Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906

@stickguy said:
    haven't been to Albo in years. Not sure how much time we will have to go places. May just end up with the easy way at Lowes, if they have the Bosch available.

but maybe I will take a run down there too.

I didn’t go in. Called and did it all on the phone. Emailed me a receipt.

I originally wanted a Bosch, but no one had them. Not sure it has gotten any better

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

My wife will run the dishwasher with it half empty. Drives me nuts!!!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Are the stores charging ADM on dishwashers?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited December 2021
    BTW.
    I am aware that Plug-in hybrids are not in the Venza offering. The Rav4 does have Prime, but those are more scarce than cows over the moon.

I really like son and DIL's Venza. Were a Camry offered as plug-in hybrid, I'd have to really look at that.

A smaller EV like a Bolt could be workable for a year and we'd keep the Malibu for real driving.
    Otherwise PHEV would be a one-car garage for the first time.

All electric as a main vehicle: no thank you. For most owners, they are fooling themselves into thinking they're not polluting because the pollution is somewhere away at a power plant.

I used to throw bricks at the untruthful Volvo commercial that ranks right there with the Lincoln commercial about isolation in the cabin in being vapid. I think it's been a year or more since the Volvo thing ran. I rate it right up there with the Medicare Advantage program ads on TV every 5 minutes... Thank God, today is December 7 and the open enrollment period ends. Hopefully the ads go away.
    LOL

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    stickguy said:

jmonroe1 said:

@stickguy said:

well, can't say it is really going to be "happy" since it will still end up with my credit card taking a hit.

Use Mrs. @stickguy’s CC. After all dishwashers are for the lady of the house.

jmonroe

I don't let her touch it. Saves me the trouble of having to redo it when she puts everything in wrong.

MrsD100 is a very bright lady, but I can load twice as much into a dishwasher. If you do it right it can make a huge difference. Like why let bowls fall forward and take up 2 spaces when you can put them upright if you put them in the right place.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

@imidazol97
    I 100% agree with you that there is no free lunch with electric cars. I’m no expert on it for sure, but between the power plants and whatever footprint the batteries have the impact of the environment is negligible.

The only interest I have in one is if I can get a good lease and/or tax credit. In all reality I’d be a perfect candidate for one as most of my driving is short trips.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    @imidazol97

A friend bought a RAV4 Prime, this fall. MSRP. Bought it in Dry Ridge. Dealer said it was the first one sold in KY (no idea if that's true)

I don't see them very often, but I did spot one, this week.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

tjc78 said:

My wife will run the dishwasher with it half empty. Drives me nuts!!!

I sometimes take out the items in a partial load sitting, waiting to be run and wash them by hand. I can wash them conserving water very well, and get the spoons back into the drawer for use. I leave the low use items for a day or two until enough are in the washer for a load.

Some group runs ads about how little water a dishwasher uses compared to handwashing. They show someone with the faucet running full blast while hand washing a few items to make their point. I use very little water compared to the stingy water usage our Whirlpool has.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,516

Don’t get me started on my wife doing them by hand with faucet on full tilt.

She did not watch enough Barney with our son.

Some of you will understand that comment!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

@driver100 said:
    MrsD100 is a very bright lady, but I can load twice as much into a dishwasher. If you do it right it can make a huge difference. Like why let bowls fall forward and take up 2 spaces when you can put them upright if you put them in the right place.

I know absolutely nothing about how to load a DW and that’s the way I like it.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    edited December 2021
    Remember Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    Seeing all the names was very sad or worse.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085

Sitting in a Hyundai service lounge waiting for my ATS to be finished with its rustproofing refresh. The detailing place is part of the same huge dealer group as my GM dealer and is located in their big automall here. The Hyundai place is far nicer and newer than my Cadillac dealer, but word is out that they are relocating to a new build not far from their existing location, so in a year or so they too should have a shiny modern service lounge like this one.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    ab348 said:

Sitting in a Hyundai service lounge waiting for my ATS to be finished with its rustproofing refresh. The detailing place is part of the same huge dealer group as my GM dealer and is located in their big automall here. The Hyundai place is far nicer and newer than my Cadillac dealer, but word is out that they are relocating to a new build not far from their existing location, so in a year or so they too should have a shiny modern service lounge like this one.

Just curious, what type of rustproofing do you get?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    stickguy said:

jmonroe1 said:

@stickguy said:

well, can't say it is really going to be "happy" since it will still end up with my credit card taking a hit.

Use Mrs. @stickguy’s CC. After all dishwashers are for the lady of the house.

jmonroe

I don't let her touch it. Saves me the trouble of having to redo it when she puts everything in wrong.

Are our wifes related?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

stickguy said:

Don’t get me started on my wife doing them by hand with faucet on full tilt.

She did not watch enough Barney with our son.

Some of you will understand that comment!

Not sure if I do get it and I have seen every episode of "Barney Miller".

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    90% of my trips are also short ones near the house, if I do 40 miles a week, I'm lucky. So an EV would be perfect for my new driving style. Leasing would also work but have never done that. Renting a part of a vehicle is something I'm trying to wrap my mind around as one never really owns the vehicle. Being always under warranty is the best feature I'd say & getting something new every 24 to 36 months does sound interesting to be honest but instead of buying it outright which we've mostly done, one has a monthly payment for however one has the lease for.
    So, if I did do it, I'd have to change my mindset and just have to write another check out each month. Just not sure if financing/buying is the best way to go, and just because we've always done that is not a reason to continue if the numbers say leasing is the better option. Never ever considered it because my yearly mileage was usually around 12K to 14K but now that I'm doing somewhere between 3K to 4K, it could work if all the numbers show it does. I know a few of you guys are super knowledgeable about leasing so when the time comes, I'll probably be asking for some help. But with the chip issue still with us, don't see getting something new for a good year or so, maybe even longer. Just the cards we've been dealt I guess.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

90% of my trips are also short ones near the house, if I do 40 miles a week, I'm lucky. So an EV would be perfect for my new driving style. Leasing would also work but have never done that. Renting a part of a vehicle is something I'm trying to wrap my mind around as one never really owns the vehicle. Being always under warranty is the best feature I'd say & getting something new every 24 to 36 months does sound interesting to be honest but instead of buying it outright which we've mostly done, one has a monthly payment for however one has the lease for.
    So, if I did do it, I'd have to change my mindset and just have to write another check out each month. Just not sure if financing/buying is the best way to go, and just because we've always done that is not a reason to continue if the numbers say leasing is the better option. Never ever considered it because my yearly mileage was usually around 12K to 14K but now that I'm doing somewhere between 3K to 4K, it could work if all the numbers show it does. I know a few of you guys are super knowledgeable about leasing so when the time comes, I'll probably be asking for some help. But with the chip issue still with us, don't see getting something new for a good year or so, maybe even longer. Just the cards we've been dealt I guess.

As long as interest rates stay low I would think financing either through a loan or by leasing would be a good idea.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

More appliance woes

11 year old washer exhibiting issues. Decided to replace it. Naturally, we bought a space-age style that is now discontinued.

But, I held firm, and we are just replacing the washer. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    @sandman6472,
    I don't understand why you would lease a vehicle you on drive about 2-3k per year.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

@kyfdx said:
    More appliance woes

11 year old washer exhibiting issues. Decided to replace it. Naturally, we bought a space-age style that is now discontinued.

You guys that have “appliance woes” should keep them to yourselves. You know how contagious that is. 😫

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165

@sandman6472,
    I don't understand why you would lease a vehicle you on drive about 2-3k per year.

You can set low mileage limit and get a cheap payment, but I agree - it works for somebody driving around 6-8k/year, but with such low mileage, it becomes silly. Better buy a used car in a good shape and then own it for 10+ years. It shouldn't cost much to own, other than oil changes every couple of years and annual rubber hose inspection/replacement if the car stays outside.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,386

@dino001 said:
    You can set low mileage limit and get a cheap payment, but I agree - it works for somebody driving around 6-8k/year, but with such low mileage, it becomes silly. Better buy a used car in a good shape and then own it for 10+ years. It shouldn't cost much to own, other than oil changes every couple of years and annual rubber hose inspection/replacement if the car stays outside.

Where is the fun in that?

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085

They call it Permaguard but it appears to be very similar to Fluid Film, almost like liquid soap in consistency.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    kyfdx said:

More appliance woes

For the moment. The mismatch will not go well and out comes your wallet. Ask me how I know.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

we stopped at Lowes just to look at the big selection, and talked to the sales guy. They always have an opinion. Did get some good info on the differences between brands (how they do things). And decided what we went in features and styling (curved handle, stainless interior, and 3rd rack.). At least it gives me something to shop around for.

Needless to say, I am not coming out of this one cheap.

going to call a couple of local places tomorrow to see what they have, and how much to install.

The third rack is awesome and worth the premium.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    We bought a KitchenAid a few years ago; we couldn't be more pleased with it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

interesting time spent online looking up options at the local shops. Have to call some of them tomorrow. None tell you how much delivery and install is, and a few have "call for price" on some units we were interested in. So work will have to wait tomorrow.

we did, however, order one. After looking at various stores, the wife remembered that BJs has appliances on display all the time. So we checked there. And found some really good pricing on a few things. And even better, they are including delivery and installation (and a free 2nd year full warranty) in that price (which was already a lot cheaper than the big box stores that wanted $210 for that). We researched what they offered and found one that had everything we wanted and had good reviews.

So. we ordered up an "upper middle class" level Whirlpool. Had the handle we wanted (style matches our stove and fridge), all stainless insides, and a 3rd rack the wife got hooked on. Only downside, earliest expected delivery date they would give us was 1/21. So hopefully the old one limps along until then, otherwise I am washing by hand again.

the other one I liked (at a different store) was a comparable LG (that would definitely match our LG fridge!). But depending on install cost at the couple of stores that list it (small stores) at least $200 more installed. Lowes was going to be at least $300 more, but could be done soon.

so we will likely wait. Turns out BJs just contracts directly with Whirlpool, so it will be one of their installers doing it. We work directly with them I guess based on the Emails. Hopefully they actually get it by January. Worst case, we find something sooner and just cancel the order but I think we can wait it out.

This was on the news this morning; Only in Florida, golfers scatter as police chase a woman across the golf course in her SUV
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dqIGo4TTtg
    What kind of SUV is that...it looks nice and square.
    I wonder who she was talking to?

@stickguy
    Well done stick. 3 years ago our Florida DW broke down. There was a shortage of some makes then, we wanted a Bosch. Got a Maytag at Home Depot. It took 10 days to deliver, and when it arrived the door had a big dent. It took another week to get a good one. We had to wash dishes by hand for almost 3 weeks! I felt like we were the Waltons.
    The Maytag works fine, I don't like the rack arrangement as much, but American DWs have better grinders.

My BIL says his granddaughter got a new house with her boyfriend, when they put dishes in the dishwasher they don't bother to scrape them off. Young people think dishwashers grind everything on the plate up.

ab348 said:

They call it Permaguard but it appears to be very similar to Fluid Film, almost like liquid soap in consistency.
    My two summer cars don’t need it since they are stored and the cargo van is a lost cause but I want to keep the Kia in good shape.

Last year I sprayed WD40 into the doors and rockers. This year I did the same with Fluid Film. I considered doing the FF complete undercoating but couldn’t see how it would stay on the underside with the meat grinder of salt, sand and brine that they use here. I guess I’ll just spray the underside with the hose every time it gets above freezing.

driver100 said:

This was on the news this morning; Only in Florida, golfers scatter as police chase a woman across the golf course in her SUV
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dqIGo4TTtg

I hope she replaced those divits.

@stickguy said:
    interesting time spent online looking up options at the local shops. Have to call some of them tomorrow. None tell you how much delivery and install is, and a few have "call for price" on some units we were interested in. So work will have to wait tomorrow.

we did, however, order one. After looking at various stores, the wife remembered that BJs has appliances on display all the time. So we checked there. And found some really good pricing on a few things. And even better, they are including delivery and installation (and a free 2nd year full warranty) in that price (which was already a lot cheaper than the big box stores that wanted $210 for that). We researched what they offered and found one that had everything we wanted and had good reviews.

So. we ordered up an "upper middle class" level Whirlpool. Had the handle we wanted (style matches our stove and fridge), all stainless insides, and a 3rd rack the wife got hooked on. Only downside, earliest expected delivery date they would give us was 1/21. So hopefully the old one limps along until then, otherwise I am washing by hand again.

the other one I liked (at a different store) was a comparable LG (that would definitely match our LG fridge!). But depending on install cost at the couple of stores that list it (small stores) at least $200 more installed. Lowes was going to be at least $300 more, but could be done soon.

so we will likely wait. Turns out BJs just contracts directly with Whirlpool, so it will be one of their installers doing it. We work directly with them I guess based on the Emails. Hopefully they actually get it by January. Worst case, we find something sooner and just cancel the order but I think we can wait it out.

That Whirlpool probably has the same components as the KA, same company. Sounds like you did well.

Pretty much. Whirlpool owns Maytag and KA

edited December 2021

Where is the fun in that?

Who said it has to be Corolla?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Matching colors, or stainless steel finish is a challenge if different brands are mixed. The Bosch dw that we have and are happy with has a slightly brighter stainless finish than the rest of the Whirlpool appliances in our kitchen. Thankfully the dw is separate from the others and on an opposite wall so the difference isn't as noticeable.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

tjc78 said:

That Whirlpool probably has the same components as the KA, same company. Sounds like you did well.

I think so, too. From what I know KA and Maytag differ mostly in aesthetics (KA certainly look nicer) and some minor features, like perhaps some clever rack solutions, or some extra cycle that nobody knows about or uses. The main guts are probably exactly the same, except perhaps parts are made so that they can't be exchanged because one has a screw or latch on the left, the other on the right.

When I was shopping for my DW, I went with Bosch - Consumer Reports had a list of top models, from which 6 out of 10 (or so) were Bosch. Whirlpool looked good and had best reliability scores, but their rack development seem to stopped somewhere around 1985 - no folding tynes on either top or bottom shelf. $900 unit looked inside like it was 20 years old in terms of functionality, which may be a good thing for some people, but all other manufacturers moved on and offered much better flexibility. Perhaps people here remember my LG debacle - it stopped working under warranty and LG gave themselves 3 months to replace the control unit. I had Costco lean on them and they bought it back. From what I read LG is still at the bottom in post-sale service, although it wouldn't surprise me if current supply chain issues shook that list upside down. I can't imagine buying LG fridge if their repair schedule was 3 months, but they are certainly very nice and cleverly designed in terms of functionality.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Got lucky back in April. Shopping for a DW for my son's kitchen update. Local Lowe's had received a Kitchenaid model that they don't usually carry. Rather than send it back, they un-boxed it, and put it on the "racetrack". $1199 DW for $799.

Snapped that up! There was no way he was getting a $1200 dishwasher, otherwise.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

@oldfarmer50 said:
    I hope she replaced those divits.

@#$% you beat me to it.

driver100 said:

@stickguy
    We had to wash dishes by hand for almost 3 weeks! I felt like we were the Waltons.

Classic First World problems. :wink:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    stickguy said:

Dodged another bullet today I think. after dinner, loaded up the DW, pushed the selector button on the touch pad, and nothing. Zippo. smacked it, closed the door a few times, poked all the buttons. Still dead. Even tried flipping the panel breaker. Nothing. Looked at all the GFIs, all fine.

so moved on to researching the pitiful supply of units at Lowe's, and planning with the wife to get up there tomorrow (or a local guy, but they don't carry Bosch).

so went out for a walk and got caught in a huge downpour and windstorm. Got completely soaked to the skin. Topper on the night! But on the way back in, flipped some breakers again. Came back in, opened the door, pushed the cycle button and all the lights came on, and it is currently washing away. No clue why, but not complaining.

after this and the flood a couple weeks ago, we are done nursing it along. Just going to break down and order one tomorrow, and hope this one works until it gets put in so we can do it on our terms!

Bosch has started making these again….SHP878ZD5N….which is the one I got. Not cheap, but certainly the best DW I’ve ever had or used.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited December 2021
    With my move 5 mos. ago we ordered new stainless appliances to replace the black ones - including a gas cook top, which we got, and dual wall ovens, microwave and trim kit. They are all KA and were all ordered at the end of June and are “back ordered”, perhaps on a cargo ship off the coast of California, despite being USA made. They have changed their expected delivery date from the end of November to the end of February. All types of supply woes continue…
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Word of advice….Whirlpool contracts service out to local service companies, no owned by Whirlpool. Some are good…some are bad. Some don’t care because they get paid regardless of whether they fix the problem or not. Used to love Whirlpool (and KitchenAid) appliances. At least on the KitchenAid side, the quality has really fallen off.

Bought and returned a KA dishwasher because it sounded like a freight train in my kitchen. KA said it was “normal”. Service people said they couldn’t fix it as it was a design flaw (which I agreed with). $1,000 DW sounding like a $200 DW? No thanks.

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    @graphicguy, hmm…maybe I’m better off with Haier GE 😐.
    sda said:

Matching colors, or stainless steel finish is a challenge if different brands are mixed. The Bosch dw that we have and are happy with has a slightly brighter stainless finish than the rest of the Whirlpool appliances in our kitchen. Thankfully the dw is separate from the others and on an opposite wall so the difference isn't as noticeable.

I have different brands/finishes on all my appliances in the kitchen - Black stainless Whirlpool microwave, black stainless GE stove (they actually match quite well, you would not guess they are different brand if not for the logos), stainless Whirlpool fridge and black Bosh dishwasher. I was buying best appliance at the time and there was no way I'm going to change the rest to match it. I guess that's the advantage of being bachelor - you can simply not care too much about these things... I think part of it being less of an issue is my cabinets and the countertop - they seem to blend well with all these appliance colors, which makes the non-matching less pronounced. It may also be that my kitchen is small and none of these non-matching appliances is on the same plane, so to see their not matching you have to glance multiple times. When the fridge goes out, I'll try to replace it with black stainless, preferably Whirlpool or GE to match the stove and microwave, but with current availability it may be a challenge. Fortunately I don't need one at the moment.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    driver100 said:

The woman was driving a 4runner

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Appliances not matching?? Say it isn’t so 😵‍💫 !
    edited December 2021
    BTW, there is some recent news regarding supply. Apparently car makers realized they have much more pricing power than they thought as long as they "keep the discipline". Mercedes CFO went as far as stating that they are considering conscious undersupply. All of it says sticker prices are going up. They want to take ADM profits away from the dealers.

This may work for a while, but I doubt they'll be able to resist pumping the inventories once the supply chain is up and running again. All it takes is one to decide they wants to profit from sales numbers not margins and the cabal will likely fold. But it can take a little while.

2018 430i Gran Coupe