Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    edited September 2020
    Apparently in Wikipedia there is also Zyzzyzus, which should make IT last word... Also a genus, but of marine life. Type of a sponge.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    fintail said:

Yeah, that's the problem - sell into a hot market means you're buying into a hot market, and that market seems to have expanded to much of the state, especially with these low rates. Not sure where one can find a deal anymore...Aberdeen? Yakima? Walla Walla? It's to the point where I am convinced anything in even a slightly sought after neighborhood in my immediate area, listed under 900K or so, is just an underpricing ploy meant to invoke a bidding war.

Your friends make me think of a friend's parents. They bought a house in Kirkland in 1985. Nice area, west of Market a block or two from the lake. House was brand new, 125K all-in. Zillows around 1.6MM today (and would probably be razed and replaced by a lame mcmodern box if it sold today). There's definitely a lot of money flowing here, both tech gold and sketchy offshore stuff.

Those parents also whined to my friend when they complained about the commute (my friend lives in Bothell), something like "if you managed your money better, you could afford to live closer", maybe stereotypically not comprehending the relationship between wages and housing costs that has devolved here over the past 20 or so years locally.

We live in the South Lake Sammamish area and houses like ours are going for BIG bucks. We are think about selling downsizing but the old houses like this one are selling for close to what ours is worth. We have friends who sold their waterfront house a few blocks from us and moved to Arizona. They bought it new in 1979 for 220,000. A few years ago they totally remodeled it at great expense. It immediatly sold for 2.6 million dollars and they buyers totally GUTTED it and remodeled it again! People mush have a lot of money!

I have thought about selling my condo - had a realtor over last week and he said my unit should be listed at $159,990 which is what an identical unit sold for in an older building. Even though my condo needs updating, because it's located a block from our theatre and the country club, it would sell in a week or two. Most out of state buyers update the condos in my community anyway - new flooring, new kitchen, new bathrooms, etc.

But even though I would walk away with $150,000, where am I going to live here in Florida for $516 a month (HOA monthly fee)? Nowhere! I would need a $100,000 mortgage in a new place. So I decided to live out my life here. If I have to put in two new bathrooms 🚽 an a new kitchen and redo the flooring ($25,000 - $30,000) it would be more economical to remain here. Let the kids sell it after I am gone.

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    abacomike said:

fintail said:

Yeah, that's the problem - sell into a hot market means you're buying into a hot market, and that market seems to have expanded to much of the state, especially with these low rates. Not sure where one can find a deal anymore...Aberdeen? Yakima? Walla Walla? It's to the point where I am convinced anything in even a slightly sought after neighborhood in my immediate area, listed under 900K or so, is just an underpricing ploy meant to invoke a bidding war.

Your friends make me think of a friend's parents. They bought a house in Kirkland in 1985. Nice area, west of Market a block or two from the lake. House was brand new, 125K all-in. Zillows around 1.6MM today (and would probably be razed and replaced by a lame mcmodern box if it sold today). There's definitely a lot of money flowing here, both tech gold and sketchy offshore stuff.

Those parents also whined to my friend when they complained about the commute (my friend lives in Bothell), something like "if you managed your money better, you could afford to live closer", maybe stereotypically not comprehending the relationship between wages and housing costs that has devolved here over the past 20 or so years locally.

We live in the South Lake Sammamish area and houses like ours are going for BIG bucks. We are think about selling downsizing but the old houses like this one are selling for close to what ours is worth. We have friends who sold their waterfront house a few blocks from us and moved to Arizona. They bought it new in 1979 for 220,000. A few years ago they totally remodeled it at great expense. It immediatly sold for 2.6 million dollars and they buyers totally GUTTED it and remodeled it again! People mush have a lot of money!

I have thought about selling my condo - had a realtor over last week and he said my unit should be listed at $159,990 which is what an identical unit sold for in an older building. Even though my condo needs updating, because it's located a block from our theatre and the country club, it would sell in a week or two. Most out of state buyers update the condos in my community anyway - new flooring, new kitchen, new bathrooms, etc.

But even though I would walk away with $150,000, where am I going to live here in Florida for $516 a month (HOA monthly fee)? Nowhere! I would need a $100,000 mortgage in a new place. So I decided to live out my life here. If I have to put in two new bathrooms 🚽 an a new kitchen and redo the flooring ($25,000 - $30,000) it would be more economical to remain here. Let the kids sell it after I am gone.
    Why the kids? I can do it for you. :D

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited September 2020
    Newsflash!!! Late Breaking News.

Audi is coming out with a new Paint color!

They are calling it "50 Shades of Gray"

It's not a copyright infringement, as it really is the 50th shade of gray currently available in their lineup.

:):) :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Sounds reasonable, simple living - maybe the way it should be at a certain point. I understand why older people move into senior mobile home parks or retirement communities. Most of them in this area are serene, modern (if not brand new) so they will need little maintenance, you can spend your time on other things. My mom has a crony who has gone that route, and I have dropped hints she should look into it (no dice so far, she has too much stuff).

Back when I lived in a condo, the HOA was only like $150, this was in the early 00s and the association had plenty in reserve. Many I see locally are as much or more than yours, not sure where some of the money goes as they aren't fancy buildings.
    abacomike said:

andres3 said:

Newsflash!!! Late Breaking News.

Audi is coming out with a new Paint color!

They are calling it "50 Shades of Gray"

It's not a copyright infringement, as it really is the 50th shade of gray currently available in their lineup.

:):) :smile:

I’ll bet I have one of those shades. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    A little late to the party, but congrats on all the "new" in your life, TJC!

And, speaking of new houses, does anyone have any experience/anecdotes regarding Toll Brothers? One possible builder in the area we're currently looking.

Thanks!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    Our car/home insurance is coming up in mid October. Spent 3 hours on the phone - do you know how draining that is....but, it will save us $1500.....$4000 compared to $5500.
    I noticed it seems to be common policy (at least in Canada these days), to have a clause they slide in that says someone has to check the house every 3 days if you are away. Not sure if that is standard and happening in the U.S., but, I bet most people don't know about that clause. We don't have time but I am going to see before next October if any companies don't have that requirement.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Zyzzyva

There I had the last word as it is the last word in the dictionary. Now on to something else.

Well done;
    Zyzzyva is a genus of tropical American weevils often found in association with palms. It is a snouted beetle. "Zyzzyva" is the last word in many English-language dictionaries. The yellowish weevil is no longer than an ant. It was first discovered in 1922 in Brazil, and named by Thomas Lincoln Casey, Jr.

Had to check it out....never heard of it before.
    Looks wise, I’ll bet you’d give it a run for the money when you wear that infamous striped shirt. B)

jmonroe

I am glad to be able to educate some people :)
    The striped shirt should go the way of "the buffing it out" remarks. :o

driver100 said:

Our car/home insurance is coming up in mid October. Spent 3 hours on the phone - do you know how draining that is....but, it will save us $1500.....$4000 compared to $5500.
    I noticed it seems to be common policy (at least in Canada these days), to have a clause they slide in that says someone has to check the house every 3 days if you are away. Not sure if that is standard and happening in the U.S., but, I bet most people don't know about that clause. We don't have time but I am going to see before next October if any companies don't have that requirement.

Check it for what?

jmonroe

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Zyzzyva

There I had the last word as it is the last word in the dictionary. Now on to something else.

Well done;
    Zyzzyva is a genus of tropical American weevils often found in association with palms. It is a snouted beetle. "Zyzzyva" is the last word in many English-language dictionaries. The yellowish weevil is no longer than an ant. It was first discovered in 1922 in Brazil, and named by Thomas Lincoln Casey, Jr.

Looks wise, I’ll bet you’d give it a run for the money when you wear that infamous striped shirt. B)

jmonroe

I'll agree if we could replace them with "Buffing it out with a striped shirt."

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited September 2020
    The Clubman appears to be running better than ever. Finally sorting the upstream O2 sensor issue even boosted the fuel economy and performance a bit- I’m averaging around 38 mpg, and it seems happier cruising at 90+.
    As it happens I was on another board discussing entertaining cars and I mentioned that even though the Clubman was glacially slow it would still cruise at 90 or better and could take most corners at double the posted speed. A charter member of the Safety [non-permissible content removed] posted that I should have my license taken away and burned in front of me.
    When reading his post I could almost swear that I could hear the heels of his jackboots sharply clicking together. The rest of us opined that he must be a lot of fun at parties and I advised him that he probably needed to go yell at some kids on his lawn.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    edited September 2020

The Clubman appears to be running better than ever. Finally sorting the upstream O2 sensor issue even boosted the fuel economy and performance a bit- I’m averaging around 38 mpg, and it seems happier cruising at 90+.
    As it happens I was on another board discussing entertaining cars and I mentioned that even though the Clubman was glacially slow it would still cruise at 90 or better and could take most corners at double the posted speed. A charter member of the Safety [non-permissible content removed] posted that I should have my license taken away and burned in front of me.
    When reading his post I could almost swear that I could hear the heels of his jackboots sharply clicking together. The rest of us opined that he must be a lot of fun at parties and I advised him that he probably needed to go yell at some kids on his lawn.

If you were to get pulled over by Kentucky's finest while doing 90+, would you pull out your Commonwealth Attorneys ID card and expect to get professional courtesy, or would you suck it up and pay the fine like the other 99% of the population?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

In other car-related news, I was talking to my SA recently, and he told me that he thinks that it's possible that the gasket leaks many BMWs and Minis experience north of 75k miles could be caused by a difference in the formulation of US spec BMW Longlife oils compared to their European counterparts. Just speculation, there's no way of knowing short of a comprehensive oil analysis.
    In any event, he believes that adding Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver might help prevent gaskets from hardening and leaking- and before you ask, no, my dealer does not sell Liqui Moly products. Anyway, my SA noed that he had dropped some used N62 valve seals in a glass of Motor Oil Saver and after a few days they became as pliant as new seals.
    So, I've decided to see how the product works in the Club Sport and the Clubman. The Club Sport has a slight oil seep at the front oil seal and the Cooper is all dry for now. It's inexpensive at $7.68 a can delivered from FCP Euro. Both cars get annual oil changes so we will see what happens.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    I have a bottle of oil saver to put in after my next oil change on the ZHP. Figure it can’t hurt anything.

I’m also switching to Liqui Moly oil for the next change. May send the old stuff off to Blackstone. Haven’t decided yet.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I know this isn’t much of a milestone, but I happen to see the odo roll with “000” with more frequency. Just never noticed that much before. No runs, drips or errors...

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    edited September 2020
    Was looking for info on the new Nissan Z yesterday and came across this. I don’t get it. It looks terribly broken and certainly has to drive like excrement......

Someone spent a lot of money to make a nice car look and driver worse......

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Check it for what?

jmonroe

The agent said someone gives a quick look to check for water damage, see if thieves have been in....things like that so that it doesn't get worse after a few weeks. I get the feeling it is a way to weasel out of paying if there is a large fire or something.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Check it for what?

jmonroe

The agent said someone gives a quick look to check for water damage, see if thieves have been in....things like that so that it doesn't get worse after a few weeks. I get the feeling it is a way to weasel out of paying if there is a large fire or something.
    Sorry nothing personal snake.....hope I am not PI! :s

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Check it for what?

jmonroe

And just how does either side prove it was or wasn’t checked?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Insurance compact defaults to denied, it wasn’t checked. And makes you prove otherwise, so probably convincing someone you know to commit insurance fraud. If you can’t, you lose.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited September 2020
    Michaell said:

If you were to get pulled over by Kentucky's finest while doing 90+, would you pull out your Commonwealth Attorneys ID card and expect to get professional courtesy, or would you suck it up and pay the fine like the other 99% of the population?
    I don’t even carry my Commonwealth’s Attorney ID with me unless I’m going to another court or to the State Capitol- and that’s only because it allows me to skip standing in line for the metal detector.
    I rely on situational awareness to avoid being pulled over in the first place. For example, when I was hitting 90+ I was in the right lane of an interstate in broad daylight where cars were passing me on a continual basis. I wasn’t driving that speed just to be doing it- I was literally keeping up with traffic.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Zyzzyva

Well done;

jmonroe

Why?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Check it for what?

jmonroe

Sorry nothing personal snake.....hope I am not PI! :s

No offense taken, how do do you think I got the nickname?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited September 2020

Was looking for info on the new Nissan Z yesterday and came across this. I don’t get it. It looks terribly broken and certainly has to drive like excrement......

There were some brain-dead imbeciles on a Mazda list I used to follow who thought the “stanced” look was so cool. Again, making the car look horrible and be virtually undriveable.
    So I started the “You Might be a Stance Ricer” list. Two I remember posting are:

If your inner sidewall lettering double as wear bars, you might be a Stance Ricer.

and

If your degrees of negative camber are higher than your IQ, you might be a Stance Ricer.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Maybe I can do that to my Cobalt to make it look more "in with the 'in crowd'"?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    edited September 2020

This stanced Prelude hit a tree or a telephone pole. I witnessed the aftermath.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

They do it to BMWs as well. When someone posts a Bimmer defaced in that manner my response is always:
    “Kill it! Kill it with fire!”

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Check it for what?

jmonroe

Since I’ve owned my first house I have ALWAYS turned off the water and relieved the pressure when I was going to be out of the house for more than a day. It’s very easy to do. Don’t worry, if you forget to turn it on when you get home you’ll be reminded pretty quickly. When you think about it, it’s pretty fool prove. The last thing I want to see when I get home from vacation is water running out from under my garage door. I’ve mentioned this before and I’m sure you guys have laughed but I have trained Mrs. j to turn off the water supply to the washing machine and bleed off the pressure after every use and to double check it before going to bed. Yes, I am paranoid about things like this. Kinda like checking lug nuts when I take my car to a shop and they work anywhere near my wheels.

This won’t help with breakins but it never hurts to do what you have control of.

I’m not surprised that insurance companies have gone to sneaking in language on their policies. Insurance companies always want it their way. Just ask @andres3.

jmonroe

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    edited September 2020
    driver100 said:

Sounds like you needs house sitter. No, I’m not volunteering. If I wanted to stay in a house all winter hiding from the cold I can do that in my own house.😔

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

“ A charter member of the Safety [non-permissible content removed] posted that I should have my license taken away and burned in front of me. “

Sounds like a member of the KKK (Kronic Karen Komplainers).

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Check it for what?

jmonroe

And just how does either side prove it was or wasn’t checked?
    I think they would want to ask someone....also if they could find 1 weeks worth of damage they would know. I think companies that check keep a log. They could check with our alarm company, as the checker would have a code for the alarm...they can check when they came. It might be hard to get someone to lie for you too.....there may be a serious penalty. If there is $500000 worth of damage they will check everything possible.

edited September 2020

I think it’s set up like that as a show off thing. I mentioned some time ago that I followed a beat up Civic on the NY Thruway that was cambered just like that and he was doing 40 mph as chunks of his tires flung off in every direction. I’m guess it’s a drifting thing.

I just put new tires on the Mustang and since the old ones had maybe 50% tread left I emailed my nephew to ask if he knew anyone who might want them. He responded that he might since a lot of his friends burned up their tires on a regular basis by drifting their cars.

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Check it for what?

jmonroe

Since I’ve owned my first house I have ALWAYS turned off the water and relieved the pressure when I was going to be out of the house for more than a day. It’s very easy to do. Don’t worry, if you forget to turn it on when you get home you’ll be reminded pretty quickly. When you think about it, it’s pretty fool prove. The last thing I want to see when I get home from vacation is water running out from under my garage door. I’ve mentioned this before and I’m sure you guys have laughed but I have trained Mrs. j to turn off the water supply to the washing machine and bleed off the pressure after every use and to double check it before going to bed. Yes, I am paranoid about things like this. Kinda like checking lug nuts when I take my car to a shop and they work anywhere near my wheels.

This won’t help with breakins but it never hurts to do what you have control of.

I’m not surprised that insurance companies have gone to sneaking in language on their policies. Insurance companies always want it their way. Just ask @andres3.

jmonroe

We have always turned the water off as well. They say thieves could clean the place out and have days to do it, flooding from water outside will get worse with time, water coming from the roof......lots can go wrong other than water damage. We go away for 5 months for 10 years...no problems, we turn the water off like you do. The insurance companies are sliding this clause in.

Maybe I can do that to my Cobalt to make it look more "in with the 'in crowd'"?

“in crowd “?
    “inbred crowd” is more like it.

Congrats. Usually Opportunities happen when they do, not when you want them! So if it’s right, gotta do it.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    Congrats, @28firefighter! Seems like the right move, and perhaps not the most optimal time. @stickguy summed it up nicely.

Now that the cooking studio has been open for a year, the wife is considering taking a regular job in her old field (early childhood education).

My stepdaughter and staff can take care of most of the classes, camps and parties, and the wife would like to earn her own money again.

The studio has made some money, but not enough to provide both the wife and stepdaughter any sort of regular stipend.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Since life changes seem to be the name of the game for September, I figure I'll share that I am changing jobs (and companies) as well. Was presented with an opportunity to pivot out of my current field into a related area that has a lot more opportunity long-term and makes me a much more marketable candidate.

I start in my new role in October. I'm probably insane for doing this during a pandemic, but this is truly a once-in-a-career type of chance for someone with my background.

Big ‘Grats!
    stickguy said:

Congrats. Usually Opportunities happen when they do, not when you want them! So if it’s right, gotta do it.

Well said! Congrats firefighter, how exciting. We aren't buying many cars around here but at least guys are landing new careers.....that's even better actually. :p

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255

Since life changes seem to be the name of the game for September, I figure I'll share that I am changing jobs (and companies) as well. Was presented with an opportunity to pivot out of my current field into a related area that has a lot more opportunity long-term and makes me a much more marketable candidate.

I start in my new role in October. I'm probably insane for doing this during a pandemic, but this is truly a once-in-a-career type of chance for someone with my background.

Sounds challenging and has greater opportunity. Wishing you all the best come October!

2021 Genesis G90

I’d line to do both if possible (the new career would certainly help with the new car part)

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    Thanks everyone! I'm really excited and I know it will be a lot of hard work - but hopefully worth it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    A guy one street down from me has a new 740I sitting in his driveway.
    A lady a few streets above me is driving a new X7 (or X5).

Man! Those grilles.

They look not as bad better in pictures.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Today, the cleaning lady for the house across the street showed up in a newly plated last gen X3.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

That’s great. You’ll forge ahead while the timid lose out.

I love getting them on a lease that is only 1 year old. I actually got a letter today from the Acura dealer trying to scare me into getting one on the TLX, because they serviced it (so maybe did not know it was leased). Needless to say I tossed that.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Last one called and I grilled her about who she works for, what is their web address, etc. She just kept repeating “extended warranty company.” About the 5th time I asked for a web address, she hung up.

I keep having the thought that I should tell them how glad I am that they want to cover my ‘67 Dodge.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S