Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    This is really, really nice. Gorgeous, loaded, fast and the right number of pedals. Must be quite rare.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3OY5kLez/2016-audi-s4

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    stickguy said:

This is really, really nice. Gorgeous, loaded, fast and the right number of pedals. Must be quite rare.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3OY5kLez/2016-audi-s4

And just up the road from @andres3

I wouldn't mind having it, either.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    I thought of him. Could replace his A4 and TTS in one package!

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    corvette said:

The giant tree in my back yard lost a large limb Friday night. It barely missed hitting the electric line. I'm going to see about having it cut down.

You are going to have the tree or the electric line cut down? ;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Might be cheaper to get rid of the lines.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    @stickguy
    Nice base model Panther! I’m sure he won’t keep it long!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

Has @roadburner bought an M3 yet?

My service advisor is looking into the car. I don’t want to start any negotiations until I’m confident the car is a good bet.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    nyccarguy said:

This is my customer’s 2011 Mini Cooper S Clubman. These are tough little cars for sure.

Heartbreaking. Although, that would offer the opportunity to head on over to the new car dealerships. He could drive his Mini to the dealership, as is, and claim it runs great. Then ask for a trade-in number.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Just noticed on those MINI pix - my daughter has the same Union Jack mirror covers, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Had to up my bid to 4200 on the Jag. 2 hrs left, so I’m sure the usual flurry at the end will overtake me, but that’s it for me, I’m all in.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Wonder if reserve is met yet?

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited August 2020
    That B8 S4 is the model you want with the best dual clutch transmission I've ever driven, the 7-speed unit. Turns it from a slow 5+ second car into a fast sub 5 second car :open_mouth:

Boring silver, but otherwise good specs!!! Even doesn't have an all black (boring/ugly) interior.

I may have to throw a bid (love the low miles).... doubt I'll win as I do prefer the quicker DSG, especially on this model.

I could see getting a manual in say... the R8.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Okay, couldn't resist, threw out a dumb bid, but then I saw "RESERVE" and it dampened my "win the lotto" shot in the dark mood:

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Before I could even get a Carvana quote, I was outbid :( already!

For the A4.... the TTS ain't going nowhere! Keeping that sucker. Unless a TTRS or R8 or 911 is going to replace it.
  • Options
    I do feel like I'd get an extra punch on my man card for buying a 6-speed manual in 2020..... My street cred would go up a notch.
  • Options
    The 6 speed is more than fast enough. And way more fun to drive.. I wouldn’t be beating up either trans doing drag race starts.

• Options
    This looks like a fun car. Best color combo too. Would need to add a BU cam though. Put Driver on that job. Otherwise has lots of good stuff. Still under COO too, however long that is.

https://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/used/BMW/2015-BMW-3+Series-cherry-hill-nj-7f95da0f0a0d0c143c549085b84d5e3f.htm

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    nyccarguy said:

This tree fell across the road onto my next door neighbor’s property.

Close one! It chose a good direction to fall, though it looks like it did come to rest on power lines. Maybe I'm not seeing it correctly.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    qbrozen said:

Had to up my bid to 4200 on the Jag. 2 hrs left, so I’m sure the usual flurry at the end will overtake me, but that’s it for me, I’m all in.

That’s what you said at $3750. But not to worry, it failed reserve at $4700 so you may have another chance later.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Greedy seller

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    So about the wagon itch... at the risk of sounding like sandman...

Just observed that my RDX isn't really any taller than an Outback. Actually the published height of the Outback is a half inch taller, but that includes the roof rails vs bare metal on the RDX.

Bachman VW has no viable Alltracks but they do have a '18 Regal TourX...

Their sister Chevy dealer has a 2015.5 V60 R-Design

And then there's something that's not really a wagon, definitely fits the height bill, and probably more fun than anything we've talked about, but does it have the cargo footprint? A '17 QX50. Hrm...

How's that for a rabbit hole?
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    That S4 is such a great all around car. Pretty much identical to my 2016 other than colors (mine was white with black interior). Mine also had the black optic package - I prefer those wheels over any other options available at the time.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    xwesx said:

nyccarguy said:

This tree fell across the road onto my next door neighbor’s property.

Close one! It chose a good direction to fall, though it looks like it did come to rest on power lines. Maybe I'm not seeing it correctly.

You are correct. The tree is resting on the power lines. Still there enjoying a beautiful day!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The Buick is European in origin so I could certainly tolerate it. I’d would worry about long term parts availability since Buick is joining the herd and eliminating everything that remotely resembles a passenger car.
    Bachman was the VW dealership that lost the sale of a GTI in 2007 because the sales guy acted as if ordering a car to my specs had a difficulty level akin to achieving cold fusion; this was the same guy who insisted that the GTI had Brembo brakes because the calipers were painted red.
    One of the guys there used to work at BMW so if VW ever builds something I want I’ll talk to him.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    gotta get the Coronet back together to make room.

how is the ML doing? does it work?

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    edited August 2020
    ML works. Just can’t register it. Well, I CAN, but haven’t had time to spend all day in the MVC line. I cleared all the codes and no warning lights have returned since. I may have an oil leak, though. Not sure if I mentioned that before. When I came back from driving in the rain last time out, I noticed a series of small rainbow puddles along the driveway. Looked under and see dripping from front crossmember behind oil pan. I put some cardboard down. The next day, I checked and saw oil on the cardboard. Left it under since then and not seeing anything new collecting. So could be it was just filth being washed off by the rain or it could be more serious.

Got the Charger back Monday eve. Drives way better now. I have not analyzed the bill yet. Will post when I get a chance. Prob later tonight.

Coronet still sits. Other projects taking priority. Since we have no internet, I couldn’t work today, so I took advantage and got a lot done on my deck project. All old wood is off and I am about 20% done installing the Trex. New grill also arrived yesterday, so that will need to be assembled atop the new deck. My back is very angry with me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:

She said “well what car would you have given up?” I avoided the question. She just doesn’t get it. What’s wrong with having a fleet.

I don't want to break it to you too harshly, Q..... You already have one. ;)

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

My back is very angry with me.

At our age, that is called a good day's work! And, depending on how angry it is, it might even be called a good week's work. :D

• Options
    edited August 2020
    qbrozen said:

”I avoided the question. She just doesn’t get it. What’s wrong with having a fleet.

Precisely!

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

That’s what you said at $3750. But not to worry, it failed reserve at $4700 so you may have another chance later.
    I think I said I wasn’t sure at 3750. I ran the numbers and, with $225 fee and $1500 shipping, I would be safe at $4200 to come in under $6k. Seller probably wants that much, if not more, but I can’t do that AND pay fees and shipping. Oh well. I told wife after it was over what I had done. She was glad I lost. She said “well what car would you have given up?” I avoided the question. She just doesn’t get it. What’s wrong with having a fleet.
    My wife was giving me grief for having 3 vehicles and said we needed to get rid of one. She was not humored when I suggested that we get rid of her vehicle...
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    I'm surprised I'm not hearing more about having 4 cars.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    qbrozen said:

So could be it was just filth being washed off by the rain or it could be more serious.

Ah, yes, I can recall having that same "hope" with the 540i I had. :p
  • Options
    I miss having a third around, but it’s certainly not needed at all.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    This sled would make a nice addition for me. That aftermarket head unit would have to go especially since it has the very rare factory CD player. I’d also swap turbines or lacy spokes and ditch the wire wheels and inappropriate 98-02 chrome wheels.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lincoln/town-car/2408259.html#&gid=1&pid=74

• Options
    at this point I can barely keep the 2 we have exercised enough. 3 would really be a waste now. Not that I wouldn't still like one!

my biggest issue is that I can't park one out of the way without being in the road, and I don't really have a good road to park on by my house. So I have to put a 3rd car in front of the garage, and I hate having to jockey cars around. I really need a place with a 3rd parking spot (even if not a garage bay).

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I can fit three in the driveway easily and three in front of the house. So in essence I’m three short (counting the RAV4 I must endure at my house) lol

Speaking of that... I drove it the other day. It’s so head and shoulders above the old model. I can’t say I like it but certainly see why they are darn near everywhere

• Options
    I can fit 6 off the road. but that is in 2 rows so defeats the purpose

• Options
    stickguy said:

at this point I can barely keep the 2 we have exercised enough. 3 would really be a waste now. Not that I wouldn't still like one!

I don't think I've driven the G37 in over a month. Did a little experiment with it and unplugged the battery maintainer prior to my trip 3+ weeks ago. Left it unplugged. The battery was reading right at 12v, or roughly 40-50% charged, at that time, and it started right up. When I reconnected the battery maintainer, it took about two days to bring the battery back up to 100%. So, I'm guessing a month unplugged is about the most it would go without needing to be charged or jumped.
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

I can fit three in the driveway easily and three in front of the house. So in essence I’m three short (counting the RAV4 I must endure at my house) lol

Speaking of that... I drove it the other day. It’s so head and shoulders above the old model. I can’t say I like it but certainly see why they are darn near everywhere

I haven't driven the current CR-V or RAV, but I'd imagine that the turbo engine in the Honda is more versatile than the Toyota.
  • Options
    I would sell my car tomorrow if I could, and just live with one until we actually have some need for a spare. would not have been any issue for the last 5 months having 1.

• Options
    I'd love to pick up a third car, just for fun, but don't really need it.

Things are going just fine with the two we have in the household.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I can probably count on one hand the times that my wife has gone somewhere while I have been at the office since the pandemic started. The vast majority of miles on the Jetta have been me driving it to work.. not quite 1400 miles since late February. At this rate, it'll be another 7 years before it hits 100K... and just over 2 years before we get to 100K on the RDX. (assuming I don't trade it, and now I'm pretty sure I wouldn't move to an Outback)

She's said she'll drive the Jetta "until the wheels are falling off" but I think she will be tired of it long before that. I drove the V70 until it was a crapshoot whether the tailgate would open (with struts, PCV, and rear brakes just around the corner).
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    Our driveway is long enough to be able to park a car near the end and still have room to maneuver around so it's not an issue for us to have 3 at the house. The truck currently gets the driveway the TLX one garage spot and the other 2 split time in the other. Still undecided whether to store the BMW for the winter or just driven on clear days.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    We don't have room for a 3rd unless I knock out a fence and either extend the driveway and/or put in a detached garage. Then again, we barely need the 2nd car anymore, as her job has gone to permanent telework (except for oddball meetings, and who knows when their virtual orientations will be in person again?).
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    pensfan83 said:

I'm surprised I'm not hearing more about having 4 cars.

My wife doesn’t mind my 4 cars as long as one of them is easy for her to get into and is available for me to drive her around in.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

Our driveway is long enough to be able to park a car near the end and still have room to maneuver around so it's not an issue for us to have 3 at the house. The truck currently gets the driveway the TLX one garage spot and the other 2 split time in the other. Still undecided whether to store the BMW for the winter or just driven on clear days.

For me, to drive/not drive depends on salt. My two summer cars don’t go out when there’s still residue on the road.

How much road salt do they use in your area?