Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @qbrozen,
    Just make sure your insurance company knows the Escape will spend most of it's time in SC, if that turns out ot be the case.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@explorerx4 said:
    @qbrozen,
    Just make sure your insurance company knows the Escape will spend most of it's time in SC, if that turns out ot be the case.

Posted about that previously. It took some discussion with them but they did it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    “ I tried it with a $2k Equinox, and that did not go well. “

Well the problem there was that it was an Equinox. :p I guess I missed the story on that one.

All this time and I never knew you were a hooptie collector like me. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    I am having a second guess regarding leasing the Tesla vs. financing it. There is talk of any new EV tax credits being retroactive to 5/24/2021, if the bill passes, which is why I'm debating. Here is the breakdown in my head.

Lease: Minimal upfront, only paying part of the sales tax, pretty easy flip to a dealer assuming values stay up. If the tax credits pass retroactively, could depress values and make it harder to sell.

Buy: Large downpayment upfront, full sales tax (add $2500 over lease cost), lower interest rate vs. the lease. I'm left holding the bag on values, but potential $7500 windfall if the EV tax credits go retroactive.

Need to decide quite soon....like this morning...

In other news, value of the Outback from Carmax is up to $37,000...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

I am having a second guess regarding leasing the Tesla vs. financing it. There is talk of any new EV tax credits being retroactive to 5/24/2021, if the bill passes, which is why I'm debating. Here is the breakdown in my head.

Lease: Minimal upfront, only paying part of the sales tax, pretty easy flip to a dealer assuming values stay up. If the tax credits pass retroactively, could depress values and make it harder to sell.

Buy: Large downpayment upfront, full sales tax (add $2500 over lease cost), lower interest rate vs. the lease. I'm left holding the bag on values, but potential $7500 windfall if the EV tax credits go retroactive.

I'd run the total cost on each assuming 75% RV after 2 yrs. I know right now it is more like 99%, lol. But I wouldn't count on it. You'll probably find buying to be better given the lower interest. It would be even better if, like you said, the $7500 falls your way. Granted, though, the $7500 would hurt the value since buyers would turn back to new Teslas rather than used. But once the new incentive is used up (again), that will change.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

If this bill passes, what does that mean for those of us waiting to take delivery of a 4xE Wrangler? Asking for a friend:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

If this bill passes, what does that mean for those of us waiting to take delivery of a 4xE Wrangler? Asking for a friend:)
    You already get the $7500 being passed on via CCAP through the existing tax credits. If for some reason your delivery pushed into 2022, you might end up eligible for an additional $4k if CCAP tried to pass it on. Unclear whether that will happen.

All of this is hypothetical, of course...
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Got distracted again. Really need to somehow find a respectable used truck for not too much money to go along with a used car. But they are so hard to find.

A benefit though, no issues getting a full sized beast, if you only use it when you need that!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    I still think Model 3 values will hold for awhile regardless of the credit situation. An SR+ ordered today already has an estimated May delivery time, and would go way further out with an additional credit available. There are plenty of people that won't be able to wait that long.

I'm still impressed you were able to get one, period.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Assuming a 75% residual in 24 months, it's almost a dead heat for TCO ($18,418 for leasing, $18, 268 for purchase with 72 month financing @ 2.49%). But that almost makes the decision even more clear cut, IMO, since owning offers more flexibility AND there is a potential of a $7500 windfall...
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited October 2021
    rny421 said:

So, I'm on an Audi TT kick right now. Does anyone know what a fair deal on this would be? The closest 2008 V6 convertible comp I can find is $19K, but other sources like KBB say $17K max.

https://www.autoshowcase1.com/vehicle-details/used-2008-audi-tt-3-2l-quattro-roadster-carol-stream-il-id-43851999

In this market if you find exactly what you want it's worth a premium. VW dealership had 1 Jetta, 1 GLI, 1 Taos.

The 1.4T in the Jetta impressed me as it simulated the feel of a 1.8T nicely, but without the extra size/weight up front.

Only car I drove was the Jetta SEL, but I looked at the Taos. It appears to be the upgrade at VW as compared to economy Jetta, in fact, it's the Alltrack replacement (has 4-Motion AWD), just more SUV and higher roof like, and without the more premium Golf interior. It now has a "tall" Jetta interior, which was fine, but not quite premium like. It has a 7-speed DSG and a 1.5T instead of a 1.4 (curious if anyone here has driven a 1.5T at VW?)?

The Jetta has the solid but slushy 8-speed auto similar to the Tiguan.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited October 2021
    I flipped it to a purchase - it was a no brainer based on the math - even if it breaks even, financing offers more potential upside.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

nyccarguy said:

You already get the $7500 being passed on via CCAP through the existing tax credits. If for some reason your delivery pushed into 2022, you might end up eligible for an additional $4k if CCAP tried to pass it on. Unclear whether that will happen.

Gotcha. Hypothetically my wife's Jeep should be here in the next 2ish weeks. Last I heard it was in Final Inspection Stage.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:

nyccarguy said:

Gotcha. Hypothetically my wife's Jeep should be here in the next 2ish weeks. Last I heard it was in Final Inspection Stage.
    Then you're good - I think Mike's dealer locks in the rates and everything, so you'll still get the $7500 rebate. Wildcard would be if someone got one next year, assuming these rebates pass (no guarantees), whether CCAP would pass along up to the full $12,500 they're talking about. That'd be some wild leasing...
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356

nyccarguy said:

nyccarguy said:

Then you're good - I think Mike's dealer locks in the rates and everything, so you'll still get the $7500 rebate. Wildcard would be if someone got one next year, assuming these rebates pass (no guarantees), whether CCAP would pass along up to the full $12,500 they're talking about. That'd be some wild leasing...
    Can you imagine? Yes there has been a few price increases but with $12,500 down we’d be looking at what? $250/mo give or take depending on your taxes?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

au1994 said:

nyccarguy said:

nyccarguy said:

Can you imagine? Yes there has been a few price increases but with $12,500 down we’d be looking at what? $250/mo give or take depending on your taxes?
    I think one of three scenarios occurs:
    (1) The bill passes, the credit applies to leases, but CCAP chooses to hold some of it.
    (2) The bill passes, but the credit doesn't not apply entirely to leases.
    (3) The bill doesn't ever actually pass as written.
    Would the 4xe qualify for $12.5k? Does the proposed bill allow for PHEVs with only 22 miles of range to get the full amount?

edited October 2021
    qbrozen said:

Would the 4xe qualify for $12.5k? Does the proposed bill allow for PHEVs with only 22 miles of range to get the full amount?

Good question - I actually don't know; but I don't see anything about the union bonuses having a caveat like that...the only thing I saw was for the $7500 requiring a 15kwh battery, minimum. The 4xE has a 17.3.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221

How were you able to listen to a 20018 vehicle’s sound system? Time travel? Is this a DeLorean rather than a Buick? :)

Popped over to look at used BMW. Super clean, in and out. Belied the Carmax that had a couple of bumps on it. Nice car though, but it was in service 8/13, so already over 8 years old. Still hard to accept paying $19,500 for a nice but mainstream sedan that old. Local car, dealer maintained, but still getting to an age where will have some needs. But should be a nice car. Only 44k miles. Just missing sports seats, but we are generally fine with the base thrones, and my wife even prefers them.

Problem is, the same basic car but 2018 MY is probably $10k more with similar mileage. So maybe super low miles 14 is smarter, but it’s already close to 10 YO and at some point it’s considered an “old” car, and value could easily take a nose dive.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    It's hard to put a value on the low miles, once you start comparing across model years.

Values are so far out of whack, I'm glad I don't need a car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited October 2021
    I'd worry about the service needs of a 2013 BMW. And some BMW 3-series cars of that era don't even have a back-up camera iirc. Plus no CarPlay/AA. 19.5k kinda makes sense in this soufflé market. The options currently are few and far between, both new and used. Vehicles are thin on the ground and overpriced.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    I don’t actually need it either so browsing is low stress!

Always have the Maverick option which should eventually get produced. And a Honda dealer waiting on pricing and availability on a civic Si. Just in case I go a different direction.

And by maybe March you might be able to add the Acura Integra to the list of possibilities.
    It’s already on. Just no clue when it might appear.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited October 2021
    benjaminh said:

I'd worry about the service needs of a 2013 BMW. And some BMW 3-series cars of that era don't even have a back-up camera iirc. Plus no CarPlay/AA. 19.5k kinda makes sense in this soufflé market. The options currently are few and far between, both new and used. Vehicles are thin on the ground and overpriced.

As I posted in RWTIV:
    If you know a good indie shop or dealer and have a CCA membership it's not bad at all. The running costs for my wife's X1 with the same engine have averaged $312/year. It would be even less if I didn't get the coolant and brake fluid changed more often than BMW recommends. There was a TSB for the early N20 timing chains. It might well have already been replaced on that car. BMW also extended the timing chain warranty to 7-year 70K miles.

As long as it has three mirrors I can do without a rear view camera. CarPlay is a non-issue for me, and FWIW, the vast majority of BMW buyers I dealt with preferred the OEM navigation over CarPlay- including acolytes of the Blessed Church of St. Jobs.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Somewhere in Acura's promo ads they said the Integra was "coming soon," and to me that would seem to mean a few months? I think the Civic Si is coming in December, and maybe the Integra will be three months after that? In one of the articles on the Integra it said Acura's already been working on it for more than four years, and so it should pretty much be done.

I wonder if you could drive the Maverick for some months, and then sell it to Carvana for the same money you paid for it, or maybe even pocket a small profit? And there might be a chance that you'll like it enough to keep it.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    stickguy said:

I don’t actually need it either so browsing is low stress!

Always have the Maverick option which should eventually get produced. And a Honda dealer waiting on pricing and availability on a civic Si. Just in case I go a different direction.

I may have missed it, do you have a delivery date for the Maverick?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

last email I had from Ford bumped the build date back a week, to 11/1. so delivery would be, maybe end of November? That assumes no more delays.

the 2014 328 happened to have a BU camera, but true, a lot of expensive Euro cars even at that point still did not have a camera. No way I am buying something like that without one. Gotta draw a line someplace!

The Integra, I thought that was some non-committal "2022" so I assume maybe 4/1? But these days, who the heck knows when something will actually arrive.

A new Maverick in this market at a significant discount from msrp seems like a good thing. My local Hyundai dealer has things on their site like....

I always suggest low miles and older for those who drive a lot but newer with high miles of it will be driven little.

benjaminh said:

A new Maverick in this market at a significant discount from msrp seems like a good thing. My local Hyundai dealer has things on their site like....

It's the Oxmorons Dealer Group- what did you expect?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I think the “moron” part applies to the buyer who will pay $5k over MSRP for the car.
    Road & Track was less than enthused with the Mk8 GTI; it's a great track toy but irritating as a street car due to the obtuse touchscreen infotainment system and the capacitive touchpads on the wheel. I've read similar complaints in the European automotive press. I think a system that has only a touchscreen interface is at least as dangerous as those mouth breathers who drive using handheld phones.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Drove past a transporter filled with Mavericks on the freeway today. Just in case anyone in this group has had any interest in them, not sure, haven't seen many posts about it...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

benjaminh said:

Just madness 😐

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

qbrozen said:

I always suggest low miles and older for those who drive a lot but newer with high miles of it will be driven little.

I agree with this. a 2020 with 50K miles and 2 years/10K miles left on the warranty would be perfect for me.

• rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    stickguy said:

Popped over to look at used BMW. Super clean, in and out. Belied the Carmax that had a couple of bumps on it. Nice car though, but it was in service 8/13, so already over 8 years old. Still hard to accept paying $19,500 for a nice but mainstream sedan that old. Local car, dealer maintained, but still getting to an age where will have some needs. But should be a nice car. Only 44k miles. Just missing sports seats, but we are generally fine with the base thrones, and my wife even prefers them.

Problem is, the same basic car but 2018 MY is probably $10k more with similar mileage. So maybe super low miles 14 is smarter, but it’s already close to 10 YO and at some point it’s considered an “old” car, and value could easily take a nose dive.

I was afraid you were interested in my BMW ;-)

I threw an offer at the 2008 Audi TT. They had a $695 "Dealer Prep Fee" plus a $300 "Dealer Doc Fee," so I put an offer of $19.5K all in, but they flat out said no. Oh well - they've had it for over two months, so we'll see if it sits.

Long story short, I may be interested in having you look at that 3 series @stickguy . Gonna take a look at one locally this weekend to make sure the 328i has enough pep for me.
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
    I actually liked that one. but just can't do a black over black car, doubly so in a convertible.

if you want I can pop over. just remember, on a PPI, you get what you pay for!

and I have no problem skating you on it if I fall in love. :p

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236

FWIW, the vast majority of BMW buyers I dealt with preferred the OEM navigation over CarPlay- including acolytes of the Blessed Church of St. Jobs.

Does the OEM navigation have some sort of real time traffic data? Because Waze has saved me from being mired in traffic more times than I can count.

That reminds me, I'm going to have to ask Dad whether his Ranger that he bought there has that stupid, annoying, blinking third brake light, and whether he wants to remove the blinking function... He's already bought some sort of rear suspension upgrade to try to deal with what I'm assuming is some sort of axle hop on rough roads.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Drove the A3 after work today, new sneakers do make a big difference. Car tracked straight & true down the roads around our house, so think we're good for awhile now. Hopefully, both vehicles will behave going forward with no lights coming on in the dash. I do maybe 40 miles/week now and she's lucky if she gets up to 60, so think we're good for a long while here. Both vehicles could use a good detail as it's been about a year now, a friend gave me a guys number who does a good job at one's house. Think I'll give him a call & see what his prices are like to get them both done. The Golf's blue paint still looks good so won't take much to get it looking like new. Our rainy season is coming to an end so think the time has come to finally do both.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Drove the A3 after work today, new sneakers do make a big difference....

New tires sure can make a difference. What brand and model of tire did you end up buying?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    @corvette Our 2017 BMW has real-time traffic data. Where does the info come from? No idea.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    carnaught said:

I think the “moron” part applies to the buyer who will pay $5k over MSRP for the car.

The way things are going $5k over might soon be the killer deal.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Pirelli tires which came OEM on the vehicle from Audi. She had one tire get replaced in ear one due to it being unrepairable so we've been out of sync ever since. I'd have gone for a different brand and just of gotten all four but she wanted to keep what came on the vehicle, which I had no problem with. I's her d d and she needs to feel comfortable with everything about it, so I do what she wants.
    Now, she's happy again so I can be happy. And to be honest, the A3 is a nice little driver and meets all or needs. I'd have one myself but I want a hatch for those times I need to pick up mulch, lava rocks...whatever, and she likes a trunk. Also, don't really want two of the same vehicles in the garage but if it ever did happen, no prob really. But I will say this, doubt we'll buy/lease German next time around. Still waiting to try the new 2022 Corolla Cross but since it's a 5-door Corolla, think I'll feel right at home. The CH-R is also a strong contender if I can get a light interior to help down play that rear blind spot where the rear door handle is. With the black interior, it's a real issue for me but less so with a lighter interior. And I do prefer the white pearl paint. So, we shall see what the future brings. I'm finally ready to let go of the Golf, a long time coming as I truly have liked it overall. I just want something simple going forward, easy to drive and easy to maintain.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

corvette said:

FWIW, the vast majority of BMW buyers I dealt with preferred the OEM navigation over CarPlay- including acolytes of the Blessed Church of St. Jobs.

Does the OEM navigation have some sort of real time traffic data? Because Waze has saved me from being mired in traffic more times than I can count.
    Yes, and you can set the system to automatically re-route you around accidents or traffic jams.