Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Does Turning in a lease have any bearing on Negotiations

sparks70bsparks70b Member Posts: 3
edited February 2020 in General
I will be turning in my qx30 soon about 4 months early. It is about 10,000 miles below the 36,000 miles for a 39 month lease. I would think that would allow the dealer "access" to 10,000 miles worth of profit when selling the car. Can that allow me some bargaining leverage.

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    sparks70b said:

I will be turning in my qx30 soon about 4 months early. It is about 10,000 miles below the 36,000 miles for a 39 month lease. I would think that would allow the dealer "access" to 10,000 miles worth of profit when selling the car. Can that allow me some bargaining leverage.

Not likely. The bank (IFS) owns the car, not the dealer.

Why are you turning it in early?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    It is about 4 months before it is due and the dealers and Infinitti are calling and offering incentives to pay off payments and take it back. They both must have something to gain.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    sparks70b said:

It is about 4 months before it is due and the dealers and Infinitti are calling and offering incentives to pay off payments and take it back. They both must have something to gain.

It's possible. Usually, they just want to sell a new car, this month

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    Their gain may come at your expense. Be careful!
  • Options
    I was just suggesting that as a possibility at the same time you posted this. That makes perfect sense. I would imagine the bank sells it to another car sales group of some sort.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    sparks70b said:

I was just suggesting that as a possibility at the same time you posted this. That makes perfect sense. I would imagine the bank sells it to another car sales group of some sort.

Exactly. And, those 4 remaining payments have to be made.

Most likely, they will end up in your new deal, so you'd be paying for a car that you aren't driving.

Best to wait until the lease is over, then start shopping.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4