Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    love the Civic also. Mirrors would have to be changed, and the seats. But the rest, must be quite fun to blast around in. Brings back memories. My sister bought one of those new (first year I believe) and it was that car (yellow 5 speed CVCC). Without the mods of course. Surprisingly roomy inside for something so tiny. Even in 8th grade and reasonably tall I fit fine in the back seat.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    I like that '37 Ford cabriolet.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    WOW!!
    Shock of the day thus far for me is the fact someone was willing to pay $11k for this and, even worse, the seller had a reserve even higher!!
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-rover-range-rover-2/?utm_source=transactionalemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bat_reserve_not_met_watchers_bidders

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,144
    qbrozen said:

WOW!!
    Shock of the day thus far for me is the fact someone was willing to pay $11k for this and, even worse, the seller had a reserve even higher!!
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-rover-range-rover-2/?utm_source=transactionalemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bat_reserve_not_met_watchers_bidders

I can think of about a million better ways to acquire transportation for $11,000 than that. I'd think you would need another $11,000 in reserve to address the inevitable things that will go wrong.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I liked that one conceptually as a toy. But not at that price.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    11K probably wouldn't solve current issues, not to mention future issues. I understand the design is attractive, but that's a risky venture.
    This appeared as a "suggestion" for me in a banner ad - these are handsome cars and this is a nice survivor, but whaaaaat?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    fintail said:

This appeared as a "suggestion" for me in a banner ad - these are handsome cars and this is a nice survivor, but whaaaaat?

Sporty shorty.. sort of a cult model. Rare, compared to the 740iL.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

not that I want one, but if I did, that is a nice configuration.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    fintail said:

Hoovie talks about, and shows, the valve seals on the V-8 on his BMW. Interesting to see the whole engine taken out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7OuFYJLTE
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    That was terrifying to watch. I can see getting it apart, but can’t imagine getting it all reinstalled correctly.

edited March 2020
    Apparently old BMW V8s can have timing chain issues, later ones have valvetrain issues - I guess the I6 is their strength after all.

Does an E38 like the one I linked really bring anywhere near 20K today?

Here's a fun project car pic found on fb - showing MB used the same bolt pattern for decades:

I kind of enjoy Hoovie's info, but the fact that he sounds like Peter Brady as his voice changed is incredibly irritating.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@fintail No idea on pricing. But, only 51K miles on the one you linked..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Still, 20 grand for a car that while attractive, doesn't seem to have any special cachet. Maybe in another decade? But E32s aren't worth near that.
    fintail said:

Still, 20 grand for a car that while attractive, doesn't seem to have any special cachet. Maybe in another decade? But E32s aren't worth near that.

It's the trim-specific model.

Sort of like my old car.

Plus, it's a BMW dealer... :s

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I think that's it, dealer who spends too much time on BaT B)

I mean, I could see it at 10-15K, but I am no expert on those.
    kyfdx said:

It's the trim-specific model.

Sort of like my old car.

Plus, it's a BMW dealer... :s

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I love Hoovie. What's so refreshing is that with other people, after watching a video or reading an article, I'm inclined to think Ï Should Do That™ -- but after watching one of Tyler's missives, it's all There But For The Grace Of God...

I find him highly entertaining.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    I’ve watched most of Hoovie’s stuff.

WatchJRgo, Chrisfix, and detail geek are also all pretty good.

Don’t watch much stuff on TV so what these guys instead.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

The Eagle Eagle went for $6900. Not bad, but more than I'd like to pay.

I kinda like this. I think it would look better with a white or beige top.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/mount-laurel-1972-pontiac-lemans-sport/7100733543.html

I kinda like that one. Not the wheels though. And the steering wheel. Fix those 2 things and it would be OK. Though better with a 4 speed of course!

still convinced BaT is flooded with complete BS, shills, what have you. There is no way on green earth someone is willing to pay $11k for a DiscoII! https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-land-rover-discovery-35/

I'd think anything more than scrap value for most Discos would be suspect.

My friend with the 300CD texted me this morning and wanted to go on a drive. I was going to take the old dear out anyway, so why not. We went on the highway and some secondary/state highways a bit, a lot of 50-65 mph cruising. The car ran without a hiccup, I think it needed to get out and rack up some revs. Here we are out on the highway:

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    fintail said:

I'd think anything more than scrap value for most Discos would be suspect.

My friend with the 300CD texted me this morning and wanted to go on a drive. I was going to take the old dear out anyway, so why not. We went on the highway and some secondary/state highways a bit, a lot of 50-65 mph cruising. The car ran without a hiccup, I think it needed to get out and rack up some revs. Here we are out on the highway:

So what's the fastest you've taken the "old dear" up to on a long deserted stretch of straight highway?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited April 2020
    Back when I was young and fearless, I got it past an indicated 100. Speedometer is a little optimistic, so probably just under 100. Later that day a transmission cooling line broke, and the car was immobilized - 60 miles from home on a cold Saturday night. Thankfully, I was meeting friends there, and was able to coordinate the repair (still a bit of a PITA). The car taught me a lesson with that one.

Nowadays, it is happy to loaf along at 60-65, but much past 70 makes me feel like I am pushing it, so I refrain.
    andres3 said:

So what's the fastest you've taken the "old dear" up to on a long deserted stretch of straight highway?

fintail said:

Back when I was young and fearless, I got it past an indicated 100. Speedometer is a little optimistic, so probably just under 100. Later that day a transmission cooling line broke, and the car was immobilized - 60 miles from home on a cold Saturday night. Thankfully, I was meeting friends there, and was able to coordinate the repair (still a bit of a PITA). The car taught me a lesson with that one.

Nowadays, it is happy to loaf along at 60-65, but much past 70 makes me feel like I am pushing it, so I refrain.

andres3 said:

I remember with a friend (when we were young and dumb) he decided to show how reliable his 225,000 miled up old Accord was by taking it up to 115 MPH or so. The engine seemed fine, but the cars suspension, handling, and aerodynamics seemed and felt more suspect, and I wasn't even driving.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    My brother had an early 90s Accord in the early 2000s. Lost a timing belt and that was that. Replaced it with an immaculate 93 Legacy turbo that got stolen. He has bad luck sometimes.

Quick CL pre-2000 browse, cars are listed even in the Coronacrisis:

Welcome to the 90s

Cool but wrong venue, bud

Big

Welcome to Florida

Welcome to Joisey

Luxury Sports Coupe or something

Hen's tooth

When I was a kid, there was one of these in my small town, and I thought it was very stylish. Also, dear

210s can take mileage but get no credit

90s again

Few of these survived so clean

Guilty pleasure

Usually not a fan of these colors, but this just looks right

Maybe a good used car

Yachty

90s colors should come back

Autobahn

Storm by another name

Pretty sure you can't Uber in this

Cool but a hipster flip vibe

andres3 said:

I remember with a friend (when we were young and dumb) he decided to show how reliable his 225,000 miled up old Accord was by taking it up to 115 MPH or so. The engine seemed fine, but the cars suspension, handling, and aerodynamics seemed and felt more suspect, and I wasn't even driving.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    fintail said:

My brother had an early 90s Accord in the early 2000s. Lost a timing belt and that was that. Replaced it with an immaculate 93 Legacy turbo that got stolen. He has bad luck sometimes.

Quick CL pre-2000 browse, cars are listed even in the Coronacrisis:

Welcome to the 90s

Holy cow.... I LOVE that Navajo... and a manual tranny. What a find. Too bad that it is a two-door. Those things are a nightmare without the second set of doors.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I kinda like that blazer. Unique. I expect the hidden rust is bad though.

I liked the Aurora too. But that’s a whole lotta miles.

Navaho a stick? I like it! But I want a picture of either the 3 pedals or the shifter before I fully believe it.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    Mom had a 98 Aurora, similarly equipped with Autobahn, same color interior. It was a really nice car. It succumbed to the dreaded head gasket, stretched head bolt issue at 105k in 2013. Otherwise it had been fairly trouble free. It was replaced with a CPO 10 CR-V which felt like a downgrade and she has learned to like, especially since it is easy to get in and out of.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    K5 Blazer is kinda cool.... but condition is pretty iffy and price is just the seller saying, "my wife wants me to sell it, so I'm "trying" to sell it!" Hahah
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    My wife bought one of the first 4 door Explorers, Strawberry Red, V6 and 5 speed stick.
    Other than exhaust system rusting out early, very reliable over about 7 years.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Wow. Navajo 5 speed? The 4th interior pic you can just barely see 3 pedals and the shift boot.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    The Aurora pics don't match. One interior pic shows light beige carpet, steering wheel, dash pad and side mirror. Other pics show darker carpet, steering wheel dash pad and blue side mirror. Plus 190,000 miles and the engine pic is from wiki! Wir fahren, fahren, fahren auf der Autobahn.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    Those '92 Civics are only destroy-able by collision. Impressively good condition, I'd offer $3,500.
    I’d take the white over blue Town Car in a minute. Great year, great color combo. Same as I had on my 89

that Civic looks super clean for the age and miles. Probably hard to find these days unmodified.

tjc78 said:

I’d take the white over blue Town Car in a minute. Great year, great color combo. Same as I had on my 89

The cabrio top is unfortunate but a really nice car at a good price and low miles.

I can handle the cloth top up to 97. After that...not a fan

edited April 2020
    Took the project car out for an "essential" spin. So many people out today - Seattle closed its big parks, so I think everyone crossed the lake to my home turf, people on bikes and on foot and in the parks everywhere. The old car ran sweetly as normal, and received endless attention - got 2 comments at the gas station alone, thumbs up, a few random people had to come by and ask about it when parked - I think the 10 footer ideal was in effect today, but to be fair, it was looking good. No turn signals, but I think I can deal a few more months until it goes in for the yearly checkup and service.

Also thinking about getting a set of Coco mats , something I've thought about for years, as they were a popular period accessory. The grey #40 sisal mats are very close to the weave and color of the transmission tunnel carpet, I'd probably go that way. Apparently they also cut to order, I might get a piece for the rear parcel shelf cover too, as mine isn't awesome. In these uncertain weird times, it's nice to have something stable and consistent:

I'm not a fan of coco mats. I don't get the appeal, though I've never had a vehicle as old as yours.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Back in ‘86 I ordered a set (not from that company) for my MR2. They were OK and fit well but after a couple of years in service they were looking very tired and worn.

I just leave the all weather mats in year round now. On the new car the salesguy gave me a big discount (his employee rate) so I just bought them after we finished closing on the car. drove over into the service lane and they threw them in for me before I even left the dealership.

It's an old MB thing I guess, I see it in a lot of old cars. My car has rubber floors in front, and a very old (possibly original accessory) set of mats in the back in a similar sisal type material to the finer weave Coco mats.

They are kind of dear, but it might be a nice look, and protect the rubber floors, which aren't immune to age.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    We just leave the winter mats in all year long. They are good even when you go to the beach.
    The carpeted mats I got with my truck are so soft, I could never use them.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    fintail said:

Took the project car out for an "essential" spin....

If you're willing to say, around how much dollar-wise have you put into your fintail over the years? Beautiful car. Worth every dollar whatever the figure might be.
    That's a tough one. I won't count fuel or storage, only running costs. Insurance has been quite cheap. 25 years now, some years have been easy with only a couple hundred in expenses (servicing), other years have been a little painful (broken piston ring, kingpin replacement, new tires, etc). Average likely under 1K/yr, probably more like 600 year. Maybe 15K? I paid $1600 for it, so that doesn't add a lot. Not an investment, but the enjoyment provided by the car has been worth the expense.
    benjaminh said:

If you're willing to say, around how much dollar-wise have you put into your fintail over the years? Beautiful car. Worth every dollar whatever the figure might be.

fintail said:

That's a tough one. I won't count fuel or storage, only running costs. Insurance has been quite cheap. 25 years now, some years have been easy with only a couple hundred in expenses (servicing), other years have been a little painful (broken piston ring, kingpin replacement, new tires, etc). Average likely under 1K/yr, probably more like 600 year. Maybe 15K? I paid $1600 for it, so that doesn't add a lot. Not an investment, but the enjoyment provided by the car has been worth the expense.

benjaminh said:

Seems like really low operating expenses. Sounds like a bargain for a classic ride like that.