Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    andres3 said:

So, being in CCBA - I was thinking I need something with good gas mileage to run my long daily commute, and CA gas prices being as high as they are.

Saw a '07-'10 generation Civic on the road, thought that would work, but then remembered the sound system is crap.

What gets good mileage, doesn't cost more than a '15 S4 with 44K miles, and doesn't have a sucky sound system?

Meh, just aftermarket it. If the price is right, even an expensive stereo replacement is pretty darn cheap (comparatively).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Go for a Subaru Impreza. Should be able to acquire one at reasonable cost, and it'll check the needed boxes. Plus, they're comparatively gutless, so you can have some fun changing that....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,257
    andres3 said:

I hate having to tow it again though.

Do you have AAA? I think you get up to four tows per year.
    andres3 said:

Saw a '07-'10 generation Civic on the road, thought that would work, but then remembered the sound system is crap.

I am generally not picky about factory sound systems, but the one in my 2011 Mustang GT was by far the worst I'd ever heard. Two pair of Crutchfield's cheapest 6x9 speakers and an hour or two of work later, it sounded great, and I got to keep the factory head unit. So, don't completely write off a car you might like on account of a questionable infotainment system.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,961
    Speakers are a great starting point to upgrade audio. Typically they are the weak link.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,533

@sda said:
    Speakers are a great starting point to upgrade audio. Typically they are the weak link.

Makes you wonder why a car manufacturer cheaps out so much on speakers but they have the best bean counters on earth so they must know what works and what doesn’t. Although it does make you scratch your head. Sometimes to balding. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited October 2021
    This reviewer ordered his hybrid Maverick in June and is expecting delivery in January. Ford improved its hybrid system in the Maverick compared to the Escape, giving it faster acceleration. Since stickguy is apparently getting his Maverick 2.0T for an impressive 4% less than invoice, he could probably sell it at a profit in this market, and then if he wants to turn around and order the hybrid. Or drive it for some months and then sell it/trade it in for an Acura Integra or something else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRxDW64KMzw&t=2s

"The Ford electric motor boasts a couple significant refinements over the purchased motor in the Escape, according to Hajiabdi. “On the manufacturing side, we are utilizing the hairpin design, which is one of the best-in-class designs we have for the winding scheme for these machines. By using this hairpin design, we’re able to push more current while keeping the noise, vibration, and harshness performance to the limits,” he said. And Ford also improved the installation of the motor’s permanent magnets by embedding them directly into the motor’s rotor housing. “The way the permanent magnet is retained inside the rotor assembly, many suppliers and other OEMs actually glue the magnet inside the pocket of the core,” explained Hajiabdi. “But for this design, Ford is using the technology of molding the magnets inside the core. By doing that, one of the things that this enables is that we can push this motor to higher speeds which translates to higher vehicle speeds.”

https://www.designnews.com/automotive-engineering/fords-new-house-maverick-hybrid-e-motor-20-percent-lighter
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,488

EPA ratings out. 33 highway, 42 city.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited October 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

@sda said:

Makes you wonder why a car manufacturer cheaps out so much on speakers but they have the best bean counters on earth so they must know what works and what doesn’t. Although it does make you scratch your head. Sometimes to balding. :'(

jmonroe

I think the price pressures are sometimes huge. Long ago I read a book about the second generation Ford Taurus, the oval one that came out in 1996. Ford and the Taurus designers and engineers had thought that the car could sell at a premium price over other midsize cars, and they engineered some nice things into it assuming that. But when the car didn't perform that way in the market, they had to almost brutally go back and make the car cheaper by "value-engineering" lots of parts, trying to cut a couple of thousand dollars out of each car. For the standard stereo of a car I could see how in that situation they could switch from forty dollars worth of speakers (or whatever) to twenty dollars.

That actually also seemed to happen with my 2016 Honda Accord EX. That car had a rotten sound system, worse somehow than was found on my 2002 Accord LX. The bean counters had gotten to it, figuring I guess that those that cared about good sound would get the deluxe stereo on the EXL and above. That almost painful sounding stereo was one of the main reasons I traded that Accord in for my TLX, although in retrospect just putting in some better speakers might have fixed that issue. But there were other reasons I wanted to Acura....

Interesting is that my wife's EX CR-V has a good stereo. Sounds nice. Why would an EX CR-V sound good, while an EX Accord sounds bad? My guess is that it's because the CR-V is now Honda's best selling and most profitable vehicle. The CR-V is making more money for Honda, and so that team of engineers and bean counters are, I'm guessing, allowed to put in that extra $30 or whatever into the speakers.
    The new Audi A3 is out and looks good. Starting msrp 35k, but with the convenience package that adds smart entry, xm, etc. it's 37k in white. Colors are 600 extra. Still a nice entry-level luxury car value. It now uses regular gas, which is a surprise. Plus it has a mild hybrid system and gets 32 mpg combined epa rating, which is only a few less than a standard Civic. The A3 has an unusual shift control.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37996255/2022-audi-a3-s3-drive/

benjaminh said:

The new Audi A3 is out and looks good. Starting msrp 35k, but with the convenience package that adds smart entry, xm, etc. it's 37k in white. Colors are 600 extra. Still a nice entry-level luxury car value. It now uses regular gas, which is a surprise. Plus it has a mild hybrid system and gets 32 mpg combined epa rating, which is only a few less than a standard Civic. The A3 has an unusual shift control.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37996255/2022-audi-a3-s3-drive/

The new A3 looks sharp and it looks great in that shade of blue. I am glad blue seems to becoming back as a desired color. It reminds me of the Tourmaline blue VW has on the Passat. I do wish Audi would provide a similar warranty of 4/50, 6/70 like Acura and also mirror Acura’s CPO warranty.

@sda said:
    The new A3 looks sharp and it looks great in that shade of blue. I am glad blue seems to becoming back as a desired color. It reminds me of the Tourmaline blue VW has on the Passat. I do wish Audi would provide a similar warranty of 4/50, 6/70 like Acura and also mirror Acura’s CPO warranty.

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s because Audi is German and they probably don’t have the same confidence in their product that the Japanese have. Or maybe it’s because they are German stubborn and don’t feel that they have to be like the others. They have their own fan base.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,073
    benjaminh said:

The new Audi A3 is out and looks good.

Looks a lot like the previous A3.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    A3 had the tire light come on yesterday, nail in one of the bad tires. Told the wife, enough already, ordered three new tires. We dropped it off last night at 6:45 and was done this morning at 10. Did need three tires so that's done & will pick it up during her lunch break at 2. The three year alignment package expired in May it turns out but will drive it first to see how things stand. Can always go back in a few weeks & purchase another policy as a good possibility it'll still be ours with the low miles she's putting on now. Just saw the new A3 and like it though it hasn't changed much. Doubt she'll go German again to be honest...think Kia is what she wants next, a top of the line Forte should do the trick as it's the same size which she likes. But if she wants another A3, no problem either.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I agree that Audi's changes are almost always subtle from generation to generation.
    Stopped by the auto tag place this morning to get my handicap placard. Good through 11/25 this time, they added another year which is a smart thing to do. Will definitely time things out so they both become due in 2025 so I'll be able to just do one trip to get both the placard and the plate. Since we most times use the Audi to go out, like having the placard I can carry with us.
    The tag agency was right across where I went to high school down here from mid-tenth grade to graduation. Place still looks the same and even drove by our old house before my doctors appointment. The guy in the guard house let me through after I told him I lived here 50 years ago & just wanted to look see the old house. Same owners who bought it in 1973 from my folks and looks the same, a white house with a white barrel tile roof. Big house for tat time though, a 7/6 with a two car garage out back. Had a pool, sauna, shuffle board court out back. Folks got it for a bargain in 1969 as a Canadian doctor needed to unload it fast, so my dad told me years ago. Was a "right place at the right time" purchase, think they paid around $155K back then where now, bet it's worth $750K or more. Served our family well at the time, I finally had my own room for those 3.5 years.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,559

Stopped by the auto tag place this morning to get my handicap placard. Good through 11/25 this time, they added another year which is a smart thing to do. Will definitely time things out so they both become due in 2025 so I'll be able to just do one trip to get both the placard and the plate. Since we most times use the Audi to go out, like having the placard I can carry with us.
    The tag agency was right across where I went to high school down here from mid-tenth grade to graduation. Place still looks the same and even drove by our old house before my doctors appointment. The guy in the guard house let me through after I told him I lived here 50 years ago & just wanted to look see the old house. Same owners who bought it in 1973 from my folks and looks the same, a white house with a white barrel tile roof. Big house for tat time though, a 7/6 with a two car garage out back. Had a pool, sauna, shuffle board court out back. Folks got it for a bargain in 1969 as a Canadian doctor needed to unload it fast, so my dad told me years ago. Was a "right place at the right time" purchase, think they paid around $155K back then where now, bet it's worth $750K or more. Served our family well at the time, I finally had my own room for those 3.5 years.

$155K in 1969? That can't be right.

My mother sold our house in 1971 for $21K. Granted, not the mansion that one seems like, but still.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@kyfdx said:

My mother sold our house in 1971 for $21K. Granted, not the mansion that one seems like, but still.

Maybe @Sandy’s father paid that Canadian doctor in worthless Canadian dollars that @ab348 talks about.

jmonroe

@Sandman6472 , Check out Consumer Reports road test on the Forte. They were not impressed with its harsh ride, seats, noise level and reliability. The styling of the Forte looks nice, however. The new Honda Civic may deserve consideration. In the meantime, enjoy the A3.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,073
    jmonroe1 said:

@kyfdx said:

Maybe @Sandy’s father paid that Canadian doctor in worthless Canadian dollars that @ab348 talks about.

jmonroe

No, back then they were worth something. For a time they were worth more than the US greenback in fact.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,559
    ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

@kyfdx said:

jmonroe

No, back then they were worth something. For a time they were worth more than the US greenback in fact.

Yeah, there was a time that Canadians were trying to buy US models, for import to Canada.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

@ab348 said:

That sounds like they were being totally un-Canadian back then. It’s nice to know that’s been corrected lately. B)

jmonroe

edited October 2021
    "The Car Shortage Is About To Get A Whole Lot Worse
    A critical element in everything from engines to bodies is in short supply
    BySteve DaSilva
    Tuesday 12:56PM
    Comments (332)
    .... A global shortage of magnesium could result in a near-total shutdown of the auto industry — one that experts say could come by the end of this year....Essentially, you can’t make cars without aluminum. You can’t work with aluminum without using magnesium. And as of December, you may not be able to work with magnesium much — if at all. Amos Fletcher, analyst for Barclays, put it succinctly: “If magnesium supply stops, the entire auto industry will potentially be forced to stop.”

China has been in the midst of an energy crisis recently, with factories shutting down to conserve power. Unfortunately for the car industry, China is also the world’s primary supplier of magnesium — 85% of the world’s supply comes from the country. The most prevalent magnesium-producing town in China, Yulin, just ordered 35 of its 50 production facilities to shut down. The remaining 15 have been told to scale back operations by half, leaving production drastically reduced. This slowdown in magnesium wouldn’t be such an issue if the metal could be easily stored, but it’s got an incredibly short life span on its own. Magnesium oxidizes relatively quickly, and European reserves are expected to run dry by the end of November.

The situation in the US, luckily, is a bit more optimistic. While not nearly on the scale of China, the US is a global producer of magnesium as well. As long as American auto plants can get their hands on enough semiconductors, production shouldn’t quite hit a total standstill."

more at the link

https://jalopnik.com/the-car-shortage-is-about-to-get-a-whole-lot-worse-1847892481
    This is just getting ridiculous.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    corvette said:

andres3 said:

I hate having to tow it again though.

Do you have AAA? I think you get up to four tows per year.
    I'm probably good there, though I think they started charging for tows over 10 or 15 miles for the "normal" service. You can buy the deluxe package I'm sure for more $$$.

The "good" dealership is 15-ish miles away, the OK/lame one is 1/2 mile away.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    My bag of empty aluminum cans will go into my retirement portfolio, I guess.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

More ideas and options to get the Red S4 running again:

Rebuild the engine assuming medium damage at worse case scenario to one side of the V6. Makes sense as my foot on the gas putting out black smoke from a timing failure causing 3 cylinders to die with valves open is starting to makes sense. Use guys from close to South of the Border, but recommended/good word of mouth for their quality of work in machining and rebuilding.

Sell the S4 broken to one of these "cheap" rebuilders.

Buy through "contacts" from the auction block "salvaged" S4's where the motor is still running for about $14-15K off the block?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

@xwesx said:
    This is just getting ridiculous.

One more reason why we have to get our manufacturing base back to the way it was.

But until someone turns off my air, I’ll get through this.

jmonroe

edited October 2021
    here's one that isn't too expensive. Probably even local to you? way cheaper, and probably a lot safer, than trying a garage rebuild.

https://www.partrequest.com/auto-parts-detail/2013-2015-audi-s4-engine-assembly-3-0l-vin-g-5th-di-284468621366

oops. that is by Sacramento. Sounds like it should be down near San Diego!

Not a bad idea, @andres3 .

Or, hybridize it with the @stickguy route: You can probably get a unit (S4) from Copart for south of $15K. Depending on bidding, maybe a lot less than that (and they have a bunch of them). Get one for $4-6K tops, pay another couple grand, maybe, for shipping, and you can likely get a solid engine for a decent price. Sell the shell of the car for scrap for $1,500 or so... maybe more if you wanted to part it out... and you'd come out okay.
    so all that time playing with electronics, and it was just gunk inside? Old school!

xwesx said:

Or, hybridize it with the @stickguy route: You can probably get a unit (S4) from Copart for south of $15K. Depending on bidding, maybe a lot less than that (and they have a bunch of them). Get one for $4-6K tops, pay another couple grand, maybe, for shipping, and you can likely get a solid engine for a decent price. Sell the shell of the car for scrap for $1,500 or so... maybe more if you wanted to part it out... and you'd come out okay.

It looks like at best you get a 1 year 12K warranty for an engine that was treated in "unknown" ways, both from a maintenance and a driving standpoint. I'm more worried about maintenance, as I have no reason to believe the engine minds being used harshly. Most are high mileage at this point though.
    if you want new, pay the $15K and you get new!

they had other ones. I think there was a low mile (40k) unit for about $5,700, but free shipping.

better than an R8 V8. JRGO had to replace his, and that was $25K through the dealer (had to come from Germany). Part only, install is extra.

• rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    edited October 2021
    So, I'm on an Audi TT kick right now. Does anyone know what a fair deal on this would be? The closest 2008 V6 convertible comp I can find is $19K, but other sources like KBB say $17K max.

https://www.autoshowcase1.com/vehicle-details/used-2008-audi-tt-3-2l-quattro-roadster-carol-stream-il-id-43851999
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
    edited October 2021
    andres3 said:

xwesx said:

It looks like at best you get a 1 year 12K warranty for an engine that was treated in "unknown" ways, both from a maintenance and a driving standpoint. I'm more worried about maintenance, as I have no reason to believe the engine minds being used harshly. Most are high mileage at this point though.
    Yeah, it's all a balance of cost and comfort, to be honest. And, you really only need the long block on this thing, so replace anything that you feel should be replaced while you're doing the job. I honestly don't know what's wrong with your motor in terms of internal damage; it's entirely possible that it just needs some reconditioning to come back to life. Before putting in too much time and effort, though, I would want to crack it open to see just what it looks like in there.

Maybe a good bet is to pull an oil sample out of it and send it off to Blackstone. Let them know (quick summary) what's going on. They can tell you how the internals look from a metals perspective. If there's lots of copper, aluminum, and silicon in there, the block might not be worth the effort.
    edited October 2021
    I visited the Kia store and they had 1 used Stinger, 1 used K5, one new Stinger, 1 new K5. This is a big dealership!!!!!

A 14K new motor quickly made me forget all about a $350 dollar key FOB incident!

I don't like the Stinger with a 2.0T. It's not the motor's fault though. The K5 with a 2.0T or 2.5T might be the ticket.
    qbrozen said:

Mechanic reports my engine is running fantastic now. Wrong replacement strut was mailed to him, however.

That's great news! A little more waiting, and you'll be off having some fun.

I had my Q7 in to the alignment shop on Tuesday. They said it was a little out of whack, but not as much as I expected. The only damaged parts they could find are the rear strut mounts, and the lower bushings were just destroyed on them. I have a new pair of shocks on the way, and hopefully I can get them installed this weekend (if they show up on time tomorrow).
    stickguy said:

better than an R8 V8. JRGO had to replace his, and that was $25K through the dealer (had to come from Germany). Part only, install is extra.

To be fair, the install was "free" for him, but it took over two years between acquiring the car and having it run like normal.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    benjaminh said:

jmonroe1 said:

@sda said:

jmonroe

I think the price pressures are sometimes huge. Long ago I read a book about the second generation Ford Taurus, the oval one that came out in 1996. Ford and the Taurus designers and engineers had thought that the car could sell at a premium price over other midsize cars, and they engineered some nice things into it assuming that. But when the car didn't perform that way in the market, they had to almost brutally go back and make the car cheaper by "value-engineering" lots of parts, trying to cut a couple of thousand dollars out of each car. For the standard stereo of a car I could see how in that situation they could switch from forty dollars worth of speakers (or whatever) to twenty dollars.

That actually also seemed to happen with my 2016 Honda Accord EX. That car had a rotten sound system, worse somehow than was found on my 2002 Accord LX. The bean counters had gotten to it, figuring I guess that those that cared about good sound would get the deluxe stereo on the EXL and above. That almost painful sounding stereo was one of the main reasons I traded that Accord in for my TLX, although in retrospect just putting in some better speakers might have fixed that issue. But there were other reasons I wanted to Acura....

Interesting is that my wife's EX CR-V has a good stereo. Sounds nice. Why would an EX CR-V sound good, while an EX Accord sounds bad? My guess is that it's because the CR-V is now Honda's best selling and most profitable vehicle. The CR-V is making more money for Honda, and so that team of engineers and bean counters are, I'm guessing, allowed to put in that extra $30 or whatever into the speakers.

I’m guessing that for every audiophiles like you there are twenty tin ear customers like me who can’t tell the difference. When the cuts come they want to offend the fewest people.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

so all that time playing with electronics, and it was just gunk inside? Old school!

I once had a bit of gasket material completely disable the carb on an F-150. It took an 80 year old, old school mechanic to look in just the right spot and fix it with tweezers.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

rny421 said:

So, I'm on an Audi TT kick right now. Does anyone know what a fair deal on this would be? The closest 2008 V6 convertible comp I can find is $19K, but other sources like KBB say $17K max.

https://www.autoshowcase1.com/vehicle-details/used-2008-audi-tt-3-2l-quattro-roadster-carol-stream-il-id-43851999

In this market the price is whatever the dealer can get away with.

@oldfarmer50 said:
    In this market the price is whatever the dealer can get away with.

You’re right about that. But today it’s easier because of the panic.

jmonroe

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,341
    jmonroe1 said:

@sda said:

jmonroe

I think a huge percentage of drivers have no Idea how a decent audio system sounds- and/or don't care.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,925

@stickguy said:

True enough. Nothing a computer could have deduced, so who knows if even an MB dealer could have figured that out.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

sometimes you just have to take it apart and see what you find.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,603
    rny421 said:

I've driven one of these with the V6 and the manual. I liked it. I seem to recall that there can be issues with the timing chain guides or something on the V6; I can't remember. I also drove the 2.0T with the DSG, and it didn't feel any slower. But $22K for a 60K mile 13YO Audi? Well, it's a brave new world. If you have the itch now, I'd consider the alternatives. Examples with manuals that are newer/lower miles as seen on carmax with a 2 minute search-

But if you love the TT, then you love the TT.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Q, now that the ML is fixed and coming home, can't the wife drive that as her d d? She has the Fiat & minivan if she gets bored or she can even borrow the Jeep. I've got a feeling a Transit van is going to be cool at first, but after a short while...not so much! Having three, maybe even four vehicles to choose from seems to me the perfect way to go. And they're all in the stable right now so no more cash outlay for yet another vehicle. Just makes sense and maybe, in time, she can get something she's always wanted. Hell, I'd be happy to have a toy right now so I could switch off to be honest.
    Looked on a website earlier, and our old 7/6 is now worth just over $1M, crazy but it says it's just under 5K living space. Somewhat small by today's standards but back then, it was pretty large. Was nice to see it again, even though we didn't live there very long.

@Sandman6472 said:
    Q, now that the ML is fixed and coming home, can't the wife drive that as her d d? She has the Fiat & minivan if she gets bored or she can even borrow the Jeep. I've got a feeling a Transit van is going to be cool at first, but after a short while...not so much! Having three, maybe even four vehicles to choose from seems to me the perfect way to go. And they're all in the stable right now so no more cash outlay for yet another vehicle. Just makes sense and maybe, in time, she can get something she's always wanted. Hell, I'd be happy to have a toy right now so I could switch off to be honest.
    Looked on a website earlier, and our old 7/6 is now worth just over $1M, crazy but it says it's just under 5K living space. Somewhat small by today's standards but back then, it was pretty large. Was nice to see it again, even though we didn't live there very long.

Say what? 5k is small? Yikes!

Benz will go up for auction, I’m pretty certain. I’ve been pondering other moves. We both use the Jeep A LOT, yet, I’m not terribly keen on making payments right now. The Escape will be with us here in NJ for a while. Maybe I’ll start tooling around in that and see how it goes. Wouldn’t be the worst thing if a $4k vehicle can serve as a DD. But, I do acknowledge I have been down this road before. I tried it with a $2k Equinox, and that did not go well. Plus, wife would not do well with that plan. I think the Jeep needs to stay for her use. So, yes, likely the future stable will be Sprinter, Jeep, Fiat, Charger. The Ford will go down south, and the Coronet will still be in pieces. Lol. Who knows? Maybe I’ll like driving the Sprinter.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I’m pretty surprised I made 3 punches this year. I honestly did not think any moves were in the cards when the year started. I’m not counting the Sprinter. Although we put down a deposit, who the heck knows how long it will take before signing and taking delivery.