Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• Options
    oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I have made quite a few purchases on Ebay and have learned never to bid on an item until 20 seconds before the end of the auction. (That is, unless it ends at 3AM). It's called "Poaching" because you can "steal" the auction from someone who thinks they have it won. Some people (mostly sellers) think that it's unfair, but it is common practice.

It works best on less active auctions. If there are 2 or more bidders pushing up the bid, it doesn't make much difference. Sellers can protect themselves with minimum opening bids and "reserves".

Hope you get you CD decks.
    -james
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I gotta remember to re-check it on Sunday night. Someone "poached" my single CD at the last minute - beat my bid by $1!

-juice
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    james, I've always called that "sniping". I do it too.

-Colin
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947
    kinda silly if you think about how it works. If you put in the maximum amount you are willing to pay, then it doesn't matter what happens after that. So, for instance, Juice, if you put in the max amount you were willing to pay, then even if you get outbid at the last minute, it shouldn't bother you. That's why Ebay works the way it does (by only revealing the amount you are currently paying and not the amount you are WILLING to pay). The way I figure it, if someone wants to pay more, then its theirs. Pretty much what the whole idea of bidding is about, right?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I do that also and I think it's fair -- it's an open auction. If you really want something you need to sit there hitting refresh making sure no one cuts in on you.

Ken
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I agree I put down what I'm willing to pay and then let it go from there. Problem is when someone puts in a ringer to bump your bid up :(

-mike
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    gbrozen, you're overlooking something.

bidding your max price early allows the price to escalate early assuming at least one other person does the same. yes it's true that unless sniped you have a good idea at the end of the auction whether or not you're getting it, but you're also much more likely to pay more for it.

the best way is to put in a low amount, but currently high bid early to get your name on the bid list so the seller sees you are interested early and not a last-minute punk who may not follow through. then at the last minute, assuming you are still interested in the item at its current rate, open multiple new bid windows and put increasing amounts in each of them. for example if it's $150 currently and you'll pay up to $203 (another tip, don't use round numbers) then you might open 6 additional windows going $158, $167, $176, $188, $195, $203. then in the final 30 seconds of the auction, click submit on each of these a few seconds apart starting with the lowest. this makes being counter-sniped very difficult! :-D

of course if the other guy is simply willing to pay more than you and they go high early enough you'll still loose, but *that* is what eBay is all about.

I agree with mike though, shills and shielding are obviously wrong. I can't see how sniping is really wrong, it is totally different.

-Colin
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Front corner shot. You can see how much grille comes over bumper:

Closeup detail shot. Grille has different mesh, blue badge background, & obvious STI emblem:

Pic of stock grille w/stock hoodscoop for comparison:

Stephen
  • Options
    jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    jim
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    ateixeira Jun 14, 2002 9:33am

juice-
    I'll try to take pics of the swap. First I've got to get/borrow a camera which means I won't be doing it this weekend :(
    Well, guess I'll just wash the 2000 RS rims that I picked up this evening from a young lad. Oooh his Black WRX wagon looked soooo gooood :drooling:

-Dave

p/s Yes, I'll wax it on the inside too :)
  • Options
    Yup looking good.
    Are you keeping a photo album of your WRX just for keepsake, like, to show how it became Stephen Transformed i?

-Dave
  • Options
    look what I found

http://i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196141

might still be available :)

-Dave

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • Options
    Stephen,

Nice grille -- I like it. What would the Modifications topic be without your weekly updates? ;-)

No before and after pictures so we can see the intricate changes?

Ken
  • Options
    msuvetmsuvet Member Posts: 54
    I've got a wintergreen VDC & been wanting to have the windows tinted. Someone brought up the thought that maybe it wouldn't look quite right... Anyone have their wintergreen's windows tinted & how does it look?
    Juice,
    let us know how your wife's car looks with whatever tint you go with. It would be great to see pictures, too :)
    Christina
  • Options
    Christina-
    I believe it was me. :)
    juice was considering going with the metalic tint, and I thought the mirror look would look strange with wintergreen. I could be wrong, but my imagination couldn't see the high contrast of the metalic look against the pastel like colour of the wintergreen going together.

-Dave
  • Options
    originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    Just because a tint is metalic doesn't mean it will be a mirrored look. Metalic refers to the type of material used to creat the tint. Metalics can be highly reflective, slightly reflective or barely reflective depending on the brand and type of tint. I have a hybrid Madico tint that is metalic but I wouldn't say it is reflective. Metalics are guaranteed not to fade where dyed tints can fade or change color over time.

bit
  • Options
    I remember several thousand posts ago someone mentioning the availability of those plastic wind deflectors for Subarus. I think they were from the UK. Anyone have anymore info?

Thanks!

bit
  • Options
    I mean I see clearly now :)
    Thanks for the clarification.

Those plastic thingie, IIR I think Ed (lark6) mentioned about it (many many post ago) and I think too that they're UK.

-Dave
  • Options
    I'd mentioned that all Impreza to date are on +55mm offset. Well, it still holds true except when its wheels are 16x7 it is +53mm.
    Yes, I got me a set of the 6 spoke 16x7 RS wheels :D but I broke my bank so the tires will have to wait :(

-Dave
  • Options
    Thanks Dave - found it. It was Pat (HondaFreak) that posted the message. It is UK and I am going to try and see if I can order them.

bit
  • Options
    bit-
    You actually went through those thousands?
    I don't think I have your patience :D
    What was the site anyway?

-Dave
  • Options
    Dave -I did a search in Modifications II. The site is http://www.subaru.co.uk/index2.htm

Surprising the options they offer in the UK. A nifty interior light, stainless interior door sill trim, stainless rear bumper cover, headlight covers to mention a few. I'll post if I get a response from the dealer I contacted.

bit

• Options
    a dual rear cupholder option. I ordered and installed in my WRX wagon. Easy upgrade.

Stephen
  • Options
    Stephen - Where did you order from.

bit
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    If you get around to getting a set and installing them post photos, I am also interested in a set.

Cheers Pat. (on a sabbaticle from the lake rained out)
  • Options
    Well, I did the swap yesterday and...
    in works. :)
    Except, I notice a deterioration in the sound quality :( No wonder y'all complain about the sound; looks like the unit is the culprit more than the speakers. I'll find out when the OB's unit goes into the OBS (non-upgraded speakers). Until then, I'll see (hear) how I do with the sound the next couple of weeks. If it irks me, I'll swap it to the OBS. I'm sure Mom won't mind :D

Pros:
    Play 6 CDs

Cons:
    I think I loss 5 watts/channel.
    Loss Mid-Range tuning.
    Loss Weather Band.
    Loss Clock

-Dave
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    I would also be interested in the E-mail address for whoever you dealt with in the UK.

I did E-Mail a couple of dealers but never got any replies.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Here's the address of the UK Subaru/Isuzu dealer I ordered from. They were prompt and friendly.
    The part# for the WRX dual rear cupholder is #F6010FE100. Cost was 34 pounds and 10 pounds shipping. I ordered back on 10/31/01.

Quenby Brothers Ltd
    High Street, Baldock
    Hertfordshire SG7 6AZ

Email: quenby.brothers@virgin.net
    Ph# 01462 499930

Stephen
  • Options
    wmiller4wmiller4 Member Posts: 97
    Anyone know if metalic tints degrade a radar detector's performance? Especially one that with LIDAR 360 degree detection ? Kinda curious. Thinking of getting the back 5 done with a "limo" (5%) tint. (Granite Black '02 Bean)
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Looks great...Now you need to paint your badge.
  • Options
    actually a deep blue background as opposed to the stock badge's black. It's subtle but different.

Stephen
  • Options
    Thanks for all the leads/comments. The poacher that won the first auction only bid once, at the last second. I felt like contacting the seller, but it wasn't meant to be, oh well.

I lost the 2nd auction too, but the guy bid on Friday and it closed on Sunday. I went to check but I missed the deadline by an hour, DOH!

But I followed that lead to i Club and asked the seller to e-mail me. I told him I'd pay what the winning bidder on eBay paid for the one I lost ($167.50), though I prefer someone local because shipping adds another $15.

Any how, it seems they are common, so I'm not that worried. Thanks all.

-juice
  • Options
    an i-Cluber I'd bought the RS wheels from (NJ) has intent to sell his WRX in-dash 6 CD in the near future. Yes, I've got you in mind, so let me know if you're interest and I'll "dib" on it.

-Dave
  • Options
    wmiller4 Jun 16, 2002 8:02pm

One way to find out is to get a piece of scrap film from a tinter, wrap it around your radar detector and see if it changes anything. Most tint places have lots of scrap film so they should be more than happy to provide you with some samples.

Ken
  • Options
    Yeah, Dave, I'm still looking so have them e-mail me if you could (ateixeira@ifc.org).

-juice
  • Options
    juice-
    just e-mailed him your info.

Anyone interested in a RS muffler?
    He's selling that too. :D

-Dave
  • Options
    He's been in touch, looks good. $150 I think, and from a local guy (no shipping) would be ideal.

Fingers are crossed.

-juice
  • Options
    Did you happen to find out what your relative's dealership name was/is in Houston? I am searching for a gently used Trooper LS or LTD.

Jim
  • Options
    Yes, and I'm glad you asked becaues I'd forgotten who wanted it.

It's Excel Motors in Houston, TX, the number is (281) 597-1900. His name is Farah (SP?), and he co-owns the place with his brother. Tell him AJ sent you. My wife is his wife's cousin.

I thought it was cool that he offered a free warranty as long as you finance with him, so check it out. He said Isuzus tended to be reliable (the only way he profits at all) so he'd probably be willing to even search for one for you.

-juice
  • Options
    OK I have a chance to digest the sound quality difference and I thought I share some more.
    The sound quality is definitely different. Even my GF noted that the songs she usually listens to sounded different. The best I could describe is dull and lacking body with volume up to 5. At 6, there's an almost sudden increase in volume and at 7, it's about pretty loud by then, is when the sounds come alive. High end is crisp and bass firm, if you could tolerate listening at that level. Overall the sound is still somewhat flat. Guess the absence of Mid-Range control has something to do with it...maybe the unit don't quite match the speakers. Oh, I've got 8 OEM speakers which came with the model which includes 2 front tweeter and 2 aft by the tailgate.
    I'll wait awhile before entertaining the subwoofer route or weigh my other options.

-Dave
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    Sorry I'm late on this, but the intrepid Crew has misled you; a rare occurence to be sure!

Yes tires partially account for the OB ride height, but the main thing is that the spring perches on OB struts are mounted higher than on normal Legacy and Impreza struts; a bespoke component just for the Outback, I'm afraid. Swapping your struts out for KYB AGX or other aftermarket struts will drop the car a good 2", cause the tires to rub against the springs, and result in damaging changes in camber.

Your only solution is better tires or a plus 1 wheel/tire upgrade.
  • Options
    Got the 6CD changer, from a local guy for $150, and he even delivered it to me.

Now I'll print out the hints above and hope for the best. I may not get to it this weekend though, since we'll be out of town.

-juice
  • Options
    OK, were those hints in this topic?

You guys care to re-post them or point me to them? I need tips on basically taking the center console apart in a 2000+ Legacy/Outback.

-juice
  • Options
    those WRX 6 disc deals did fit in my Legacy, and the only issue was the harnesses not being compatible. It would still be fairly straight forward to figure out the leads, would it not? I mean, couldn't I just cut the harnesses off and connect the similar wires, or better yet, splice the two harnesses together with additional pieces of wire? Or are we potentially talking different electrical voltages/wattages/ohms, whatever?

Jim
  • Options
    The seller said if you are swapping OE units from one Subaru to another, it's just plug-and-play. In other words you use the supplied harness, and just plug it in, plus the antennae. No splicing.

Turns out he works at Best Buy in the stereo section. He had an XM radio put in, pretty cool.

Why don't you buy that one from the link above, Jim? I may want a 2nd one but I'll search for another local guy, there are lots of active i Club members in this area.

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    He said that in a certain year around 96 the harnesses changed. I'm not sure if it is true for the legacies though.

-mike
  • Options
    Juice - Here are the install instructions:

http://bitman.com/soobinstall/

bit
  • Options
    So I was giving up on the hope of plug and play, but still held on to a bit of hope for it working via the splicing-in option. Hypov's isn't as old as mine, is it? I have seen an E-bay sale where someone edited the auction in the middle and said that they had discovered it would NOT fit a 1994, for instance, but you would think the Best Buy guy would know. I just want to know if the thing would even turn on if I spliced it in.

Jim