Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,493
    I just saw an older car wizard video where he talked about the GM 3800. Called it the best engine ever I believe. definitely easy to work on, compared to a modern design!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Speaking of Car Wizard, he recently got in a nice driver quality Pagoda SL:

https://youtu.be/RNHl7o1tmwQ

Interesting, as this car has effectively the same engine (M127) as my fintail, and shares many bits along with the engine - the swing axle, the uniquely hinged chrome air vents and similar trim pieces, etc. My car even has the same Becker Europa TR radio.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    On the topic of engines, probably the most disappointing was an early 90's 4Runner V6 from Toyota. It was reliable and not only bullet proof, but bazooka proof, but still a dud..

The 5-speed manual was buttery smooth though.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Didn't some Toyota 6cyl of that era have head gasket issues? Or was that an I6? Even Toyolex can have an Achilles heel here and there.

Back in the day, I knew a guy with an early 90s 4x4 V6 pickup, I think it had required some work.
    Bidding on the 41K mile Regal GS is up to $2600 with a couple hours left.
    too rich for my blood!

Ending price, $2951.

I still think of that estate sale pristine loaded 04 Grand Marquis from back in the spring, probably could have got it for $4500 - it was really immaculate and definitely worth that.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,784
    The miles on this blew me away.... It actually looks very good when one considers those!

https://fairbanks.craigslist.org/cto/d/fairbanks-toyota-sienna-xle-2005/7174091159.html
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    looks amazing for that many miles, especially up there. Even the driver's seat.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    edited August 2020
    Someone loved that van. Very clean.

I’d wager it never had kids in it.

No matter how hard I try I’m always cleaning something in our Enclave. It’s particularly fun using a crevice tool and a screwdriver to get junk out of the tracks for the seats.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    It's 1 owner since new so wonder how old those pics are? I can't make out the exp date sticker on the plate. No pic of the dash/odometer. The interior looks as nice as any similar van with half the miles. So maybe that's when the pics were taken? :smile:
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    An old co-worker had a Nissan Quest of the same year. She ditched it about 2 years ago (original owner) at around 200K, and even in this mild climate, it looked like it was dredged from the bottom of a lake compared to that Sienna. I'd wager the Sienna is a mature owner who never hauled devilspawn/sod etc in it.
    tjc78 said:

No matter how hard I try I’m always cleaning something in our Enclave. It’s particularly fun using a crevice tool and a screwdriver to get junk out of the tracks for the seats.

I know; it's disgusting! I honestly have no idea how kids are so nasty. My father would have skinned us alive if we were like that. I remember a few irate times when we carried sand on us from the beach in to the car. But, he didn't get mad so much as got even. I vacuumed and scrubbed his cars more times than I care to remember....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited August 2020
    omarman said:

It's 1 owner since new so wonder how old those pics are? I can't make out the exp date sticker on the plate. No pic of the dash/odometer. The interior looks as nice as any similar van with half the miles. So maybe that's when the pics were taken? :smile:

Hey, that's a fair point. Based on the melting snow in the surroundings, I will guess that they were taken in April of this year. It has 2021 tags on it, so the earliest it could be is from April of 2019.

Anyhow, I sent a copy of the link to a young lady who is currently using my 2008 Forester. She takes very good care of my car, so this might be a perfect fit for her, plus the price is actually quite reasonable (according to the price guides).
    xwesx said:

tjc78 said:

I know; it's disgusting! I honestly have no idea how kids are so nasty. My father would have skinned us alive if we were like that. I remember a few irate times when we carried sand on us from the beach in to the car. But, he didn't get mad so much as got even. I vacuumed and scrubbed his cars more times than I care to remember....
    Mine really aren’t too bad. I’m just a little crazy about the cars.

We go to the beach nearly every weekend so my Sunday ritual when getting back to the house is to vacuum out the interior.

I don’t care how careful you are, there will always be some sand.

Had the old dear out today - fuel pump seems loud again, guess I am going to have to call my mechanic soon. Otherwise, ran fine - I set the idle speed faster by a minuscule amount, probably like 25rpm, which makes all kinds of difference - makes everything smoother, I think I had it set a tad slow. And when the weather gets cold, I'll have to adjust it just a little again. Had a few people come up to me with questions or compliments, and a fun thing, I visited a friend and his 90 year old grandfather, who bought a 190 Ponton new in 1959, and my friend thought he'd get a kick out of the fintail. The old guy showed up with a pile of original promo material, including the price of his car ($3559, IIRC). Looked good in the hazy sunshine today:

And a shot of the Coco mats material I had made for the rear shelf area - looks a lot better than the cheap completely incorrect vinyl I had there before:

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,701
    That’s about $32,000 in 2020 dollars, sounds about right.
    edited August 2020
    Back then most MBs were just quality cars rather than fancy cars, and weren't wildly expensive. I think my fintail was in the low 5K range when new.

My friend's grandpa had a couple fun tales - he lived in Dallas at the time, and as AC was a dealer installed item, had one installed at purchase. He said it was not an ideal system, and the car also had a stint where it ate generators. He was also amused that he sold it 25 years later for $59 less than he paid for it.
    Saw this elsewhere, thought it was amusing (ad is apparently gone now):

man I would like some more pictures of that beast.

That’s a first

I’m speechless.

Wow. That thing takes Ugly to a whole new level!
    I'll take two

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,924
    I'm guessing that, when new, it was on the same lot as the Wagon Queen Family Truckster

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited September 2020
    I mended something (gratuitous pic from yesterday):

My turn signals had been blinking at different rates per side since they were "fixed", so I decided to dig a little. I first switched the blinker unit with a spare, no difference. I then noticed that one side wouldn't blink at all if the parking lights were on - so I suspected a defective or incorrect bulb. I inspected the bulbs and all appeared OK. I then played a game of guess and check, and figured it out. If the bulbs aren't aligned just-so, weird things happen. I learned that if they are aligned really wrong, the blinkers act like hazards (which this car, due to its age, doesn't have). So I re-installed them properly, and now have turn signs that blink right and left at the same rate
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    It’s always a pleasant surprise when a fix is so simple and satisfying that you fixed it not someone you had to pay to do so.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I feel victorious when I can fix anything on my own B)
    Scotty would be so proud of you!

It's a MB, he'd whine about it :)
    Someone I know on another forum, who lives in Oregon, is being evacuated due to the fires that seem to be everywhere right now. He wasn't going to leave his old dear behind:

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    His wife, on the other hand....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Priorities!

Ah should have put this on the postwar Stude page.
    Here's a goodie for sale, highline fintail with the rare busy upholstery option

Exchange rate is a little over 30K USD, in Europe, a fair asking price for one of these cars.
    cool interior

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm mystified by the latch mechanism in the roof in one of the later photos. I figured there was manual sunroof but there clearly isn't. What is behind the cover??
    fintail said:

Here's a goodie for sale, highline fintail with the rare busy upholstery option

Exchange rate is a little over 30K USD, in Europe, a fair asking price for one of these cars.

What is the mileage.... 73,000 kilometers? Is that what I'm reading?
    That's a sunroof latch, as far as I know, it might not show up in the low res pics the owner has so generously provided for the ad.

To operate the sunroof, you pull down the handle, rotate it, and slide the roof back.
    steine13 said:

I'm mystified by the latch mechanism in the roof in one of the later photos. I figured there was manual sunroof but there clearly isn't. What is behind the cover??

Yep, per the owner anyway. Of course, these are 5 digit odometer cars. However, by the state of preservation of the interior, I don't doubt the claim - I am pretty sure that fabric is not being reproduced today.
    xwesx said:

What is the mileage.... 73,000 kilometers? Is that what I'm reading?

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    1985 944 Porsche looks like a well kept non-turbo with 119K miles. Well kept 944 Turbo is a different story and the market still loves/respects them.

1984 Ford Mustang SVO. Speaking of turbo power... Car was sold on BaT last July for $15K and is now for sale at Krieger's used car lot on Morse Rd for $21K ask price.

2011 BMW 328i Convertible. Low miles, automatic, salvage title and seller ask is $12,300.

Seller's ad: 1976 Chevrolet Other. It actually looks like the '77 Nova Rally below which replaced the discontinued '76 Nova SS.

Seller's description: "76nova 350engine headers 4barrel hatchback automatic nice car." Also states "Driven 840 miles" Not enough pics but still could be my favorite thing that I wasn't looking for on FB today. :)
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    edited September 2020
    I like that nova. Just needs a manual trans!

Of course, I always wanted a Ventura based GTO too.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,924
    The Nova is a sibling to the Omega/Ventura I had briefly in college, though the Nova is in much nicer condition.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Pure Michigan!

https://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/d/mason-project-jeep/7196112257.html

CL ads are annoying since they disappear fairly quickly, so for posterity's sake, here's the pitch text for this rust bucket:

"976 Jeep Wagoneer. This is a great project jeep for the right person. The floor boards have rusted out and need to be replaced. Engine ran great until 2 years ago but hasn't been started since. Most likely a bad fuel pump. With Jeep re-releasing the Wagoneer in 2021 this will be a collector's car."
    @steine13 It is already collectible. Releasing a new one won't matter.

Someone could probably put $50K into it, and have a $75K car.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

That might crumble into dust if you try and take it apart.

No interest in the Jeep, but I would love the garages that guy has!

Too bad that Wagoneer is so far gone, they seem fairly rare pre-80s.

50K investment for 75K return is pretty awesome in the car world, I bet.
    fintail said:

Too bad that Wagoneer is so far gone, they seem fairly rare pre-80s.

50K investment for 75K return is pretty awesome in the car world, I bet.

I was assuming a shop would take this on for themselves. I doubt a buyer could pull that off

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

So 125K for a buyer to get 75K? Sounds about right.
    kyfdx said:

I was assuming a shop would take this on for themselves. I doubt a buyer could pull that off