Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

Changing the subject to cars: I mentioned again to my wife that I want to stop at the Subaru dealer some day to look at cars for how their ride height is for sliding in and out. Her reaction was again one of surprise.

Because @Oldfarmer50 found the Soul to be easy access, I pointed those out in traffic and said they are a good ride height for getting in and out.

But could she stand to ride around in a Soul?

Speaking of the Soul, as I mentioned before it has a GDI 2.0L. I’ve been reading about Honda’s problem with gas dilution of the oil on their GDI turbo. I was wondering if all GDI had the same problem or is it specific to Honda or to turbo motors.

Any thoughts?
    Hey oldfarmer....does that Soul have a backup camera?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe said:
    HEY, LOOK WHOSE BACK !!!

Thanks @houdini1. I think I'm going to get my old post count back but I'm probably going to lose the imposters post count. I guess I can't ask for everything.

Thanks again @houdini1.

jmonroe (the real one)

You mean you didn't try that in the first place a year and a half ago? :p
    I can't tell you how many times I tried to log in with my old info both before and after the imposter showed up. It never worked so I just stopped trying and let the imposter have his way. Edmunds obviously fixed the problem but never let us know. Maybe they don't even know it's fixed.

jmonroe
    Probably don't know it was ever broken.
    I think you should protest that you want your posts from the other guy added to yours.

ab348 said:

jmonroe said:

Edmunds obviously fixed the problem but never let us know. Maybe they don't even know it's fixed.

jmonroe

They seem to have totally given up on trying to fix the non-functioning pull-downs when making a post and the ability to post a locally-hosted picture.

OTOH I guess we should be grateful for small favors after the awful "rich editor" experience.
    I still have occasional trouble posting pictures or emotorcons. Interestingly, when that happens if I backspace to the previous page and post from there it usually works. Go figure.
    I may not have a backup camera but I haven't had any problems with emotorcons or posting a picture....some guys got it, some don't. ;)

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited December 2019
    Is there any chance your Windows 10 device is one of these that has Windows 10 S (in S mode)?

https://www.pcmag.com/news/369938/some-users-are-stuck-in-windows-10-s-mode

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited December 2019
    ab348 said:

It is likely something with its root cause in Windows and the sheer and utter disaster that thing is. I just got a new PC yesterday with nothing on it and went through the hoops of setting up Win10. Aside from the crapola that is MS Onedrive (just say no, don't have anything to do with it, trust me), using Firefox on it right now, everything here works the way it used to. But for whatever reason the version of Win10 on this machine behaves and looks differently than the other two, both of which are supposedly the latest and greatest, go figure. Test pic for attention:

Came out OK ab, ....but what the heck picture is that. A 60 Bel Air and a Corvair in the background, and a big statue of Mecedes Benzes 3 points ready to topple over into the water.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,938
    Cool, modern pic of the 60 Impala and background. I wouldn’t mind having that car today.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,314

Speaking of the Soul, as I mentioned before it has a GDI 2.0L. I’ve been reading about Honda’s problem with gas dilution of the oil on their GDI turbo. I was wondering if all GDI had the same problem or is it specific to Honda or to turbo motors.

Any thoughts?

No issues whatsoever with my Mazda or BMW GDI turbos.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564
    driver100 said:

Changing the subject to cars: I mentioned again to my wife that I want to stop at the Subaru dealer some day to look at cars for how their ride height is for sliding in and out. Her reaction was again one of surprise.

Because @Oldfarmer50 found the Soul to be easy access, I pointed those out in traffic and said they are a good ride height for getting in and out.

But could she stand to ride around in a Soul?

Any thoughts?
    Hey oldfarmer....does that Soul have a backup camera?
    Yep! A steering wheel too and you don’t have to drag your feet much to make it stop. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,033
    No it is a new Dell laptop PC, non-touch, so indication of any S mode. The changes are odd, such as not showing the preview image of pictures in that directory in File Explorer when you select that type of view. It just displays a generic image icon. After dealing with Win10 and Onedrive over the last 24 hours I wish I could have made myself spend 2x-3x as much and get an Apple machine. Although I'm sure I'll get used to it, the new Dell also has a subtly different keyboard layout which is currently a bit challenging.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

driver100 said:

Came out OK ab, ....but what the heck picture is that. A 60 Bel Air and a Corvair in the background, and a big statue of Mecedes Benzes 3 points ready to topple over into the water.

According to the source which is the GM Photostore site:
    The '60 Chevy Impala convertible looks right at home with the sculpture. From the informal background in this photo, it looks like Chevy's advertising team saw the amazing sculpture along a highway and shot a test photo for the folks back in Detroit.

You can buy this from them as a poster for $19.95. they also have this one:

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,257
    @ab348,
    When I go to my pictures folder in WIN10, there are a couple of icons in the lower right corner. It toggles between displaying a thumbnail and just the file info.
    Hopefully you have this too.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited December 2019
    ab348 said:

It is likely something with its root cause in Windows and the sheer and utter disaster that thing is. I just got a new PC yesterday with nothing on it and went through the hoops of setting up Win10. Aside from the crapola that is MS Onedrive (just say no, don't have anything to do with it, trust me), using Firefox on it right now, everything here works the way it used to. But for whatever reason the version of Win10 on this machine behaves and looks differently than the other two, both of which are supposedly the latest and greatest, go figure. Test pic for attention:

I dumped windows about a year ago. Chromebooks and/or Apple are the answer. I even have a chromebook desk top. It is an Acer, called a chromebase. Perfect, no issues. Inexpensive and takes about 5 seconds to boot up.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I think it would have a backup camera!
    Thanks GG, I would consider it, if I was a pimp.

edited December 2019
    ab348 said:

No it is a new Dell laptop PC, non-touch, so indication of any S mode. The changes are odd, such as not showing the preview image of pictures in that directory in File Explorer when you select that type of view. It just displays a generic image icon. After dealing with Win10 and Onedrive over the last 24 hours I wish I could have made myself spend 2x-3x as much and get an Apple machine. Although I'm sure I'll get used to it, the new Dell also has a subtly different keyboard layout which is currently a bit challenging.

I noticed a change in appearance of my downloads in my download folder with the 1903 version a few weeks back when I finally, after months of stalling, allowed the upgrade by clicking on the link in windows update on my computer.

My previous version was 1890 IIRC and it worked just the way I was comfortable with its working.

I since have allowed the download of version 1909.

If you have the Cortina box next to the start window click on that or search for "winver" and note which version your computer is currently running. Then on a search engine, search for how to change the way your pictures folder shows the icons. That is what I did to get rid of the chopped up date-by-date showing of the downloads I have. I do all my pictures and downloads in the download folder.

I found what I needed by searching. I had to change my wording in the search, but I got there. \\

Good luck.

If you have the Cortina box next to the start window click on that or search for "winver" and note which version your computer is currently running.

Thanks for that. Turns out the older machines are running version 1809 while the new one is at 1903. Makes about as much sense as the rest of Windows.

You would think a basic thing like home networking of 3 PCs would be a piece of cake by now. It actually used to be, but a little while ago MS got rid of it because they wanted people to use Onedrive to share and move files instead. But that works about as well as Lucas electrics on a wet day. So to enable it to be the way it used to be involves diving deep into the weeds of Windows and changing a few arcane items. And then the next Windows upgrade has a 50-50 chance of breaking it. Lovely.

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989

Well, it had to happen eventually, I posted on the "Tales from Under the Hood" thread about how VW dealers have a well deserved reputation for incompetence- my example being that 75% of the VW dealer in my area were not aware that the DSG transmission needed servicing every 40k miles. As you might expect, one individual on that thread is the preeminent apologist for any and all incompetent automotive techs and is twisting himself into a pretzel to excuse the rank ignorance of the VW know-nothings.

I can't remember the last time I even peeked in at that site. Surprised you still do. Not sure how anyone can put up with that guy. I'm sure he's good at what he does but if you're in that biz you should be. I just got tired of his crying.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The more things change the more they remain the same.

Don't know if this topic was discussed here but, according to Car & Driver, Cadillac is ditching alpha-numeric nomenclature like CT4 and CT5 and committing to real model names like Eldorado and Escalade. The change will begin in 2022, starting with Cadillac's first all-electric vehicle that's set to arrive that year. From then, the naming change will proceed on a rolling basis whenever new models are launched.

This move follows in the footsteps of Lincoln, which recently ditched its confusing "MK" names for real names such as Corsair, Aviator, and Continental, and stands in contrast to German luxury brands, all of which use alpha-numerics. We look forward to seeing the names that Cadillac comes up with, and can only hope that iconic monikers such as Eldorado, Seville, Fleetwood, and Coupe DeVille will return.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited December 2019
    This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Well folks, I am in the Caribbean sitting on my veranda having my coffee and freshly hand-picked papaya fruit.
    It is currently 85 degrees, blue skies and a slight breeze. The beautifully colored birds are chirping as if choreographed by nature. Such good living might drive a man to boozing and wenching, but I can try even if my wife wouldn't let me.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    I doubt they will use the old names... too much stigma with those as being old man cars.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    I am jealous BWIA. At least it stopped raining here for 1 day, but I am still tired of cleaning mud off the yellow dog.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

ab348 said:

If you have the Cortina box next to the start window click on that or search for "winver" and note which version your computer is currently running.

Thanks for that. Turns out the older machines are running version 1809 while the new one is at 1903. Makes about as much sense as the rest of Windows.

You would think a basic thing like home networking of 3 PCs would be a piece of cake by now. It actually used to be, but a little while ago MS got rid of it because they wanted people to use Onedrive to share and move files instead. But that works about as well as Lucas electrics on a wet day. So to enable it to be the way it used to be involves diving deep into the weeds of Windows and changing a few arcane items. And then the next Windows upgrade has a 50-50 chance of breaking it. Lovely.

I was hoping that the newer version was what was the difference. When I upgraded by clicking on the 1903 update offer, I saw a few changes in how things look. But I was able to search for knowledgeable help on the net to find the spot to change them back.

Most of the things are changeable in Win10. When doing the updates, it's supposed to keep the same settings. That's like car companies now making little changes in their car they sell us that may end of not being what we like.

I suspect the 1903 update was not made automatic 6 months ago, because some folks were very happy to have had no little problems with the updating. The auto updates were tweaks to 1890 version. I just got a wild hair one day and decided I hadn't read any problems with 1903 and clicked to update.

I agree about the durned onedrive. It's as obnoxious as the samsung drive and the google drive that both on my phone when I set it up wanting me to let them each copy everything on my Android phone, with my approval. Otherwise, I think they just copy everything withOUT my approval. And sell the information. Then sell the information to send ads under certain circumstances, but only the ones they want us to be able to see. LOL

My son had one of my 3 laptops and gave it back recently. He had onedrive on it which served his purpose but I am going to have to work to make it quit trying to go to it on startup.

tjc78 said:

I doubt they will use the old names... too much stigma with those as being old man cars.

Yes, that would be a mistake. I'm still not sure if the pivot back to names is also a mistake.

jmonroe said:

Well, it had to happen eventually, I posted on the "Tales from Under the Hood" thread about how VW dealers have a well deserved reputation for incompetence- my example being that 75% of the VW dealer in my area were not aware that the DSG transmission needed servicing every 40k miles. As you might expect, one individual on that thread is the preeminent apologist for any and all incompetent automotive techs and is twisting himself into a pretzel to excuse the rank ignorance of the VW know-nothings.

I can't remember the last time I even peeked in at that site. Surprised you still do. Not sure how anyone can put up with that guy. I'm sure he's good at what he does but if you're in that biz you should be. I just got tired of his crying.

jmonroe
    I just popped over to CCBA for a quick look and had to get right out. The urge to buy a car was overwhelming. I only feel safe here now. :'(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

bwia said:

Don't know if this topic was discussed here but, according to Car & Driver, Cadillac is ditching alpha-numeric nomenclature like CT4 and CT5 and committing to real model names like Eldorado and Escalade. The change will begin in 2022, starting with Cadillac's first all-electric vehicle that's set to arrive that year. From then, the naming change will proceed on a rolling basis whenever new models are launched.

This move follows in the footsteps of Lincoln, which recently ditched its confusing "MK" names for real names such as Corsair, Aviator, and Continental, and stands in contrast to German luxury brands, all of which use alpha-numerics. We look forward to seeing the names that Cadillac comes up with, and can only hope that iconic monikers such as Eldorado, Seville, Fleetwood, and Coupe DeVille will return.

About time. With the various SUVs adding to the alphabet soup it’s almost impossible to visualize which vehicle someone is talking about.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    bwia said:

Well folks, I am in the Caribbean sitting on my veranda having my coffee and freshly hand-picked papaya fruit.
    It is currently 85 degrees, blue skies and a slight breeze. The beautifully colored birds are chirping as if choreographed by nature. Such good living might drive a man to boozing and wenching, but I can try even if my wife wouldn't let me.

And here I sit facing a high in the upper 20's, and to add insult to injury she who must be obeyed had me take her to see Frozen 2 last night.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

jmonroe said:

jmonroe
    I just popped over to CCBA for a quick look and had to get right out. The urge to buy a car was overwhelming. I only feel safe here now. :'(
    But the virus that passes around over there is a short term virus. After a couple of months or more, many of them catch another virus to buy again.

At least here we catch a flu virus but then don't catch it again for a while.

edited December 2019
    ab348 said:

tjc78 said:

Yes, that would be a mistake. I'm still not sure if the pivot back to names is also a mistake.
    So you'er saying Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis aren't coming back soon?

I dislike the way option packing is labeled. Chevy used to have LS, LT, LTZ with a few variations on those.
    But then went to something with Premier as the top line model. I don't even recall the cheap steps. Lost me
    with the "Premier." I just don't like that as a model name for the now defunct sedans.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    any trim convention will work. key is to create a logical one, then stick with it. If I look at any Honda model, I basically know what I am getting between an LX, EX and EXL. Though after keeping that consistent for quite a while, they decided to add Touring about that, but it was not a hard change to process!

Acura does OK too. Got your models (with the alpha designations) but on top of that, simple packages. Base, Tech (goodies), A spec (tech + sporty stuff) and Ultimate (kitchen sink). And again, all the models follow the same packaging, and are pretty consistent in content.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

bwia said:

My jealousy tells me to hate you. :@

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,856
    edited December 2019

Lol. Very doubtful. Ford did bring back Town Car for the fleet version of the MKT but I think that’s gone now.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,938
    stickguy said:

I am jealous BWIA. At least it stopped raining here for 1 day, but I am still tired of cleaning mud off the yellow dog.

We had our two golden doodles (they’re sisters) bathed and groomed last Monday. Not cheap. It never fails, it always rains that day or next after we have them groomed. It has rained here 3 of the last 4 days. So much for clean pups.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

ab348 said:

tjc78 said:

Edsel would be good!

bwia said:

:'( :@ :@

jmonroe

stickguy said:

any trim convention will work. key is to create a logical one, then stick with it. If I look at any Honda model, I basically know what I am getting between an LX, EX and EXL. Though after keeping that consistent for quite a while, they decided to add Touring about that, but it was not a hard change to process!

Acura does OK too. Got your models (with the alpha designations) but on top of that, simple packages. Base, Tech (goodies), A spec (tech + sporty stuff) and Ultimate (kitchen sink). And again, all the models follow the same packaging, and are pretty consistent in content.

My Genny is an Ultimate. That pretty much says it all, even for a wannabe. However, Mrs. j's Legacy is a Limited. Still trying to figure out what it is limited to since it seems to have everything. :o Yeah, it's time to get back to Eldorado, De Ville, Grand Prix, Super 88 and names like that since everyone knew what they were. ;)

jmonroe

sda said:

stickguy said:

We had our two golden doodles (they’re sisters) bathed and groomed last Monday. Not cheap. It never fails, it always rains that day or next after we have them groomed. It has rained here 3 of the last 4 days. So much for clean pups.
    Trade them in for cats, I hear they are self cleaning.

bwia said:

Good idea, us older drivers get all those letters and numbers mixed up.

bwia said:

Ah, only going up to 75 in Tampa today. I may lord it over you guys with my Pfeister but he is doing it with the weather :'(

jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

My Genny is an Ultimate. That pretty much says it all, even for a wannabe. However, Mrs. j's Legacy is a Limited. Still trying to figure out what it is limited to since it seems to have everything. :o Yeah, it's time to get back to Eldorado, De Ville, Grand Prix, Super 88 and names like that since everyone knew what they were. ;)

jmonroe
    Yeah let's get back to American car makes original naming like the Model T and Model A (Ford), or Model C and Model D (Buick), or Series H and Series FA (Chevy).

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Nice to see the legacy of one trick pony deNysschen being abandoned. What a dumb move it was to the senseless alphanumerics. I hope all of the old names return, and we don't get things like "Blaise" and "Persephone" (thank you Simpsons).
    bwia said:

jmonroe said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    Yeah let's get back to American car makes original naming like the Model T and Model A (Ford), or Model C and Model D (Buick), or Series H and Series FA (Chevy).
    I’d be a buyer for any car they called Stutz Bearcat. :p

Funny thing, I have a Criminal Mischief case where one known criminal left his supposedly pristine 2002 Grand Marquis at a house occupied by a couple of known criminals while he served a prison term. Surprise, surprise, after he served his time he went back to retrieve it and he found it stripped and vandalized- with no credible witnesses to the carnage. The "victim" and his mom want $5,000 restitution. I checked values and it might be worth that- if it had at least $2,500 cash in the glove box.
    I'm certainly not going too waste a lot of time on the case; if the two perps will kick in $1,000 restitution each I'm giving them five years probated.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Funny thing, I have a Criminal Mischief case where one known criminal left his supposedly pristine 2002 Grand Marquis at a house occupied by a couple of known criminals while he served a prison term. Surprise, surprise, after he served his time he went back to retrieve it and he found it stripped and vandalized- with no credible witnesses to the carnage. The "victim" and his mom want $5,000 restitution. I checked values and it might be worth that- if it had at least $2,500 cash in the glove box.
    I'm certainly not going too waste a lot of time on the case; if the two perps will kick in $1,000 restitution each I'm giving them five years probated.
    But with no witnesses as to what happened how can you find them responsible? Was a bailment created by them agreeing to let it be parked at the house?

As to value:

https://www.listingallcars.com/vdp/6505658457928602245/Used-2002-Mercury-Grand-Marquis-GS-for-sale-in-Philadelphia-PA-19116-by-Damar-Cars

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    bwia said:

That beats 7 in. of continuing snow and about 24 degrees...but The Chiefs beat Denver !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,156
    houdini1 said:

bwia said:

That beats 7 in. of continuing snow and about 24 degrees...but The Chiefs beat Denver !!
    I don't want to hear about that.

:disappointed:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,257
    edited December 2019
    Looks like i'm going to keep my new car a secret until the kids get home to visit at the end of the week.
    Over Thanksgiving one of them asked me how many miles I had on my Fusion, so I finessed the truth by stating.
    'Last time I looked it had less than 22k on it'.
    It had been gone for a month and a half, by that point :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited December 2019
    driver100 said:

So, you're saying you own 3 vehicles but you have no idea of what models they are?
    :p

But with no witnesses as to what happened how can you find them responsible? Was a bailment created by them agreeing to let it be parked at the house?

As to value:

https://www.listingallcars.com/vdp/6505658457928602245/Used-2002-Mercury-Grand-Marquis-GS-for-sale-in-Philadelphia-PA-19116-by-Damar-Cars
    The case is basically a loser, no two ways about it- but the two defendants are risking 5 years in the pen and we do have a couple of witnesses to some of the thefts and damage.

As to value:

On Hot Bench the "suspected criminals" would get off unless their was direct evidence they were the ones who vandalized the car....or substantial circumstantial evidence.
    *Just saw a flash, there are potential witnesses - that changes things.

Oldfarmer, the 2002 model though the ask is $7000, only has 27000 miles on it. Sounds like quite a find, I'd like to know the story behind that car - mainly why is the mileage so low.

ab348 said:

driver100 said:

So, you're saying you own 3 vehicles but you have no idea of what models they are?
    :p
    lol........but I go in and buy them because I like them.....the numbers and letters don't do a lot for me. At least MB, BMW, Audi keep the numbers and letters about the same. A in MB is small, C larger, E larger and S larger still. Cadillac and Lincoln keep changing the numbers and letters and there is no rhyme or reason to their meaning.

I was thinking....remember when Cadillac moved to New York so staff would get more inspiration? I wonder how that worked out? I think our C&C gang knew how that was going to go.