Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    @js06gv - congrats on the new Mustang! Sharp color.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @js06gv - I had to take another look at your car on "the big screen," not my phone like last night. That is a really sharp color for the Mustang.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @js06gv ....beautiful Mustang. Congrats on the punch!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    nyccarguy said:

@js06gv - I had to take another look at your car on "the big screen," not my phone like last night. That is a really sharp color for the Mustang.

Hey, I really appreciate it! I'm far from being a decent photographer, and the pics look a lot more vibrant on my phone than they do once I've posted here. The color really pops more than any others I've had. Ford calls it Ruby Red Metallic and most of its models are available in this color, as soon as the buyer parts with the extra $395 that is. For 2020, it has been changed to Rapid Red although I'm hard pressed to see the difference.

Like I said above, I'm way behind on the posts in this thread but I just noticed the Tacoma in your signature line. I'll have to catch up on that. Thought your G37 was a keeper!

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

js06gv said:

nyccarguy said:

Hey, I really appreciate it! I'm far from being a decent photographer, and the pics look a lot more vibrant on my phone than they do once I've posted here. The color really pops more than any others I've had. Ford calls it Ruby Red Metallic and most of its models are available in this color, as soon as the buyer parts with the extra $395 that is. For 2020, it has been changed to Rapid Red although I'm hard pressed to see the difference.

Like I said above, I'm way behind on the posts in this thread but I just noticed the Tacoma in your signature line. I'll have to catch up on that. Thought your G37 was a keeper!
    I thought so too. Back in September, I leased the Tacoma (4WD, Double Cab, Long Bed, Automatic) for 24 months/15,000 miles per year & sold my beloved Q40 to Carvana. It is different for sure, but I'm very happy with it. Truth be told, 98% of the time I'm driving around with an empty bed but it has come in handy. I've got close to 5,500 miles on it so far and am averaging about 18ish mpg.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    nyccarguy said:

js06gv said:

nyccarguy said:

I thought so too. Back in September, I leased the Tacoma (4WD, Double Cab, Long Bed, Automatic) for 24 months/15,000 miles per year & sold my beloved Q40 to Carvana. It is different for sure, but I'm very happy with it. Truth be told, 98% of the time I'm driving around with an empty bed but it has come in handy. I've got close to 5,500 miles on it so far and am averaging about 18ish mpg.
    Understood completely. I will always have a pickup. The last time I tried to do without one, it only lasted 8 months until I had another in the fleet.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

js06gv said:

nyccarguy said:

js06gv said:

nyccarguy said:

Understood completely. I will always have a pickup. The last time I tried to do without one, it only lasted 8 months until I had another in the fleet.

I've been told by my wife that this Tacoma will be my ONLY pick up truck.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

Got a good look at the new Kia small ute coming out shortly, the Stelvo I think it's called. Looks great actually so now have the three of them on my short list. That one, the Hyundai Venue and the new VW Golf, which grows in length about 1.5 inches. Still, a very nice size. The Kia version will have a Bose audio system which will be just perfect. Had a B & O system in the Ford EcoSport I drove Friday and it was pretty respectable for such a vehicle. Small engine from what I've read but seemed to keep up in traffic just fine. Ample power when needed but since I only drove it for about 45 minutes, would need at least an hour on different kinds of roads to give a truly educated opinion about it. But liked the B & O system which is a good start. More intrigued by the Bose system Hyundai is offering so assuming the Kia version will have something similar to offer. Would rather pay upfront and have it all done at the factory instead of using the indie audio shop. Sure, they can make it anything you want but, at what cost and with how much potential damage. And I definitely have to have a good audio system for me to enjoy any new vehicle. But to be honest, price can add up very quickly using the after market pieces. Sure it might sound out of this world but don't want the price to be "out there" to be honest!
    So glad that 2020 will be the year of great choices for smaller vehicles around 170 inches. Hatchbacks or CUV's, don't matter to me, just happy that I now have some choice players in this field for me to make my choice. As much as I do love my 2015 Golf, I also want more of the safety nannies but also want that killer sound system as this could just be my last vehicle in this life. One never really knows what G-d has in store for us at this age and I just want my next vehicle to be pure fun, fun that has outstanding sound. Don't think that's too much to ask but want it all for under $30K out the door! Hoping for my Golf as a trade-in and around $20K to get the deal done. I know that that'll be possible with the cast of characters for 2020 without evening inviting MB and BMW to the party. Assuming they'll all be turbo's but a regular 4 cylinder wold work fine to.
    Has taken awhile but, I'm finally ready to start looking for a new vehicle within the next couple of years.

It is called the Seltos, and it looks great. Did you see it live and in person? A little bigger than the Venue, more power, turbo and awd available. Good luck.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    nyccarguy said:

js06gv said:

nyccarguy said:

js06gv said:

nyccarguy said:

Sounds like you might be a buyer.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    A guy in my building has a Stang in the Ruby Red, it is a GREAT color! He takes meticulous care of it, beautiful car.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    @js06gv - Congrats on the new ride, great looking car, enjoy!!!
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    @js06gv - congrats from me as well on the Mustang! Love it!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited December 2019
    qbrozen said:

Only took 5 mos, but Geico finally got paid for my BMW and are sending me my deductible. Glad it worked out in the end. And gives me faith in Geico. Been my best insurance experience of my life by far.

5 months to settle a claim is good? I suppose most have horror stories worse then that, or claims that took longer to get paid out (or not at all, ever).

I don't like Geico, but I will give them that they are a professional insurance company that seems to operate "by the book" rather than like some Insurance Companies out there that give the impression they enjoy acting in bad faith on every claim with every client. Those types of insurance companies are not following any book. Just a whimsical MO to screw everyone.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    His car was fixed in record time, correctly. Geico fought the good fight and eventually got his deductible back since the accident wasn’t his fault.

Many companies once they pay out you get hit with a paid claim and are out the deductible

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Thanks H2 for the right name of the new Kia CUV. Had no idea it was a bit bigger than the Hyundai Venue or those other things. Have not seen one but met a sales guy a couple weeks back at a Kia store and told him to let me know when they get some as I'm definitely in the market for either that, a Venue or the new VW Golf. Will need to drive them all and then decide but, I want the one with the most power and the most fun too drive factor also.
    At work, dropped off some Jeeps to the Jeep store that they bought from Enterprise and saw some beautiful vehicles. Love the 2 door Wrangler Sport but the smaller Renegade and Compass are both super nice also. But why, WHY do all Jeep products have such sucky mpg's? Just do not get it that they can't make a more efficient vehicle! They've nailed the fun factor hands down but economically, they definitely fall short. I want a vehicle that looks good, is fun to drive and that's also economical. That's it, those three criteria is all I need. Make it below $28K and give it a cool audio system and this kid is all in!
    Add to that small list the Mini Cooper Countryman and there ya have it, the for vehicles I've narrowed my short list down to. My list:
    2020 Kia Seltos
    2020 Hyundai Venue
    2020 VW Golf
    2020 Mini Cooper/Countryman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    nyccarguy said:

Time for a new wife! :smile:

In all seriousness my Tacoma turned 12k on the way to the airport yesterday. I always have the CCBA itch but I really can't think of anything I'd rather have since I have the C30 as a second car.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I had the opportunity to drive @breld's V90 Cross Country last weekend, such a great mix of sporty, elegant, sleek, comfortable and yet practical. A seriously understated vehicle.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    He’ll enjoy it till it’s time for him to trade it in!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I pointed out a few nice PUs to the wife recently, and mentioned not being a bad thing for the spare car in the future. she was non-committal but did not say no. As long as she has something fancy won't really care!

I really love the way the Ranger looks.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@stickguy - nice write up on a base V6 TLX vs your 4 cyl A-Spec.

stickguy said:

I pointed out a few nice PUs to the wife recently, and mentioned not being a bad thing for the spare car in the future. she was non-committal but did not say no. As long as she has something fancy won't really care!

I'd prefer the Tacoma over the Ranger.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited December 2019
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

Only took 5 mos, but Geico finally got paid for my BMW and are sending me my deductible. Glad it worked out in the end. And gives me faith in Geico. Been my best insurance experience of my life by far.

5 months to settle a claim is good? I suppose most have horror stories worse then that, or claims that took longer to get paid out (or not at all, ever).

I don't like Geico, but I will give them that they are a professional insurance company that seems to operate "by the book" rather than like some Insurance Companies out there that give the impression they enjoy acting in bad faith on every claim with every client. Those types of insurance companies are not following any book. Just a whimsical MO to screw everyone.
    I was being sarcastic when I said “only 5 mos.” but I don’t blame geico for that. I blame the system. The only other time I had to let insurance go after the other party took a full year, so 5 mos is actually good in comparison.

But, as pointed out, this whole process could not have been easier from my side.

Why don’t you like Geico?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    jpp75 said:

I had the opportunity to drive @breld's V90 Cross Country last weekend, such a great mix of sporty, elegant, sleek, comfortable and yet practical. A seriously understated vehicle.

I absolutely love my S60. My wife does as well.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

suydam said:

He’ll enjoy it till it’s time for him to trade it in!

I assume he has a few days off over he holidays. Gotta fill the time somehow.

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I recall not liking the seats. I hate sitting low to the floor with my legs straight out. But should probably test sit again.

Isn’t Toyota about 10 years overdue for a complete remodel on the taco?

My wife’s holiday party is Thursday night so I am on my own. Should go do some car shopping!

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @ Stick guy, yeah go do some car shopping Thursday night when your wife’s at her work holiday party I second that.
    @ Forget the posters name above, first welcome to the boards awesome group of people in here, and congratulations on the new to you mustang GT, bread is the best color for mustang I’d like that for years. Then blue.
    I love the color red on anything makes it look awesome my favorite color.
    @JS Timmy could barely see the red in the photo but it’s just me as you all know in here. Lol oh wow, this voice dictation, who is this Timmy that it speaks of disregard that. lol
    @jmonro lol lol lol!
    stickguy said:

Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I recall not liking the seats. I hate sitting low to the floor with my legs straight out. But should probably test sit again.

Isn’t Toyota about 10 years overdue for a complete remodel on the taco?
    I'll agree about the seating position, but I didn't notice it as much when I had a chance to drive the Tacoma @jpp75 has.

Yes, it's due for a refresh.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

qbrozen said:

andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

I was being sarcastic when I said “only 5 mos.” but I don’t blame geico for that. I blame the system. The only other time I had to let insurance go after the other party took a full year, so 5 mos is actually good in comparison.

But, as pointed out, this whole process could not have been easier from my side.

Strike 1: Trying to get away with replacing 1 tire on an AWD car where the manual specifically says never, NEVER replace less than 2, and recommends you do all 4 at the same time.

Strike 2: Making me ask them to state for the record "they do not replace unloaded carseat "bases" after a collision." Once I told them to put that in writing, the policy changes from what I was told verbally (which was we don't replace a car seat if it was empty at the time of collision), to , send us a receipt for a replacement car seat base and we'll reimburse you. I'm not saying which policy is or is not reasonable, but the fact their policy changed when I told them to "put it in writing" is disconcerting and highly suspicious. This is an example of not going by the "book" but by what they can get away with unless you put their feet to the fire!

Strike 3:
    In my diminished value claim, they wouldn't make it easier for me by "getting out of the way" to recover any of their own subrogation since I was going after the at-fault parties insurance company myself (Mercury). You have to do this with DV as I don't believe Insurance companies like to recognize the existance of DV (sort of like flat-Earth believers, or spherical Earth deniers). The guy only had $10K of liability, so it was clear between my DV, my rental car costs, and my deductible, I should get the whole $10K first, to be made whole. Geico wouldn't put it in writing that I should have first "dibs" on the $10K. They wanted to preserve their rights to a piece of that pie. Since Insurance companies are supposed to make you "whole" they are better able to absorb losses due to someone not having adequate insurance coverage, and really should do the "right" thing and step aside when someone is trying to recover losses from the other insurance company. They should unequivocably state they will give you first rights to the pot, so to speak. They were not able to cite any policy language as to why they wouldn't do so, they simply remained "silent" on the matter.

Strike 4: On another claim, they obviously had no interest in investigating fault, and just used hard and fast rules. I was technically "backing up" so I'm at fault. She could have been going 155 MPH in a parking lot and Geico would have still made the same call.

Strike 5: Getting too expensive in CA.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    Imagine if they spent the monies used for advertising on actually doing things properly.

Same for health insurance and pharma companies.
    andres3 said:

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Their ads used to be funny/clever. Now they are just absurd/off-putting.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    ab348 said:

Their ads used to be funny/clever. Now they are just absurd/off-putting.

Can’t stand any of the popular insurance ads. Geico, Farmer’s, Progressive... all annoying as all get out.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    qbrozen said:

I agree that five months is good in that sort of scenario. It took more than a year to receive our deductible on the 2010 Forester. Overall, I felt our carrier did a reasonably good job with it, but it was certainly slow on the final resolution. Biggest fail on that one is not receiving fair market value for the car. I eventually got it, but only by way of buying back the car and reselling it myself. So, if I don't include my own time, we ended up being made whole on it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited December 2019
    xwesx said:

qbrozen said:

I agree that five months is good in that sort of scenario. It took more than a year to receive our deductible on the 2010 Forester. Overall, I felt our carrier did a reasonably good job with it, but it was certainly slow on the final resolution. Biggest fail on that one is not receiving fair market value for the car. I eventually got it, but only by way of buying back the car and reselling it myself. So, if I don't include my own time, we ended up being made whole on it.
    You guys are a lot more patient than me!

I remember a time where some dummy rear-ended me and it was minor damage under $2K. State Farm (other insured) came over to my car at work, reviewed the damage, and wrote a check on the spot. This was like 2-day service at most. I liked the fact they empowered their adjusters to write the check themselves.

Companies that don't empower their employees use that as an excuse to take longer to pay out.

I recall a bad company that took over 2 weeks to come out and look at the damage, and then wrote some of the damage as "prior existing" even though the insurance agent on their behalf took several photos of the vehicle just a couple months prior, and it was in great shape. Don't like it? Tell them they are wrong, and they take another 2 weeks plus to correct the (deliberate?) "error" they originally made, because they have to come back out to "readjust" it.

I don't have any patience for these kinds of shenanigans.
    They can still do that in some instances - some carriers allow the local agents to cut checks for claims below a certain threshold ($2,000 or so), with limited documentation, and also for additional living expenses after a catastrophe like a hurricane or tornado, when it may be several days before an adjuster can inspect the property.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    edited December 2019
    Bad news, they'e totaled my kid's 2008 Hyundai Accent with just 40,769 miles on it. After her $400 deductible is taken out, Metlife wants to send her a check for $4053. Have already asked Q what he thinks and wondering, is this amount something that is negotiable? My kid's unhappy but best to just let it go.
    I see a new 2020 Hyundai Accent in her future!!
    Going down tomorrow morning to take her plates off and get her personal stuff out. Glad I'm off tomorrow. Also plan to take some pics of the damage. It's not that much from what Metlife said but, the car is over 11 years old. At what point is enough enough? No, it's definitely time to replace it. The guy who hit here just moved up her time frame! Stinks never the less!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    It’s completely negotiable. Show them some comps for what they’re selling for locally.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited December 2019

Thanks H2 for the right name of the new Kia CUV. Had no idea it was a bit bigger than the Hyundai Venue or those other things. Have not seen one but met a sales guy a couple weeks back at a Kia store and told him to let me know when they get some as I'm definitely in the market for either that, a Venue or the new VW Golf. Will need to drive them all and then decide but, I want the one with the most power and the most fun too drive factor also.
    At work, dropped off some Jeeps to the Jeep store that they bought from Enterprise and saw some beautiful vehicles. Love the 2 door Wrangler Sport but the smaller Renegade and Compass are both super nice also. But why, WHY do all Jeep products have such sucky mpg's? Just do not get it that they can't make a more efficient vehicle! They've nailed the fun factor hands down but economically, they definitely fall short. I want a vehicle that looks good, is fun to drive and that's also economical. That's it, those three criteria is all I need. Make it below $28K and give it a cool audio system and this kid is all in!
    Add to that small list the Mini Cooper Countryman and there ya have it, the for vehicles I've narrowed my short list down to. My list:
    2020 Kia Seltos
    2020 Hyundai Venue
    2020 VW Golf
    2020 Mini Cooper/Countryman

From what I have read, the Seltos will be available Feb. 2020 as a 2021 model. The local Hyundai dealers have a few of the Venues in stock but I haven't gone to see one. I like the looks of both of them. I am now back to being houdini1 as I was able to get my original identity back !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Better yet, ask them to come up with comps for Accents of that year with that low mileage.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    Thankfully she wasn’t badly hurt. I think she will appreciate the updated safety features, more robust structure and driving experience of a new car. After all after 10 years, time to upgrade a little.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    Yes, never take the first offer from an insurance company. Unfortunately, settlements are like buying a car, the first price is just the first step.

Here's something for Bimmerheads:

forget the grill. I can't believe how tall that new SUV beast is.

@fintail I stole that and posted it on Facebook with a caption that's probably not printable here! :p
    Just imagine the dialysis needed if our human kidneys got that big! :stuck_out_tongue:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator