Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788

au1994 said:

Or, perish the thought, monitor it weekly and if it doesn’t consume any oil in 30-45 days, just keep it.

I’ll see myself out now.

A car that comes up 5 quarts short between oil changes but now doesn’t use any? That sounds like the fault lies somewhere other than the engine.
    Loose nut behind the wheel. :(

:D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    henryn said:

Okay, gentlemen, here you go. A Passat wagon, complete with V6 and 5 speed manual transmission. And very cheap!

Only problem? It's 17 years old, with 235k miles.

https://www.gillmansubaru.com/used/Volkswagen/2004-Volkswagen-Passat-houston-tx-561b94840a0e0a1710ad6907e94c0489.htm

And from the "you'll be lucky to come away with your shirt!" generation. No thanks. :disappointed:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    stickguy said:

at my age and stage of life, I have zero interest in owning or driving something that old and used up. I deserve better!

Well, deserve it or not, you're definitely going to *get* something better!
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    au1994 said:

Or, perish the thought, monitor it weekly and if it doesn’t consume any oil in 30-45 days, just keep it.
    I’ll see myself out now.

It's not like this has never happened before, in all of the history of mankind and automobiles, I'm sure it's happened quite a few times. Happened to me once, back in the late 1970's. I had a rotary engine Mazda, and one day it was nearly dry of oil. Took several quarts just to get it on the dipstick. It never did it again, and I never trusted it again.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

@xwesx said:
    A friend of mine just took delivery of his 2021 Tesla Y. Long range, dual motor in blue over black.
    He let us come over and check it out last night, then gave my son and me an hour-long tour of the touchscreen system and various vehicle features.... We did not, however, go anywhere, so no comments on performance. I can definitely see the appeal of these, particularly to the younger crowd! A few notes:* The glass roof is incredible. Incredible!

• The floor in the back seats is flat, or nearly so. Wow! I told my friend that this was worth the price of entry all by itself! I could not believe how much that opened up leg room back there. It was minivanish in its foot comfort.

• The cargo area, while not very tall due to the steeply raked hatch, has very thoughtful space usage. It is definitely more roomy there than one would think just looking from the outside.

• The features on the touchscreen? Unreal! Quite impressive in terms of the thought that has gone into that. The HVAC direction controls are just visual swipes, and there's both a pet mode (for leaving animals in the car while you shop or whatever) and a camping mode (when you're that animal).

• No overhead grab handles. NONE! I hated that... Definitely a long-distance downer for me.

Overall, though, the takeaway for me was that I really want to get an electric car! I should probably get to work on finishing my house so I have a garage for it. :D

As we were just discussing how cold weather affects battery range... I can’t imagine how bad it would get in an Alaskan winter!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited May 2021
    qbrozen said:

As we were just discussing how cold weather affects battery range... I can’t imagine how bad it would get in an Alaskan winter!

Not really that bad, TBH. It affects the batteries much the same way that ICE economy gets affected (about 25-30%). The big difference can be heating the cabin of the vehicle, if the driver wants it toasty warm inside.

Hopefully my friend's Tesla will give some good anecdotal information on that front over the next several years!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    well, having a heated garage should help immensely.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933

@stickguy said:
    well, having a heated garage should help immensely.

Sure. It was nice going TO work. It was coming home at night in 20 degrees that was MISERABLE!!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    henryn said:

au1994 said:

I’ll see myself out now.

It's not like this has never happened before, in all of the history of mankind and automobiles, I'm sure it's happened quite a few times. Happened to me once, back in the late 1970's. I had a rotary engine Mazda, and one day it was nearly dry of oil. Took several quarts just to get it on the dipstick. It never did it again, and I never trusted it again.

Even the modern ones were famous for that.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    xwesx said:

A friend of mine just took delivery of his 2021 Tesla Y. Long range, dual motor in blue over black.
    He let us come over and check it out last night, then gave my son and me an hour-long tour of the touchscreen system and various vehicle features.... We did not, however, go anywhere, so no comments on performance. I can definitely see the appeal of these, particularly to the younger crowd! A few notes:

• The glass roof is incredible. *Incredible!*
    • The floor in the back seats is flat, or nearly so. Wow! I told my friend that this was worth the price of entry all by itself! I could not believe how much that opened up leg room back there. It was minivanish in its foot comfort.
    • The cargo area, while not very tall due to the steeply raked hatch, has very thoughtful space usage. It is definitely more roomy there than one would think just looking from the outside.
    • The features on the touchscreen? Unreal! Quite impressive in terms of the thought that has gone into that. The HVAC direction controls are just visual swipes, and there's both a pet mode (for leaving animals in the car while you shop or whatever) and a camping mode (when you're that animal).
    • No overhead grab handles. NONE! I hated that... Definitely a long-distance downer for me.
    Overall, though, the takeaway for me was that I really want to get an electric car! I should probably get to work on finishing my house so I have a garage for it. :D
    Sounds like ours.

You need to drive it.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Sometimes you DO learn something watching YouTube.

I just finished a recent Hoovie video where he is getting a new engine for his Corvette. He mentioned that the engine builder offered to stamp OEM part numbers so it would look like a numbers matching car. Even the car show judges wouldn’t be able to tell.

Much to his credit, Hoovie turned him down but you have to wonder, how many so-called matching numbers are out these which are fakes? It would seem that this trick would be harder to detect than Bondo in a fender.

Why would anyone pay more for matching numbers?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Only makes sense in terms of collectibility. Really no practical value IMO.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    The entire "matching numbers" and "correct" nonsense has really soured me on parts of the hobby, mostly the very high-end musclecar and Porsche stuff. It has lost much of its meaning.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I always figured if I finally get a toy it will be far from original. In good improved ways! Mainly because I want to use it, not keep in bubble wrap and trailer to car shows. Plus I’m too cheap to pony up for a desirable collectible. Clones and mild resto mods are fine by me!

Having a garage sale so finally seeing the 2nd garage spot reappear. Goal is by next weekend to have everything out of there and reorganized. Which will make me sad seeing an open parking spot and not having a car to put in it. Making it to year end is going to be hard!

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

@stickguy said:
    Having a garage sale so finally seeing the 2nd garage spot reappear. Goal is by next weekend to have everything out of there and reorganized. Which will make me sad seeing an open parking spot and not having a car to put in it. Making it to year end is going to be hard!

With the prices the way they are, it may not be too hard.

I was poking around LH and even the broker deals aren’t that great. Sure there are still bargains, but not as plentiful.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    Are you one of those people who has $200 worth of yard sale leftovers in the garage while 50K worth of vehicles sit exposed to the elements? Seems to be a thing in this region anyway, even in areas where there's winter.
    stickguy said:

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    fintail said:

Are you one of those people who has $200 worth of yard sale leftovers in the garage while 50K worth of vehicles sit exposed to the elements? Seems to be a thing in this region anyway, even in areas where there's winter.

stickguy said:

Like that all over my neighborhood.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    henryn said:

Okay, gentlemen, here you go. A Passat wagon, complete with V6 and 5 speed manual transmission. And very cheap!

Only problem? It's 17 years old, with 235k miles.

https://www.gillmansubaru.com/used/Volkswagen/2004-Volkswagen-Passat-houston-tx-561b94840a0e0a1710ad6907e94c0489.htm

Woof

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

@tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

With the prices the way they are, it may not be too hard.

I was poking around LH and even the broker deals aren’t that great. Sure there are still bargains, but not as plentiful.

One broker posted that some of the dealerships he works with are going to not do broker deals due to the lack of inventory.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

It is barely in the MB world, usually on the more rare cars, and I think having a non-matching engine isn't a serious deduction - effectively meaningless on a more common car. I am fine with that. I just want to drive it, having a different engine or incorrect but functional fitting isn't important to me.
    ab348 said:

The entire "matching numbers" and "correct" nonsense has really soured me on parts of the hobby, mostly the very high-end musclecar and Porsche stuff. It has lost much of its meaning.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    ab348 said:

The BMW community hasn't fallen prey to the matching number obsession to any great degree. The pre-war cars and ultra-low production models might be affected, but even then it's relatively rare.
    I always loved the 1973 Corvette with the smooth nose and split bumper ducktail. I'd pick one up without matching numbers and put in a Chevrolet Performance crate motor, beef up the suspension and brakes, and beat on it like a red-headed stepchild at track events.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

tjc78 said:

I feel like the outsider in our new home due to the fact I’m the only one on our small block that religiously parks both in the garage.

Most don’t park in theirs at all and my neighbor parks the Infiniti in but leaves the Jetta out.

I don’t get it. These aren’t small houses and if your efficient with storage you can cram a lot into a garage while still fitting the cars.

In my county we are seeing criminals from Louisville driving stolen cars filled with 3-4 juveniles(since Kentucky law on juvenile criminals now essentially mandates catch and release). They drive through neighborhoods late at night and the juveniles run up driveways and try the doors on all cars the parked outside.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Thankfully our 2 car garage is a somewhat larger than most which provides some storage room. I do park the Q5 and VW in the garage. Unfortunately the TL stays outside unless my wife is on a trip and then the TL gets love and is parked in the garage too. If I had a 3 car garage...one can dream. We are thinking about moving at some point to get out of a neighborhood and onto a larger property and more rural setting.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited May 2021
    stickguy said:

" not having a car to put in it "
    I think you've come to the right place to fix that problem. LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited May 2021

tjc78 said:

I feel like the outsider in our new home due to the fact I’m the only one on our small block that religiously parks both in the garage.

Most don’t park in theirs at all and my neighbor parks the Infiniti in but leaves the Jetta out.

I don’t get it. These aren’t small houses and if your efficient with storage you can cram a lot into a garage while still fitting the cars.

In my county we are seeing criminals from Louisville driving stolen cars filled with 3-4 juveniles(since Kentucky law on juvenile criminals now essentially mandates catch and release). They drive through neighborhoods late at night and the juveniles run up driveways and try the doors on all cars the parked outside.
    Here's a case of group criminality that didn't end well, for the 4 teens at least. Sad karma.
    This is near WPAF Base.
    https://www.wdtn.com/news/local-news/attempted-carjacking-ends-with-3-dead-1-in-custody-in-riverside/

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

fintail said:

What do you mean, "exposed to the elements"? I have a carport!

On a more serious note, one of the new houses recently built in my neighborhood, almost across the street from me, has a very strange garage. The walls are cinder block, with air gaps. Yes, you read that right, air gaps. The entire front is a mesh screen, the kind you sometimes see in really big parking garages. There are two separate mesh screens, each with a remote controlled motor to pull the screen back - kind of like a submarine net in old war movies. And they keep both of their cars in the garage when not in use, full time. But the cars are still covered in tree pollen in the spring, and the Sahara dust in the summertime. And when it gets cold (rare but does happen), the cars are cold when you go out in the morning. Which makes me wonder why not just have a carport?

edited May 2021

Here's a case of group criminality that didn't end well, for the 4 teens at least. Sad karma.
    This is near WPAF Base.
    https://www.wdtn.com/news/local-news/attempted-carjacking-ends-with-3-dead-1-in-custody-in-riverside/

The saddest thing is that the victim will likely be sued for chasing the punks.
    Several years ago two brothers tried to carjack a guy at a local mall. The guy turned out to be gangbanger waiting for his girlfriend to get off work. He put 15 9mm rounds into one guy and his brother ran his car into a light stanchion trying to avoid being ventilated in a similar fashion.

Maybe to keep local cats and critters etc out? Although bugs can probably get in, and I know Houston haas plenty of those.

My mom is one of those, garage full of junk, uses the carport - which I boot her car out of when I visit. Fintail would need to be covered in a carport at the very least, or the elements would dissolve it sooner or later. I have a garage at home, but as I have changed employers since covid, my new office does not have a garage, unlike my old place of work. More reason to hope for continued WFH.
    henryn said:

fintail said:

What do you mean, "exposed to the elements"? I have a carport!

On a more serious note, one of the new houses recently built in my neighborhood, almost across the street from me, has a very strange garage. The walls are cinder block, with air gaps. Yes, you read that right, air gaps. The entire front is a mesh screen, the kind you sometimes see in really big parking garages. There are two separate mesh screens, each with a remote controlled motor to pull the screen back - kind of like a submarine net in old war movies. And they keep both of their cars in the garage when not in use, full time. But the cars are still covered in tree pollen in the spring, and the Sahara dust in the summertime. And when it gets cold (rare but does happen), the cars are cold when you go out in the morning. Which makes me wonder why not just have a carport?

fintail said:

It is barely in the MB world, usually on the more rare cars, and I think having a non-matching engine isn't a serious deduction - effectively meaningless on a more common car. I am fine with that. I just want to drive it, having a different engine or incorrect but functional fitting isn't important to me.

ab348 said:

Nor me but if you watch the auctions and high end car shows you’ll see that somebody cares a whole lot if prices are any indication.

Stupid games, stupid prizes, etc. Sad indeed.

tjc78 said:

This is near WPAF Base.

The wingadinga/jorts with tucked in t-shirt and white sneakers crowd definitely wants matching numbers on their 427 Corvette or 396 Chevelle and will pay up for it.

fintail said:

ab348 said:

Nor me but if you watch the auctions and high end car shows you’ll see that somebody cares a whole lot if prices are any indication.

tjc78 said:

This is near WPAF Base.

tjc78 said:

This is near WPAF Base.

The saddest thing is that the victim will likely be sued for chasing the punks.
    Several years ago two brothers tried to carjack a guy at a local mall. The guy turned out to be gangbanger waiting for his girlfriend to get off work. He put 15 9mm rounds into one guy and his brother ran his car into a light stanchion trying to avoid being ventilated in a similar fashion.
    I think I remember telling how a fancy BMW loaded with teens was pulled over right in front of our work vehicle by a dozen police guns drawn. I never thought about it at the time but it could have been a carjacking rather than just grabbing a car running in front of the coffee shop.

If one of the kids had started shooting I wonder if our van full of old guys would have gotten ventilated too.

edited May 2021
    I spent a little time today on craigslist, looking at older trucks, Ford and Chevy, 2000 to 2009. Prices are about the same as what I remember from the last time I looked, around 5 years ago. Which is not bad really, considering the present craziness. I also checked Suburbans and Tahoes from the same range. Just as before, the price differential goes up from Suburbans (cheapest) to Tahoes to pickup trucks. A new Tahoe costs considerably more than a new pickup, but 15 years later, not so.

And it’s possible to find a Suburban or Tahoe being sold by the original owner, with maintenance records. I didn’t find a single pickup which fit that category.

On edit: how roomy is the driver position on a 2010 or 2011 Pilot? I've never been in one. Headroom, legroom, thigh room?
    my cars always parked inside. Only short times one needed to be out. If having a garage sale, just a few days to stage everything and then deal with the remnants. Or of course, my daughter was in the middle of one of her many moving events and I temporarily had possession of all her stuff.

since I only have 1 car at the moment, I am fine with the wife storing stuff on the spare side if it means I can finally get some of the crap out of the house! right now, most of the stuff didn't sell (sale was a dud) but she has stuff up on the local marketplace or give it away FB page. if it isn't sold or claimed by next week, it's going to goodwill.

also have some boxes of the daughters stuff that we will bring up to her later in the summer after she moves to a bigger apartment. and if she doesn't want it, she needs to either dispose of it or I have to find a corner of the basement for her crap too.

speaking of parking outside, a few years ago some single guy bought the house across from me (4 bedroom colonial, 2 car garage. no idea why he needed something so big). His sister lives with him. They have a new beetle, and a MB GLC. Almost always parked outside. I sometimes see in the garage when the door is up, and they are empty. After seeing a few attempts in the winter of him trying to get the GLC in there (or even up the driveway) I finally realized it wasn't prioritizing junk, it's being afraid to try getting it in the garage without ripping off the mirrors!

The bug sometimes parks in there. But if you can't get that car in a normal garage space, you probably should not be driving at all.

tjc78 said:

@fintail said:

The wingadinga/jorts with tucked in t-shirt and white sneakers crowd definitely wants matching numbers on their 427 Corvette or 396 Chevelle and will pay up for it.

Ha ha. This represents 60% of the guys at any car show. When they start arguing if the wrong tape is used on the wiring harness you know you’ve arrived.

sounds like an episode of Graveyard Cars.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Cribbed from Cars and Convos:
    Greetings, all!
    For those who purchased new plugins, did you receive the Fed tax credit? If so, did you have to supply any "proof" with your return, e.g. a letter from the manufacturer/dealer certifying your purchase of an eligible vehicle? Looking ahead to my '21 return for the A7 PHEV. I'll research, but I find most of the knowledge of the universe is contained in this (or CCBA) forum...

I'm so looking forward to 2 car garage next year (with a 240v outlet!), now that Spring done sprung, the neighborhood sprinklers are running. You know what that's doing to my (very) dark blue car on those most frequent nights when the wife's silver CX-5 is enjoying the garage!

Appreciate any input on the Fed tax credit submission.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

did you end up having the builder install the charging station (or I guess at least the outlet) for you?

one thing about my current house. If I do get a plug in EV, the electric panel for the house is in the garage, just inside the door of my side (the left as you look up the driveway). So if the charging point is on the driver's side rear flank, I really just need an outlet installed about a foot from the box and a 3' cord from that to the car! Or the charging station, however that works. Should be cheap and easy!

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    That's one of the things I miss about my old house with the 24 x 24' attached garage... The 200A electrical panel was in the garage, so adding a charger, inside or out, would have been trivial.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    corvette said:

That's one of the things I miss about my old house with the 24 x 24' attached garage... The 200A electrical panel was in the garage, so adding a charger, inside or out, would have been trivial.

That’s the size of our garage and the electrical panel is on the back wall far right. One thing I did right when we built the house was to have a dedicated circuit for the fridge and added additional electrical wall outlets. The builder only included one wall outlet.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

My house was built in 2005 to HUD standards, which means there are electrical outlets and natural gas hookups for pretty much everything. Hot water heater, clothes dryer, cook stove, etc. I have a natural gas clothes dryer, so there is an unused 30 amp 220V outlet right there in the garage.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

@corvette said:

Yeah if I went electric it would be an hour job to add a 220 charging plug with the panel in the garage.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    We visit the "design center" (or as I call it, "The burning ring of fire" ) in June/July to begin spec'ing out the upgrades she'll want. At that time, I'll ask if the builder can install the 240v/50a outlet in the garage; based upon answer and price I'll move forward from there.
    But, not sure I need a charging station, too. The Audi came with a charging cord that has an adapter for a 240v outlet. I believe that I can simply use that. But, a charging station would add convenience. Initially, if I do go charging station, I wouldn't hard wire it, just hang it and plug it in to receptacle. If we move, gives me the option of taking it with me.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I have no clue how that tech works. If the car controls the charging, or the box. But if the cord can plug right into the outlet, should be cheaper!