Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

I decided to wash and detail the M235i today; at 7 years and 61k miles I think it still looks pretty good.

That is indeed a fine looking car, and a very nice job of detailing. Are you available for any freelance work? B)

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,194

@venture said:
    No front plates in Pennsylvania. I never heard of that.

Parking is usually regulated at the municipal level, not state. Only place I recall a requirement for head-in parking was at the University of Illinois. Now IL is a front plate state, but U of I parking stickers were displayed in the rear window.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    sda said:

Not sure why but I didn’t think your car was white or had a sunroof. Looks great.
    Thanks! White is not my favorite color and I wish it was a sunroof delete car, but it was a CPO at a great price and it was nicely optioned. And in January 2016 the M235i models were thin on the ground- especially RWD cars.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,137
    edited May 2021
    I should have prefaced that with standard of resolution - I think an standard 2011 E-class has a clearer display than many current model cars. The auto-dipping side view mirror introduced maybe even before 2000 is a nice feature, too. One thing that may irk some, I think the E anyway didn't get guide lines until maybe 2013/14, at least in this market.

Surround view is a fine thing , a couple of my cars have had it, including the current one. Maybe Infiniti was the pioneer there? Also fun to select the view you want for the main screen, so you can look down at the curb from a mirror, out from the front bumper, etc.
    qbrozen said:

@fintail said:

MB set the standard for backup cameras - the resolution on some 2011 models is better than some new cars in 2021.

I disagree... with an asterisk. The standard SHOULD have been set in 2008 by Infiniti with their 360 surround backup cam. That thing is a marvel. Sadly, it did/has not become as widespread as it should, so I can’t call it “the standard.”

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

@andres3 said:

The problem is that apparently you can be targeted, aimed at, and rammed into deliberately in a parking lot if you "back out" no matter how slowly, and you will be found 100% at fault as you are "backing" and do not have the right of way. Those two facts are apparently good for 1,000% full-proof tightness with insurance.

Can't you also be targeted and rammed into pulling out forward? And wouldn't still be your fault?

Not necessarily. First, you can go out faster, quicker, and more swiftly going forward. It's much easier to see and control going fast forward. Also, you have additional gears to actually "go fast" should you need to dodge an incoming bogey.
    Secondly, going "backwards" does put you at a disadvantage liability wise. It is assumed the person going backwards has the greater duty of care, and the person going forward is just driving "normally." It's pretty much the same hard and fast rule that rear-ending someone always makes you at fault. It's an insurance thing.
    Lastly... who's driving down a parking lot aisle in a straight line using their right of way in reverse? No one! LOL. That's what people going forward do. Very very very tough to pin blame on someone going forward if you were going backward. It's even Steven if you are both backing up or both going forward.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

@andres3 said:

Backing into parking spaces is far safer than going in front first, inherently, and automatically. There's no way around his fact, just as passing on the left is safer than passing on the right in drive right, pass left Countries.

One main reason is you are going forward with a clear view into the "unknown" when you move forward out of a parking space. When you are backing out of a parking space, your view is restricted, you are going into the "unknown" and you DO NOT have the right of way. When you back into a parking space, you are backing into the "KNOWN" (that being an empty space) with the right of way to that space.

GIGANTIC HUGE DIFFERENCE. Admittedly it took me years and a lot of thought to finally realize this. Hope I explained it well.

Yeah tell that to the person who almost hit me trying to back into a parking space I was occupying.

There's no fixing stupid and incompetent ineptitude. Still, people hitting the adjacent parked car while backing out of a parking space is very common.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    ronsteve said:

@venture said:

Parking is usually regulated at the municipal level, not state. Only place I recall a requirement for head-in parking was at the University of Illinois. Now IL is a front plate state, but U of I parking stickers were displayed in the rear window.

You mean a university wants everyone to act like little sheep and all park the same way....what happened to freedom of thought?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

fintail said:

I think I've heard of that. Funny that they'd lose the front plate probably for some "freedom" reason, then some would require restrictive parking to accommodate it. Or it could just be a ploy to call tow trucks and have the offender removed, with a $300 fee of course.

fintail said:

I don't think there are any objective ways to defend mandated front-first parking, other than some level of irresponsible control-happy micromanagement. I suspect the odds are much greater to have an incident backing out than backing in or pulling away moving forward. I always back in or pull through so I am facing out, I also tend to park out in the sticks away from the riff-raff.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

“ I just read that another sedan will be axed. 2021 last year for the Mazda 6. Also the Mazda CX3”

What is the world coming to? It won’t be long before we’ll have nothing but boxy SUVs to choose from. It’s the story of my life that if I like a product, the manufacturer will kill it faster than a jack rabbit. TV programs too. If my wife and I start watching a show they yank it off the air. I guess I’m no longer in a desirable demographic.

There should be a law that SUVs should have glass sides on them. I had to park between 2 SUVs in 2 separate spots today...in both cases I was parked with the front end out, in both cases I had to leave my parking spot very slowly because I couldn't see past the SUV on either side of me.
    2 solutions....1) if my car had a periscope that came out of the grill, OR 2) if the SUVs were required to have mirrors I could look at to see up and down the aisles.
    Or you could pull in face first like you’re supposed to do. I worked at a place where that was the law and you’d lose your parking lot privileges for a month if you backed in or pulled through. I can’t believe that people either back in or pull through a spot so they are facing the aisle at grocery stores and anywhere else for that matter when you know damn well you’re going to buy something and put it in the trunk. I try not to pull into a spot when I see that because I don’t want these nitwits banging into my front bumper trying to finagle a cart to get to their trunk. That is one of my biggest pet peeves.

A backup camera with a wide view is perfect for seeing around cars on either side when you pull in face first and have to back out. It ain’t like you’re driving your fathers Oldsmobile today. Wake up, there are some things today that are better given that there are too many beast mobiles in the world that you have to see around in parking lots.

Rant over.

jmonroe
    We smarter more refined people prefer to back in;
    “Needless to say, back-in parking takes more time and effort than head-in parking. Yet, it is easier, quicker, and safer when exiting. Thus we may conjecture that people take the trouble to back in demonstrate the ability to delay gratification; they want to invest more time and effort now so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor later. They demonstrate a culture of long-term orientation.”
    Every article I see on the topic says it is a little more work in the beginning, because instead of aiming your car into a spot it takes some skill to back in to a space usually between two cars. But, when you drive out you have a clear view of what is immediately within your field of vision and that is when accidents happen - when you back out....way more accidents.
    I know you will whine about grocery carts and how inconvenient it is for you but way more sources, including the AAA prefer going in backwards.
    https://www.vox.com/2016/8/1/11926596/safer-back-into-parking-spaces
    Don’t states with no front plate require that you don’t back into parking spots. I know Florida did that so that they could read the back plate.
    You got something against freedom?
    You got me thinking so I looked it up. These states don’t require a front plate:
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

Not all of them are redneck states.
    I hate front plates because they are unsightly and they make it easier on the revenue speed/red light cameras.
    Of course sheeple think that they are just wonderful.
    There is more chance of catching the bad guy if there is a front and rear license plate...maybe even doubles the chances!

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    venture said:

fintail said:

I don't think there are any objective ways to defend mandated front-first parking, other than some level of irresponsible control-happy micromanagement. I suspect the odds are much greater to have an incident backing out than backing in or pulling away moving forward. I always back in or pull through so I am facing out, I also tend to park out in the sticks away from the riff-raff.

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

“ I just read that another sedan will be axed. 2021 last year for the Mazda 6. Also the Mazda CX3”

What is the world coming to? It won’t be long before we’ll have nothing but boxy SUVs to choose from. It’s the story of my life that if I like a product, the manufacturer will kill it faster than a jack rabbit. TV programs too. If my wife and I start watching a show they yank it off the air. I guess I’m no longer in a desirable demographic.

There should be a law that SUVs should have glass sides on them. I had to park between 2 SUVs in 2 separate spots today...in both cases I was parked with the front end out, in both cases I had to leave my parking spot very slowly because I couldn't see past the SUV on either side of me.
    2 solutions....1) if my car had a periscope that came out of the grill, OR 2) if the SUVs were required to have mirrors I could look at to see up and down the aisles.
    Or you could pull in face first like you’re supposed to do. I worked at a place where that was the law and you’d lose your parking lot privileges for a month if you backed in or pulled through. I can’t believe that people either back in or pull through a spot so they are facing the aisle at grocery stores and anywhere else for that matter when you know damn well you’re going to buy something and put it in the trunk. I try not to pull into a spot when I see that because I don’t want these nitwits banging into my front bumper trying to finagle a cart to get to their trunk. That is one of my biggest pet peeves.

A backup camera with a wide view is perfect for seeing around cars on either side when you pull in face first and have to back out. It ain’t like you’re driving your fathers Oldsmobile today. Wake up, there are some things today that are better given that there are too many beast mobiles in the world that you have to see around in parking lots.

Rant over.

jmonroe
    “Needless to say, back-in parking takes more time and effort than head-in parking. Yet, it is easier, quicker, and safer when exiting. Thus we may conjecture that people take the trouble to back in demonstrate the ability to delay gratification; they want to invest more time and effort now so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor later. They demonstrate a culture of long-term orientation.”
    Every article I see on the topic says it is a little more work in the beginning, because instead of aiming your car into a spot it takes some skill to back in to a space usually between two cars. But, when you drive out you have a clear view of what is immediately within your field of vision and that is when accidents happen - when you back out....way more accidents.
    I know you will whine about grocery carts and how inconvenient it is for you but way more sources, including the AAA prefer going in backwards.
    Don’t states with no front plate require that you don’t back into parking spots. I know Florida did that so that they could read the back plate.
    NO front plates in OH, either. That’s pretty recent though. We have no requirements to back in or pull in front first. Matter of fact, those who back in to parking spaces (as I see at Costco) take way too long to park. Park and get the heck out of the way.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    henryn said:

fintail said:

I think I've heard of that. Funny that they'd lose the front plate probably for some "freedom" reason, then some would require restrictive parking to accommodate it. Or it could just be a ploy to call tow trucks and have the offender removed, with a $300 fee of course.

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    You got me thinking so I looked it up. These states don’t require a front plate:
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

No, not ALL of them are. But SOME of them definitely are. I'm not about to stick my neck out and say which ones...
    I resemble that remark! ;)
    @roadburner …..very, very sharp. Looking good!

venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    NO front plates in OH, either. That’s pretty recent though. We have no requirements to back in or pull in front first. Matter of fact, those who back in to parking spaces (as I see at Costco) take way too long to park. Park and get the heck out of the way.
    Personally, I have never been bothered by someone taking a bit of extra time to back in to a space at Costco....because I would rather have them do that than coming zooming out rear end first....and that makes me think of the ones who can even back out at the same time as the car opposite them is backing out....that doesn't happen if going in rear first.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    No issues with parking any direction at this very remote park near the Ohio river. A gravel road leads to it and dead-ends, and so the only way to turn around is to drive on the grass. Just my 2 cents, but I think almost all vehicles look better without a front license plate.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,541
    fintail said:

I should have prefaced that with standard of resolution - I think an standard 2011 E-class has a clearer display than many current model cars. The auto-dipping side view mirror introduced maybe even before 2000 is a nice feature, too. One thing that may irk some, I think the E anyway didn't get guide lines until maybe 2013/14, at least in this market.

Surround view is a fine thing , a couple of my cars have had it, including the current one. Maybe Infiniti was the pioneer there? Also fun to select the view you want for the main screen, so you can look down at the curb from a mirror, out from the front bumper, etc.

qbrozen said:

@fintail said:

MB set the standard for backup cameras - the resolution on some 2011 models is better than some new cars in 2021.

I disagree... with an asterisk. The standard SHOULD have been set in 2008 by Infiniti with their 360 surround backup cam. That thing is a marvel. Sadly, it did/has not become as widespread as it should, so I can’t call it “the standard.”

That front mirror thingy ain’t nearly as dumb as wanting a periscope there. :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    andres3 said:

@andres3 said:

The problem is that apparently you can be targeted, aimed at, and rammed into deliberately in a parking lot if you "back out" no matter how slowly, and you will be found 100% at fault as you are "backing" and do not have the right of way. Those two facts are apparently good for 1,000% full-proof tightness with insurance.

Can't you also be targeted and rammed into pulling out forward? And wouldn't still be your fault?

Not necessarily. First, you can go out faster, quicker, and more swiftly going forward. It's much easier to see and control going fast forward. Also, you have additional gears to actually "go fast" should you need to dodge an incoming bogey.
    Secondly, going "backwards" does put you at a disadvantage liability wise. It is assumed the person going backwards has the greater duty of care, and the person going forward is just driving "normally." It's pretty much the same hard and fast rule that rear-ending someone always makes you at fault. It's an insurance thing.
    Lastly... who's driving down a parking lot aisle in a straight line using their right of way in reverse? No one! LOL. That's what people going forward do. Very very very tough to pin blame on someone going forward if you were going backward. It's even Steven if you are both backing up or both going forward.

Actually the same rules apply. If someone wants to take the opportunity to commit insurance fraud as you're pulling out they are going to do it if your pulling out just as easily as if you're backing out. And in reality pulling out faster is more likely to get you into an accident since cross traffic will have less time and warning to avoid you.

Backing out doesn't put you at a disadvantage liability wise as your liability is the same regardless of if you are backing out or pulling out. Oh and if someone is going down the aisle backwards and you are pulling out of a space forward the person backing up has the right of way so the collision would be your fault if you are pulling out of a stall.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

andres3 said:

@andres3 said:

Backing into parking spaces is far safer than going in front first, inherently, and automatically. There's no way around his fact, just as passing on the left is safer than passing on the right in drive right, pass left Countries.

One main reason is you are going forward with a clear view into the "unknown" when you move forward out of a parking space. When you are backing out of a parking space, your view is restricted, you are going into the "unknown" and you DO NOT have the right of way. When you back into a parking space, you are backing into the "KNOWN" (that being an empty space) with the right of way to that space.

GIGANTIC HUGE DIFFERENCE. Admittedly it took me years and a lot of thought to finally realize this. Hope I explained it well.

Yeah tell that to the person who almost hit me trying to back into a parking space I was occupying.

There's no fixing stupid and incompetent ineptitude. Still, people hitting the adjacent parked car while backing out of a parking space is very common.

I wonder how common that is in relation to someone hitting the adjacent parker car while backing into a space.

driver100 said:

venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Personally, I have never been bothered by someone taking a bit of extra time to back in to a space at Costco....because I would rather have them do that than coming zooming out rear end first....and that makes me think of the ones who can even back out at the same time as the car opposite them is backing out....that doesn't happen if going in rear first.
    Doesn't backing your car into the spot at Costco make it harder to load your car?

driver100 said:

venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Doesn't backing your car into the spot at Costco make it harder to load your car?
    Depends....on whether it is a big shopping day or a small one. If it is a big day I usually go in frontwards to make it easier to load the trunk. If only a bag or two, all things being equal, I would back in - people can see what I am doing and I have a pretty clear view from all angles as I back in, then when it is time to go I have a nice clear view of the road in front....If I have a big SUV or wagon on either side I edge out slowly. If really blinded, I could put on the front and 360 camera.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @roadburner, OMG, do I see two pedals in your Bimmer?
    edited May 2021

@benjaminh said:
    No issues with parking any direction at this very remote park near the Ohio river. A gravel road leads to it and dead-ends, and so the only way to turn around is to drive on the grass. Just my 2 cents, but I think almost all vehicles look better without a front license plate.

Different then where I parked on the grass yesterday. There were hundreds if not a thousand or more and not one front plate.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    carnaught said:

I hope so! Driving a car with 1 pedal is a PITA and can be rather dangerous. ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ventureventure Member Posts: 2,872

venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    The only place I back in (most of the time) is at a baseball game, If you pull in, you may not get out for a while.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

venture said:

venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    The only place I back in (most of the time) is at a baseball game, If you pull in, you may not get out for a while.
    Good point...and that goes for other events, movies, plays, any sporting event...especially sporting event!
    I back into my garage because the physics would make it difficult to go in nose first. When I get to the road I of course look to the left and to the right....there is a big curve coming from the right side. Today I did my usual, look right - all clear, look left straight up the road - that is clear, then when I looked right again a car is coming unusually fast around the corner so I didn't proceed until he passed by, but I think he would have been hard to see if I was backing out....even with a camera as he would be out of view until almost the last minute.

henryn said:

I decided to wash and detail the M235i today; at 7 years and 61k miles I think it still looks pretty good.

That is indeed a fine looking car, and a very nice job of detailing. Are you available for any freelance work? B)

Thank you! I used BMW Car Wash Shampoo Concentrate, BMW Wheel Cleaner Gel, and Eagle One Wax As-U-Dry. It really turned out better than I expected. My wife gave me a Griot's Garage gift certificate for my birthday, so I'm going to try their Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax Spray.
    As for freelancing, my wife is expecting me to detail her car next...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

driver100 said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

I hate front plates because they are unsightly and they make it easier on the revenue speed/red light cameras.
    There is more chance of catching the bad guy if there is a front and rear license plate...maybe even doubles the chances!
    If I have to decide between a couple of scofflaws escaping and my car being defaced by a front plate, I'm afraid I'll have to side with my car's esthetics.

driver100 said:

venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Where’d you ever hear something like that? :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    sda said:

Not sure why but I didn’t think your car was white or had a sunroof. Looks great.
    Meh. It’s a white car so it can’t look “great” but it does look very good. My ‘15 Genny that wears an old mans charcoal grey pearl color looks pretty decent when it detailed. NOW, if you want to see something that could bring a tear to your eye after it all dolled up, that would be Mrs. j’s burgundy over beige Subie. B)

jmonroe
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,510
    all this backup talk, so when I went out to run some errands I backed into a parking spot in front of the haircut place. That is a tight lot so actually a lot easier getting out. Then at Bjs I backed in because I was getting a propane tank filled, so got it closer to where the tank is.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@carnaught said:

Yes; when I bought it there were only 6-7 M235i manuals in the US- and none were near me. I've been very impressed by the ZF 8HP; on the track in Sport mode it shifts exactly the way I would over 90% of the time.
    And I have to admit it's fun to be able to cruise around in Comfort mode but retain the ability to go into a hard-edged Sport mode by pushing a button and moving the gear selector into the Sport gate.

When I worked at BMW we were just getting 7 Series and 5 Series cars that could parallel and perpendicular park automatically. I had to demonstrate it to a few customers and owners and it was a bit nerve-wracking at first- but the cars never put a wheel wrong. It was just difficult for me to just sit there and let the car steer, brake, and shift between drive and reverse completely on its own.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

@stickguy said:
    all this backup talk, so when I went out to run some errands I backed into a parking spot in front of the haircut place. That is a tight lot so actually a lot easier getting out. Then at Bjs I backed in because I was getting a propane tank filled, so got it closer to where the tank is.

Which BJs? The one on 73? Curious if the old AC Moore store was taken over.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

driver100 said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

If I have to decide between a couple of scofflaws escaping and my car being defaced by a front plate, I'm afraid I'll have to side with my car's esthetics.
    Well, Police License Plate Readers don't just catch people who may ruin your nice wax job, they also pick up drivers with suspended licenses, drivers without insurance, drivers with old plates, stolen cars, people who haven't paid fines....and the scanner can read from the front, the rear and licenses to the side, about 1800 an hour. I don't think a front license plate detracts at all if it is designed properly. It is a very efficient way to keep the roads a little safer: 2 minute video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBClFEQQJk

I still remain thankful that KY doesn’t require a front plate.

For the record, the license doesn't make much difference esthetically speaking;

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    We had our GFI receptacle in the garage replaced in February as the buttons got stuck in it making it useless and some plugs in the bathroom wouldn't work. Once our company fixed that under the policy, noticed half the lights in our master closets and bath no longer worked. Another one of their guys came out but found it not covered, so we had to get an electrician to come and find the bad wire and fix it. All they knew for certain was that we had a bad wire somewhere. Wife knew of a good company and they came, spent about 4 hours in the attic and where ever and found it, fixed it and gave her a bill for $702. But h-ll, we needed those lights fixed so once must pay I guess. After almost 34 years here, things do crop up from time to time I guess.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

driver100 said:

venture said:

venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Good point...and that goes for other events, movies, plays, any sporting event...especially sporting event!
    I back into my garage because the physics would make it difficult to go in nose first. When I get to the road I of course look to the left and to the right....there is a big curve coming from the right side. Today I did my usual, look right - all clear, look left straight up the road - that is clear, then when I looked right again a car is coming unusually fast around the corner so I didn't proceed until he passed by, but I think he would have been hard to see if I was backing out....even with a camera as he would be out of view until almost the last minute.
    I remember you saying that before. I never said anything. I know a few here said they back into their garage too. If it's an attached or integral garage that may be a bad idea because of carbon monoxide.

stickguy said:

It's easier to back into a spot in a 90 degree parking area if the spaces are directly across from each other. You are able to line up the car with the space across from you. Basic design, but some places must stagger the spots to fill the space available for parking. Mrs. venture is tired of me complaining about it.

venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    I remember you saying that before. I never said anything. I know a few here said they back into their garage too. If it's an attached or integral garage that may be a bad idea because of carbon monoxide.
    It's attached, it is brick and stone, and I back in....but I don't leave the engine running coming or going. The car runs for 4 or 5 seconds at most with the door closed. The house has about 4 Carbon Monoxide detectors too.

I still remain thankful that KY doesn’t require a front plate.

Isn't it part of your sworn oath to catch the bad guys....that to me is more important than how pretty my front bumper looks. :p

edited May 2021
    I am not a fan of the surveillance state, but if a front plate helps solve a hit and run etc especially if against me, I am all for it. I look at it two other ways, too - don't be too offended that you are being tracked and observed by your plates, when dashcammers like myself are recording every drive we take, from the front and back, and we might just spot you on the road - you're always being recorded somewhere whether in public or private. Also, front plates have always been a thing where these cars are designed and (mostly) built, places that have a far more developed driving culture than on this side of the pond. If it works there, that's not a bad thing. In my experience, backing in isn't a problem there, either B)

Heck, on my old car, the local regulation is with vintage/YOM plates, you only need one, but I use them both, as they look cool.
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

Well, Police License Plate Readers don't just catch people who may ruin your nice wax job, they also pick up drivers with suspended licenses, drivers without insurance, drivers with old plates, stolen cars, people who haven't paid fines....and the scanner can read from the front, the rear and licenses to the side, about 1800 an hour. I don't think a front license plate detracts at all if it is designed properly. It is a very efficient way to keep the roads a little safer: 2 minute video
    I've had a couple of MBs that can "park itself", too. I am generally not into it - a little leery of the car messing up, but more, it is slow - I can usually parallel park much faster. I mostly avoid that though, as I perceive it has a higher chance of being bumped, I would rather walk an extra block or two.

When I worked at BMW we were just getting 7 Series and 5 Series cars that could parallel and perpendicular park automatically. I had to demonstrate it to a few customers and owners and it was a bit nerve-wracking at first- but the cars never put a wheel wrong. It was just difficult for me to just sit there and let the car steer, brake, and shift between drive and reverse completely on its own.

tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

Which BJs? The one on 73? Curious if the old AC Moore store was taken over.

that was the one. The old ACM store is still empty. Did not see anything going on to indicate that might change soon.

I don't even trust cruise control. No way I am going hands and feet off letting the car drive itself!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,982
    stickguy said:

I don't even trust cruise control. No way I am going hands and feet off letting the car drive itself!

If you ever took a road trip out west, you might reconsider that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited May 2021
    A few times as a kid or teenager when I'd look at old car ads or brochures I'd notice sometimes that they wouldn't include the front license plate. Since where I grew up in California there were front plates I thought the old car art was part of this fantasy world where the car existed without a front license, but that this wouldn't actually happen in the real world. But, of course, as mentioned that is the way things work in several states. What doesn't make sense to me in Kentucky is that we are required to actually replace the rear license plate every few years, which seems a waste. I mean a plate can last the life of the car, and that's the way thing still work in California as far as I know. So in KY we save by not having a front plate, whether that's a good idea or not I don't know, but then that savings is thrown away by making us replace the rear plate periodically.

And hey, am I the only one here who had a license plate collection as a kid? I got them at junk yards, garage sales, and who knows where else. When I was 13 or so my parents convinced me to throw the collection out when we moved.

Anyway, no front license needed for a 54 Pontiac—at least according to this brochure.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    in the NE corridor, it is very rare to be on an open road with no other traffic. I use it occasionally, but usually for short periods. most of my trips are 4-5 hours max, with a variety of road types, so no real need for it.

Self parking, that is too much to conceive of using.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    When I was a young man, that was a common site in road houses and honky-tonks. One wall (or more than one) covered in license plates. The older the better, the farther away the better.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,644
    fintail said:

I am not a fan of the surveillance state, but if a front plate helps solve a hit and run etc especially if against me, I am all for it. I look at it two other ways, too - don't be too offended that you are being tracked and observed by your plates, when dashcammers like myself are recording every drive we take, from the front and back, and we might just spot you on the road - you're always being recorded somewhere whether in public or private. Also, front plates have always been a thing where these cars are designed and (mostly) built, places that have a far more developed driving culture than on this side of the pond. If it works there, that's not a bad thing. In my experience, backing in isn't a problem there, either B)

Heck, on my old car, the local regulation is with vintage/YOM plates, you only need one, but I use them both, as they look cool.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Alabama
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    West Virginia

Speaking of your old car, I think Hoovie bought it’s cousin.
    https://youtu.be/UY6uKaehDyw

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

venture said:

driver100 said:

venture said:

venture said:

fintail said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

Rant over.

jmonroe
    Haven’t you noticed, the effects are showing.

jmonroe
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    The history channel is running a multipart series on the automobile.
    The Cars That Made America. And some other names.
    I've watched much of the 3 parts of the Cars That Made America.
    Lots of repetition between commercials, sort of like Judge Judy.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,