Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew - Modifications II

Comments

• barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I like!! :-) I'll be sure and light the incense too.

Stephen
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yes, Jim, I know what you mean. I'll try to pass on the good will. Sounds like a sweet store.

I can't see that 2nd photo, can you try it again? I can see the other 2.

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    This is in reply to sten2's request in the Cleaning forum but to all generally.

I did a plus-one wheel/tire upgrade when changing to the Pilot Sports. My rationale was better handling on pavement and in the rain, plus a stiffer sidewall for handling curves. I had seen two Forester WRSport models prepared by Prodrive in the UK in late 2000 which were running on 17-inch wheels, and thought this might be my answer. Appearances weren't top priority but I didn't want to make things look worse.

Size is 225/50-17 on 17x7 OZ Superleggera wheels. The original combo I tried was 225/55-17 on 17x7 Speedline P7 wheels, the recommended combination from distributor The Tire Rack. These didn't work - had rubbing problems due to tire width and improper wheel offset. (P7 wheel = +53mm IIRC, correct for Impreza and Legacy; Superleggera = +48mm, correct for Forester, works on other models as well.) I ran that combo for 2 days; Tire Rack accepted the wheels back and sent out the 50-series. I sold the P7 wheels to a WRX owner and broke even on the transaction.

I had numerous e-mail exchanges with engineers from Prodrive in the UK before settling on the OZs and 225/50-17 combination. They had used both the Superleggeras and Speedline Superturismos, which were no longer available. Prodrive confirmed that the suspension settings are the same for the UK-spec S turbos which they convert to WRSports and the US-spec S that I drive.

There is no rubbing with the current combination. So far (approximately 1000 miles) they've given me all the handling benefits I expected. Excellent wet traction; improved dry traction and lateral grip (though I haven't given them the backroads workout I'd wanted yet). Ride has not been noticeably harmed.

The major tradeoff is noise. They are noisier than the OEM Geolandars; so much so in fact that, according to my Subaru dealer, I am mistaking their sounds for the sound of yet another failing rear wheel bearing. Two dealer techs drove the car and attributed the noise to the tires. However, the tires give off a dull roar as opposed to the whirring roar of the bearing. I heard this while the Geolandars were on the car as well. I expect the wheels will have to fall off before SoA gets involved, at which point I feel sure they will attribute the failure to the use of the non-OEM wheels and tires. Given that this is a known problem with Foresters and Imprezas (and many of the latter have been modified far more extensively than the former), that I have a service history with SoA, and that several dealerships have begun to replace the bearings with the sturdier Legacy version, I can't see how that argument would stand.

But I digress. The benefits of the Pilot Sport A/S have so far outweighed the costs. Speaking of which, they are pricey - $189/each from Tire Rack - but hopefully I got what I paid for. We'll see how treadwear goes - they are rated 400 so that is promising. If I had to do it all over again I may have opted for something cheaper and with shorter tread life, but that's the price I pay for being a guinea pig.

Ed
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Great write-up!
    You still have your OEM wheels, don't you?
    You could just throw them back on and see if think you're getting bearing noise.

-Dennis
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Dennis,

I did and I do. Should take it back to the dealer with that setup.

Ed
  • strider98strider98 Member Posts: 89
    Azenis sports? Whenever I get my wagon, I was wondering if the dealer could replace the Poortenzas with these.

Jimmyp1: Which dealership did you get yours at?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I wouldn't get em as a daily driver tire. They are great auto-x tires but as a daily driver they'll be gone in less than 10K miles, and have poor rain traction.

-mike
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    I own no such tires. There's a Jim using the screen name jfl, or something like that, and one or two others, anyone?

Jim (no azenis)
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    I replaced my OEM RE92s with RE92s (but with WRX rims included!)

Jim
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    Still trying to track down a set of UK side visors for my GT wagon. Emailed 3 UK dealers (including Quinby Bros as mentioned here) with no response. Going to start making calls this week.

bit

• lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    bit...you might try [email protected]. Got visors for my 01 Forester from him. Had zero luck with the UK and the shipping costs from there and Australia are $$$$.
    They are located in the northeast and their phone was 877-782-2789. Hope this helps..........
    How do you like your visors? Who is [email protected] anyway? Thanks for the tip. I will give it a shot.

bit
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    bit,

exeter subaru is in NYC, or maybe Long Island. they are semi-serious about their web/mail-order parts biz.

-Colin
    That would look sharp with a window tint. Plus you could vent the interior even in the rain.

-juice
    Yeah, I don't mind the way they look at all plus I could use them since I always have my dog in the car. As we know, the water rolls right of the roof and into the window controls on the door if the window is open at all.
    As for Exeter... are you sure it is [email protected] or mike at exetersubaru.com?

Thanks, bit
    bit....the Exeter I dealt with is Exeter Subaru located in N.H. Mike is their parts guy and highly touted in the New England forum of the I-Club. He was a joy to deal with and I got my visors in short order.
    Took me quite a while to locate him and had a lot of negative comments/responses in seeking help from the "crew". Good news is my personal research/search paid off and I am well pleased with how they look/perform. I have had them on the better part of two years and do NOT have any of the noises people grouse about. I admit to being very precise with the installation but even with that in consideration,it was very easy.
    Hope this helps.....
    I emailed Exeter. But I also found them at http://www.caraddons.com/ made buy Ventshade for $62.

bit

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    << exeter subaru is in NYC, or maybe Long Island. >>

I thought they were in Exeter New Hampshire. I know there's a Subie dealer there, and I believe that's their name.

Bob
    bit....looks like a much better option. When I got mine there was very little in the way of choices....looks like you have found a pot of gold. Moreover $62 is considerably cheaper than I paid and dramatically cheaper than if you buy overseas. GO FOR IT!!
    hmm, I must be mistaken. oops!

-Colin
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    I do know that 225 width will fit the Forester (ala Ed aka Lark6), but +48mm offset.
    Anyone with pre-2k Outbacks have 225s mounted on +52 or +55mm offsets?

-Dave
    I got a response from Exeter and they do not car window visors for the Legacy/Outback. Id did more research and it seems no matter who claims to be the manufacturer they all look like the visors from VentShade. Their's are 2 piece (per side) and attach with foam tape to the roof just above the black trim since the Lagacy has frameless door windows. Lakepop - is that how they install on the Forester?

bit
    The more I look at the pic of the UK Subaru visors the more Ilke them. They look one piece and they seem to attach to the black trim and not directly to the roof. Going to do some more research and see if I can get a response.

bit
    bit....yes mine attach just above the black trim via some 3m tape. They are one piece and look pretty much like the pic.
    Bummer on the nada for your machine. I guess you will have to work the UK side. In my search I think I also found them in Australia. Both had some $$$$$ shipping.
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    What about MacNeil Automotive weatherflectors (mats.com)I think these fit up in the channel instead of taped on
    or autoanything.com.
    Gene
  • mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    I am thinking about getting the upgrade for the security system . Is it worth it . I was also wondering if with the upgrade do the doors lock when you put it in gear . That was one of the features I miss that was in my Honda Accord .

Thanks to all

mike k
    Yeah, I checked McNeil and unfortunately they are not available for the Legacy/Outback.

Thanks anyway,
    bit
    I meant which dealer did you get your car. I am 75% sure I am getting a WRX at the end of August and I was just wondering if you had any probs w/ any of them, or if you could recommend any of the 3 in Houston. Thanks in advance...

Seth (sorry, not Dave or Stephen...)
  • seamus3seamus3 Member Posts: 98
    though i'm no longer a sooby owner(it was totaled in an accident) i just stopped by to give an update and read a little. i was going to join the vw fam but decided against it and went for a muscle car. i bought a 1967 chevy camaro SS. original dark blue with the white stripe across the front and original light blue interior. it is one bad car. though i do miss the AWD and gas mileage of the sooby i have what i really wanted, power.
    sorry to hear about the accident-- and I hope you're a decent mechanic or willing to learn from competent friends & family!

I've known too many people that get into older cars and take a bath on paying others to keep them running, plus overpaying initially too.

but don't let that deter you-- my father and I have a '69 Camaro RS/SS 396. it's not a daily driver but I've been there, done that with a '65 Chevelle.

-Colin
    Glad you're OK, and sorry to hear about the end of that Scooby's life.

Pop in once in a while to let us know how you're doing. You really gonna use an old muscle car as a daily driver?

-juice
    I should have clarified a bit, too. I own a 1994 Legacy Turbo (see http://www.thepearsonhome.com/subaru_legacy.htm). But, I have had experiences with two Subaru dealers in Houston. By far, and in tandem with the majority of the Texas iClub members, I would recommend West Houston Subaru. Bruce is the service guy, but I can't comment on the salesmen. Good luck!

Jim

That's probably the one I'll go to as I live off Highway 6 north of I-10. It's only about 5-6 miles from me.
  • hgutsteinhgutstein Member Posts: 65
    I have not dealt with them but they are getting lots of good press on I-club. I have done all my dealings at WHS, but I would call to all 4 dealers (include McRee in League City) to see where you get the best price
    Didn't know they had one in League City. Is it a smaller one or what? Also, does anyone know which one is the most mod-friendly. Thanks in advance for all the help...
    McRee in League City was formerly known as Gay Subaru/Pontiac/GMC. Mod-friendly, WHS has sold some fairly decked out WRX's, mainly cosmetic stuff, but I have also seen them working on lowered WRX's. Beyond that level of mechanical alteration (the lowering) I can't comment. Anybody (any dealer) is going to void the warranty at some point. It all comes down to how far you're going to go with the mods.

Jim
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Hey I need your opinions. I'm considering getting one of these Kartboy Knuckleball Shiftknobs.

What do you think? Which color, BTW?

Ken

• subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I'd say go with the black with blue shift knob.

Why? Blue for World Rally Blue, and Black to match the stock shift knob. :-)

FWIW,

-Brian
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Brian,

Thanks for the input. Actually, that's the combination I was thinking of getting.

Ken
    Cobb Tuning has come out with a new Double Adjustable Shifter...

http://cobbtuning.com/legacy/drivetrain1.html#shifter

bit

Cobb Tuning has come out with a new Double Adjustable Shifter...

http://cobbtuning.com/legacy/drivetrain1.html#shifter

bit

bit-- good find, really interesting.

I suppose there's some folks on the iClub who have already tried them...

-Colin
    Whiteline adj 20mm-24mm. I have it set at 22mm. I have a fixed Whiteline 22mm front swaybar as well.

Stephen :-)
    Looks good. That thing is beefy!

-juice
    I compared it to the WRX sedan's 20mm bar I took off and the Whiteline was noticeably beefier!

Stephen
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    bit - Did you try Ace Kensington? I have a number for another dealer (not with me now though) that I'll post tomorrow.

Stephen - What was the shipping cost on the rear cup holder? If it's crazy, I could have a friend pick one up for me when he visits home.

-Dennis
    I'll have to look at the invoice when I get home. :-)

Stephen
    I recall lots of discussion way back when about driving lights like those from PIAA. I want more illumination when we get caught driving at night on small 2 lane roads on our roadtrip. Is there a good option for this purpose out there and what are the trade-offs... like draw on the alternator?

bit
  • rplumrplum Member Posts: 48
    Keep that swaybar nice and clean! Not sure where you live, but the Whiteline sway bar that I had on my 98 2.5RS looked like poop (rust) after a year or so (and 1 Michigan winter). If I were to get another I'd paint it or powdercoat is before installation.

Other than that it worked great.

Ryan
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'm so anal w/my WRX that I'll surely be crawling underneath everytime I wash or detail it, LOL! :-)

Stephen