Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'd pick the regular enclosed van.

That is unique, though. Look how short the bed is. You can carry cargo inside and outside.

Just got back from Brazil and 3 of the top 14 selling vehicles are sub-compact pickups. They are 2 seaters, basically, based on regular FWD cars about the size of a Fiesta (B segment). 500 kg payload, so 1100 lbs. Not bad.

Keep in mind they are CHEAP! You could buy three (!) VW Saveiros for less than 1/3rd the cost of a VW Amarok mid-size pickup.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Keep in mind they are CHEAP!

...and that's why they sell.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The Fiat Strada sold there may potentially come to North America as a compact Ram pickup (Dakota replacement).

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Not so sure this could fill the Dakota's shoes, but I'd still like to see it here. Seeing new ideas (like this) is always good. :) Hope they bring it over—or build it here to avoid the Chicken Tax.

Bob
  • Options
    If NAFTA and Mercosul merge in some way, maybe.

Brazil is getting a lot of vehicles made in Mexico now, so who knows?

The Chevy Montana is similar, but it has a neat step just in front of the rear wheel arch. It's a neat design feature I'm sure Bob would appreciate.

That Fiat in the photo is the double cab, believe it or not. There is a smaller extended cab, and a tinier regular cab. 3 cab sizes! Wild...
  • Options
  • Options
    Would be nice to see a more fuel efficient XT model here, just tune it to run on regular (output is far less than the peak of some JDM models, so that should be possible).
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Diesel, diesel, diesel.... :shades:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Both!
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    So you want a diesel XT that runs on regular gas? :P
  • Options
    And a panoramic roof and 7, no make that 8, seats. Under 3000 lbs with 40mpg for about $20k or so with Navi/backup cam standard.

Not that I'm asking for too much.... :D
  • Options
    Glad to see they didn't go too crazy and mess with a successful formula. Very evolutionary, which is good.

Top half looks like an Outback and the bottom half like an Impreza. Strong family resemblance.

Mostly they had to not mess it up and looks like they succeeded.
  • Options
    Mostly they had to not mess it up and looks like they succeeded.

Agreed. I could do without the bulbous headlights (also a trait shared with the new Impreza and current-gen L/O), but that just seems to be in vogue these days. Big rims and buggy headlights are all the rage. :sick:

If they put the Impreza interior in the thing, I'll be sad. The current-gen styling of the dash and instrument cluster is downright gorgeous compared to the blocky, bland mess in the Impreza.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Let's wait to see a high res image, but the headlights don't seem as wild as the Impreza or Legacy.

Impreza's dash is soft to the touch, at least. Let's see. Usually they are very similar, with only subtle differences in colors or textures. Plus the pillars and roof of course.
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess I've never understood the touch aspect of a dash. The only time I ever touch the dash is when I'm cleaning it. :confuse:

I care more about how it looks (and functions), because I spend hundreds (if not thousands) of hours inside my cars.
  • Options
    Me neither but there are a lot of dash strokers out there.

I just want padded elbow rests, and our 09 Forester has them, at least the outboard ones.
  • Options
    Amen, brother! The design of the door panels on the current Forester are excellent. If anything, I wouldn't mind even more padding on the elbow rests.

While the overall design of the panel in the Fiesta is not as good, I do like the padded leather elbow rests. I give those a big thumbs up.
  • Options
    And I'm one of them. A hard plastic dash looks—no, make that *feels* cheap. End of story.

Bob
  • Options
    Call me nuts but I actually cut out some rubberized foam and custom made an elbow rest on the center console of my Miata. On the door I also added a layer of foam padding. All removeable.

Hey, you spend a lot of time in the car, you don't want your elbows resting on a hard plastic surface.
  • Options
    I don't think it's nuts at all, but you have to consider the source here, too. :blush:

My first vehicle was my 1969 Ford Econoline, which has a pair of comfy captain's chairs, each with two fold-down arm rests that have a steel core surrounded by copious amounts of foam and a soft vinyl cover. After driving that vehicle (almost exclusively) for three years (1995-1997), including three trips between Oregon and Alaska, I came to highly regard my arm rests. :)
  • Options
    I also modified the dead pedal and added a pad for my knees on the door where the bottle holder sticks out. :shades:

I'm thinking about actually removing the OEM arm rests and adding padding permanently, with a black fabric wrap to make it look stock.
  • Options
    Nice.

I cannot motivate myself to make those sorts of adjustments. I have too many other projects on standby that are more pressing. :sick:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Send your door panels to Pat. ;)
  • Options
    Haha; no kidding! His Katzkin (sp?) project is quite impressive (and it looks pretty darn good, too)!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    http://carscoop.blogspot.de/2012/10/spied-2014-subaru-forester-xt-with-20l.html?- - m=1

Tires are slightly larger than outgoing model. Non-turbo models get 225/60x17 (same size as Outback), and XT models get 225/55x18 tires.

Bob
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    They finally got rid of the hood scoop! YAY! Headlight washers - cool!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Remember, these are Japanese-spec models. Ours will differ somewhat. I doubt we will see headlight washers here.

Bob
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    I doubt we will see headlight washers here.

Unless we get gas discharge headlights that require them....along with self leveling to prevent blinding other drivers.
  • Options
    In other words, no washers. :P
  • Options
    FMIC (front mounted intercooler).
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Note the asterisk on the 250 HP turbo rating: "with premium grade gasoline".

I wonder if that might also suggest the possibility of using standard grade for lower output?
  • Options
    Yup, Bob send another link from the Canada site that even specified that. I bet it makes 240hp on regular gas, which is plenty and class competitive.

Sounds good to me!
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    hmm...2.5 NA, and 2.0 turbo Direct Injection.

It suggests to me that there is a possibility that the Turbo can do better mpg, should one practice mild driving. I would think that the 2.0 could get better highway mpg...
  • Options
    It may be geared taller also.

I'm leaning towards that engine, personally, even with a 2mpg or so expected penalty.
  • Options
    colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    This is always a very bad idea. A knock sensor is a very poor replacement for premium fuel, and the results can be expensive.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Ford did a durability test on an EcoBoost engine and ran it for the equivalent of 160k miles, and it fared well.

Though now that I think about it, I'm not sure what type of fuel they used.

Do we know the compression ratio on the new 2.0T? Direct Injection can be used to cool the intake charge, and allows higher compression, even sand turbos.
  • Options
    "Sand" turbos? Is that something we saw at the Jersey shore this weekend?

OT - Long Beach Island now has ~6 blocks of beach front property. :sick:
  • Options
    Freudian slip. Meant "sans turbos". :D

I visited Long Beach Island once and had a great week there with friends, stayed at a place their parents rent. Must've been right about 6 blocks from the beach so now beach front property. :sick:
  • Options
    The exterior of the car certainly doesn't burn my senses. I continue to feel it is a reasonable evolution of the previous model.

I'm curious to see how it drives compared to the current gen. If it has an "new suspension," I'm hoping it returns to the gen 2 driving characteristics, or at least closer to that! Finally, I know it is unreasonable to hope the six-speed manual is offered in the 2.0L, but that would sure be sweet.

It's a shame for an engine like that to not be offered in a performance-oriented trim. :cry:
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    No manual for the XT. The new High-Torque CVT sounds really interesting, as it has 6 or 8 manual steps (aka faux gears). The JDM Legacy 2.0 DIT, which has a higher output version of this engine (296 hp vs 250 hp in the XT), also has SI-Drive, like that found in the WRX-STI. When is S# mode, the CVT has 8 steps, and when in the other two modes has only 6 steps. Now they haven't announced anything about SI-Drive being in the XT, but it too comes with a choice of 6 or 8 shifting steps (close ratio or ultra-close ratio). That leads me to think that the XT also has SI-Drive. We'll learn more at the LA auto show later this month.

I've driven several new Subies ('13 Impreza, '13 Crosstrek and '13 Outback) with the new Gen 2 CVT, and have been quite impressed with it. When in manual mode (6 steps), the paddle shifters work great. The shifts are quick, precise and smooth. Yeah, I know having fake gears seems strange, but it does work.

Bob
  • Options
    colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    They used premium, which the ecoboost 3.5L you are referring to requires.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    The 3.5 F-150 EcoBoost uses regular gas. Not sure about other Fords with EcoBoost engines.

Bob
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    http://www.cars101.com

Also, the SOA site has a teaser with some additional info: 32 mpg (up 5 mpg from the current car). I'm sure that's the FB25 w/CVT. It will also have an available power rear gate.

http://www.subaru.com/auto-show/la-2012.html

Bob
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    It works, but it's not the same experience as a manual. Particularly from the perspective that you can simply elect not to shift the car, and it will do it for you at a preset RPM. In a manual, you can bounce off the rev limiter if you elect to do so.
  • Options
    Wow! If the XT comes in at 30 as suggested, that would just be astounding.
  • Options
    That could be said of any car with paddle shifters, even dual-clutch cars. The experience is not the same. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I think my next daily driver will have paddle shifters. That 3rd pedal is just not as much fun as it used to be.

Bob
  • Options
    css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Good morning Bob, and hello to all on this forum. It has been a long time. I have been busy with family and work. I hope all of you have made it through the storm safely.

Bob, I never learned to drive with a manual trans? I would like to use the paddle shifters - can you damage the transmission if you don't shift properly with the paddles? I can't tell if I'm doing it correctly or not.

I drive an Outback now. Gas prices forced me to move out of the Tribeca.

The side profile of the new Forester looks very much like the current Tribeca.
    image post 583

I hope I linked this properly.

Charlie
  • Options
    Hey Charlie! Yes, it's been too long since you've been here. No, you can't use paddle shifters incorrectly. If you do, like put it in the wrong gear at a certain speed, it won't allow it. You should go test drive one. It's really very easy.

Yes, we survived Sandy. Now gearing up for a possible nor'easter this coming week. Good to see you back!

Bob