Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

Nothing is ever easy…

We have a vacation booked to Antigua in November. Get a notice from the airline that one of our flights moved back a day and no other flights available for the original departure date. Perfect.

So I jump to another airline to see what they had and not only were the times crappy (with connections) it was $3900! Ok.. so that’s out since we paid $1100 for what we have.

Then I call the resort. No availability for the room type we want (or anything similar) with the airline’s new schedule. We could have shortened a day but didn’t feel it was worth it since the trip already wasn’t a full week. I sat on everything and had called back with the wife to see what we could work out. New person on the line came up with a solution to stay one night in a similar category and then move to our original room the following day. Not a perfect solution but it works and we end up leaving two days sooner and returning two days earlier. For a minute I thought we would have to cancel the whole thing.

Also in the frustration category is we lost a week waiting for an appraisal on the property we have a contract on because some knucklehead flagged it as a refinance and not a new sale. Ugh.

All first world problems but a pain!

Rant over

@abacomike
    How did you make out.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    tjc78 said:

Awesome.

Since I am allergic to both nav systems and video games of any sort it is all Greek to me.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    driver100 said:

Today on the radio they were discussing...is it proper etiquette that if you see an EV all charged up at a charging station and if you need the charging station........should you remove the drivers charging connection and attach it to your car.
    Tesla owners called in and said only the owner can remove the charger from a Tesla, and an app will tell the owner when his car has been charged...about 34 minutes.
    Also some comments that using a super charger is harder on the battery and it will wear out faster if used.

So if the Tesla owner leaves his car plugged in a week after it’s fully charged and gets on a plane for Bermuda you have to walk home?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258

@tjc78 said:
    Nothing is ever easy…

We have a vacation booked to Antigua in November. Get a notice from the airline that one of our flights moved back a day and no other flights available for the original departure date. Perfect.

So I jump to another airline to see what they had and not only were the times crappy (with connections) it was $3900! Ok.. so that’s out since we paid $1100 for what we have.

Then I call the resort. No availability for the room type we want (or anything similar) with the airline’s new schedule. We could have shortened a day but didn’t feel it was worth it since the trip already wasn’t a full week. I sat on everything and had called back with the wife to see what we could work out. New person on the line came up with a solution to stay one night in a similar category and then move to our original room the following day. Not a perfect solution but it works and we end up leaving two days sooner and returning two days earlier. For a minute I thought we would have to cancel the whole thing.

Also in the frustration category is we lost a week waiting for an appraisal on the property we have a contract on because some knucklehead flagged it as a refinance and not a new sale. Ugh.

Rant over

@abacomike
    How did you make out.

Got there at 7:30 AM and got out of there at 11:00 AM. Have the disks of both imaging scans but won’t know the results until 24-48 hours because a radiologist has to write a report on his findings. He then forwards the results to my oncologist and my primary care physician. As soon as I hear something, I’ll post the results.

Thanks for asking:

Also thanks to all for your good wishes.

2021 Genesis G90

When my A7e is locked, the charging plug is also locked in the car's charging port. Of course, vandalism likely could separate it.
    I've also read superchargers are harder on batteries life. Audi recommends (like many) to only charge to 80% capacity for daily use, save 100% for longer trips.

I’ve read that there’s no universal charging stations yet. I was in Rutland VT yesterday and at a convince store I saw a row of 6 Tesla charging terminals. It seemed inconsiderate of other customers since there was only about 20 parking spaces total. A third of the parking lot was reserved for a small segment of car owners and it seemed even worse if other EV owners were excluded.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

ab348 said:
    Since I am allergic to both nav systems and video games of any sort it is all Greek to me.

I guess I’m not the only one.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Today on the radio they were discussing...is it proper etiquette that if you see an EV all charged up at a charging station and if you need the charging station........should you remove the drivers charging connection and attach it to your car. Tesla owners called in and said only the owner can remove the charger from a Tesla, and an app will tell the owner when his car has been charged...about 34 minutes. Also some comments that using a super charger is harder on the battery and it will wear out faster if used.

Easy solution, get a car with a gasoline engine. Gas stations have far more pumps and they fill up faster so they leave sooner freeing up pumps.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited August 2021
    On the other end of the spectrum, are Tesla owners IQ deficient, or what's wrong with these people:

https://kmph.com/news/local/mans-tesla-crashes-into-pole-using-smart-summon-valet-feature?fbclid=IwAR1eiidY5U4olbvp4JrkyM0t2F6-aqv0YLwF_vMmc4TrK0QMW1gWQhSxn9E

What part of liability and responsibility for using Beta Software for dangerous activities at your own risk do Tesla drivers/owners not understand? Is it hidden in the fine print? Is it not crystal clear as it is for me?

Funny thing is that I'm sure Tesla won't count this as a Self-Driving Computer at-fault collision and hence the misleading statistics that autonomous cars are out-performing humans. A low bar, mind you, but one I think computers have not crossed yet in unbiased believable statistics. Sure, cherry-picked statistics with about 10 caveats might show FSD tech beating human drivers, but I find those figures to be misleading at best.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975

driver100 said:

Today on the radio they were discussing...is it proper etiquette that if you see an EV all charged up at a charging station and if you need the charging station........should you remove the drivers charging connection and attach it to your car.
    Tesla owners called in and said only the owner can remove the charger from a Tesla, and an app will tell the owner when his car has been charged...about 34 minutes.
    Also some comments that using a super charger is harder on the battery and it will wear out faster if used.

So if the Tesla owner leaves his car plugged in a week after it’s fully charged and gets on a plane for Bermuda you have to walk home?
    It could be worse than that. According to a Tesla owner, if you leave your car plugged in after it is fully charged.....Tesla or the electricity provider charges you a very high fee for using the charger for overtime use.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

fintail said:

I like the thumbnail pic, obviously not in the US with those cars.

bwia said:

Wow! When it rains, it [pours] *floods* in Arizona?

I didn't know that Arizona had a monsoon season so severe in fact that it inundated the desert state with flood waters, mud and debris. Is this part of the new normal or just a repeat of the thousand year flood hinted at by meteorologists.
    With a couple more rain events like this the desert will turn green and the persistent drought in Arizona will be no more and Phoenix will become an even more livable city with more accommodating temperatures.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nFdcElLgD8

A Toyota or Honda flood car is probably still way more reliable than non-flooded Big 3 junk!

*Before you flag this as abuse please take it as sarcasm and a joke.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

When my A7e is locked, the charging plug is also locked in the car's charging port. Of course, vandalism likely could separate it.
    I've also read superchargers are harder on batteries life. Audi recommends (like many) to only charge to 80% capacity for daily use, save 100% for longer trips.

What about for the drag strip? Was just reading how a Tesla beat a Porsche at the races and they bragged how they were "only" 90% charged too. So that must mean something?
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    So we cut our vacation a day short due to the unbearable wildfire smoke covering much of the province's interior. Wasn't so bad the first few days, got really bad after to the point where ash was visible on cars. Luckily the hotel didn't charge us for the extra night we originally booked even though we were way past checkout time.

On a plus note I'm impressed with the fuel economy of my Audi A7. Averaged 10L/100KM (23.5mpg) on the highway, over the 400km (250 mile) drive to our destination, mostly uphill, in sports mode, with my heavy foot, with occasional 80-90mph (130-140km/h) bursts when it was clear and safe to do so. By far my favorite highway cruiser I've owned. So effortless, comfortable, and quiet with great handling.

Ashes on the car.

Picture of the lake, during the day with haze, and another one of the same lake and dock during clear sky when we visited last year.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    abacomike said:

@tjc78 said:

Nothing is ever easy…

Rant over

@abacomike

How did you make out.

Got there at 7:30 AM and got out of there at 11:00 AM. Have the disks of both imaging scans but won’t know the results until 24-48 hours because a radiologist has to write a report on his findings. He then forwards the results to my oncologist and my primary care physician. As soon as I hear something, I’ll post the results.

Thanks for asking:

Also thanks to all for your good wishes.

@mike, glad to hear that your imaging scans went well. Be prayerful my friend.
    edited August 2021

In other news...

Toyota has announced discontinuance of the Avalon. Model year 2022 will be the last run of the big sedan. Not at all surprising, since the market for large sedans has all but dried up.

Meanwhile, Ford reported that it will begin selling custom ordered vehicles in any color, specs and options. In other words, you buy what you want or need.

That strategy Ford claims will reduce bloated dealer inventories to about 50 days, as well as eliminate discounts and save the company millions of dollars. It will develop a new portal, similar to the one used for the Mustang Mach-e, for this new initiative.

Ford has come to the realization that customer buying habits have changed since the onset of Covid-19. That is, customers are willing to buy a new car without first taking a test drive or haggle over price and dealer installed fluff.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    The Maverick so far is only available through that portal. Still in pre orders of course.

I like it if they give more customization options

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    I wonder what the dealers which have invested $$$$ into their stores think about Ford changing the way they intend to provide vehicles, by client order. Though I think it would be neat to specify a vehicle just the way I'd want it (special order), at this point I don't think I have the patience to wait 4-6 weeks. Immediate gratification is not always a bad thing. In addition, if there isn't a like vehicle I can look at or drive, that would make me very hesitant to place the order.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Unless I missed something it was not a complete change. Dealers will still have inventory for immediate sales for the (IMO) vast majority of buyers that don't want to wait for a custom order. But, some people will get peeled off because they will like the idea of getting exactly what they want instead of just what is on the lot. what percent of sales will switch to order portal? Interesting to see.

bwia said:

In other news...

Meanwhile, Ford reported that it will begin selling custom ordered vehicles in any color, specs and options. In other words, you buy what you want or need.

Mercedes has done that for years....they told us every car made in the plant in Stuttgart has been ordered. Some cars are ordered by customer and some for dealer inventory. My car was supposed to be a dealer car, but to get on the list they had a day to change the color etc and switch it from being a dealer car into the car I wanted.

@driver100 said:

Can’t outrun the radio!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,305
    @driver100,
    Be careful, they might try a PIT maneuver to stop you. :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    driver100 said:

bwia said:

In other news...

Mercedes has done that for years....they told us every car made in the plant in Stuttgart has been ordered. Some cars are ordered by customer and some for dealer inventory. My car was supposed to be a dealer car, but to get on the list they had a day to change the color etc and switch it from being a dealer car into the car I wanted.

I think every manufacturer and dealer operates in a similar way. A dealer will order x amount of specific cars/colors/trims for inventory, plus any customer orders that don't match on ground inventory or incoming inventory.

Maybe from time to time a manufacturer might offload some slow sellers to dealers that want specific limited production vehicles. For example, if I remember correctly, a CDJR dealer I worked at had to order a bunch of slow selling Fiats in order to receive a couple SRT Challengers or SRT Grand Cherokees.

I'm at Honda now so there aren't any variations within the same trim levels. A Civic EX will have same options as every other Civic EX, except colors. So when we order vehicles we just order a bunch of everything, and if we're missing something in a specific color we can dealer trade with someone else for their in stock or incoming unit.

20 years ago (man, where does the time go?) when I was shopping for a BMW 5 series, I went to the dealer and he pulled out his allocation sheet for the month. Listed every model they were getting that period. They had up until a certain date to lock in details. As people picked cars they got locked in. At the end, anything not claimed by a buyer the SM just specced out the way he wanted for inventory. So as long as they had an open build of the model you wanted (they were allocated a certain number of each) you could design it any way you wanted.

bwia said:

In other news...

Toyota has announced discontinuance of the Avalon. Model year 2022 will be the last run of the big sedan. Not at all surprising, since the market for large sedans has all but dried up.

That strategy Ford claims will reduce bloated dealer inventories to about 50 days, as well as eliminate discounts and save the company millions of dollars. It will develop a new portal, similar to the one used for the Mustang Mach-e, for this new initiative.

Ford has come to the realization that customer buying habits have changed since the onset of Covid-19. That is, customers are willing to buy a new car without first taking a test drive or haggle over price and dealer installed fluff.

What’s an old man to do?

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    edited August 2021
    stickguy said:

20 years ago (man, where does the time go?) when I was shopping for a BMW 5 series, I went to the dealer and he pulled out his allocation sheet for the month. Listed every model they were getting that period. They had up until a certain date to lock in details. As people picked cars they got locked in. At the end, anything not claimed by a buyer the SM just specced out the way he wanted for inventory. So as long as they had an open build of the model you wanted (they were allocated a certain number of each) you could design it any way you wanted.

Up to 112 status you can change the build; at 150 production starts and the build is locked in.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

File this under "You can't make this stuff up."
    I had a revocation hering fot a guy who would set up shell corporations and other scams to swindle people. He had legally changed his name to Harvey Spector so if anyone did an online search it would be populated by links to the fictional character from Suits- and not the swindler. He had picked up a fraud conviction in another state and a new charge in KY he was definitely on my NTG(Needs To Go) list. Harvey's defense attorney called Harvey's twin brother as a witness. He had changed his name to Royce McKnight- a character in the film The Firm. I really ticked him off, asking if the name changing was a familial trait.
    Needless to say, Mr. Spector 's probation was revoked...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011

I had a revocation hering fot a guy who would set up shell corporations and other scams to swindle people. He had legally changed his name to Harvey Spector so if anyone did an online search it would be populated by links to the fictional character from Suits- and not the swindler. He had picked up a fraud conviction in another state and a new charge in KY he was definitely on my NTG(Needs To Go) list. Harvey's defense attorney called Harvey's twin brother as a witness. He had changed his name to Royce McKnight- a character in the film The Firm. I really ticked him off, asking if the name changing was a familial trait.

Funny that the brother picked one of the obscure partners from Bendini and Lambert. I would’ve thought Avery Tolar would be better.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

andres3 said:

What about for the drag strip? Was just reading how a Tesla beat a Porsche at the races and they bragged how they were "only" 90% charged too. So that must mean something?
    Was the Porsches gas tank only 90% filled? I really don't think it matters to the Tesla how much the battery is charged.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Road, quick question. Is it difficult & expensive to change one's last name? What does it really entail to do this?

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Michaell said:

Funny that the brother picked one of the obscure partners from Bendini and Lambert. I would’ve thought Avery Tolar would be better.
    It reminds me of:
    When Nikola Motor Company founder Trevor Milton unveiled a prototype of the Nikola One truck in December 2016, he portrayed it as fully functional. Now there are reports it wouldn't actually work...they pushed it down a hill and made a video of it driving along.

You couldn't make up a TV show that bazaar.

Isn't it illegal to change your name for fraudulent purposes? And wouldn't this qualify?

Road, quick question. Is it difficult & expensive to change one's last name? What does it really entail to do this?

It's really dependent on the laws of each state. It's not terribly difficult in Kentucky; I can't speculate on Florida- sorry.

Isn't it illegal to change your name for fraudulent purposes? And wouldn't this qualify?
    In this case the name change is tangential to the fraud, so it would be a tough case to make.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

Props for creativity.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    We've had off and on ashfall for the past week or so, and occasional AQI above 250. Today it was closer to 150, which seemed refreshing. Just slightly cooler than hell now that we are in an extreme drought and perhaps the hottest summer on record, too. Fall is going to be nice.
    boomchek said:

So we cut our vacation a day short due to the unbearable wildfire smoke covering much of the province's interior. Wasn't so bad the first few days, got really bad after to the point where ash was visible on cars. Luckily the hotel didn't charge us for the extra night we originally booked even though we were way past checkout time.

On a plus note I'm impressed with the fuel economy of my Audi A7. Averaged 10L/100KM (23.5mpg) on the highway, over the 400km (250 mile) drive to our destination, mostly uphill, in sports mode, with my heavy foot, with occasional 80-90mph (130-140km/h) bursts when it was clear and safe to do so. By far my favorite highway cruiser I've owned. So effortless, comfortable, and quiet with great handling.

Ashes on the car.
    Picture of the lake, during the day with haze, and another one of the same lake and dock during clear sky when we visited last year.

fintail said:

We've had off and on ashfall for the past week or so, and occasional AQI above 250. Today it was closer to 150, which seemed refreshing. Just slightly cooler than hell now that we are in an extreme drought and perhaps the hottest summer on record, too. Fall is going to be nice.

boomchek said:

Ashes on the car.

Is it coming from our region or are you guys dealing with wildfires too?

This just happened here today on what is supposed to be a fairly low-speed street. The devastation is quite something. Blamed on hydroplaning, this vehicle (I think this might be an Elantra based upon the wheels) hit two parked cars, sheared a power pole in half, lost its powerplant, and ended up like this. Driver is apparently OK thanks to airbags.

^^^ That's the engine in the road. Quite the debris field. Photos via The Halifax Chronicle-Herald.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    ab348 said:

This just happened here today on what is supposed to be a fairly low-speed street. The devastation is quite something. Blamed on hydroplaning, this vehicle (I think this might be an Elantra based upon the wheels) hit two parked cars, sheared a power pole in half, lost its powerplant, and ended up like this. Driver is apparently OK thanks to airbags.

^^^ That's the engine in the road. Quite the debris field. Photos via The Halifax Chronicle-Herald.

Uh, that looks like it took a lot of speed to cause that much damage.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Hydroplaning might explain losing traction but no way that person was close to the speed limit. Had to be flying.

But impressive example of how well cars protect occupants now.

2021 Buick Avista Luxury Sport Concept.

Is beauty only in eye of the beholder? Perhaps, but my eyes tell me this is a darn good looking car. Too bad, Buick ultimately decided not to make the Avista, shucks! Despite the interest, Buick restated it was a design study and as a result would not produce the Avista. Enjoy the two minute video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__6mndVuRUs
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    abacomike said:

PET-Scan came back negative for cancer recurrence or spread. Great news. Almost 5 years cancer-free since liver resection which is attributable to God and all the prayers offered on my behalf.

I was originally told by the surgeon and my oncologist that recurrence of this type of cancer within 5 years is 75% of all cases. That I have not had a recurrence is a miracle!

Great news indeed! Hoping that will be the news you hear for many, many years to come...
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    stickguy said:

Hydroplaning might explain losing traction but no way that person was close to the speed limit. Had to be flying.

But impressive example of how well cars protect occupants now.

Would love to see the dash cam from that!
    Good news Mike!

@stickguy said:
    Good news Mike!

Indeed!

stickguy said:

Good news Mike!

For sure!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

@ab348 said:

That’ll buff right out.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    ^^^ That'll have them rolling in the aisles.

edited August 2021
    Further intelligence from the scene now says this is a Ford.