Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Nice. And sorry I've forgotten—what year is your car?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    64. Almost the end of the line for the 220SE, my serial number is in the last 10% of production. Later cars had upgrades like dual circuit discs, 4-speed auto option, etc.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I thought your fintail was a 4 speed auto but started out in 2 unless you floored it or manually shifted, like GMs old 4sp Hydramatic.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited April 2020
    That's right. 1st is a bit of a stump puller (I think that's the term) and you'll definitely feel the kickdown. You have to kick it down by flooring it, no manual selection. It automatically shifts into 4th before 30 mph.
    sda said:

I thought your fintail was a 4 speed auto but started out in 2 unless you floored it or manually shifted, like GMs old 4sp Hydramatic.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    That Expedition would be a fantastic deal for a flipper.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Volvo ad is quite amusing. I suspect as the checks reach all eligible parties, there'll be some demand increase in the sub-3K realm.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I think I'd just spend it on beer, if those were my choices. (I might actually be doing that)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I think I'd just spend it on beer, if those were my choices. (I might actually be doing that)

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer, come on now, sing with me..

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    sda said:

kyfdx said:

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer, come on now, sing with me..
    ..... 98 bottles of beer on the wall!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    ...take 1 down and pass it around, ElMoparo Chrysler 5th Avenue.
    $1600 OBO or trade. Doo Dah.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    If you bought that you’d be down to 50 bottles pretty quickly once you realize what you’ve done.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    The Elmoparo looks interesting from a distance. But those up close pictures are pretty scary. Sounds like a guy that did something half bagged after a night at the bar, then sobered up the next day. and wants out bad.

the Volvo looks interesting, for someone familiar with them, and can DIY what it needs. QBrozen say. But if you need to pay "the guy" for everything, that will become a real expensive $900 car real quick!

I also loved this line (probably a typo):

First 900$. takes it the price is a 100% non negotiable meaning it is pointless to text with anything less than 800$

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Acura could be an OK winter beater. Not that it is winter any longer. but cheap wheels, not too many miles, and ugly enough you can park it anywhere!

• gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,280
    fintail said:

Volvo ad is quite amusing. I suspect as the checks reach all eligible parties, there'll be some demand increase in the sub-3K realm.

"I am not a mechanic but seems to me all the repairs needed are minor"

Of course not
    The classic “AC just needs a recharge” line.

If the repairs were easy and cheap, he would have done them.

stickguy said:

The Elmoparo looks interesting from a distance. But those up close pictures are pretty scary. Sounds like a guy that did something half bagged after a night at the bar, then sobered up the next day. and wants out bad.

the Volvo looks interesting, for someone familiar with them, and can DIY what it needs. QBrozen say. But if you need to pay "the guy" for everything, that will become a real expensive $900 car real quick!

I also loved this line (probably a typo):

First 900$. takes it the price is a 100% non negotiable meaning it is pointless to text with anything less than 800$

I chucked at how he pivoted back and forth on the price
    omarman said:

...take 1 down and pass it around, ElMoparo Chrysler 5th Avenue.
    $1600 OBO or trade. Doo Dah.

On those close ups, I can't believe the B pillars are failing. You think he has addressed proper drainage in the bed? :)
    I would never drive that car in the rain. Solving that problem.

Scirocco.. "very clean". I don't think he knows what that means.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I would take that GTI. love it. Also oddly fond of the blue mustang. The navy SL is very pretty.

And that Vega might be fun. At 1/2 the price.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    One look under the hood of that Scirocco - YIKES! Imagine all the places critters have nested. Why disassemble the intake tract?? And with an AT, I'd pass, regardless.

That GTI - rough, but could be manageable. Much better use of time and money than the Scirocco. But it does look like the headliner is drooping on the rear shot. Too bad about the driver's fender respray and the crimped driver's door.
    Never seen red interior on Mercedes of that vintage.

Barge Marquis seems fair.

Continental kit on the Caddy is laughable.

I can’t place the Lumina wheels either and it’s driving me crazy! Lol.

I almost want to say Ford had a similar wheel to those on the Lumina, but they wouldn't easily bolt on, right? Maybe a 90s aftermarket item, they have that look too.
    stickguy said:

The classic “AC just needs a recharge” line.

If the repairs were easy and cheap, he would have done them.

Isn’t that the truth, or I haven’t had it looked at, right...

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,987

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

A 944 was on my list of younger days dream cars. Not likely I ever have one (or a 968) at this point. Sadly I think it is one of many ships that have sailed!

re: Lumina wheels, these are what I was thinking of, very similar:

From the first gen Explorer. Not sure if they are the same, or would work.
    Just saw a Guards Red 944 get fixed up last night on Salvage Hunters - the car I almost bought in '82-'83. Still a great looking car, IMO.
    texases said:

Just saw a Guards Red 944 get fixed up last night on Salvage Hunters - the car I almost bought in '82-'83. Still a great looking car, IMO.

I just watched the recorded episode, which is what made me look.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

edited April 2020
    The only thing that comes to mind with the thought of a red 944:

fintail said:

The only thing that comes to mind with the thought of a red 944:

With the (apparently expensive) Fuchs wheels.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

fintail said:

Yeah, different bolt pattern but certainly looks like what is on the Lumina.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    tjc78 said:

fintail said:

Yeah, different bolt pattern but certainly looks like what is on the Lumina.
    I wonder if they are the wheels of an early 90's Cavalier Z24? I had a '92 (what a POS) and the pattern looks familiar but I'd need to see them straight on to be sure.
    The Z24 wheels I find are like this, very similar but a split spoke style:

It also appears the Lumina Z34 and Euro used the same wheels. Maybe that blue car has something aftermarket. what a fun rabbit hole.

Ah yeah, I didn't catch the split spoke, man I hated that car. It's been too long to say for sure but I seem to remember when you removed the center cap it looked a lot like what's on that Lumina.
    fintail said:

The Z24 wheels I find are like this, very similar but a split spoke style:

You know, to be fair, I think 99.24% of "90s wheels" were very similar in that they all seem to be slight variants of the five-spoke style. We may have gone way off the deep end today, but at least there is variety out there now!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Flame Suit On

That Z24 especially in that color is really not a bad looking car.

Yep, directional spokes were a thing. Half the cars in my high school parking lot had Enkei or "Modern" (Les Schwab brand?) wheels, many with such spokes.

I like these wild goose chases, maybe as the 90s were long enough ago now that they bring up some nostalgia.
    xwesx said:

You know, to be fair, I think 99.24% of "90s wheels" were very similar in that they all seem to be slight variants of the five-spoke style. We may have gone way off the deep end today, but at least there is variety out there now!

I don't think that Z24 is terrible looking, either.

Anyone remember these Beretta Z26 wheels?

A friend of my mom had one of these, in kind of a teal color. The wheel design was always kind of cool to me in its period outrageous style, but IIRC my mom's friend was not pleased with that car.
    There's a long list of pretty-good-looking GM cars that weren't pretty good to own...
    Co-worker had a Nissan Pulsar (Gen II) that had directional wheels. And, separate wheels for left and right side, so they always pointed the same way.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

texases said:

There's a long list of pretty-good-looking GM cars that weren't pretty good to own...

There are many 90s GM's I really like

The Oldsmobile International series, Bonneville SSEi, Grand Prix GTP, and Regal GS to name a few.

Yeah, I have a set of those Moderns on my van. And, yes, Les Schwab (guilty!). At the time, I had the choice of steelies or those, with the price being about $20 different per tire, so I went with those. They look fine on the van, but I hate that they are directional per side. I ignore that and just try to make sure that the pair on each side is pointing the same direction, regardless of whether it is fanning or scooping (if that makes sense).
    edited April 2020
    Les Schwab was easily the biggest tire/wheel retailer in that small town, so everyone had or knew of someone who had their products. I remember the 66 Galaxie I drove as a new driver had Toyo tires bought there. I can't recall my mom shopping elsewhere for tires for a long time, decades.

I used to smirk at cars where the wheels fanned/scooped on the same side.
    tjc78 said:

Flame Suit On

That Z24 especially in that color is really not a bad looking car.

I actually liked the looks of the car for what it was. The problem was you actually had to sit in it and drive it.
    fintail said:

Les Schwab was easily the biggest tire/wheel retailer in that small town, so everyone had or knew of someone who had their products. I remember the 66 Galaxie I drove as a new driver had Toyo tires bought there. I can't recall my mom shopping elsewhere for tires for a long time, decades.

I used to smirk at cars where the wheels fanned/scooped on the same side.

While somewhat on the topic of directionality, I sometimes come across folks with directional winter tires who have them on the car pointing the wrong way. Most don't even realize it, but there is a significant traction penalty if going in the reverse direction of the tires. One Durango SRT that I came across this winter had the front tires pointed the correct direction, but the rears were not.

I was just casually passing by, but it immediately caught my eye. The owner was just getting out of the car, so I mentioned it to him. He was completely surprised, but agreed with me upon inspection that the rears were clearly backward. He noted that if the car lost traction, it tended to be in the rear. he just figured it was because of the AWD bias (maybe it was?), but said that he just had them installed at Costco earlier in the winter, so he would make a point to go back and have them swapped.

I honestly don't know how a tech could miss something that obvious... especially with the car on a lift! /sigh
    I had new tires put on the Fit at the Firestone store in November. Quick walk around, and sure enough, one tire was on backwards.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator