Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    edited May 2021

Wow! Did they say that with a straight face?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,371
    Given the market, I doubt any 3 row SUV’s are leasing well. The Pilot had some good programs when I was interested last month and the Highlander typically does but the latter was too snug which I can see. Be patient, shop around etc…Is there a broker on LH that has anything that fits the bill?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    nyccarguy said:

Interesting time we are living through to say the least. I just got quoted $749/month with $800 DAS for 24 months/19,500 miles per year with 6.35% tax rolled into the payment for a 2021 Explorer XLT. MSRP of $43,955 with a selling price of $42,455 (sticker minus rebate). Marked up interest rate (0.6%) as opposed to the buy rate of 0.15%.

Boo.... hiss.... :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    henryn said:

nyccarguy said:

Interesting time we are living through to say the least. I just got quoted $749/month with $800 DAS for 24 months/19,500 miles per year with 6.35% tax rolled into the payment for a 2021 Explorer XLT. MSRP of $43,955 with a selling price of $42,455 (sticker minus rebate). Marked up interest rate (0.6%) as opposed to the buy rate of 0.15%.

Hey, the quote button is back!!! :)

In regards to your lease quote, that is a lot of miles (19,500 per year), and a short term (24 months). I believe the more common scenario is 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, which should be less. But probably still way too d___ high.
    Yeah, $500 off MSRP for a Ford anything is just too darn high. @nyccarguy would be spitting splinters for months if he took that "deal." :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    xwesx said:

henryn said:

nyccarguy said:

Hey, the quote button is back!!! :)

In regards to your lease quote, that is a lot of miles (19,500 per year), and a short term (24 months). I believe the more common scenario is 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, which should be less. But probably still way too d___ high.
    Yeah, $500 off MSRP for a Ford anything is just too darn high. @nyccarguy would be spitting splinters for months if he took that "deal." :(
    Those are the times we are living in. But there are a few bright spots out there. I just received an email ad from a local VW dealer. He has 41 Tiguan's in stock, new leftover 2020 models starting at $21,891, and 2021 models at $23,272.

https://www.momentumvolkswagen.com/new-inventory/index.htm?utm_source=elead&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sales_2021-05-11&model=Tiguan
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I was out running errands this afternoon, and left the Pacifica sitting in a parking lot for about an hour. 2 o'clock in the afternoon, 90 degrees in the shade, god knows what in the direct sunlight. When I got back in, the stale cigarette smell had returned. I'm running the ozone generator again, have it set to run 90 minutes this time, but engine not on, A/C not running.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535

If you like old Cavaliers there are some around that are cheaper but still not cheap.
    https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/d/oneco-1999-z24-cavalier-conv-original/7317439266.html

My first new car was a 1992 Z24 Cavalier, GM at it's worst....so no I don't like old Cavaliers. Out of the 22 cars I've owned it ranks dead last, by a very wide margin.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489
    must be some Hyundais on the lots. Got an email from my local dealer with some pretty strong lease offers. mostly lower line stuff, but one I almost called on was a Kona AWD unlimited. backing out the $500 first responder rebate it was ~$244/month sign and drive. Sticker was about $30K. That is a nice car for that price and well loaded.

though looks like the unit is gone and only FWD versions now listed (4 unlimiteds).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited May 2021
    henryn said:

I was out running errands this afternoon, and left the Pacifica sitting in a parking lot for about an hour. 2 o'clock in the afternoon, 90 degrees in the shade, god knows what in the direct sunlight. When I got back in, the stale cigarette smell had returned. I'm running the ozone generator again, have it set to run 90 minutes this time, but engine not on, A/C not running.

Yeah, that's one thing that just doesn't go away. You can get rid of a lot of smells, but cigarette smoke and dog are not among them. :(

Even after substantial and repeated cleanings, my cars that had once been used as kennels would always smell strongly of dog after sitting on hot days.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    A shame period GM products could be so coarse, as some of them look kind of cool in their own way. A couple blocks from me there's an immaculate blue early 90s Z24 convertible, white top, original wheels with directional spokes, pretty rare thing now.
    jpp75 said:

If you like old Cavaliers there are some around that are cheaper but still not cheap.
    https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/d/oneco-1999-z24-cavalier-conv-original/7317439266.html

My first new car was a 1992 Z24 Cavalier, GM at it's worst....so no I don't like old Cavaliers. Out of the 22 cars I've owned it ranks dead last, by a very wide margin.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I will maybe forgive Denon for their past transgressions with very poor after warranty support on a high-end product because they keep making incredibly good products in the audio entertainment world (both 2-channel integrated amps and flagship receivers). I might end my grudge against them; thinking about it.

I don't know that I'll ever be able to forgive Chrysler/Dodge. I might be able to forgive the other "Big 2" that were held in contempt and guilty by "association."
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926

Well, it is FWD, but gotta admit that a CPO wagon with so dew miles is damned tempting at this price.
    https://www.prestigevolvocarsenglewood.com/certified/Volvo/2017-Volvo-V60-fe8bea2e0a0e0a6b1d240ca6f809e373.htm

Is this worth 50% more? Eh, probably not, but that is a fantastic color combo and a supercharged v6 is compelling.
    https://www.unionparkjaguar.com/used/Jaguar/2017-Jaguar-F-PACE-1476f1ff0a0e0adf3818e59c50436486.htm

And, well, this is just sexy. And a TT V6.
    https://www.islandautomall.com/certified/Maserati/2016-Maserati-Ghibli-8c38adbe0a0e0ae7076dc2dbf4257c70.htm

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:
    Uh oh. He's looking! This means something... this is important....
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    qbrozen said:

Well, it is FWD, but gotta admit that a CPO wagon with so dew miles is damned tempting at this price.
    https://www.prestigevolvocarsenglewood.com/certified/Volvo/2017-Volvo-V60-fe8bea2e0a0e0a6b1d240ca6f809e373.htm

Is this worth 50% more? Eh, probably not, but that is a fantastic color combo and a supercharged v6 is compelling.
    https://www.unionparkjaguar.com/used/Jaguar/2017-Jaguar-F-PACE-1476f1ff0a0e0adf3818e59c50436486.htm

And, well, this is just sexy. And a TT V6.
    https://www.islandautomall.com/certified/Maserati/2016-Maserati-Ghibli-8c38adbe0a0e0ae7076dc2dbf4257c70.htm

You do have an eye for some nice cars. I like the miles, color combo, & price on the Volvo. I'm not a huge Volvo fan, but really like these particular V60s.

The Jag looks sharp. If you have an opportunity to buy a Supercharged V6 SUV in British Racing Green (if that's the colour), go for it. That interior is WAAAAAY to light for my tastes.

What's not to like about a Maserati (except that you have to buy it from a Mitsubishi dealer)?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    henryn said:

Maybe that’s the best time to run your machine. Let it cook in the sun and release all the smoke molecules so the ozone can get at it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

xwesx said:

qbrozen said:
    Uh oh. He's looking! This means something... this is important....
    LOL, yeah, you don’t need to be a mind reader to see where this is going.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited May 2021
    henryn said:

I just saw a lengthy YouTube video posted by a pro detailer. He tested a whole bucket full of synthetic and ceramic waxes. Some weren’t worth the bottle they came in. But, he was amazed that Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Wax did so well, and was his winner of the “shoot out”. It was cheap, too.

@graphicguy
    Would you post the link to the review. Sounds interesting.

Let me see if I can chase it down. I didn’t make a note of which site had the tests, but it was pretty extensive with a lot of brands in the test.

It was one of those nights where I got deep into the YouTube Rabbit hole.
    Perhaps this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxKQwZah1s

That’s the one!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,963
    Does the ceramic coating hide small imperfections? He didn't mention that or any gloss improvement, only durability under his contrived test.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

JRgo said recently they have some filler so it can smooth out scratches.

Other than he color combo, I love the Volvo wagon.

edited May 2021
    Oil change at the dealer this morning. Really cruddy weather so no lot wandering but inside they had a couple of Highlanders in a nice dark blue. XLE’s stickering at $46 and $48k. Nice looking but I get what @nyccarguy was saying. It is noticeably smaller than the Pilot.

A few RAV4’s. Nice enough looking but not on my radar so didn’t check price.

To show how thin inventory is, a 2018 Tacoma in orange made the showroom floor. TRD Off Road 2wd with 47.5k miles for $33.4k.

The head scratcher was a Sequoia Platinum 4wd. Nice enough looking in black over gray but a $76k sticker! I felt like being cheeky and telling them I’m a player at $50k.

Small issue with the volvo is someone goofed when entering the miles and carfax has it at 23k, while the pics show it is still at 20k. Going to trigger a potential rollback event unless we have them fudge the odo statement.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

qbrozen said:

Small issue with the volvo is someone goofed when entering the miles and carfax has it at 23k, while the pics show it is still at 20k. Going to trigger a potential rollback event unless we have them fudge the odo statement.

How long ago did Carfax record the miles at 23k? If it was a decent amount of time (say 6 months or so), then you really have no idea how many miles are on that car. If it was a few weeks, then you can feel reasonably sure that it's at or around 23k. With all of the penalties involved these days, I fail to see why anyone would "roll back" an odometer by only 3k miles.

I do NOT want to go back to the days when 9 out of 10 used cars showed low mileage thanks to odometer rollbacks. Everyone used to think cars were completely worn out at 100k miles as you almost never saw a car with that many miles showing. Back when I was quite young, still living at home, and my father was working as a dealership mechanic, one of his friends / co-workers started his own business. He traveled around to used car lots and rolled back odometers.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    Rolling back electronic odometers is not difficult.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

Harder to erase all traces from every module though. I know Carly has a feature where it can check everyplace looking for it.

henryn said:

qbrozen said:

How long ago did Carfax record the miles at 23k? If it was a decent amount of time (say 6 months or so), then you really have no idea how many miles are on that car. If it was a few weeks, then you can feel reasonably sure that it's at or around 23k. With all of the penalties involved these days, I fail to see why anyone would "roll back" an odometer by only 3k miles.

I do NOT want to go back to the days when 9 out of 10 used cars showed low mileage thanks to odometer rollbacks. Everyone used to think cars were completely worn out at 100k miles as you almost never saw a car with that many miles showing. Back when I was quite young, still living at home, and my father was working as a dealership mechanic, one of his friends / co-workers started his own business. He traveled around to used car lots and rolled back odometers.
    Like I said, I think someone just fat-fingered the entry. But I've seen that before on carfax reports and it just says "potential rollback!" even when it is obvious it was a clerical error.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    qbrozen said:

henryn said:

qbrozen said:

Like I said, I think someone just fat-fingered the entry. But I've seen that before on carfax reports and it just says "potential rollback!" even when it is obvious it was a clerical error.
    That happened to Scott Adams, the Dilbert creator, on a BMW he owned and caused him loads of grief when he wanted to trade it in. I can't remember how that ever worked out.
    corvette said:

qbrozen said:

henryn said:

qbrozen said:

That happened to Scott Adams, the Dilbert creator, on a BMW he owned and caused him loads of grief when he wanted to trade it in. I can't remember how that ever worked out.
    All I could find, and it doesn't tell us how it ended.
    https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/02/scott-adams-finds-ttac-readers-already-know/

Be advised, the author of the above linked article appears to be a bit xenophobic.

stickguy said:

Harder to erase all traces from every module though. I know Carly has a feature where it can check everyplace looking for it.
    That’s interesting. Do you have a reference source for that?

henryn said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

henryn said:

qbrozen said:

All I could find, and it doesn't tell us how it ended.
    https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/02/scott-adams-finds-ttac-readers-already-know/

Be advised, the author of the above linked article appears to be a bit xenophobic.

You have to check your order at Mickey D’s too.

From their website. I’ve seen videos where they actually ran it to show results.

With the Used Car Check feature you’ll know if the car mileage was manipulated and more.

How it works:

Those who reduce car mileage can sell the vehicle for almost $5,000 more than the actual value. Carly sources km/mileage/lifetime data and VIN from different ECUs (control units) of your car to detect cases of manipulation and tampering.

Colonial pipeline is back online. Let’s see if prices fall as fast as they went up.

It's going to take some time to refill all the gas station tanks,
    edited May 2021

Colonial pipeline is back online. Let’s see if prices fall as fast as they went up.

Yeah, I wonder if they paid the ransom or just found a way to work around the hack. The more companies pay the ranson, the more attacks there will be.

On edit: found this on CNN:

The group, previously identified as DarkSide, demanded nearly $5 million, two sources familiar with the incident said.

But it is looking like Colonial Pipeline will not have to pay up. The company, working with US government officials, has managed to retrieve the most important data that was stolen, according to a person familiar with the response. The person said the data was not retrieved from the hackers via a ransomware payment, but by leveraging the attackers' use of intermediary servers within the United States to store the stolen information.

It's going to take some time to refill all the gas station tanks,

my wife was out this morning for a doctors appointment. Said no lines at the gas stations she passed. I'll probably be at about 1/2 a tank tomorrow after I get back from a trip to the vets. next time I am out without the dog will stop someplace. just in case!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414

This is the gas station 1/2 block down from my store.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382

You know what I don’t want? Plastic bags and water bottles full of highly flammable gasoline in my garage.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Lines were crazy when I got off tonight! And the problem is not affecting South Florida one bit! Folks saw it on the news and assumed it was all over the U S I'm guessing, so panic set in. Really really dumb sheeple 'd say. And as of this afternoon, the flow of petrol has started again, so it'll take a few days to fill all the stations that either had none or a very low amount. But just like the toilet paper craziness, people just get a crazy idea in their heads and run with it no matter if it's totally true or not. It's very sad that Americans think this is normal, think that going into panic mode is a good thing even though there's no logical reason to act that way.
    Well, we have plenty in our vehicles right now, I'm full and the A3 has 3/4 or a bit more, so we won't need any more for about a week.
    This is a big reason why an EV vehicle looks even better now. The only negative about electric is if there is a major power outage so charging is not an option. Probably won't be an issue but, one day, it could. And EV vehicles look to be where the automotive industry is heading right now. Think in less than ten years, the majority of vehicles in the United States will be EV vehicles.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382

Question. I got an email from BMW about 3 years of service for $199 if over 6 years and 60k miles. Even if that’s only 3 oil changes, $66 a pop is a solid deal. So my question is, do we think this applies to vehicles as old as my ZHP?

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    The storage tanks probably still have fuel, they just can't get it to the gas stations faster than people are buying it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,568

Question. I got an email from BMW about 3 years of service for $199 if over 6 years and 60k miles. Even if that’s only 3 oil changes, $66 a pop is a solid deal. So my question is, do we think this applies to vehicles as old as my ZHP?

I would guess it does. My dealer had an E46 special price of $79 for an oil change (vs. $135 normally)
    They call it "Value Service". Trying to not lose all their business to independents, once the warranty runs out. I used my indy mechanic for everything BUT oil changes. He was around $110.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    I think the hacker group released a statement to the effect that they have nothing against the oil companies specifically, so, not to worry, they will just target a different industry next time to keep everyone on their toes! :s
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    edited May 2021

@28firefighter said:

I received the same email. It references the CBS system so it may exclude the E46. I plan to sign my wife’s X1 up and possibly the M235i as well(since I’m having trouble finding a car that I like better for anywhere close to a price I’m willing to pay).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited May 2021
    nyccarguy said:

I'm going to reach out to a few more Ford dealers regarding some XLT Explorers they have. One thing I have learned over the years is that dealers would rather choke on inventory. When I was car shopping during Cash 4 Clunkers 11 years ago, I remember test driving an Accord EXL V6 Sedan (w/ Navigation) in that light green color. I remember on the test drive the sales woman specifically telling me that "all the dealers around" aren't selling any C4C eligible vehicles for a penny under MSRP. The dealership was down the street from my apartment and I passed it every day. That Accord sat for a LONG time.

Once this chip supply straightens itself out (and it will, eventually), Explorers will be a dime a dozen with healthy discounts, generous incentives, & rebates. I don't NEED a car right now. I'm certainly not going to overpay for one. I've been closely monitoring the oil in our Pilot and it has been perfect.

I've also been thinking about my truck a lot lately. The payment ($324.99) is quite nice. It doesn't hurt to extend the lease 6 months and revisit things in March.

That is a nice, sound approach. Not necessarily the favored approach of a CCBA’er :smile:

I never stop window shopping but we won’t be making a move till the end of the year. Let this craziness play itself out. While I hate to miss out on the crazy used prices, the lack of inventory and new prices make it a zero sum game. Plus we (read my wife) need to decide what we really want.

I wouldn’t hesitate to extend your truck. That’s such a good deal on a nice, functional vehicle that you have come to love, or at least like!