Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

That is absolutely awesome news!

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    nyccarguy said:

Let’s all raise a glass and toast to @roadburner ! He sent me an article that guided me on “unsticking” a clutch after a car has been partially underwater as my Prelude was. I read it a few times and figured “what do I have to lose?”

I started the car in gear and it slowly started to lurch forward. I kept my foot on the clutch and drove about a block in 1st gear until I could shift. Then I took a joyride around to make sure all the fluids heated up properly! It’s alive!

Thank-you again Bailey so much!

I told him to send that article to you. B)

All kidding aside, there’s lots of knowledge in here.

It wouldn’t hurt to change the fluid now.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

I was about to ask which of the fluids were likely to be contaminated. Glad you got it unstuck, though!

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    almost sounds like when your parking brake gets frozen on.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849

Wow, that’s awesome.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    edited September 2021
    I love that early 70s (73?) BMW CS. What a fantastic car.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Great photos!
    Looks like fun. Some fantastic looking cars there.

Here’s one to rival the Ohio houses. 5 garage garage and the workshop looks great. Taxes only 11k, cheap for NY!

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3-Hunter-Hill-Rd_Ballston-Lake_NY_12019_M49272-34941

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    stickguy said:

Here’s one to rival the Ohio houses. 5 garage garage and the workshop looks great. Taxes only 11k, cheap for NY!

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3-Hunter-Hill-Rd_Ballston-Lake_NY_12019_M49272-34941

That doesn't seem like a bad deal though I don't know the location at all. It looks like a "transitional" style, i.e. in the period of transitioning from 50 shades of beige to 50 shades of gray. ;)

I've been thinking about kitchen design trends a lot lately and am a bit stumped. Woodgrain like in that house seems to be out of fashion these days, but I really am unsure if a white or white/gray kitchen like you see on all the home improvement shows would be something I'd want either. I am beginning to think I should set a trend of my own and get cabinets in a nice painted finish that are actually a color of some sort.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

It’s a nice area. Close to civilization and a real goo school district b

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    But you have to live in upstate NY, AKA South Canada.
    Yeah, I know, some y'all are there. I'm just kidding. Sort of.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    @qbrozen,
    It looks more like mid state on the map, kind of between Albany and Saratoga.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    NYC people think “upstate” begins in Rockland or Westchester. People in Albany consider themselves capital district, and upstate is north of them.

And people in the middle get offended when not called central NY.

I consider that house upstate though. Wasn’t my idea to move there, but that’s where most of the family is!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@sda said:

It looks like a Euro 3.0 CSi; there are no side marker lights or reflectors and I can see the D-Jetronic intake. Beautiful cars but values are going off the charts.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    stickguy said:

didn't you get a Tesla already? Don't see it in your summary there. I would assume it just means that you did not get to doing it yet, though entirely possible you already got rid of it!

Is the Mini still around, or is it just the Tesla, Polestar and XC60? as if that isn't enough for 2 people!

We have the Tesla...I should update my signature line I suppose.

Vroom picked up the MINI last week and had the funds in our account a few days later, so that's all done.

I don't really think my wife will get something else in the meantime...but I like the fact that's where her mind goes when there's a 2-3 month delay on the delivery of her Audi. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591

@sda said:

It looks like a Euro 3.0 CSi; there are no side marker lights or reflectors and I can see the D-Jetronic intake. Beautiful cars but values are going off the charts.

Hey @roadburner - new topic: is the S55 crank hub a real thing of concern?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    stickguy said:

NYC people think “upstate” begins in Rockland or Westchester. People in Albany consider themselves capital district, and upstate is north of them.

And people in the middle get offended when not called central NY.

I consider that house upstate though. Wasn’t my idea to move there, but that’s where most of the family is!

I sure as hell don't want to move somewhere with MORE snow at this point in my life.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@breld did you lease or buy the Y?

@breld did you lease or buy the Y?

We bought it.

More recalls, this time from Ford, both of them dealing with the Mach-E and its glass:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-glass-sealant-recall

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    I’m searching cars.com nationwide for the Land Cruiser to pop up. It was going to auction no doubt as CarMax wouldn’t be keeping anything that age with that many miles.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

almost pushed the button last night on another Pro 4x. I should really stop checking the app before going to bed, it keeps me from getting to sleep! A new one popped up about an hour away. Had convenience and tech but missing the roof/stereo upgrade (fine on a lease of a PU). $43,350 MSRP, 24 payments of $419 with 0 DAS (just first payment).

stickguy said:

almost pushed the button last night on another Pro 4x. I should really stop checking the app before going to bed, it keeps me from getting to sleep! A new one popped up about an hour away. Had convenience and tech but missing the roof/stereo upgrade (fine on a lease of a PU). $43,350 MSRP, 24 payments of $419 with 0 DAS (just first payment).

I didn’t know that the roads in your part of NJ were so bad as to require such a machine.

actually, in a lot of places they are. A lot smoother to drive on the grass or dirt.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    breld said:

The wife's MINI is listed as available soon on Vroom...

https://www.vroom.com/inventory/mini-hardtop-2-door-2020-WMWXR9C05L2M09122

Purchased from Carvana last November with all of 1,600 miles on it for $32,900, sold to Vroom 10 months and 11k miles later for $32,263...and now listed with 12k miles on it for $37,499. :o

Incredible all around. Inexpensive to own, current asking price. Wow

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

@breld said:
    The wife's MINI is listed as available soon on Vroom...

https://www.vroom.com/inventory/mini-hardtop-2-door-2020-WMWXR9C05L2M09122

Purchased from Carvana last November with all of 1,600 miles on it for $32,900, sold to Vroom 10 months and 11k miles later for $32,263...and now listed with 12k miles on it for $37,499. :o

I hope Mrs @breld doesn’t see that Mini. It has all the right options :)

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    @breld, still confused. What goes when you get get the Audi? I guess any one of the fleet is a candidate.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    ab348 said:

I didn’t know that the roads in your part of NJ were so bad as to require such a machine.

I've been in Boston the past couple of days, taking public transportation when I can, and it's amazing the city buses don't fall apart after a year or two of shuddering over some of the potholes.
    tifighter said:

@sda said:

Hey @roadburner - new topic: is the S55 crank hub a real thing of concern?

I think it's way overblown(no pun intended) personally. It affects a small percentage of cars, primarily cars with aggressive tunes. Some people believe the DCT contributes as it can shift as quick as 1-50 ms, but there's no statistical data to back that up.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Picked up an air filter & cabin air filter at VW today and will ask my mechanic to install both when he has the hood open on Thursday My co-worker said he could do both but since my mechanic will already have the hood open, might as well ask him to do it. This way, I know it's done right and I can move on. Since I've decided to keep it for another year or so, might as well keep it running right. Still haven't done the coolant or spark plugs but will inquire on Thursday if the are needed right now or if they can wait awhile.
    Also made an appointment for the kids Hyundai for the next oil change and recall that needs to be done in the trunk. Will have the car here the weekend of the 9th as we're going up to Orlando to see the newlyweds & have the party we missed out on last October when they tied the knot. Took a couple of days off at Toyota so will do it on the 11th. This way I know it's done and she can drive worry free for the next year. The following week I'll finally get to the new sneakers for the Audi, which my guy at Tires Plus says they have in stock.
    Speaking of tires, am very happy with my Goodyear Eagle GT's after owning them just over 2 years. Wearing just fine with regular rotations and even though they don't have much mileage on them, am very pleased with how they handle in both wet & dry conditions. Only my second time with Goodyear tires, had RS-A's on the 2006 Honda Civic, but am very impressed so far with them.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    One of my local Subaru dealers is taking orders at msrp for any Subaru. He says it seems to take about 2-3 months at this point from order to delivery. It does let you create just the car you want. It's interesting that most brands are charging extra for some colors, but on the Outback it looked like all the colors were the standard charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewj974Vedio
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    charging extra for paint colors always rubbed me the wrong way.

Honda didn't charge extra for colors until about a year ago, but now red costs an extra $395. For an Acura red costs an extra $500. BMW charges 550 for red. Mazda charges $595 for their Soul Red. And Tesla charges $2000 extra for red.

In contrast, Subaru still gives you red at just the regular price.

@benjaminh said:
    Honda didn't charge extra for colors until about a year ago, but now red costs an extra $395. For an Acura red costs an extra $500. BMW charges 550 for red. Mazda charges $595 for their Soul Red. And Tesla charges $2000 extra for red.

That Red Subie looks like Mrs. j’s ‘18 Legacy except hers has the beige interior that looks a lot better than the black IMO.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@carnaught said:
    @breld, still confused. What goes when you get get the Audi? I guess any one of the fleet is a candidate.

The Tesla is meant as the stopgap. Though you’re right…by then anything could be a candidate.

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    benjaminh said:

That's weird. Here in Canada all colors except silver or grey are only $300 more. Nissan used to that for the past 10+ years iirc. Their only free color was black.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

@roadburner said:
    I've been monitoring a G42 2 Series Forum and the chip shortage is affecting HUD availability as well as SXM tuners. The cars are delivered as "SXM ready" which means the customer will have to add the tuner later at extra cost. Too bad the chip debacle doesn't affect sunroof availability instead...

What’s the problem? Are you afraid the the roof will leak and the music will get out? :s

jmonroe

Good news for my state.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/27/business/energy-environment/ford-battery-electric-vehicles.html?searchResultPosition=1

"Ford Will Build 4 Factories in a Big Electric Vehicle Push
    The automaker and a supplier will spend $11.4 billion on three battery factories and a truck plant, creating 11,000 jobs....

"The two plants in Kentucky will be in Glendale, about 50 miles south of Louisville, and are expected to create 5,000 jobs, at a cost of $5.8 billion. The batteries made there will be used at North American plants that will produce Ford and Lincoln electric vehicles. Ford already employs about 13,000 people at two truck and S.U.V. plants in the Louisville area.

“We have enormous demand for our electric vehicles now, and this is going to help us accelerate,” Ford’s chief executive, Jim Farley, said in an interview. “This is going to give us a million units of supply just for Ford.”
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    The extra cost paint colors are usually of a higher quality than the no cost choices.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    A nice feature of Subarus is that they have standard steering responsive headlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6mN73iE6ME
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    jmonroe1 said:

@roadburner said:

I've been monitoring a G42 2 Series Forum and the chip shortage is affecting HUD availability as well as SXM tuners. The cars are delivered as "SXM ready" which means the customer will have to add the tuner later at extra cost. Too bad the chip debacle doesn't affect sunroof availability instead...

What’s the problem? Are you afraid the the roof will leak and the music will get out? :s

jmonroe

Just install a Realistic cassette player under dash, as I did in my '71 Saab 99. Of course that was in '76, but I'm sure, like me, you still have hundreds of cassettes.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Reminds me a going high tech audio in HS and putting an FM converter in my Duster to upgrade the AM radio.

@jmonroe1 said:

@roadburner said:

jmonroe

I never use them. My wife and I never open them on the three cars we own that have them. I also don’t want extra weight added to the highest point on the car.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    My new ‘77 got a Pioneer Supertuner with 8-track, and a graphic equalizer/amp mounted under the glovebox. Plus 4 new speakers.

Came stock with an AM/FM mono radio with a single speaker. 🙂

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited September 2021
    More on Ford's huge investment in battery factories in KY and TN.

https://www.autonews.com/video/first-shift-ford-plans-transformative-ev-campuses-ky-tenn

https://www.wardsauto.com/industry-news/record-ford-investment-will-build-pickup-battery-plants

"....Vertical integration is a key element of Blue Oval City. The microchip shortage has taught Ford the importance of having domestic sources for key materials, Drake says, adding local suppliers are also critical to holding down the cost of battery packs. “We can’t have materials coming from thousands of miles away,” she says. Ford expects BEVs to account for about 40% of the company’s production by 2030....

Ford’s $7 billion portion of the $11.4 billion investment is the largest manufacturing investment in the company’s 118-year history. SK Innovation is putting up the other $4.4 billion.

Part of Ford’s $30 billion-plus investment in electric vehicles through 2025, the investment supports the company’s longer-term goal to create a sustainable American manufacturing ecosystem, and to accelerate its progress toward achieving carbon neutrality, backed by science-based targets in line with the Paris Climate Agreement.

The sites selected are close to other Ford operations such as the Kentucky Truck plant near Louisville, says Bob Holycross, Ford vice president-sustainable engineering. He adds the site selections will help Ford minimize operating costs critical to building an affordable BEV...

“This is our moment – our biggest investment ever – to help build a better future for America,” Ford President and CEO Jim Farley says in a statement ahead of the official ceremony with local officials in Kentucky and Tennessee. “We are moving now to deliver breakthrough electric vehicles for the many, rather than the few,” he says. “It’s about creating good jobs that support American families, an ultra-efficient, carbon-neutral manufacturing system and a growing business that delivers value for communities, dealers and shareholders.”