Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @jmonroe1,
    I thought the answer to not arguing was going to be "I know, I bought all his 69 cents a pound ground meat". ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466

@explorerx4 said:
    @jmonroe1,
    I thought the answer to not arguing was going to be "I know, I bought all his 69 cents a pound ground meat". ;)

Don’t butchers and other shops have an agreement not to do that to each other? Then again, didn’t our poster buddy at the other site start a biz buying cheap books. I wouldn’t put it passed him to have reneged on that agreement.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

@roadburner said:
    This is the Lincoln that I would enjoy owning.

Want

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

Great car, just lacks a moonroof. I know, I know…

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    seats look comfy. Nice colors.

that could make an interesting resto mod. Drop a Mustang GT drivetrain into it. Complete with a 6 speed stick. Steal suspension and brake upgrades too. Make a nice little sleeper out of it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

@stickguy,
    My first thought was, it already has a Mustang GT drivetrain in it, but then I realized you mean a current one.
    stopped at the Hyundai dealer yesterday. They really need a bigger store and parking lot. Odd thing is, the dealer bought a huge former Chrysler/Jeep store with lots of land around it, and are tearing the old showroom down to build a Genesis location. They should use that space for Hyundai and keep Genesis in the current shared location

anyway, if they had a Santa Cruz floating around I did not see it. They had some Kona limiteds on the website but must have been on the back lot across the street. I wandered into the showroom, and even at 1:30 on a Friday it was packed. So I did not bother anyone and just left. walked around a little but did not spot what I was there to see.

Did see a nice Genny GV70. Good looking buggy. Stylish interior (only peeked in the windows but I am sure it was comfy). 2.0t with a $4,000 select pack, MSRP about $47K I think.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334

@roadburner said:

Pretty sure that’s larger than my first college apartment. I’m only interested if it has the installed car phone.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Yes, a Coyote would be an easy swap; A customer at my old BMW indie shop had a Mark VII with a stick; I want to say it was a Roush car.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    The Lincoln reminds me of the t-Bird that Mr Regular reviewed a while back-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqAY0IppaZQ

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I just got this book from Audible, and I plan to start listening to it tonight.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

@roadburner said:
    Yes, a Coyote would be an easy swap; A customer at my old BMW indie shop had a Mark VII with a stick; I want to say it was a Roush car.

I don’t know about easy. The Coyote is much wider than an old 5.0 and the Fox isn’t necessarily very wide between the shock towers.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Those of you looking at the Ford Maverick--apparently, you can find a local dealer willing to do a "courtesy delivery" for a fee, buy from one of the dealers offering 4% below invoice, and they will ship it to your local dealer.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Must be a late run/90s car with that steering wheel.
    tjc78 said:

@roadburner said:

Want

Yeah it’s a 91 or 92 for sure. 90 had the airbag corporate Ford steering wheel but higher headrests on the front seats.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Just paid $3.12/gal PUG at Costco.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

royal farms near me dropped $.20 the other day. RUG down to $3.09 and plus at $3.29.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562

That’s because of the looks, right? Because the 4.6L in the 93’ Mark VIII was a lot more powerful than the 5.0L in that generation.

BTW, I tries to ask this last night and was told “you don’t have permission”. Shortly thereafter I was kicked off altogether. Who did I tick off?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

That’s because of the looks, right? Because the 4.6L in the 93’ Mark VIII was a lot more powerful than the 5.0L in that generation.

BTW, I tries to ask this last night and was told “you don’t have permission”. Shortly thereafter I was kicked off altogether. Who did I tick off?
    Me. Did you forget I was left in charge for the weekend. Just wanted to try that to see if I had the power to do it. You’re back in now. :D

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Those Lincoln Mark VIIs always reminded me of road locomotives. That's a compliment. Handsome cars.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

Mark II, III, and VIII are the ones I’ve always been partial to.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    qbrozen said:

III, IV and VII for me.. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

The looks, primarily. I never could warm up to the looks of the Mark VIII. I thought that the Mark VII fused classic Lincoln design cues with modern aerodynamics- it was a true American GT.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

qbrozen said:

I would love to have a Mark II but those were hand built and about the same cost as a Rolls Royce. I bet an original would still be the price of a Rolls.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Here's a Mark II listed on Hemmings.
    Kind of restored but driver's door paint is still mismatched.
    https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lincoln/mk-2/2398905.html
    Enjoyed the trip in the Jeep this weekend.
    It is NOT a city car, though! Parking was a bit of a chore.
    We picked a good weekend to go to my son's first Phils game, though. :)
    Sorry, Mets fans.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

pointed out a nice dark blue Ridgeline in a parking lot today. Wife thought it was kinda "cute". But at least is warm to the idea.

we are still working on the moving plan. Current first choice new build is in a bit more country setting with a 1/2 acre lot and some trees. So having a truck of some sort makes even more sense. If I can ever actually find one that does not cost a fortune.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762

If that was me, I'd say it's difficult to say.... the list is long!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Well. Jeep is getting a new windshield. Rock chipped the windshield and by the time I got off the highway half a mile later it had spidered to 5”+. They filled it with resin to stop it from spreading but needs replaced. $500 deductible and a 4 week back order. FML.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    qbrozen said:

Sorry, Mets fans.

Us Mets fans are used to this sort of thing unfortunately. A bit of a surprise this year with the new owner, but it shows him that he needs to shake the front office and management corps up this offseason. The roster is full of players who are good enough to lose with. I’m just wondering how it’s possible for the Phils to have won 8 in a row. :p

Could be worse though, one could be a Cubs fan. Watching them tonight and it’s just sad. Looks like a minor league team.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

qbrozen said:

Want to swap for my Tundra, by any chance? :D
    @28firefighter - yikes! I used the $10 Rain-X chip repair kit from Wal-mart on a bullseye in the Prius windshield and it turned out pretty well. Not perfect, but 90% better.
    Gave the Prius its first hand wash today and a clay bar treatment. I don't think it had ever seen a clay bar. The paint is much smoother. I plan to do a fairly light polish and then put a coat of Zaino on it. I did not clay bar the wheels, as there are areas where the paint is starting to delaminate, and I figure the less agitation on them, the better.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224

@28firefighter said:
    Well. Jeep is getting a new windshield. Rock chipped the windshield and by the time I got off the highway half a mile later it had spidered to 5”+. They filled it with resin to stop it from spreading but needs replaced. $500 deductible and a 4 week back order. FML.

Wonder if you could get the gorilla glass?

Here's a Mark II listed on Hemmings.
    Kind of restored but driver's door paint is still mismatched.
    https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/lincoln/mk-2/2398905.html

$79k and still needs to be fully restored. I suppose it’s a bargain. Pretty though.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    Gorilla glass is a real thing. It's a factory Jeep option

Windshields seem to be awful cheaply made these days. I’ve driven multiple rental returns with cracks or big chips in them.

I wonder if it’s to save weight or just to save money.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Corvette, how many vehicles in the stable now? I'm a bit off count here but did you get rid of one to get the Prius?

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

So new and thwack, total bummer. I was about a mile from our house and a truck passed by and I just about jumped from my seat. The truck threw a rock and it hit with violent sound just right of me. Windshield wrecked on the Accord. One small advantage of living in SC, with full coverage, no deductible for windshield replacement.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Was lucky last year with my windshield. They were able to squirt some resin product into the crack and it just disappeared after a few days, like it never even happened! No way did I want to replace the whole thing and luckily, they were able to do this easier procedure to save the original one. Was super happy things turned out this way!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited August 2021
    @Sandman6472 - Just the Tundra and the Prius. I sold the G37 towards the beginning of the pandemic--seems like ages ago. I was not looking for a Prius specifically, but the Tundra is unwieldy in quite a few tight city parking lots, so was looking for a smaller car in general to use in those situations.

The Rain-X repair kit (and I assume most others) are pretty neat, the resin is cured by UV light, so you just park the car in the sun and scrape off the excess with a razor blade.
    And overall, I know it's been a short time, what are your thoughts of the new to you Prius? From a G37 to a Prius, now that's a big jump in driving dynamics I'd say.
    I know in my case, I'm about ready to go back to Toyota to be honest. Looking like it'll be either the new Corolla Cross or possibly the CH-R. I do like the regular Corolla hatchback but it's kind of low to the ground, like my current Golf is, and I'd like something a few inches taller. The 175.2 length of the Cross might be an issue with my side of the garage but the rear blind spot in the CH-R especially with a black interior could be an issue plus it gets worse mpg's than the Cross does.
    But, am interested in your initial impressions of the new to you Prius. Forgot how many miles it has also.

I asked about Gorilla Glass. Said it had to be on my window sticker for insurance to cover.

I’ll also be adding glass coverage with 0 deductible…

I have $100 ded for comprehensive. Doesn’t cost much more and comes in quite handy for windshields. I actually got a chip in the Charger’s glass recently. Waiting to see if it gets worse.

@corvette said:
    Want to swap for my Tundra, by any chance? :D

I have zero desire for a Tundra

Yeah. I’ve literally never had an issue. So I think I’ve still come out ahead…

We have zero glass deductible in my state, if you have comprehensive coverage.

@Sandman6472 - the Prius is a 2007 with 222,000 miles. Bought it from the original owner. Seems to be mechanically solid. I've seen about 45 MPG on the trip computer in mixed driving, which is impressive. The exterior dimensions are very small, but the car feels very solid, all things considered. I'm sure the heft from the hybrid system adds to that feeling. It feels slow (and is slow), but you just have to plan on flooring it early and often if you are trying to get on a freeway. On city streets, you can do the same thing, and I've found you win lots of races when your opponents don't realize you are racing.
    ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

Sorry, Mets fans.

Us Mets fans are used to this sort of thing unfortunately. A bit of a surprise this year with the new owner, but it shows him that he needs to shake the front office and management corps up this offseason. The roster is full of players who are good enough to lose with. I’m just wondering how it’s possible for the Phils to have won 8 in a row. :p

Could be worse though, one could be a Cubs fan. Watching them tonight and it’s just sad. Looks like a minor league team.
    If you want sad, watch the Pirates. They wouldn’t even come in last in the minor league. They are absolutely unwatchable. Count your blessings baseball fans.

jmonroe
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    edited August 2021

I wonder if it’s to save weight or just to save money.

It's always to save money below a certain price threshold. On the other hand, CARB and the other alphabet groups have made saving ten pounds (or 0.05 mpg) worth doing.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester