Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @snakeweasel …I owed. That’s why I waited to the last day to mail them. I know the IRS is…well…the IRS. But, if my returns are considered late, even though I sent them on time. And, I have to pay a fine, my guess is I’m not the only one affected. Just fired off a letter to both my Senator and Congressman to let them know what is going on. Not sure they know, or if they even care!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited May 2021
    henryn said:

Complaints do no good whatsoever. It's amazing that FedEx and UPS never have this problem, just USPS.

I never in my life had these kinds of problems with the USPS until I moved here in 2011. And the neighborhood is gentrifying, going upscale, but the postal service steadily declines, so it's probably not just this neighborhood.

FED Ex and UPS also have delivery problems. UPS delivered a hard drive to my next door neighbor's home a few years back. FED X regularly leaves my packages at 107027 instead of 107072 Imid Drive. I have gotten the packages for those at the reversed address as well.

As for the USPS, the old time workers who, for the most part, cared, have rapidly retired. The replacements are the youngsters with little sense of duty. I have returned 3 items in the last 8 weeks that were in my mailbox #0069. All were addressed to different PO Boxes (at least they were in the same post office building, LOL). Two years ago my replacement Shell credit cards didn't show up. Weeks later, they were in my PO Box. I asked the guy (now retired) who cared. He said some groups have boxes that they check only once a month, clubs, etc.. So they just found my cards that had been sitting in their box in error.

The USPS has been trying to cut costs within the bounds the Govt will let them. Stuff started working toward efficiency in an earlier admin are blamed on the current admin, e.g.. We went through a reduction of sorting and all our mail goes to Columbus for sorting and then comes back to the Dayton star series of post offices. It used to be sorted in Dayton until 10 years ago or so.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Tax envelopes? I always leave off the postage and have the clerk weigh them to be sure they're under weight and in proper size envelopes since there's an extra charge for some over size envelopes. The clerk weighs, stamps, and post marks with a hand stamp. Done. Plus I get a dated receipt.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    I do that too Imid.

And congress knows. They are a big root cause of the problem. Even before last years intentional destruction.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    edited May 2021
    stickguy said:

If they will up the rate to $25/hour I might consider it as a semi-retirement gig.

Sorry, they’ll only pay you what some other old coot standing in line behind you will work for. I hear they will pay $25/hr. on Fantasy Island though. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

Hmm.. wonder if this is true.

I seriously doubt that those batteries are “draining toxins” into the ground. But, if I was an oil company or a gas station owner, I’d say the same thing.

jmonroe
    Astute observation. I agree. That said, there are companies growing by leaps and bounds who are recycling car batteries. They’ve always been around as ALL cars have batteries in one form or another. Their business is exploding, now.

Can’t attest to France’s recycling efforts, or even if this story is true. What is true is they’re recyclable….from the metal to the batteries. Based on the condition of those cars in the pic, it’s no wonder they’re worth less than the cost to repair. They look pretty used up. No mention of their actual value as scrap, though.

And, as we all know, there comes a point when any car has no useful life left; where it costs more to repair the car than the car is worth. Sounds like these cars in Paris have found that point.

I doubt anyone here has anything in their fleet that has reached that point, though. ;)
    Speak for yourself. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923

stickguy said:

If they will up the rate to $25/hour I might consider it as a semi-retirement gig.

Sorry, they’ll only pay you what some other old coot standing in line behind you will work for. I hear they will pay $25/hr. On Fantasy Island though. :D
    Sure enough. I mean, even $15/hr is a helluva lot of penny whistles and moonpies, ya know?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    edited May 2021
    Put up the last pair of shutter. Installing the outside top screws was scary.
    I guess attaching images isn't working so well.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    henryn said:

RANT du ‘jour…..the guy running the Post Office has been the target of the troubles we’ve seen over the last year or so as to its disfunction. As an aside, I went to the post office to get my picture taken for my Passport Renewal. I had noted longer lines over the past 12-18 months, and I’ve also noticed a lot of turnover at my local post office. Where there used to be people I knew by name working there, it’s been a carousel of unfamiliar faces the last year and a half.

Anyway, was talking to the postal agent who was taking my picture to send to the State Dept with my application for my Passport renewal. Making small talk, I mentioned that the crowd must be for tax day, and that I was glad I had put mine in my mailbox so the local postal worker would have it to be postmarked on MAy 17th. She said not to be surprised if I get a letter from the IRS asking for penalties because my Tax forms weren’t postmarked on May 17th.

I went into a mini neurotic fit. I asked how that could be? She said they had shifted away automated sorting, and timely postal processing and delivery so they could do hand processing. What?

The result of this idiocy, if you even take a letter to the post office in the a.m., on any given day, it may or may not be postmarked as mailed THAT DAY!

The Postmaster General can’t be fired, relieved of his duties, kicked to the curb, whatever they can do to him, fast enough.

I don't know whether the post office has fallen apart, or it's just the neighborhood that I live in. But around here, the USPS sucks, big time. Half of the normal mail (envelopes) should have went to my neighbors on the same block. Half of the packages should have gone to the same street number one block over. Complaints do no good whatsoever. It's amazing that FedEx and UPS never have this problem, just USPS.

I never in my life had these kinds of problems with the USPS until I moved here in 2011. And the neighborhood is gentrifying, going upscale, but the postal service steadily declines, so it's probably not just this neighborhood.
    Mail service is fine around here but a recent dividend check did go missing. The replacement was ok though.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Weren't you able to renew through the mail? I swear I did mine that way last time. On another note, DeJoy is corrupt trash.

RANT du ‘jour…..the guy running the Post Office has been the target of the troubles we’ve seen over the last year or so as to its disfunction. As an aside, I went to the post office to get my picture taken for my Passport Renewal. I had noted longer lines over the past 12-18 months, and I’ve also noticed a lot of turnover at my local post office. Where there used to be people I knew by name working there, it’s been a carousel of unfamiliar faces the last year and a half.

Anyway, was talking to the postal agent who was taking my picture to send to the State Dept with my application for my Passport renewal. Making small talk, I mentioned that the crowd must be for tax day, and that I was glad I had put mine in my mailbox so the local postal worker would have it to be postmarked on MAy 17th. She said not to be surprised if I get a letter from the IRS asking for penalties because my Tax forms weren’t postmarked on May 17th.

I went into a mini neurotic fit. I asked how that could be? She said they had shifted away automated sorting, and timely postal processing and delivery so they could do hand processing. What?

The result of this idiocy, if you even take a letter to the post office in the a.m., on any given day, it may or may not be postmarked as mailed THAT DAY!

The Postmaster General can’t be fired, relieved of his duties, kicked to the curb, whatever they can do to him, fast enough.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

Put up the last pair of shutter. Installing the outside top screws was scary.
    I guess attaching images isn't working so well.

Let's see if it will work for me ...
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

I seriously doubt that those batteries are “draining toxins” into the ground. But, if I was an oil company or a gas station owner, I’d say the same thing.

jmonroe
    Astute observation. I agree. That said, there are companies growing by leaps and bounds who are recycling car batteries. They’ve always been around as ALL cars have batteries in one form or another. Their business is exploding, now.

Can’t attest to France’s recycling efforts, or even if this story is true. What is true is they’re recyclable….from the metal to the batteries. Based on the condition of those cars in the pic, it’s no wonder they’re worth less than the cost to repair. They look pretty used up. No mention of their actual value as scrap, though.

And, as we all know, there comes a point when any car has no useful life left; where it costs more to repair the car than the car is worth. Sounds like these cars in Paris have found that point.

I doubt anyone here has anything in their fleet that has reached that point, though. ;)
    Speak for yourself. ;)
    @oldfarmer50....I thought of you. But, you're a welcomed fixture here, so did not want to belittle your fleet that is more.....ummmmm.....vintage and well worn! ;)
    fintail said:

Weren't you able to renew through the mail? I swear I did mine that way last time. On another note, DeJoy is corrupt trash.

Not sure what "renew through the mail" is. But, I am unaware of that option through the IRS (or the State for that matter).

And, I agree about DeJoy. What a corrupt and worthless public servant. Whatever we're paying him, we should demand that money be returned, with interest.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,869
    It's not difficult to fix the Post Office. Deliver mail 3 days a week. That way you only need a little more than half as many people. Even better, deliver mail on Wednesdays and get rid of the local Postmaster. They don't do anything anyway.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324

fintail said:

Not sure what "renew through the mail" is. But, I am unaware of that option through the IRS (or the State for that matter).

And, I agree about DeJoy. What a corrupt and worthless public servant. Whatever we're paying him, we should demand that money be returned, with interest.
    In most cases if you are renewing you only have to send in the application with your new passport photo, old passport and the fee. That's what I did this spring to get mine renewed.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

venture said:

It's not difficult to fix the Post Office. Deliver mail 3 days a week. That way you only need a little more than half as many people. Even better, deliver mail on Wednesdays and get rid of the local Postmaster. They don't do anything anyway.

One word "e-mail"

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,533
    stickguy said:

I do my own but have just normal stuff. If I had complicated investments, rental property, or an LLC I would hire a pro.

I'm a professional cheat. ;)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

jmonroe1 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe

Speak for yourself. ;)
    @oldfarmer50....I thought of you. But, you're a welcomed fixture here, so did not want to belittle your fleet that is more.....ummmmm.....vintage and well worn! ;)
    Feel free to belittle, I do all the time. ;)

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Maybe I misunderstood. Passport renewal. I got a pic at Costco or a local photo shop (I forget) and just mailed it all in, a few weeks later, had my new passport, but this was in 2017, I think.

Check out DeJoy's history, par for the course in the relatively recent timeline.

fintail said:

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Laurasdad, worked for the post office in Boca Raton for 31 years and lived there by the university from 1977 to 1981. Did some graduate work at FAU and our two girls went to college there, living on campus. Have lived just one town south of Boca since 1987 and am in Boca for work on most work days. Like two times today. Nice place to visit...and live.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited May 2021
    Post Office delivers a lot of mail for a small cost compared to UPS and FedEx. They should skip Saturday delivery (and Sunday). Last I recall when that was brought up, it was congress (who cares which one) that quashed the idea. I just read that liquor delivery is being proposed.

Amazon used USPS for delivery for a while, and that included Sunday delivery, at a loss to USPS. Now AMZ has its own delivery fleet specialized toward their style of delivery.

Despite having misdirected deliveries that I listed earlier, the USPS still goes to every home and business, almost, every day. I'm watching a package that shipped Monday on Rockauto for an order placed Monday morning. It started in Winston-Salem NC and is already in Cincinnati's package distribution center. It is scheduled for Thursday delivery here in a suburban Dayton Post Office, but I suspect it may get to Dayton overnight tonight, Tuesday, and be delivered Wednesday. All for $6.99.

I believe we have a couple of retirees from the USPS in the group.

Been gone for a few days so missed al the goings on in here about what was probably the Covid and all that goes along with it. We've had both vaccines but I still wear a mask in public, maybe not necessary but I feel better.
    I for one, am glad we're where we're at and hoping that life gets back to a new normal going forward.
    My biggest concern now is this chip shortage as it's effecting our work schedule. New vehicles are coming in very slowly, and some days are busy while others are pretty slow which means quitting earlier with a smaller check.I prefer longer hours once I'm out of the house.
    Got the news today that I start my other gig at the Toyota store Saturday at 11. My hours will be Saturday & Monday from 12:30 to 6 which works out well. Am usually home these days/hours doing basically nothing so might as well earn a few more bucks. Have always wanted to be a shuttle driver but my cane has prevented me from this up to now. The two guys who interviewed me didn't seem to care about it but they were kind of blind sighted by it as I didn't mention it in my Indeed.com resume as I feel it's not important enough to mention it. Same situation at Enterprise as they didn't seem to care and it's proved to not be an issue yet. They wanted me all day Sunday also but said working 6 days wasn't going to happen, let me do the two or I can't take the job. they took me anyways but this morning, asked again if I could do some more hours. Said let's start with the 11.5 and see how that goes. If things work out, I could see me going up to 15 or 16 hours/week which should be acceptable. But, keeping that under my hat for now because I want to see if it's really something I like or has the dream of doing it been more fun than the reality. We shall find out this coming Saturday at 11 am!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    fintail said:

You seem to achieved a "flag" on this post, much as I did when I commented on the efficiency of the government in general.

Welcome aboard.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,961
    I feel for our postal carriers. They are driving 30 year old vehicles and have to cover larger areas. Our area is experiencing tremendous growth and I doubt the carriers are getting additional support. It is not unusual that we get mail after 7pm.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

The postal service has declined since I worked there, it's much worse now. but I get a decent pension for my 31 years of service, and when I pass, the wife will get half. But if she goes first, I still get the same. Got out at the right time, 11 years ago, though it wasn't my choice. Our class action lawsuit is still winding it's way through the courts, and there's an excellent chance that we're going to win. And we should, by the way!
    As for tax prep, I sleep next to my preparer so I know I'm getting very good service. She also works for TurboTax during the season plus is required to take classes during the year. And she's completely honest, a real black & white individual. I let folks know that upfront, just so they understand. I myself, are a gray area person on certain things, but believe if I'm making money, I should pay the appropriate taxes on that gain. Always better to make something and pay the taxes than not make it at all I'd wager.

When I got my postal job back in 1980, my folks were super upset that their son was going to be a blue collar worker. My in-laws were thrilled because like me, they got it that on retirement, I'd be getting a federal pension, a pension with a COLA attached to it. And that if I passed first, my spouse would get half. But, I was thrilled to finally stop taking money from my folks to continue on in an education I didn't really want. G-d dropped the post office job at my feet and I was super glad. Never took a dime from the folks again, though they were more generous with my siblings then myself because of what I did. What can I say, dysfunction and a lot of $ can only turn out badly for some. But I never looked back, never asked for another dime, which seemed to annoy them even more I suspect!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,961
    edited May 2021
    Oh the joys of home ownership. The ac for our upstairs bonus room where I now work from home is not working. It gets warm up there. I had the seasonal ac system check up already scheduled for today so I asked them to fix it. Turns out it is an electrical issue, a simple receptacle switch, essentially a toggle switch that needs to be replaced and they can’t do it. Luckily I was able to schedule an electrician for tomorrow.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Funny how the a/c always seems to go out in the summer time. A few years back, we started having issues the end of June and it totally died the end of July. South Florida in July is a very hot place to be and the house only got down to 80 at night which was rough. Within a day and a half, had a new unit installed with a high SEER rating for that time. It's been very trouble free, a York system, and we're very pleased with it. My wife thinks it's too cold actually at 78, so we keep it at 79 most days/nights. When we first got it installed, she asked the installer if he could make it blow a little warmer...he gave me a look that could kill! But he explained it to her very gently that that isn't something doable, it's supposed to blow cold air so it can moderate the inside temperature. But I knew exactly what he was thinking as she really had no idea how a closed a/c system really works.
    We've been in this house now almost 34 years, moved in July 2nd of 1987, and this is our 3rd a/c system, installed in 2019. Our first unit was a Carrier, excellent unit, and the second, a Rheem system, not as good. Wanted a Trane unit this time but they said the York and Goodman units were just as good but had larger rebates, so they let me decide as my wife fled to our daughters place to get out of the heat. I had to miss work and take care of it all, as usual!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341

fintail said:

You seem to achieved a "flag" on this post, much as I did when I commented on the efficiency of the government in general.

Welcome aboard.
    I earned one for criticizing Louisville's Mayor McBikelane and our equally feckless Governor...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited May 2021

We had our first jury orientation since February 2020. It was on Zoom, and it was a fiasco. The KY SC ordered judges to excuse anyone in high risk groups as well as anyone financially impacted by the pandemic. Needless to say, those two excuse were used as "Get out of jury duty free!' cards; 900 jurors were called in and 800 were excused.

My concern is being able to have a "jury of my peers." When broad bands of the population are excused from service on IMHO flimsy excuses of being scared by the media hype, I wouldn't be getting a jury of my peers.

OTOH, I recall when I got my last jury notice. I got them about every 9 months it seemed. I decided I couldn't effectively serve if selected because I make frequent restroom visits. I have trouble hearing softer than average talk when there's background noise (yes, I've looked into hearing assists--still looking). I also have trouble with dumb people. My doctor, who knows me very well, made clear she thought I was the type of person with STEM and logic background who should be on a jury. I thought she wasn't going to sign, but She finally signed the excuse paper.

Many of the jury notices came but I never had to show up for a cattle call--the cases must have been settled before a trial. But The one jury call where I had to show up, I was 2 away from being seated in the jury box. I wanted to avoid being selected. The defendant in late 20s was guilty and a career criminal, in my judgement from his body language and his behavior during the jury questioning. I could have voted without holding the trial.

I was able to glance at his notepad lying on the defenant's table while leaving for a break during jury candidate questioning. I forget what I saw but that confirmed my earlier body language impression of the guy. I was able to get excused because lawyers saw I really didn't want to be on and I had a connection with a policeman as a friend through my son's science olympiad activities.

I'm permanently excused due to age, physical factors.
    If you are judging him based on his body language and behavior you shouldn't be on a jury, you should listen to the facts presented and make an objective decision based on facts.
    When I was learning about personality types, there are just some that rely more upon the way people look and react than on what they actually say. Sometimes employers even give these kinds of tests when you pass the first or 2nd round of filtering for interviews and applications. I remember the test consisted of faces and recordings and/or faces and you read a statement supposedly made by the person depicted graphically.
    You had to select what you thought was the "best" answer and sometimes the emotions shown IMO didn't match the words stated. So you had to decide which you felt was "stronger" evidence.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited May 2021
    Every time I get a jury summons I remember one particular female judge in El Cajon who was the absolute worst I've run into in Traffic Circles, and I've run into some real doozies!
    Her image and words come back to me, the mistreatment and disrespect shown to my "case" and I have to put in "AX TO GRIND" as an excuse to be removed from Jury trials. It's me being honest.
    If it wasn't for this one particular judge I'd probably have never used that excuse. The other bad Traffic Court judges fall in line with my already "LOW" expectations, so no surprises there.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

andres3 said:

I joined this forum on Edmunds just a couple of months before purchasing my '06 Audi A3 in Ocean Blue Pearl w/ Sport Package w/ DSG.
    It's been a good ride with Audi; 15 years of excellence.
    New Topic: Insurance still sucks.
    Now it's Health Insurance.
    Admittedly.... I don't have a lot of experience really NEEDING TO USE my health insurance, but I've probably been with Kaiser for 95% of my life. That's a lot of blue moons on the calendar. The first time I need to get a surgery, it seems it's taking 1/2 year to get it. I got bumped since my procedure apparently isn't important enough. Does anyone find it odd that they can blame COVID for not offering better service and appointment time frames, yet don't return any premiums? They can't really blame Covid since March of this year though. How many months of additional premiums must you submit before you can actually collect an "insurance" benefit in health. SHEESHH. Do you know how much my employer and I contribute over the course of 6 months. Based on that huge dollar amount, I'd say it's unreasonable for Kaiser to have kept me waiting this long. After all, isn't "waiting forever" supposed to the the "CON" of single payer healthcare? Let me chalk up health insurance to just another insurance I'm sorely disappointed in for value.

Supposedly the CDC put forth a directive that hospitals put off any unnecessary or elective surgery until after the pandemic so that hospitals don't get overwhelmed by the expected number of Covid cases (which never was near the amount they expected). Look at it this way, if you cannot use it now then you're not that bad off health wise. That being said I have had no issue using my health insurance for routine stuff with my doctor.
    I guess for balance I should have mentioned that for normal routine stuff Kaiser's been very good. They were particularly great with my wife and even more so my daughter when she was born. That's the reason I seek out and select Kaiser over other Health Insurances. They had some amazing nurses.

It just sucks being bumped because everyone and everything was scheduled, from family help visiting to my employment schedule. I'm told I should take the week after off. It seems like such a routine thing to have less than urgent surgeries "bumped" that someone actually forewarned me it might happen before it did happen.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,895

@snakeweasel said:
    In most cases if you are renewing you only have to send in the application with your new passport photo, old passport and the fee. That's what I did this spring to get mine renewed.

Exactly what we did. I even followed the instructions and took the pics at home. For the kids we had the pictures taken at the post office.

Strange processing times. The kids we sent out a month before ours. My son’s came back first then mine, my wife’s is in transit but my daughters is still processing. So weird. You would think the kids both would have arrived before mine or my my wife’s.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

When I got my postal job back in 1980, my folks were super upset that their son was going to be a blue collar worker. My in-laws were thrilled because like me, they got it that on retirement, I'd be getting a federal pension, a pension with a COLA attached to it. And that if I passed first, my spouse would get half. But, I was thrilled to finally stop taking money from my folks to continue on in an education I didn't really want. G-d dropped the post office job at my feet and I was super glad. Never took a dime from the folks again, though they were more generous with my siblings then myself because of what I did. What can I say, dysfunction and a lot of $ can only turn out badly for some. But I never looked back, never asked for another dime, which seemed to annoy them even more I suspect!

Back in 1983 when I got out of the service my sister who was a rural route carrier in Colorado said that she could get me a job as a sub on a few routes which could have led to a full time position.

andres3 said:

We had our first jury orientation since February 2020. It was on Zoom, and it was a fiasco. The KY SC ordered judges to excuse anyone in high risk groups as well as anyone financially impacted by the pandemic. Needless to say, those two excuse were used as "Get out of jury duty free!' cards; 900 jurors were called in and 800 were excused.

My concern is being able to have a "jury of my peers." When broad bands of the population are excused from service on IMHO flimsy excuses of being scared by the media hype, I wouldn't be getting a jury of my peers.

OTOH, I recall when I got my last jury notice. I got them about every 9 months it seemed. I decided I couldn't effectively serve if selected because I make frequent restroom visits. I have trouble hearing softer than average talk when there's background noise (yes, I've looked into hearing assists--still looking). I also have trouble with dumb people. My doctor, who knows me very well, made clear she thought I was the type of person with STEM and logic background who should be on a jury. I thought she wasn't going to sign, but She finally signed the excuse paper.

Many of the jury notices came but I never had to show up for a cattle call--the cases must have been settled before a trial. But The one jury call where I had to show up, I was 2 away from being seated in the jury box. I wanted to avoid being selected. The defendant in late 20s was guilty and a career criminal, in my judgement from his body language and his behavior during the jury questioning. I could have voted without holding the trial.

I was able to glance at his notepad lying on the defenant's table while leaving for a break during jury candidate questioning. I forget what I saw but that confirmed my earlier body language impression of the guy. I was able to get excused because lawyers saw I really didn't want to be on and I had a connection with a policeman as a friend through my son's science olympiad activities.

I'm permanently excused due to age, physical factors.
    If you are judging him based on his body language and behavior you shouldn't be on a jury, you should listen to the facts presented and make an objective decision based on facts.
    When I was learning about personality types, there are just some that rely more upon the way people look and react than on what they actually say. Sometimes employers even give these kinds of tests when you pass the first or 2nd round of filtering for interviews and applications. I remember the test consisted of faces and recordings and/or faces and you read a statement supposedly made by the person depicted graphically.
    You had to select what you thought was the "best" answer and sometimes the emotions shown IMO didn't match the words stated. So you had to decide which you felt was "stronger" evidence.
    The problem with how people look and react to things is that it is purely subjective and that the way someone reacts to a certain situation can vary from person to person. We are all different with different personalities and can react differently to the same situation depending on that personality and past experiences. That's why it is important to look at the facts and make an objective decision based on facts only.

I have to say that our local post office is great. Our mail carrier goes above and beyond.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527

Post Office delivers a lot of mail for a small cost compared to UPS and FedEx. They should skip Saturday delivery (and Sunday). Last I recall when that was brought up, it was congress (who cares which one) that quashed the idea. I just read that liquor delivery is being proposed.

Amazon used USPS for delivery for a while, and that included Sunday delivery, at a loss to USPS. Now AMZ has its own delivery fleet specialized toward their style of delivery.

Despite having misdirected deliveries that I listed earlier, the USPS still goes to every home and business, almost, every day. I'm watching a package that shipped Monday on Rockauto for an order placed Monday morning. It started in Winston-Salem NC and is already in Cincinnati's package distribution center. It is scheduled for Thursday delivery here in a suburban Dayton Post Office, but I suspect it may get to Dayton overnight tonight, Tuesday, and be delivered Wednesday. All for $6.99.

I believe we have a couple of retirees from the USPS in the group.

FedEx (and UPS) both have big contracts to transport US Mail by air.
    FedEx has a division named SmartPost that uses the USPS for "last mile" deliveries. That's been a good partnership for both. (for at least the last 20 years)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2021
    kyfdx said:

FedEx (and UPS) both have big contracts to transport US Mail by air.
    FedEx has a division named SmartPost that uses the USPS for "last mile" deliveries. That's been a good partnership for both. (for at least the last 20 years)

We've had SmartPost items that do come in a timely fashion with the USPS doing the final step.

My spark plugs ordered thru Rockauto that started in Winston Salem are arriving today. The network of routes for the trucks (contractors?) have been honed through the last several years for efficiency. Starting at Winston Salem, 4 hours to Charleston WVa. 4 hours to Cincinnati regional hub (at CVG airport? I'm guessing). Overnight to Dayton and arrived at local PO at 7:12 am today. Out for delivery. Amazing the tracking allows almost real time following.

Also amazing is Informed Delivery that photographs and sends me pictures of all regular mail that is sorted at the Columbus hub for both addresses we use. And it's usually in one of our mailboxes the same day.

I'd question how the mail in Cincy area is sorted by the description of the desk clerk given to @graphicguy. I'd think the whole area goes to a center just like western and central Ohio goes to Columbus for overnight sorting and back to the local PO unit.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I got my IRS tax refund today, about nine days after electronic filing. The amount was $112 more than I expected so I have to assume the difference is perhaps due to interest added to my refund. While it would be nice to get an explanation for the overpayment I think it would be wise to remain silent and enjoy that largesse as a Father's Day gift.
    bwia said:

I got my IRS tax refund today, about nine days after electronic filing. The amount was $112 more than I expected so I have to assume the difference is perhaps due to interest added to my refund. While it would be nice to get an explanation for the overpayment I think it would be wise to remain silent and enjoy that largesse as a Father's Day gift.

I think you'll get a letter eventually and a 1099 INT next January for the tax on the interest. I did for 2020 that I just filed.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527

bwia said:

I think you'll get a letter eventually and a 1099 INT next January for the tax on the interest. I did for 2020 that I just filed.
    But, why would you get interest on a refund that comes 9 days after filing?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I hit all the traffic lights right driving the Clubman to work today; corrected for the onboard computer’s optimism it actually works out to 49.8 mpg.

I have to say that our local post office is great. Our mail carrier goes above and beyond.

Same here. My local post office has been wonderful, regardless of personnel turnover recently. It’s quick, convenient and my particular mail carrier is cheerful and helpful whenever I greet him at my mailbox to ask him something, or give him a package to take to the Post Office.

The fact that they are now less automated in mail sorting and seemingly/purposefully being hindered is what irks me. And, for what? How can hand sorting be less expensive and quicker than machine sorting?

Whatever this Post Master General is doing, he’s doing it all wrong. Plus, he’s clearly way out of his element considering his testimony last year. How he got the job is beyond me, because he should be removed from it as quickly as possible.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

fintail said:

Welcome aboard.
    It was probably a Russian Hacker. Go to the store, buy a $1000 VISA card, mail it to Box 55555, Toronto Canada, and I will have my people look into it and have that flag removed.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

I hit all the traffic lights right driving the Clubman to work today; corrected for the onboard computer’s optimism it actually works out to 49.8 mpg.

Either number is impressive but why does BMW feel the need to have the car lie to you? Do they feel that owners have such fragile egos that they need some puffed up bragging rights? Personally, I’d rather have a car that says “your gas mileage sucks, lay off the gas” :)

driver100 said:

fintail said:

Welcome aboard.
    It was probably a Russian Hacker. Go to the store, buy a $1000 VISA card, mail it to Box 55555, Toronto Canada, and I will have my people look into it and have that flag removed.
    It’s funny, I looked at my record and I have one strike for “spam”. What is that exactly? Did I tell another member that his car warranty was about to expire? How does that differ from “abuse” which sounds a whole lot nastier?

@oldfarmer50: You can go into the service menu and adjust the calculation, but it doesn’t bother me that much. Apparently the pendulum has now swung in the opposite direction; the average mpg numbers in the X1 and 2 Series are pessimistic by 4-5 percent.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    Farmer, it’s pretty easy to flag by accident. So that could be it. Or someone was having a cranky day! Maybe you were hustling veggies or something?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

There have been quite a few posts relating to the USPS lately. I have no complaints nor do I have kudos for the system - it is what it is - an over budget, over worked government subsidiary/agency that has suffered greatly as a result of electronic mail and billing/banking. Ads that used to be mailed are now emailed to users and show up on the web when you surf.

My mail carrier delivers our mail after 4:00 PM 6 days a week. So I don’t check my mail until the next morning. 5 out of 6 days a week I have no mail in my box because all bills and statements are electronically sent to me and all my bills and statements are paid electronically. I have a page of “forever” stamps I bought over a year ago and have used just one stamp out of 24 stamps on the page.

Thus, the reason the USPS is losing money every year is due directly to a significant drop in first class mail. I don’t even send birthday or Christmas/Hanukkah cards anymore. I just deposit money into my kids and grandkids checking accounts at my local Wells Fargo bank, which the entire family uses for their checking accounts, and send electronic holiday and birthday cards to them.

So blaming the USPS for slow or lost mail or packages does not solve the problems they face. I don’t see a solution to the issues facing the USPS - they cannot solve their problems but ending Saturday deliveries would certainly help reduce budget deficits - not completely - but every little bit helps. 🤓

2021 Genesis G90

edited May 2021

Agree.
    I wonder if the exit of many of the older, experienced folks lies with the union at USPS and the retirement plan, which may be generous. Just like at GM and Ford. If there's trouble in the company, the retirement funds may be at risk so payouts may be reduced other than a few exceptions. Or pensions revert to the government plan for retirement plans in default and that means reduced payout.

I agree that skipping Saturday delivery and maybe even Wednesday delivery, could be a good cost saver.