon in our basement rec room to our nephew who is moving.
    He moves, but doesn't take it.
    Then he calls his dad and asks him to bring it to him.
    We are in CT and he is in NJ.
    His dad then asks me to go with him to drop it off.
    When I took it apart, found a problem.
    Frame is attached to each side with screws that go into a threaded plug, but one of the plugs had pulled out.
    Used some JB Weld to put the plug back in and it should be good as new when it goes back together.
    Of course, tomorrow I still have to go to NJ to deliver it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    did they ask to borrow your truck too?

• Options
    @stickguy,
    My BIL has a truck, hand me down from one of his sons, 01 GMC 2500 ext cab, so we are taking it.
    I didn't want to take mine because we are taking it to Ohio next weekend.
    We are delivering furniture on that trip, too.
  • Options
    driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Just sayin'

You forget, I am an expert. B)

There is a down side to being an expert. Often when I was working and would be in a typical meeting where a lot of the attendees were just lost, when it came time to make a decision, they would say, "let's ask @jmonroe, he's an expert". I would usually say, "I'd like to be an ex-pert but I'm just the present-pert now". Sometimes that would fly but often it didn't. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    We are going to Paramus.
    Palisades Pkwy or Garden State Pkwy.
    Around noon time, maybe a bit earlier, for either one. Any suggestions?
  • Options

My wife is being nice and offers the futon in our basement rec room to our nephew who is moving.
    Frame is attached to each side with screws that go into a threaded plug, but one of the plugs had pulled out.
    Used some JB Weld to put the plug back in and it should be good as new when it goes back together.

My son moved out too...sort of. He signed a lease but his bed is still here. I ask him what’s the plan and it seems to involve me turning the farm van into a moving truck. No schedule, no help offered, just...I’ll let you know.

I finally got to see his place today and while I’m there his roomate’s family show up with a mattress set for her. I’m waiting for them to bring it up the stairs but they just stand there looking dumb. Finally I get tired of waiting and I go down and gram my son and a mattress and carry it up a flight of stairs. Same with the box spring. No thank you received.

And I told my wife I was to old to be dragging HIS stuff up stairs.

• Options
    @oldfarmer50,
    My BIL sent a picture of where his son is living.
    I texted back, at least it's not on the 5th floor. :)
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

stickguy said:

Just sayin'

You forget, I am an expert. B)

There is a down side to being an expert. Often when I was working and would be in a typical meeting where a lot of the attendees were just lost, when it came time to make a decision, they would say, "let's ask @jmonroe, he's an expert". I would usually say, "I'd like to be an ex-pert but I'm just the present-pert now". Sometimes that would fly but often it didn't. :'(

jmonroe
    If one of your brake jobs fail...you will be the ex-expert.

• Options

My son moved out too...sort of. He signed a lease but his bed is still here. I ask him what’s the plan and it seems to involve me turning the farm van into a moving truck. No schedule, no help offered, just...I’ll let you know.

I finally got to see his place today and while I’m there his roomate’s family show up with a mattress set for her. I’m waiting for them to bring it up the stairs but they just stand there looking dumb. Finally I get tired of waiting and I go down and gram my son and a mattress and carry it up a flight of stairs. Same with the box spring. No thank you received.

I bet all that work is going to be worth it! :p

• Options
    driver100 said:

I bet all that work is going to be worth it! :p
    I have a feeling I haven’t seen the last of him.

• Options
    I got the daughter moved last weekend. I am done serving as a moving crew. Though driving the rental trucks is always fun! The BF brought along one of his former football player friends for each end of the move to do the heavy lifting. I carried some, but mostly surpervised, and showed them how to snake the couch in the front door. And of course did the driving.

• Options

We are going to Paramus.

take the Garden State. It runs right through the middle of Paramus. Though depending on exactly where you are going there are different back roads to take off of there. You will hit some traffic around the malls, but that's paramus for you!

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437

We are going to Paramus.

Garden State all the way!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    Agreed.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Thanks guys, taking Garden State!
    I was thinking there could be traffic on Palisades due to baseball game @1pm.
  • Options
    Saw that Peter Fonda passed away.
    You can't deny the effect of 'Easy Rider' is still felt today.
    https://youtu.be/rMbATaj7Il8
  • Options
    Got some Aphorisms today...these two might make sense:

1 Be careful about reading the fine print - there's no way you're going to like it.

2 Money can't buy happiness, but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Cadillac than

in a Ford.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Indeed, it dominated about 50 years worth of Harley-Davidson product planning, and no doubt influenced the stereotype of the boomer weekend warrior bad boy accountant on a brand-festooned 800 lb bike.

• Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    edited August 2019
    driver100 said:

About VW diesel emissions.....don't lawn mowers, trucks, buses and everything else emit huge amounts of pollutants? And, if governments make the standards impossible to obtain - what good are standards?
    A safety issue with a bucking transmission is much more obtrusive in your life......I would find that impossible to live with.

Not to mention airplanes, all the ships at sea, and diesel vehicles all over the rest of the world.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    What's the odd stat, something like the 15 largest cargo ships create more emissions than all the cars in the world?
    houdini2 said:

Not to mention air planes and all the ships at sea.

• Options
    houdini2houdini2 Member Posts: 409
    edited August 2019
    houdini2 said:

driver100 said:

About VW diesel emissions.....don't lawn mowers, trucks, buses and everything else emit huge amounts of pollutants? And, if governments make the standards impossible to obtain - what good are standards?
    A safety issue with a bucking transmission is much more obtrusive in your life......I would find that impossible to live with.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a new gas powered lawn mower produces volatile organic compounds and nitrogen oxides emissions air pollution in in in one hour of operation as 11 new cars each being driven for one hour.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

I preferred this Peter Fonda film:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0xE-68P4ao&fbclid=IwAR3A5-R5ZecimDI_6KLz3mrgYSK-hUEEURlv1_dymYPV17MOO3vfc6rxQdA

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    driver100 said:

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a new gas powered lawn mower produces volatile organic compounds and nitrogen oxides emissions air pollution in in in one hour of operation as 11 new cars each being driven for one hour.

The Eco-[non-permissible content removed] will have to pry my two ZTR mowers from my cold dead fingers...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    driver100 said:

The problem is that the EPA has never been consistent with their claim so I have to question any of them.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    fintail said:

Indeed, it dominated about 50 years worth of Harley-Davidson product planning, and no doubt influenced the stereotype of the boomer weekend warrior bad boy accountant on a brand-festooned 800 lb bike.

I don't know, I have always viewed the Fonda children of being nothing like their father who had nothing going for him except common sense and talent. The only Peter Fonda movie that I can ever think of is Easy Rider and as you pointed out created the weekend warrior biker and an untold number of garages with 10 year old bikes with under 10k miles on them.

• Options

driver100 said:

The problem is that the EPA has never been consistent with their claim so I have to question any of them.
    .....but, even if they are half right.........

• Options

fintail said:

I don't know, I have always viewed the Fonda children of being nothing like their father who had nothing going for him except common sense and talent. The only Peter Fonda movie that I can ever think of is Easy Rider and as you pointed out created the weekend warrior biker and an untold number of garages with 10 year old bikes with under 10k miles on them.
    Yeh, that movie almost made safety cautious me go out and get a Harley.......

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Fonda was in other movies, got an Oscar nom for Ulee’s Gold. But he found what made him happy living in Montana. R.I.P.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    driver100 said:

I find that really hard to believe. My mower would have a tough time using 1 gallon in that time. A car is using 2 gallons, easy. So that’s 22 gallons of burned fuel vs 1.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Ok, I did some digging. Here are 2 tables from 2 different EPA studies. Most push mowers are under 1hp. So the numbers in that table can be taken as is. For the car table, you have to multiply by 24.1 to make a full gallon and then by 11 cars.

Mower vs 11 cars
    HC: 261 vs 285.5
    nox: 0.97 vs 183.7
    CO: 718.9 vs 2491.9
    PM: 7.7 vs 2.25

I’ll admit the HC and PM are staggeringly bad for mowers, but NOx and CO are not even close.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

.....but, even if they are half right.........
    How can you say that when their own figures contradict themselves. it's like they are pulling numbers out of thin air.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    97.3872% of all numbers reported on the internet and//or in the press are made up. Otherwise, bring the supporting data and assumptions.

Yeah, right.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You guys are forgetting cow farts B)
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    I get the impression most of these numbers are made up or determined by finding the best or the worst of the lawn mowers and trying to use that data in their tables to make whatever point they want.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited August 2019
    A couple of days ago I went with a friend to see Apocalypse Now: Final Cut in IMAX. Wow. Blew me away almost as much as it did back in 1979. Great film imho. But it also reminded me of the parody that came out way back in early 1980 called Porklips Now, which I watched again for the first time in almost 40 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l-ViOOFH-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSSdCjLdCXM&t=4s
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    The horror ;)
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited August 2019
    Today's Chick Fil A surprise. I thought @Driver100 might have been visiting Ohio. The tennis tournament in Mason is going on and I know @driver100 and spouse like tennis.

I get some of the uniforms confused: superman, batman, spiderman, etc....

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,