Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Yep, had a feeling the Prius would be on the slow side but that mileage is indeed impressive for 222K on the clock! I'd be a perfect candidate for an EV to be honest but am unhappy about the lack of suitable charging stations around our area at this point. And I've read that charging from one's home with a regular plug on 110 will take many hours to charge the vehicle to full, one really needs to retro-fit the house to 240. As I only put on about 40 miles/week now, could work for me. Did sit in the new 2022 Bolt last Wednesday at the dealer and was impressed by everything except the price tag. They had a unit in dark red which I really liked and it was pretty comfortable inside. I didn't fall down into it, something I'm looking for in my next vehicle and recall getting out was pretty easy. But, it needs to come down in price to the mid to high $20's for it to get any interest from me at this juncture, $26K to $28K would be in my ball park to be honest. I know my daughter & son-in-law would love it as they're both Chevy owners. Now, get me the price I'm looking for and help with the retro-fitting of my garage so it can be charged quicker, and I'd say I'm in...where do I sign?
    I'll admit it, I do like a vehicle where I hit the gas...and it goes! I don't speed but I like power when needed and have found in my Golf, putting the gear lever into "S", gets me what I want. Sometimes, that turbo lag just drives me crazy and have noticed it happening more & more lately. Not sure if changing into new spark plugs would help. Really don't want to put anymore $ into it but if this would help, think I would. Still on the original brake pads & rotors with just about 68K on the clock and have only had the brake fluid changed out at the 30K service years ago.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Have noticed that slight turbo lag happening more & more on my Golf lately. I'm about to hit 68K on the next couple of weeks and wonder if I need to change out the spark plugs to help with this issue? The brake fluid was changed out at the 30K service and am still on the same pads & rotors all around. Not looking to put much money into it since I might be getting a new 2022 Toyota sometime in the new year depending if what I'm waiting for fits my needs and comes out this fall. This chip shortage most likely might put a damper on my plans. But just wondering if I should attend to any of these things sooner than later? Luckily, I don't drive many miles anymore, maybe 40 to 50 each week, but still want to keep it up. Asking the experts in here if I should at least swap out the plugs?

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    I think VW recommends a 60k spark plug change, so it’s due. Not sure if that’s why you are experiencing more pronounced turbo lag or not.

@28firefighter...that sucks. I still have to deal with the S60’s windshield as well. Luckily I have a $50 glass deductible.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    edited August 2021
    I'm just shy of 115,000 on the Q7's ticker now.

I ended up having an issue with the EGR system while crossing through Nebraska last week (or maybe the week before now... last week of July). I was feeling the slightest of hesitations while on the highway (I80) running at 80 mph. It would run fine for a mile or two, then a brief blip, then continue to run fine. At one point, there were several hesitations in a row, followed by lots of flashing lights, and then no cruise. The car continued to run, but the speed drifted down to around 62 mph (perhaps a 100 kph "limp mode?") before I was able to hold it there. I continued to the next exit a few miles later, then pulled out the diagnostic tools to check it out. The system said there was a clear failure of the EGR system, and it seemed to be somewhat of a cascade because there were a multitude of related codes. I saved the report, cleared the system to try to get my cruise back, and then continued down the road.

It was hot (34C) and humid (near 100%) that day, so I decided to try reducing my speed to 75. Thankfully, it seemed to work fine for the most part for the rest of my trip. A few more intermittent hesitations, but nothing that ended like it did that first time. I have an appointment at Audi in Erie on Thursday.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

Enjoyed the trip in the Jeep this weekend.
    It is NOT a city car, though! Parking was a bit of a chore.
    We picked a good weekend to go to my son's first Phils game, though. :)
    Sorry, Mets fans.

Us Mets fans are used to this sort of thing unfortunately. A bit of a surprise this year with the new owner, but it shows him that he needs to shake the front office and management corps up this offseason. The roster is full of players who are good enough to lose with. I’m just wondering how it’s possible for the Phils to have won 8 in a row. :p

Could be worse though, one could be a Cubs fan. Watching them tonight and it’s just sad. Looks like a minor league team.
    If you want sad, watch the Pirates. They wouldn’t even come in last in the minor league. They are absolutely unwatchable. Count your blessings baseball fans.

jmonroe
    The Reds appreciate the Pirates!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,434
    This car shopping might be harder than I thought. FB marketplace, as expected, was high priced crap. Local dealers were very proud of their used stock.

And using my reference point for leases (Rodo app) they range from bad, to horrible. And really better off getting something more expensive that is less desirable. Might as well pay $450 for a TLX instead of $400 for a Civic or $350 for an Elantra!

Did find an electric blue Ram Warlock for about $460 ($48k sticker) but that is probably not my vibe.

A decent ridgeline ran about $600. Rangers up there too. $500 for a mid level Taos. Stuff like that.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    kyfdx said:

jmonroe1 said:

ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

Enjoyed the trip in the Jeep this weekend.
    It is NOT a city car, though! Parking was a bit of a chore.
    We picked a good weekend to go to my son's first Phils game, though. :)
    Sorry, Mets fans.

Us Mets fans are used to this sort of thing unfortunately. A bit of a surprise this year with the new owner, but it shows him that he needs to shake the front office and management corps up this offseason. The roster is full of players who are good enough to lose with. I’m just wondering how it’s possible for the Phils to have won 8 in a row. :p

Could be worse though, one could be a Cubs fan. Watching them tonight and it’s just sad. Looks like a minor league team.
    If you want sad, watch the Pirates. They wouldn’t even come in last in the minor league. They are absolutely unwatchable. Count your blessings baseball fans.

jmonroe
    The Reds appreciate the Pirates!
    Gee, I wonder why. I’m not sure what place the Reds occupy in that long line but they can’t be much further back than around the 32 nd spot. But let me be positive for a second, the Pirates will be getting tons of cards this Christmas and maybe a big mound of boxes under their tree. They may never go back to their olden days with treatment like that.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I've got a few updates for the board. One car related, one not.

We had a few mild days last week which softened the blow of not having air conditioning in the house. However, the last couple of nights have been pretty bad. Humid days and no breeze aren't a good combination. However there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I have a very good customer who is an HVAC contractor. He came up to my house & took measurements. I buy from a distributor who is a rep for BOSCH. He's going to sell me the condenser/heat pump & air handler I need. My guy is going to install it. He's a licensed service rep for BOSCH. He's basically going to gut my duct work. He said there is a long return that runs the entire length of my house that is salvageable. He's going to send his workers to pickup the AC condenser & handler on Thursday and will start work on Monday.

Now to my car related post. I had to submit photos through allstate's photo claim. As most of you saw, it barely looks like there is any damage on the surface. The body shop estimated the job would cost a little over $1,900 to fix. This is before I told them about the leaking rear shock. Allstate sends me a check based on the photo estimate for $459.03. I know the body shop is going to have to do a facetime call with an allstate claims person to put in a supplemental claim and my truck will be fixed properly. GRRRRRRRR!

My best friend sold his wife's leased Grand Cherokee 10 months early. He ordered her a Tesla Model 3. When he gave the deposit, they gave him an estimated delivery date of late August - Early September. 2 weeks later that changed to Late September - Early October. A week after that his estimated delivery date got changed to Mid-November. He leased a 2021 Audi Q5 Premium Plus for his wife. He didn't do too bad given market conditions. His Q5 came with 2 keys. The sales manager said he was lucky. The newer cars are coming in with only 1 key due to the chip shortage. Audi figures they can sell 2x as many cars with only 1 key (for now).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

How does that work - do they give you an IOU for the second key when they are available?

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

Dealership says the 4xe ordered 6/22 is still gathering parts. The 4xe ordered 7/12 has a ship date of 8/18.

Must just be a run of Stingray already scheduled.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    mjfloyd1 said:

Dealership says the 4xe ordered 6/22 is still gathering parts. The 4xe ordered 7/12 has a ship date of 8/18.

Must just be a run of Stingray already scheduled.

Lucky!! Still gathering parts for me. 6/28 order date and I had hoped to have it by Labor Day weekend but doesn’t look like that will happen.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    corvette said:

How does that work - do they give you an IOU for the second key when they are available?

Furthermore, if the dealership loses the 2nd Key FOB before giving it to you, are you SOL?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited August 2021
    corvette said:

Furthermore, if the dealership loses the 2nd Key FOB before giving it to you, are you SOL?

If you lose your keys and have to have the car towed or have a professional start the car or Locksmith open the door for you, who pays for that??
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I would want a serious rebate if they only gave me 1 key, since my wife and I each have our own and having to swap back and forth would be a giant pain in the rump. Especially since we always carry our keys and don't just hang them on a hook by the door.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Tesla's key cards have some benefits here. $35 for a pair of cards, and you can program them yourself (add or delete) on the touchscreen. But you'll use your phone instead, most of the time.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    After a 3 month wait, I should have a punch tomorrow. I tried to get pro-active and see how to change my signature line. Should it be under the "account" tab when I activate the little man icon at the top right? If so, I can't find it there.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    edited August 2021
    @sb55,
    Click on your sb55, then click on the blue dropdown box on the right to edit your profile.
    After that look on the right for signature and edit that.
    I just removed my 2019 MKZ from my sig(sold).
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    tifighter said:

Tesla's key cards have some benefits here. $35 for a pair of cards, and you can program them yourself (add or delete) on the touchscreen. But you'll use your phone instead, most of the time.

I wish Polestar would get their act together and make the "phone-as-key" app more reliable. I'd say it's good 80-90% of the time - but the few times when I've been unable to start the car or lock/unlock it is pure frustration. I've never been left stranded...it'll start working with a reboot but that 5-10 minutes has left me pulling my hair out a bit.

I finally decided to just carry the "activity" key with me (a smaller fob).

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

That polestar won’t be around too long so don’t get too frustrated :)

sounds like the kiss of death right there.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    breld said:

tifighter said:

I wish Polestar would get their act together and make the "phone-as-key" app more reliable. I'd say it's good 80-90% of the time - but the few times when I've been unable to start the car or lock/unlock it is pure frustration. I've never been left stranded...it'll start working with a reboot but that 5-10 minutes has left me pulling my hair out a bit.

Any trips with it yet? I hear...things...about Electrify America.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

that the charges are starting to be busted quite often?

Spoke with mechanic yesterday, I'm 8K past the recommended spark plug swap out period. Probably have that done at same time he does the brake fluid change. Wonder if the slight turbo lag it's having will disappear with new plugs?

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    stickguy said:

This car shopping might be harder than I thought. FB marketplace, as expected, was high priced crap. Local dealers were very proud of their used stock.

And using my reference point for leases (Rodo app) they range from bad, to horrible. And really better off getting something more expensive that is less desirable. Might as well pay $450 for a TLX instead of $400 for a Civic or $350 for an Elantra!

Did find an electric blue Ram Warlock for about $460 ($48k sticker) but that is probably not my vibe.

A decent ridgeline ran about $600. Rangers up there too. $500 for a mid level Taos. Stuff like that.

At this point you might want to concentrate on cars owned by friends and neighbors. FB marketplace has an even worse reputation for scammers than Craigslist. Either place you’re liable to find people trying to make a killing on broke down junk.

At least with personal contacts you know something of the owner. Put out the word among your social network.

You might also want to hang around the old folks homes and try to pick up something low mileage. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Should have bought my neighbors beat up pilot. To heck with the wife’s opinion! But did not know they were selling until already went to a friend of theirs parents.

The only old person with a good car I know is my did. And I’d rather not think of what has to happen to get that!

Bizarre car market can’t last forever. Hopefully.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited August 2021

@Sandman6472 said:
    Spoke with mechanic yesterday, I'm 8K past the recommended spark plug swap out period. Probably have that done at same time he does the brake fluid change. Wonder if the slight turbo lag it's having will disappear with new plugs?

If it really is turbo lag, plugs have nothing to do with it. If you are running on 3 cylinders or getting a weak spark resulting in lower overall power, then plugs could help.

May want to scope the intake to check on carbon buildup on the valves, too.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Or trade it in!

Though the DI VW engines are known for carbon buildup and needing walnut blasting. At least the older 2.0t motors. Not sure about the 1.8t.

stickguy said:

At this point you might want to concentrate on cars owned by friends and neighbors. FB marketplace has an even worse reputation for scammers than Craigslist. Either place you’re liable to find people trying to make a killing on broke down junk.

At least with personal contacts you know something of the owner. Put out the word among your social network.

You might also want to hang around the old folks homes and try to pick up something low mileage. :D
    That’s not a bad idea and to speed up the process spread around some banana peels. :s

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    JM, you’re old, right? Want to sell the Genny, cheap?

stickguy said:

JM, you’re old, right? Want to sell the Genny, cheap?

I’m not old, I’m experienced and NO I ain’t selling my Genny to nobody especially to someone who doesn’t appreciate experience.

jmonroe
    That’s ok. I would want a nice red one, not old man gray. It would match my hair too well.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    First review I've seen of the Hyundai Santa Cruz, typical early softball variety:

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/41906/2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-review-a-charming-small-pickup-thats-weird-for-the-better

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    tifighter said:

breld said:

tifighter said:

No trips and no plans for longer trips. I know the charging network exists to some extent, but that's a big reason we like having something like the XC90 for the time being.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

stickguy said:

That’s ok. I would want a nice red one, not old man gray. It would match my hair too well.

Well then, you’re in luck.

jmonroe
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190

@tjc78 said:
    I think VW recommends a 60k spark plug change, so it’s due. Not sure if that’s why you are experiencing more pronounced turbo lag or not.

Not sure how much difference between turbo and NA Volkswagen engines, but on the wife’s 13 Jetta it calls for plugs every 40k.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    breld said:

tifighter said:

breld said:

tifighter said:

No trips and no plans for longer trips. I know the charging network exists to some extent, but that's a big reason we like having something like the XC90 for the time being.
    Quote the Raven

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Just built a Maverick again. Definitely a good value. XLT hybrid with luxury package, co Pilot package, moonroof, all season mats and a tonneau cover, still snuck in under $29k. Would give me everything I need, and can still tow a small utility trailer if need be. Probably not fast, but should get great mileage running around locally. Not like I’d be hot rodding it anyway. And it will fit in the garage!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    The Maverick seems like a decent value. The styling is fresh yet conservative. It has an honest vibe to it. I like the size and for my purposes it would be a good choice. $30k seems to be the new price point to be able to get something nicely equipped and not subject to an entry level compromise.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    stickguy said:

Just built a Maverick again. Definitely a good value. XLT hybrid with luxury package, co Pilot package, moonroof, all season mats and a tonneau cover, still snuck in under $29k. Would give me everything I need, and can still tow a small utility trailer if need be. Probably not fast, but should get great mileage running around locally. Not like I’d be hot rodding it anyway. And it will fit in the garage!

AWD. right? Thats a great deal.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

That’s FWD. not towing much, so shouldn’t matter. AWD requires the non hybrid 2.0t and adds something like $3500 or more and hammers mpg. But much more of a traditional truck design.

@au1994 said:
    AWD. right? Thats a great deal.

No AWD on the hybrid, at least not right now. They offer the Escape Hybrid (on the same platform) with AWD, so I guess it’s a possibility in the future.

Must have done it for price? Lack if parts? Maybe it’s just too much weight for the hybrid drivetrain with AWD added.

edited August 2021

@andres3 said:

No, the dealership would give you a “we owe” receipt and you would get your second keyfob

edited August 2021

@stickguy said:
    Must have done it for price? Lack if parts? Maybe it’s just too much weight for the hybrid drivetrain with AWD added.

I don’t think it’s price, the 2.0T is about a $1,000 option by itself, then about another $2k for AWD, if memory serves. Maybe lack of parts, weight, or it just wouldn’t perform well in that application with AWD. Or, they could be planning to offer it later in the production run, but not at launch.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    Was out today and took a look at some dealer lots. Plenty of inventory at all the import places - Hyundai, Nissan, Toyota, Honda. Very thin on the ground at the Ford dealer, maybe 1 or 2 of each model and that's it aside from some F-250 and 350 pickups and some medium-duty trucks. What shocked me was the GM dealer - in front of the showroom they had some new inventory, maybe 15 vehicles total. But they have a huge lot out back and it was completely empty. I was shocked. I have never seen that lot even close to half-empty, and usually it is full with other new cars in overflow lots.

Interesting thing at the Ford dealer's used lot. The owner of that dealership used to own the GM dealer down the street but sold it to the current owners. He is a bit of a collector and has unloaded many of the cars in his collection at the Ford used lot over the last few years - a couple of Lotus Elises, a Solistice coupe, various Corvettes and Shelby Mustangs, etc. Today there were 3 last-gen Firebird convertibles there, I presume the ones with the LS1 engine from the early 2000s. Two were yellow with black tops and the other was white with a blue top. I never cared for those much but I discovered that they got good reviews at the time. They aren't up on the website so no idea about details. Also saw a 2008 Porsche 911 4S, orange in color. Doesn't seem like his kind of ride so I don't know it it is his or not.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited August 2021
    sb55 said:

Punch to report. 2021 Toyota Venza Limited replaced the 2014 BMW 535d.

BTW, I was able to see how to edit my profile. But after changing it on the page, then it said I didn't have permission to change it. Is this a moderator only step?

If you are trying to change your signature, it is in a different place. When you get to the Edit Profile page, look on the right side for the Signature Settings link.

Very interesting swap, BTW. Diesel 5-series wagon for a hybrid 'yota wagon.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S