Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    stickguy said:

actually hoping things in the market calm down, and by the spring time it will be more of a normal to buyers market.

Tax refund season, though. :'(
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    stickguy said:

love the colors on this one. Nice lowish miles Florida car (AKA an Oldfarmer special). Probably "stately" performance with the 6 banger, but should be relatively cheap to maintain.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-1995-mercedes~benz-sl_class-sl_class_2dr_roadster_3_2l-used-wdbfa63e4sf116821.html

That's sharp!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    edited October 2020
    stickguy said:

love the colors on this one. Nice lowish miles Florida car (AKA an Oldfarmer special). Probably "stately" performance with the 6 banger, but should be relatively cheap to maintain.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-1995-mercedes~benz-sl_class-sl_class_2dr_roadster_3_2l-used-wdbfa63e4sf116821.html

I really like that. Nice mileage for 25 years old. Price not too bad if everything works. Wonder what kind of problem you’d have getting parts? 6cyl wouldn’t be a problem since leisurely cruising is what convertibles are for.

As to my fixation with a Florida cars, I present the following:

Florida car

NY car

Florida car

NY car

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    mjfloyd1 said:

I sold four Audi wheels to a guy in Las Vegas. Only three wheels made it. They were in BBS boxes and shipped by FedEx.

Do the people of Phoenix not like me (since that box tracking says it has been in Phoenix since 10/5) or is it a FedEx conspiracy? Maybe they don’t like BBS boxes?

Thankfully I paid the filthy greedy scummy company for insurance so that I will be reimbursed.

I’m glad that I have the FedEx receipt and a picture of the wheel...

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. :smile: Did you get reimbursed, and was it for 100 cents on the dollar?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

andres3 said:

I might just be saying that because I haven't got a ticket since that Alltrack incident.

This person seems to have more and more lengthy disputes with the assembled here than most. I can't keep track of the various people he carries on with. Some of you are pretty careful with tracking those of us on here. Is it my imagination, or are there several? It used to do with how all speed limits were unacceptable, but now we've moved on.

Oh boy.

Some people get irked by the truth. It happens.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    edited October 2020
    Don’t know if I shared, but about a week ago my home EV charger kicked the bucket. Every time I plugged it into the car, I got an error on the dash saying “insufficient grid power.” Long story short, the manufacturer was able to remote into my EVSE and determined it needed a warranty replacement. Why? I’m sure I’ll find out.

Replacement EVSE arrived via UPS overnight EXCEPT that because it’s hardwired (vs plugged into a 240 outlet), it needs an electrician to install it. So, they can’t come out until Friday.

I can charge via a Level 1 cord I have but it takes a looooong time, so the i3 has largely been parked. I could go find a level 2 or level 3 public station, but I have two other cars I can drive. Just annoying.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    can't you just let the REX charge it?

on the bright side, at least you don't have to pay for it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I could if I let it run down. But it is far from refined and at that point, I’d just drive one of the other cars.
    interesting. So you can't just turn on the engine to start charging any time you want to?

Nope! You can modify it with special coding to be able to turn it on once range is below 75%, but I don’t have that.
    edited October 2020
    Is warranty covering the cost of the electrician, as well? I'd probably DIY if it didn't. Has to be pretty unusual for one of those to fail, I don't think there are very many things to break.
    Yes, they are, thankfully. I don’t futz with electricity beyond outlets, light switches, and light fixtures.
    edited October 2020
    I think every component on JR's 350z drift car was torqued just shy of the point where the head would break off the bolt... The rear calipers laughed at his giant impact wrench, then he had to hit the rotors with a hammer to get them loose.

Edited to add: The oil pan, too! *facepalm*

Don’t know if I shared, but about a week ago my home EV charger kicked the bucket. Every time I plugged it into the car, I got an error on the dash saying “insufficient grid power.” Long story short, the manufacturer was able to remote into my EVSE and determined it needed a warranty replacement. Why? I’m sure I’ll find out.

Replacement EVSE arrived via UPS overnight EXCEPT that because it’s hardwired (vs plugged into a 240 outlet), it needs an electrician to install it. So, they can’t come out until Friday.

I can charge via a Level 1 cord I have but it takes a looooong time, so the i3 has largely been parked. I could go find a level 2 or level 3 public station, but I have two other cars I can drive. Just annoying.

Maybe you were the victim of one of those rolling blackouts. Can you imagine what’ll happen when all the cars are electric.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

...rolling blackouts? In Seattle? Not a thing...

...rolling blackouts? In Seattle? Not a thing...

Just wait...... :s

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

that is a pretty nice looking one. Just don't think I want to spend that much on it. But could be market correct. Wonder what that would do on cars and bids?

I didn't realize that was a factory color. I know they offered a royal looking blue when that generation debuted in 2004, and it looked really nice with the ivory interior.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    stickguy said:

This sorta reminds me of the one that I won on BaT, well, until I didn't.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

tifighter said:

I had a Clipper Creek unit go out on me a few years back and they sent me a replacement under warranty. Also hardwired. I have all thumbs, but removed the old one and installed the replacement in under an hour. But even with the breaker switched off, you better believe I used the voltage tester every minute or two just to test my anxiety.
    Good for you. Maybe if labor weren’t covered I’d be more likely to try. But as-is, nah.

I think I’m mostly just disappointed. It is quite literally the last electronic item we have that I would have thought would break after 10 months of relatively light use...
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    In error I posted this yesterday in the wrong forum.

After a week with the Passat and about 180 miles,yes, I’ve been finding reasons to drive it, it’s a good car. The interior quality is the same or slightly better than the 13 Accord EX it replaced. The top of the dash, upper door panels are soft touch, hard plastic below similar to the Accord. The carpet is thicker than the almost paper thin excuse of carpet Honda used. It has a nicely shaped and leather covered steering wheel, shift lever, hand brake which the Accord didn’t have. The VW has decent power, sport mode makes it feel more lively. My major beef with sport mode in most cars, and this one is no exception, is that it keeps the revs up once cruising speed is reached. The engine tone is muted and under hard acceleration sounds good and not strained. The car is quiet overall except the tires seem to provide noticeable feedback in noise from different road surfaces which is a little annoying. From what I’ve read the Bridgestone tires are a reason for this. However they still have plenty of tread and seem to been fine otherwise so replacement will not happen anytime soon.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    The new normal for this year is the kids have to get dressed before they get to the rink. Saturday AM my 14 year old (pictured) had an away game, my 11 year old son had an away game (my wife took home) and my almost 9 year old daughter had a soccer game in town. We sent my oldest with another family to the game. While he was waiting to get picked up, he got dressed in the parking lot.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    I guess if you remove the T-top you can get a hockey stick into a Corvette. :sunglasses:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    I missed the C8 association.... did he get a ride to his game in that?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited October 2020
    That low rider fiero auction is up to $10,000 now.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    Maybe the hockey stick would fit in the “frunk”
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    stickguy said:

That low rider fiero auction is up to $10,000 now.

I just don't get it. People should have better things to do with their money. Like burn it for warmth.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    xwesx said:

I missed the C8 association.... did he get a ride to his game in that?

Whoops! Nope. That C8 was just parked in the parking lot of the diner we were meeting his teammate at.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592

Good for you. Maybe if labor weren’t covered I’d be more likely to try. But as-is, nah.

I think I’m mostly just disappointed. It is quite literally the last electronic item we have that I would have thought would break after 10 months of relatively light use...

Which EVSE was this, anyhow?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Rinks are doing the same here, I hate putting on gear in the parking lot, one of the last times I did it, it was raining - the tailgate of the wagon can act as a roof of sorts, anyway.
    nyccarguy said:

The new normal for this year is the kids have to get dressed before they get to the rink.

tifighter said:

Which EVSE was this, anyhow?
    EnelX Juicebox
    edited October 2020
    mjfloyd1 said:

Maybe the hockey stick would fit in the “frunk”

Only if it was one of those collapsible sticks.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    edited October 2020
    fintail said:

Rinks are doing the same here, I hate putting on gear in the parking lot, one of the last times I did it, it was raining - the tailgate of the wagon can act as a roof of sorts, anyway.

nyccarguy said:

The new normal for this year is the kids have to get dressed before they get to the rink.

Raining?! In the Seattle area? No way.... :p
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited October 2020
    That’s a Ferrari. I wonder how big the C8 frunk is?

May not need the frunk. The rear trunk will hold a golf bag.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gmauthority.com/blog/2020/04/heres-how-much-stuff-you-can-fit-in-the-2020-corvette-c8s-two-trunks-video/amp/

That yellow is interesting on the C8. I don't know if I could do it
    edited October 2020
    I picked the wrong Google result, edited to fix it. The C8 frunk is smaller than that of the Ferrari. :'(

A golf bag isn’t as long as a hockey stick unless you’re Happy Gilmore.

ab348 said:

"The Price is Wrong, Bob!"

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

edited October 2020
    ab348 said:

I picked the wrong Google result, edited to fix it. The C8 frunk is smaller than that of the Ferrari. :'(

I have no idea how long a hockey stick is 😁 but looks like it needs to be a collapsible hockey stick.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Just bungee the stick to the rear wing.
    Here's a picture show the length of a hockey stick.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    nyccarguy said:

The new normal for this year is the kids have to get dressed before they get to the rink. Saturday AM my 14 year old (pictured) had an away game, my 11 year old son had an away game (my wife took home) and my almost 9 year old daughter had a soccer game in town. We sent my oldest with another family to the game. While he was waiting to get picked up, he got dressed in the parking lot.

Nice kid, nice car.

good grief, this is crazy clean!! Too bad about the transmission.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-bmw-m3-convertible-38/

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

that is sweet. And I would never buy one with an automatic.

edited October 2020
    not gonna look it up, but isn't that the clutchless manual thing? ummm... SMG? And they need their pumps replaced periodically? Do I have that right?

edit: nope. apparently that is a standard automatic, which was also available. ugh.

well, the slushbox is much better than the SMG. I think that came along in the E46 days.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Didn’t Wheeler Dealers do one of those SMG transmissions and convert to full manual?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    nyccarguy said:

nyccarguy said:

Darien? I thought that you lived in Stamford. I lived in Darien until I was 13. My mother grew up there right on the Post Rd. just East of Gardner Rd on the way to Noroton train station.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    edited October 2020
    Got to Goodyear this morning and they found a screw in the right rear tire, what I thought was and felt like a nail in the left rear tire was a rock! I was quite surprised. After trying to weasel out of the free replacement Eagle GT tire by saying I bought it back in 2016, was nice to be able to whip out the receipt which showed September 2019 purchase date. Guy looked like he knew he f'ed up but I was real polite about it all which helped but did feel bad for him in that he couldn't read his computer properly. Took a long while as they didn't have a tire in stock and their other store sent over the wrong size 17" tire. They ended up sending their own guy over to swap out and bring the right tire back to install. Had to pay a small amount and after 4 hours, was on the way home. Got there at 7:50, opened at 8 and was out the door by noon. But, it's done.
    Now, within almost 2 weeks, needed a new battery, got the axle boot replaced & got a new tire due to damage. I've really had enough now! Hoping for no more drama for hopefully the next year until the new VW models I'm looking at come to the market place. Just wish the Golf would've been as trouble free as the A3 has been up to now.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)