Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    omarman said:

Agreed again! Dr. Phil is practicing reality TV without a license. :smile:

You need a license to be on reality TV, I thought all you needed was a frontal lobotomy.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Maybe a decade ago I was standing in a checkout line at the supermarket when the woman ahead of me turned around and asked if I was Dr. Phil. She obviously needed help so I can understand her desperation. :laughing:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162

omarman said:

Agreed again! Dr. Phil is practicing reality TV without a license. :smile:

You need a license to be on reality TV, I thought all you needed was a frontal lobotomy.
    It's the viewers, not the hosts.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    Talk about DIY jobs....I was really impressed with this guys ingenuity!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

I actually do like a G Wagon and I sat in one in the showroom and it is comfortable and beautifully appointed inside. Not great gas mileage but if you can afford a $200k car.....why worry about that. I'm not a fan of Nicolettes but I like the G Wagon;

The dent:

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited December 2020
    driver100 said:

I can't approve that job. Absolutely no duct tape used. "F". Not a single piece of duct tape. Nowhere.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Phillip Calvin McGraw (born September 1, 1950), also known as Dr. Phil, is an American television personality, author and the host of the television show Dr. Phil. He holds a doctorate in clinical psychology, but ceased renewing his license to practice psychological therapy in 2006. (Wikipedia)

One reason Dr Phil may not want to renew his license is because then he would have to keep client information confidential....hard to do with a TV show. In many areas such as in Canada, you can be a family therapist without a license at all. Many therapists take extra courses so they can have more expertise.

I don't watch Dr Phil very often, maybe twice a year, but he is an effective communicator and I think his advice is pretty good. If you have a doctorate in psychology, you would have a pretty good idea about what is going on in people's heads!

I can't stand Dr. Pill. I see him stretching things and couching things to make a good tv show, somewhat like the car repair/restoration shows. And I don't think he would have gone anywhere without the oprah having helped push him out onto the world with her studio's help. Like the Jerry Springer shows (bless his heart) and Wilkos shows I just click on by if I come across them.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    driver100 said:

I actually do like a G Wagon and I sat in one in the showroom and it is comfortable and beautifully appointed inside. Not great gas mileage but if you can afford a $200k car.....why worry about that. I'm not a fan of Nicolettes but I like the G Wagon;

She didn't get the flat black she wanted? What a loser! Oh, man, her mom doesn't love her at all!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I can't stand Dr. Pill. I see him stretching things and couching things to make a good tv show, somewhat like the car repair/restoration shows. And I don't think he would have gone anywhere without the oprah having helped push him out onto the world with her studio's help. Like the Jerry Springer shows (bless his heart) and Wilkos shows I just click on by if I come across them.

Every TV show, every movie, every magazine article......gets padded. If it was exact true life it would be as dull and boring as our regular life. Part of watching TV is to be entertained, therefore it can't be exactly true. Even documentaries are spruced up to make them more interesting. Dr Phil, whether you like him or not, knows psychology, and he makes a visit to the psychologist entertaining enough to watch....and people could actually learn something from what he says. Like the brat has no self esteem, how do you get a person to have self esteem.........his answer they have to do the hard work of making a life, and that is a good lesson for parents to know.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    Hoovie got an AMG G wagon recently with a bazillion miles. Looks just like the new one. Not even that expensive to sort it out. Sounds good with the side exhaust too!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    driver100 said:

So, what you’re saying is, it doesn’t take much.😀

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

So, what you’re saying is, it doesn’t take much.😀

jmonroe

What I am saying is he even has an amber light and a white headlight.... not some sloppy half - - - job, he thought it through. :p

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I’ve not seen enough of those day time shows to know what they are all about. I was amazed to find out he was the host of The Price is Right for over a decade.

So, the Dr Phil clip, while I’m sure dramatized, still is about a narcissistic girl determined to mine parental guilt for personal gain and her Mother who’s trying to over compensate with her for some real or perceived shortcoming she has as a wife/mother.

There...I summed up the whole clip in 10 seconds and gave my diagnosis. Next patient, please.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    driver100 said:

Phillip Calvin McGraw (born September 1, 1950), also known as Dr. Phil, is an American television personality, author and the host of the television show Dr. Phil. He holds a doctorate in clinical psychology, but ceased renewing his license to practice psychological therapy in 2006. (Wikipedia)

One reason Dr Phil may not want to renew his license is because then he would have to keep client information confidential....hard to do with a TV show. In many areas such as in Canada, you can be a family therapist without a license at all. Many therapists take extra courses so they can have more expertise.

I don't watch Dr Phil very often, maybe twice a year, but he is an effective communicator and I think his advice is pretty good. If you have a doctorate in psychology, you would have a pretty good idea about what is going on in people's heads!

Really? Using that illogical line of thought is akin to someone saying, “I’ve been driving for 30 years, so I must be a good driver”. Again, REALLY?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,056
    edited December 2020

There...I summed up the whole clip in 10 seconds and gave my diagnosis. Next patient, please.

Gosh, just like Lucy. Where should we send the nickel?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

I might come down. Yesterday it was close to 60 this time of night. Today, mid afternoon, was barely over 40 and overcast with winds. My ears froze taking my daily walk. I hate being cold. Which is why it is really strange that I am willing to let my wife talk me into moving back to upstate NY, Vermont or New Hampshire.

Remember, I offered to sell you my shack if she made you come to NY. It’s located in the center of your desired area. Too bad your wallet doesn’t open up any wider than the developers who’ve been trying to steal it from me.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

driver100 said:

Whenever I see a G Wagon the thing that comes to mind was that they forgot to put in the gun ports so the armored car drivers can shoot at the robbers.

I’ve not seen enough of those day time shows to know what they are all about. I was amazed to find out he was the host of The Price is Right for over a decade.

So, the Dr Phil clip, while I’m sure dramatized, still is about a narcissistic girl determined to mine parental guilt for personal gain and her Mother who’s trying to over compensate with her for some real or perceived shortcoming she has as a wife/mother.

You did sum it up very well, now if you can find a network that will hire you then you too could make $5 million a year.

driver100 said:

The dent:

Oh, now it looks like a Toyato RAV4.

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Really? Using that illogical line of thought is akin to someone saying, “I’ve been driving for 30 years, so I must be a good driver”. Again, REALLY?

jmonroe

Well no, more like a guy who has been an engineer for 30 years as an example, compared to a guy who built a footstool. :p

stickguy said:

I might come down. Yesterday it was close to 60 this time of night. Today, mid afternoon, was barely over 40 and overcast with winds. My ears froze taking my daily walk. I hate being cold. Which is why it is really strange that I am willing to let my wife talk me into moving back to upstate NY, Vermont or New Hampshire.

Remember, I offered to sell you my shack if she made you come to NY. It’s located in the center of your desired area. Too bad your wallet doesn’t open up any wider than the developers who’ve been trying to steal it from me.
    Make me an offer. Great location. I just don’t need all the land! So would have to subdivide.

On the topic of reality shows;

driver100 said:

You did sum it up very well, now if you can find a network that will hire you then you too could make $5 million a year.
    I doubt @graphicguy would be willing to take a pay cut and expose himself on national TV. He prefers being under the radar and running cars around for dealers.🤓

jmonroe

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe

Well no, more like a guy who has been an engineer for 30 years as an example, compared to a guy who built a footstool. :p
    I don’t get the correlation and even though you wrote that, I’m not sure you do either.

jmonroe
    driver100 said:

So this kid (probably backed by mom & dad) is just another internet “influencer”. Using Dr. Phil to promote her is pretty clever.

Maybe JR or Hoovie could go on his show for help with their junk car addiction.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

driver100 said:

I can't approve that job. Absolutely no duct tape used. "F". Not a single piece of duct tape. Nowhere.
    I don’t know... I think it’s a passing grade for the zip ties :smile:

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I’ve about given up on Best Buy; now the Panasonic BD player is out of stock and not on display. Availability of the displays I’m considering is also sketchy. I’m checking with a few other HTS stores in my area.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    This thread really does cover everything. Dr. Phil now?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    stickguy said:

stickguy said:

Make me an offer. Great location. I just don’t need all the land! So would have to subdivide.
    $500k takes it. We already mapped it out for 11 lots. You bring a bag of cash, I hand you the keys and I’ll go visit Mike.🤑🤑🤑

tjc78 said:

driver100 said:

I don’t know... I think it’s a passing grade for the zip ties :smile:
    I guess you're right! If this were Science Olympiad, this would be the category called " best solutions without using duct tape."

edited December 2020
    driver100 said:

Every TV show, every movie, every magazine article......gets padded. If it was exact true life it would be as dull and boring as our regular life. Part of watching TV is to be entertained, therefore it can't be exactly true. Even documentaries are spruced up to make them more interesting. Dr Phil, whether you like him or not, knows psychology, and he makes a visit to the psychologist entertaining enough to watch....and people could actually learn something from what he says. Like the brat has no self esteem, how do you get a person to have self esteem.........his answer they have to do the hard work of making a life, and that is a good lesson for parents to know.
    I don't think the stay-at-home instead of working folks watching daytime TV probably aren't going to internalize the concept of self-reliance and independence rather than the state providing them with everything from sort-of-Dr Phil shows.

I just watched a few minutes of the Wendy Williams show and a half minute of the view gals. Not a lot of intellect there on daytime TV on major networks. Lots of self-righteousness though. LOL

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Michaell said:

Gosh, just like Lucy. Where should we send the nickel?

I watched A Charlie Brown Christmas again yesterday and laughed at something that I had never noticed before. In the ice skating scene with Snoopy look at the faces of the cartoon kids. What starts out looking like happiness and joy at 18 seconds turned to expressions of fear and loathing 3 seconds later. Lol! Never noticed that detail before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQAtgxuiO_E&feature=emb_title
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860

I’ve about given up on Best Buy; now the Panasonic BD player is out of stock and not on display. Availability of the displays I’m considering is also sketchy. I’m checking with a few other HTS stores in my area.

Me too. Welcome to the dark side.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

They broke price on it and sold out for Cyber Monday most likely.

I grabbed the Sony UBPX700. On sale for $149 from $249. Not the best build quality, but great reviews and at $149 worst case it ends up in another room.

Also got a great deal on a touch screen Chromebook from them on CM... says delivery to my local BB by 12/17. Cutting that close for Xmas.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    edited December 2020
    If you have a doctorate in clinical psychology but no license, then you can’t counsel patients or call yourself a doctor in the sense of someone who treats people. He just plays one on TV. It would be like practicing law without a license.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Exactly who'd I'd expect to drive something like that, while parking in a handicap spot or hopping a curb to get around traffic, then using daddy's (or other meal ticket) wallet to cover the damage. This can be a real thing in the tonier suburbs even in Seattle.

That one, being the prior W463 (first gen), is now kind of old hat and is finally seeing some depreciation - even the G63 can be found all day long for under 100K now. I've driven one - trucky, but with a sense of occasion.

I'd take a new style model, not AMG, no bullbar, plain wheels.
    driver100 said:

I actually do like a G Wagon and I sat in one in the showroom and it is comfortable and beautifully appointed inside. Not great gas mileage but if you can afford a $200k car.....why worry about that. I'm not a fan of Nicolettes but I like the G Wagon

driver100 said:

So this kid (probably backed by mom & dad) is just another internet “influencer”. Using Dr. Phil to promote her is pretty clever.

Maybe JR or Hoovie could go on his show for help with their junk car addiction.
    Maybe the kid ain't so dumb after all.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    fintail said:

Exactly who'd I'd expect to drive something like that, while parking in a handicap spot or hopping a curb to get around traffic, then using daddy's (or other meal ticket) wallet to cover the damage. This can be a real thing in the tonier suburbs even in Seattle.

When I first began work with the liquor board here about 20 years ago the first person I dealt with closely was the newly-appointed Board Chair, not a bad guy but a political operative, hence the appointment. When he took the job he hired his longtime assistant into that role in the new place. She reminded me of this sort of person. Constantly throwing around references to money and expensive things, bragging about her connections and influence, just a real charmer. Eventually she went off the rails in a spectacular way, not going to get into that here, but even at that, her boss was trying everything to save her job and told me a story about her that summed her up nicely.

In their previous work together the office was in a large office tower downtown. Parking was of course a challenge as you needed to walk several blocks to/from one of several large parkades to get to the building. When she got pregnant she decided she didn't want to do that any more so she decided to park every day in the handicapped spot next to the rear entrance. That was one of maybe just a half-dozen spots that close but the only one that was usually empty. She racked up over a hundred parking tickets. Never paid any of them, never felt a bit of regret apparently. Eventually a warrant was issued for her and her boss had to step in, pull strings, and get the problem taken care of, exactly how I don't know but he seemed quite proud of his accomplishment. This last time he wasn't able to save her. She ultimately got fired and nobody ever saw or heard from her again.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

I remember that the Cardassians found people guilty and then had a trial. The purpose of the trial was to show the fairness of the guilty verdict. We used to have a judge that followed that philosophy and I always referred to his docket as Cardassian Circuit Court.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited December 2020

stickguy said:

stickguy said:

$500k takes it. We already mapped it out for 11 lots. You bring a bag of cash, I hand you the keys and I’ll go visit Mike.🤑🤑🤑
    Seems reasonable. If it comes with the house and barns. I could see a developer wanting that.

I would rather have an acre for a new house and the barn, and sell off the rest.

I remember that the Cardassians found people guilty and then had a trial. The purpose of the trial was to show the fairness of the guilty verdict. We used to have a judge that followed that philosophy and I always referred to his docket as Cardassian Circuit Court.

Isn’t that the way they do it in France too?

stickguy said:

stickguy said:

stickguy said:

Seems reasonable. If it comes with the house and barns. I could see a developer wanting that.

I would rather have an acre for a new house and the barn, and sell off the rest.
    Developers only want the land. Everything else I built would be bulldozed. That’s why we could never come to terms.

I want I barn I can use for car storage and projects. The house means little to me, but the wife seems to care! So I would keep half of it.

suydam said:

If you have a doctorate in clinical psychology but no license, then you can’t counsel patients or call yourself a doctor in the sense of someone who treats people. He just plays one on TV. It would be like practicing law without a license.

Actually depending on the state and what you are doing you can counsel patients without a license. It all depends on the state and what you are actually doing. But lets get back to the issue at hand, if you have a doctorial degree you have the title of doctor, Not all doctors are MD's

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I wonder what she did to get canned. It usually takes something akin to murder to be let go from a ranking public sector role like that, at least in this part of the world. Simple incompetence won't do it, heck, it might garner a promotion.
    ab348 said:

This last time he wasn't able to save her. She ultimately got fired and nobody ever saw or heard from her again.

Wasn't there an episode where the Cardassian defense attorney actually won the case and his response was something to the effect of "Now I'm a dead man"?

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220
    edited December 2020
    mjfloyd1 said:
    Seriously, they sell OLED and LCD TVs as well as projectors. Probably the Panasonic blu ray too but I’d have to double check. Chris is very active on AVS forums. Great pricing and service.