Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    abacomike said:

Finally got the car back and all is well. Made a connect call to Genesis and it worked perfectly. I tried roadside assistance and that worked. So now I get to enjoy my new car. 🤓😇

Congratulations, Mike, that is indeed great news!
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

If you need a government agency to tell you not to put gasoline in a plastic bag you need your head examined.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.
    I was thinking the same thing, a lot of that gas is not going into any tank.
    What are you thinking here, evaporated or spilled?

The following is taken directly from the OSHA web site:

The general requirements for the handling and use of flammable and combustible liquids such as a gasoline are set forth in 29 CFR 1926.152(a):

(1) Only approved containers and portable tanks shall be used for storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids. Approved safety cans or Department of Transportation approved containers shall be used for the handling and use of flammable liquids in quantities of 5 gallons or less...[Emphasis added.]
    What are the odds that if you showed those guide lines to that nitwit she wouldn’t be able to read it?

jmonroe

I'll bet you are all missing the point. She has it covered!

There's a snap on lid for that large tub. That will make it safe.

If I recall, the 5 gal or less can into which the gas is put at the pump needs to be RED and labeled as gasoline. At least I think that's the rule here in Ohio.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    I would have liked to see the lady pick up that plastic bin after she filled it up.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.
    Oh. Wow indeed. What’s with those pants?
    Spandex is back. I noticed my last visits to Walmart, the level of modesty has gone DOWN and the amount of spandex has gone UP.

abacomike said:

Finally got the car back and all is well. Made a connect call to Genesis and it worked perfectly. I tried roadside assistance and that worked. So now I get to enjoy my new car. 🤓😇

I'm glad that saga is over. Gotta be a great relief for you.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

bwia said:

Whoopty doo! Happy days are here again. I just received my Massachusetts de minimis income tax refund in the amount of $145. This is the first state income tax refund I've received in years. Don't know when the Federal refund will be deposited to my account but it should include the 2020 stimulus checks that we are yet to receive. :p

How many stimulus checks did you miss? My wife and younger son got all three, I missed out on the 2nd ($600), and my older son didn’t get any. Fortunately, there’s a line on the tax return to get it back.
    Well, I missed both $600 checks and received one $1,400 deposit. Apparently, all is not lost because today I received a letter from President Joe R. Biden, Jr. (no kidding) informing me that I should receive a $1,400 stimulus check within 7 business days of receiving his letter dated May 6th. Sweet!
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    abacomike said:

Now you can wait for the old lady with a shopping cart to run into you. :s

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    I’m thinking Chinese space junk busts the moonroof.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    bwia said:

bwia said:

Whoopty doo! Happy days are here again. I just received my Massachusetts de minimis income tax refund in the amount of $145. This is the first state income tax refund I've received in years. Don't know when the Federal refund will be deposited to my account but it should include the 2020 stimulus checks that we are yet to receive. :p

How many stimulus checks did you miss? My wife and younger son got all three, I missed out on the 2nd ($600), and my older son didn’t get any. Fortunately, there’s a line on the tax return to get it back.
    Well, I missed both $600 checks and received one $1,400 deposit. Apparently, all is not lost because today I received a letter from President Joe R. Biden, Jr. (no kidding) informing me that I should receive a $1,400 stimulus check within 7 business days of receiving his letter dated May 6th. Sweet!
    My younger son just got the same letter for a deposit that was made weeks ago. Joe must be running behind writing letters to a couple hundred million people.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

abacomike said:

Good for you. Now you will wake up with a smiley face. B)
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.
    Spandex is back. I noticed my last visits to Walmart, the level of modesty has gone DOWN and the amount of spandex has gone UP.
    I saw a news byte just this morning, the upshot being that people are preparing to get back out into the world because sales of Spanx have peaked over the last month.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Now you can wait for the old lady with a shopping cart to run into you. :s

I don’t shop at that grocery store anymore - I go to one in a “young” neighborhood about 3 miles north of me. I stay away from those old ladies after surviving several altercations with them.

2021 Genesis G90

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.

The general requirements for the handling and use of flammable and combustible liquids such as a gasoline are set forth in 29 CFR 1926.152(a):

(1) Only approved containers and portable tanks shall be used for storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids. Approved safety cans or Department of Transportation approved containers shall be used for the handling and use of flammable liquids in quantities of 5 gallons or less...[Emphasis added.]
    What are the odds that if you showed those guide lines to that nitwit she wouldn’t be able to read it?

jmonroe
    I'll bet you are all missing the point. She has it covered!

There's a snap on lid for that large tub. That will make it safe.

If I recall, the 5 gal or less can into which the gas is put at the pump needs to be RED and labeled as gasoline. At least I think that's the rule here in Ohio.

The tub and it's snap on lid is designed for dry goods not holding liquids. That lid won't stay on if that gas starts swishing around.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

edited May 2021

@bwia said:

I just got a call from Genesis Corporate and they are setting up a compensation package for me in the amount of $1036.45 which is equal to my monthly payment on the car. Once I sign the paperwork and return it to them, they will send out a check to me for my inconvenience. That is a nice gesture on their part.😜🤪🤓

By the way, the radio replacement + labor was $7700. Amazing!

Update: Just got the email from Genesis Corporate - signed the letter of agreement to provide me with compensation for one month's payment in the amount of $1036.68 and I pulled up a copy of my monthly statement and took photos of both - attached the photos to the return email to an email and already received a notification that they received the documents. Mercedes and BMW and Lexus never did anything like this when they gave me trouble with the 740i and the E400 and the GS350. At least they are doing their best to ensure customer satisfaction with consumer relations.

2021 Genesis G90

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited May 2021
    Wow Mike, Hyundai/Genesis really stepped up their game for you in the way they handled your situation - this was impressive to say the least and much better than most of the luxury car companies would have been.

@imidazol97 said:

Where have you been? It’s been back. Women live in leggings and sports attire these days. My wife must have 30 different Under Armour/Pink outfits.

@abacomike said:

@bwia said:

I just got a call from Genesis Corporate and they are setting up a compensation package for me in the amount of $1036.45 which is equal to my monthly payment on the car. Once I sign the paperwork and return it to them, they will send out a check to me for my inconvenience. That is a nice gesture on their part.😜🤪🤓

By the way, the radio replacement + labor was $7700. Amazing!

They did you right! Glad it’s all taken care of.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    driver100 said:

Top Gear.....who wins the race....a new Tesla 3 with 440 hp, a BMW M3, Giulia QV (Extended -whatever that is), MB C63. Interesting comments at the end....maybe I'll change my mind about EVs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8R7kZGvAUk

I'm kind of ... confused?... at why he took off like my wife from a stoplight in the Alfa but launched the Tesla enough to point the nose to the air. That alone probably would have made up the half sec difference.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.
    That is terrible! Where exactly is that Walmart?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

edited May 2021
    driver100 said:

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.

Re: spandex, he’s talking at Walmart, so maybe you don’t want to know.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    tjc78 said:

If you need a government agency to tell you not to put gasoline in a plastic bag you need your head examined.

And you should also not be allowed to breed.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

carnaught said:

Wow Mike, Hyundai/Genesis really stepped up their game for you in the way they handled your situation - this was impressive to say the least and much better than most of the luxury car companies would have been.

You are correct, carnaught. By the way, how's he new BMW doing?

2021 Genesis G90

carnaught said:

driver100 said:

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.

Re: spandex, he’s talking at Walmart, so maybe you don’t want to know.

Oh yeh, I forgot about that part.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    fintail said:

CPSC even had to issue guidance:

It's not a random suggestion:

jmonroe1 said:

henryn said:

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.

jmonroe

I can’t help but think most of this fluff is made for the internet. I’d hate to think these people are in the voting both next to me on election days. Just can’t be can it?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

tifighter said:

fintail said:

Oh. Wow.
    Those are her gas filling pants that shrunk from spills the last time she tried hoarding gas.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@roadburner said:

Unfortunately we have "Idiocracy" in the making.

@jmonroe1 said:
    I can’t help but think most of this fluff is made for the internet. I’d hate to think these people are in the voting both next to me on election days. Just can’t be can it?

jmonroe

Even if it is just people doing it for the internet it's still a very stupid thing to do. I mean what to you do once your filming is done and you have two gallons of gas in a plastic bag?

edited May 2021

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Even if it is just people doing it for the internet it's still a very stupid thing to do. I mean what to you do once your filming is done and you have two gallons of gas in a plastic bag?

Pour it into your tub so you can put it in the trunk.

Am I remembering correctly that long ago someone in a van had put a tub of gasoline inside the vehicle so the gas could gravity feed to the carburetor on the engine since the fuel pump wasn't working. Didn't the van catch on fire from the fumes? This was when the engines were protruding back into the passenger compartment and under a cover.

@jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

Do you really expect people who do this stuff, whether for real or an internet stunt, takes the time to think ahead?

jmonroe

In St. Lucia, petrol is USD $4.15 a gallon. That's a steep price for our less affluent Caribbean neighbors. Yet they are willing and able to pay these confiscatory prices.
    North Americans may grovel but I believe they will willingly pay north of $5.00 a gallon for regular gas to fill their big and inefficient SUVs. And that may bring an end to the SUV craze and usher in electrified vehicles in a big way.
    In the meantime, EV auto makers are drooling over themselves hoping to sell sub- $30k EVs. At this juncture the Chevy Bolt looks like a strong candidate if you can find one.

I assume St. Lucia is fairly small, and the average car only does a few thousand miles a year at most? And I assume is smaller and more fuel efficient? So total fuel cost, or even per mile, could be a lot cheaper.

I would like to see a smaller and much cheaper EV with good range. Since it would be a second car for around town use, spending "real" EV money makes no sense.

as to the bolt, I never got over to the chevy dealer when there were rumored killer lease deals on them (something like $1,700 one payment). That I would have jumped all over! so next time something like that appears on a Bolt or Hyundai electric (or a Leaf, etc.) I would be all in on it.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504

It's not in the making. It exists.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

@roadburner said:

I have lost count of how many times per day this comes to mind...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    I suspect it's real, remember the Carlin skit about stupid people.

Also, politics over the past 30-40 years. If anything, with social media, the stupid gap is widening.
    jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

edited May 2021
    abacomike said:

carnaught said:

You are correct, carnaught. By the way, how's he new BMW doing?
    Enjoying the BMW Mike, thanks. Handles well and entertaining to drive with a bonus of a combined 34 mpg.

@fintail said:
    I suspect it's real, remember the Carlin skit about stupid people.

Also, politics over the past 30-40 years. If anything, with social media, the stupid gap is widening.

Social media brings out the stupid in people IMO.

Our campground has a FB page for the seasonals like us. The amount of stupid questions and comments that get posted blow my mind. There were 50 comments yesterday about a simple post that electric bills are read by the 1st and due by the 15th. You can call the office or stop in the store to pay. After the 15th you pay a late fee. It doesn’t get much simpler... yet people would ask the same questions over and over. Mind you, the way they do it has been for years with zero change.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    Battery powered vehicles still suffer major distance limitations in cold weather.
    A friend had a Bolt and it would meet or exceed the 270 mile when weather was temperate, but in cold weather range would be depleted by 40%. He said he never use the cabin heater, just heated seats and maybe steering wheel.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

Battery powered vehicles still suffer major distance limitations in cold weather.
    A friend had a Bolt and it would meet or exceed the 270 mile when weather was temperate, but in cold weather range would be depleted by 40%. He said he never use the cabin heater, just heated seats and maybe steering wheel.

.......and that is the problem for me....at least one of them. An extra thing to think about or to plan around. I'll wait until there is a 400 to 500 mile range, and batteries can be swapped out in under 3 minutes.
    Battery swapping is a great concept but might never happen, big problems with a battery coming out easily every time (corrosion, mud, rust etc), and all batteries would have to be the same one.

@driver100 said:
    .......and that is the problem for me....at least one of them. An extra thing to think about or to plan around. I'll wait until there is a 400 to 500 mile range, and batteries can be swapped out in under 3 minutes.
    Battery swapping is a great concept but might never happen, big problems with a battery coming out easily every time (corrosion, mud, rust etc), and all batteries would have to be the same one.

Tesla had a battery swap system that was really fast, the problem was that it would require a big investment by the place that would do a swap. The big players in the motorcycle industry are coming together to have a standardized battery to make swap outs easier.

@explorerx4 said:

This makes perfect sense. Our golf cart batteries drain really quickly when it’s cool out. I’d suspect at least 30-40%. In the summer I can get
    the whole weekend on a charge, in the early spring and fall I have to charge it each day.

I think super fast chargers are more likely. If you can get a lot of charge in 20 minutes, why pay more to spend at least that getting a different battery?

driver100 said:

Consumer Reports, in February 2019, published the results of an experiment that it did on the impact of cold weather on EV battery range. And the verdict? Cold weather affects both ICE and BEV propulsion systems negatively. Duh. By the way, battery technology has improved since 2018. The partial solution to the problem is to keep your EV plugged in overnight so the battery will be warm first thing in the morning. The biggest cold weather battery loss is within the first 30 minutes of driving off. With a warm battery, that loss is negligible.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/buying-an-electric-car-for-a-cold-climate-double-down-on-range/
    I saw this quote as one of several sent to my wife from a card club member.
    I got a snicker out of it, so I'm sharing it.

~ Prince Philip...
    When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife.

What will these folks do with their gas in tubs and in plastic bags now that the gasoline is
    flowing in the 45% of the daily amount that was shut down?
    I can just see her dipping gasoline from the tub and pouring it into the funnel into the tank--bet she doesn't even have a funnel...
    Or they might just pour it down the drain.

Those are the things I can’t and WON’T put up with. If the car has a feature and I want to use it, I’m using it when I want to use it. Do I really need the 400 + HP that my Genny has for every day driving, NO? But when I want to get around slow pokes, I want to get around them...like NOW.

jmonroe

What will these folks do with their gas in tubs and in plastic bags now that the gasoline is
    flowing in the 45% of the daily amount that was shut down?
    I can just see her dipping gasoline from the tub and pouring it into the funnel into the tank--bet she doesn't even have a funnel...
    Or they might just pour it down the drain.

Not on your life. Those people would never throw away a drop of gas. They’re also the type that would drive three counties away to save a penny on a gallon. Nope, they’d make stew from it but never throw it away.

jmonroe

@stickguy said:
    I think super fast chargers are more likely. If you can get a lot of charge in 20 minutes, why pay more to spend at least that getting a different battery?

Several years ago Tesla did a demonstration showing the battery swap being faster than filling up a gas tank. The issue with fast chargers is you can only charge a car as fast as the infrastructure can deliver power.

@imidazol97 said:
    I saw this quote as one of several sent to my wife from a card club member.
    I got a snicker out of it, so I'm sharing it.

~ Prince Philip...
    When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife.

Back in college I got the boyfriends of my girlfriend friends in trouble. They saw me opening the door for my girlfriend and got mad when their boyfriends wouldn't do it for them.