Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Plymouth Breeze Oil Leak

krockkrock Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Plymouth
My 96 Plymouth Breeze is leaking oil. I am
assuming the problem is with the head gasket since
so many other Chrysler 2.0 L engines have had the
same problem. And, the location of where the oil
is coming from. I would like to know if anyone
else has had success in getting Chrysler to pay for
the repairs outside of the 3 year/ 36k mile
warranty? I think Chrysler should pay at least for
part of the repairs since it is a common problem.
Does anyone know if I can just keep driving the
car the way it is (keeping an eye on the oil
level), or will the head gasket blow out completely
eventually?

Comments

• mazda323mazda323 Member Posts: 66
    Do you mean the valve cover gasket or the head gasket?? If it's just the valve cover gasket, it's probably realy inexpensive and easy to do. You can keep driving the car as it is, as long as you check the oil level.
    If it's the head gasket that is leaking, you wouldn't see any oil dripping outside the engine. A leaking head gasket can damage your car's engine and needs to be looked at asap. It can be quite expensive.
  • drivehard1drivehard1 Member Posts: 20
    I owned a 1996 Plymouth Breeze with the 2 liter 4 banger which was fuel efficent, but that was the only good thing about that vehicle. Everything went wrong with that car. We had numerous radiators, fan relays, brakes, door locks, windshield wiper motors, and when 58K hit the odometer the oil leak started and I took it in to a dealership to have them say you have a faulty headgasket, which would have been a repair of over $550.00. No way was I going to pay that when I didn't even like the car. I need a reliable efficient car so I just decided just to buy a new car and went out and bought a 1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE and won't go back to Chrysler Again. Sorry but I didn't get it fixed because I didn't want to deal with chrysler and more problems with that Breeze.
    Brad :) Hope You Had a Good Easter!!
  • krockkrock Member Posts: 2
    Chrysler agreed to change the head gasket on my 96 Plymouth Breeze for a $100.00 deductible. So I guess there is a secret warranty for these Chrysler four cylinder head gaskets out there!
  • nuohlacnuohlac Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1996 Plymouth Breeze and had the same problem with my head gasket leaking at around 55,000 miles. Luckily we were smart enough this time to buy the extended warranty on a Chrysler product. All we paid was a $50.00 co-pay and the dealership fixed the head gasket leak. Talked to the dealer the other day and he told me it was a common problem in the 2.0. To bad to hear that the PT cruiser comes with a 2.0, wouldn't own one now.
  • 1owner1owner Member Posts: 1
    I own a 98 Breeze with the 2.0 vibration machine in it, and yep, 28,000 and the head gasket blew. Luckly, mine was under warrantee and had no problem having the dealer fix it (except having to pay for a rental car for 3 days). Honestly I have no other complaints with it. It has 48,500 on it now and it's for sale (new job gave me a company car), if anyone wants to try their luck with a newer model with a new head gasket send me an e-mail richburgess@hotmail.com
  • ljelje Member Posts: 1
    I own a 96 Plymouth breeze and at about 50,000 started having oil leak. Six month later and numerous trips to the mechanic, they have now replaced the head gasket twice and are (even as we speak) replacing the engine block. IT JUST WON'T QUIT!

Fortunately I had purchased an extended warranty. (The best $1000 I've ever spent.) This engine has certainly earned the nickname my husband gave it... "the oil derrick."
  • dana24dana24 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Plymouth Breeze. It was the first car I ever bought on my own. The steering column has been replaced 3 times, the clock spring has been replaced two times, The head gasket has been replaced along with the cam seal. I have had numerous problems with my car and yes I have the warranty but it still cost me 50.00 everytime I go to the shop. The mechanics are great. Its pretty bad when they know your voice when you call. I do love my car though. It has lots of room, comfortable, and I like the look. But I am tired of going to the shop. I would like to trade it in for something else before my warranty is up and more things break down. I only have about 40,000 miles on it.
  • dshermanjrdshermanjr Member Posts: 1
    Had the Oil Leek problem too. Bought the car Used with 13,000 miles on it. Made sure oil was changed every 3000 miles. car runs great. Check fluids once a week (all because I have heard about the gasket problem) Found out it has been leaking oil. Looked at the Top of the engine Engine is clean. If the head gasket was leaking it would be oily along the sides of the engine and at the top. Took it to a local garage. Found out it's the oil sending unit. (the sensor for the oil light on the dash). other then that the car runs great, spacious, fun to drive. needs a little pep. Just make sure your fluids are changed every 3000 and you should be fine..
  • mschoep1mschoep1 Member Posts: 4
    I hear of a number of problems with the 2.0 liter engine: oil leaks, gaskets, etc.

Is there any feedback on the 2.4 liter? I have a 1999 Breeze and would like to know if these same problems have surfaced.

Thanks.
  • dclark36dclark36 Member Posts: 2
    I have to add this comment concerning my 1999 Breeze. I am having problems with my brakes at 26,XXX miles. I'm constantly hearing squilling and my pedal seems to go to the floor! My front brakes changed and rotors resurfaced; rear brakes adjusted and cleaned. However, I was told that the rear brakes drums have gone bad, however, the dealear ship will not own up to the bad drums! Are bad drums common when brakes are going bad! That's what I was told (Laughing). Also, the 1999
    breeze rear brakes (Left) have a recall number on them for a bad tubing or something like that = all you need is the last three digits (843). Are any more related problems with brakes of the 1999 breeze. PS: I have 3 friends that have the exact same car 1998 and 1998 and they are having the same problem brakes.....
  • dclark36dclark36 Member Posts: 2
    I have to add this comment concerning my 1999 Breeze. I am having problems with my brakes at 26,XXX miles. I'm constantly hearing squilling and my pedal seems to go to the floor! My front brakes changed and rotors resurfaced; rear brakes adjusted and cleaned. However, I was told that the rear brakes drums have gone bad, however, the dealear ship will not own up to the bad drums! Are bad drums common when brakes are going bad! That's what I was told (Laughing). Also, the 1999
    breeze rear brakes (Left) have a recall number on them for a bad tubing or something like that = all you need is the last three digits (843). Are any more related problems with brakes of the 1999 breeze. PS: I have 3 friends that have the exact same car 1998 and 1999 and they are having the same problem brakes.....
  • runnerjrrunnerjr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Breeze which had its headgasket go at around 50,000 miles. I am currently trying to get Chrysler to pay for some of the repairs that were done at an independent shop. In addition to this problem, I had the air conditioner go bad at 40,000 miles. The combined total of these expenses was over $2000. Chrysler claims that they do not pay for repairs done by independent garages. If you have a Breeze from this year (and some other model years I believe). Make sure to call Chrysler prior to doing any repair. Please note that I had the SAME headgasket problem with my 1995 Plymouth Neon which has the same history of gasket failures.
  • thomasb1thomasb1 Member Posts: 1
    Similar problem going on now. I replaced my valve cover gasket, plug seals, thermostat, alternator, serpentine belt and pulley. The oil leak is under the car, not on top of the engine or on the sides. It appears to be an oil pan leak but haven't gone that far with it yet. I have about 65,000 miles on it. Loud rattle/wobble type noise coming from AC/Compressor pulley. That will cost $330 just for parts. Love the car, not the maintenance.
  • getridofitgetridofit Member Posts: 1
    We have a 99 Breeze and at 18,000 miles the transmission went out. Now at 33,000 miles the
    engine started leaking oil at the head gasket.
    The power back windows won't go down anymore,
    this was the first and the last Chrysler product
    I will ever buy. Granted the styling of the car
    is something both my wife and I like, I think
    that parting with the car will be the best thing.
  • ugadancngnancyugadancngnancy Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 1996 Plymouth Breeze for my first car. I've been forewarned about the leak, and had the car thoroughly checked by a mechanic before purchase and, thankfully, there is no sign of a leak yet ... but I know one will crop up eventually. I keep hearing everyone talk about some way that Chrysler will replace the head gasket for $100. Does anyone know how I would go about obtaining this?
  • cats8cats8 Member Posts: 22
    the bees is not a good car it has pualplems whif it but is the moder good
  • ripper926ripper926 Member Posts: 2
    I HAD MY SHARE OF MOPAR PRODUCTS. HAD MY SHARE OF OIL LEAKS,HEAD GASKETS, ETC. WE OWNED AN OLDER LEBARON. BOUGHT IT WHEN IT WAS JUST A YEAR OLD. HAD IT FOR SIX YEARS AND PUT ABOUT 50,000 MILES ON IT. AFTER ALL KINDS OF SENSORS,HEAD GASKETS (4)AND ALL THE OIL LEAKS. THE PISTON GOT A HOLE IN IT. WE BOUGHT A 98' BREEZE. STILL THE SAME THINGS SENSORS, THEN THE HEAD GASKET WENT WITH 30,000 MILES ON IT. WE GOT RID OF IT AFTER THE DEALER TOLD US THAT THEY GO OUT ALL THE TIME ON THE 2.0's HE SAID THEY DO 3-4 A WEEK AND IT IS A KIND OF SMALL DEALER. BOUGHT A 97'BLAZER AND WE LOVE IT.
  • jbotlandjbotland Member Posts: 3
    I've had three recalls since I bought the 2.0 L Breeze in '98. Now my headgasket blew at 26K miles causing oil leaks and the engine to overheat. Fortunately it was covered under the warranty. I was told to expect the headgasket to blow again in two years. The vent outlets rattle like crazy, I have to turn the stereo up to ignore the noise.
    I had to replace all brakelight bulbs at 20K miles when they burned out.
    There's a foul smell (like urine) coming from the vent outlets when you turn the AC on.
    My front brakepads needed replacement at 24K miles.
    The front seatbelts are just a pain. Most people have a hard time trying to buckle up in the front passenger seat.
    On cold days steering is noisy and hard.
    It's a nice looking car with a great sound system but the overall quality sucks.
    I pledge to buy another Chrysler car if they let Daimler design their engines and interior.
    If not...this has been my first and last Chrysler ever.
    My '91 Jetta was more fun to drive. I've owned it for 3 years. The car has been through a lot of abuse. It was stolen and driven into a creek and it still performed well after that event. The only maintenance it needed in those three years were new tires and brakes. It felt solid and ran like a real sports car.
    I'm buying a Passat next time.
  • cats8cats8 Member Posts: 22
    is the 2.4 engine good. and do the Plymouth Breeze ride good. and do you like the bake seet the seet gose done so you can put a big stuffe in it. email me at mkitty@inreach.com
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    Please see my reply to your similar question in our Kia Sephia topic - you can click on that highlighted link to go directly there.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • tgratzertgratzer Member Posts: 1
    YEP I CAN RELATE TO THE OIL LEAK AROUND THE GASKET. I TOOK THE CAR BACK ABOUT 4 TIMES AND THEY STILL COULDN'T FIND THE LEAK! GOOD THING IT WAS STILL UNDER WARRANTY. IT IS A 96 AND I BOUGHT IT IN 97 WITH 28K NOW IT HAS 104K. BACK AND FORTH TO KS AND NC A LOT. I HAVE HAD THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COME ON 3 TIMES AND ALL WERE REPAIRED WITH A NEW SENSOR OF SOME SORT. SO GET READY TO SPEND SOME MONEY ON CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY EXPERIENCED THEM...O YEAH AND I WENT AHEAD AND HAD ALL 4 OF MY STRUTS REPLACED, 200 DOLLARS FOR THE STRUTS AND AN HOURS LABOR ON EACH STRUT. TIMING BELT WAS 1 AND A HALF HOURS LABOR AND $40 FOR THE BELT. MY MECHANIC WAS $50 AN HOUR AND THAT IS REAL GOOD CONSIDERING THE DEAL IS ABOUT $95 AND HOUR. I AM GOING TO KEEP THIS UNTIL IT DIES. IT IS ALWAYS (FOR THE MOST PART) CHEAPER TO REPAIR A CAR THAN IT IS TO PELACE WITH A NEW ONE....THIS IS NOT COUNTING A TOTAL OR ENGINE REPLACEMENT OF COURSE
    TAKE CARE EVERYONE!!!!
  • donaldtdonaldt Member Posts: 1
    My new 96 Breeze started leaking oil. I took it in 11 times. First they replaced the heads and gaskets, then the entire engine - not once, but THREE times before 36,000 miles. They never could stop the leaking, and quit trying after the warranty ran out. Then my head gasket blew, and the engine overheated. I spent $400 fixing it, and within 6 months, the head gasket failed again. After reading about the dozens of people with blown head gaskets, I got rid of this POS car. Before this car, I had a Plymouth Arrow whose transmission failed 5 times before I got rid of it.
    When I traded the Breeze in on a Saturn, the dealer said every Breeze they have bought had blown head gaskets.
    So my new rule is: my family will never again own any Chrysler product.
  • wolf42788wolf42788 Member Posts: 2
    I had the head gasket go around 66000 miles. My 1997 breeze has been realitivly trouble free, other than the recalls. I purchased mine in September of 1999. Concerning the brakes. For some reason, Chrysler put really soft pads on their cars. I replaced mine with Premium Raybestos pads. What a difference, they no longer fade, and after 4000 miles the rotors have not warped yet. Plus there cheaper than the OEM parts. 4 pads and 2 new rotors cost me $75. As for the head gasket failures, I was told by the dealer that (when standing in front of the car) the back right head bolt works its was loose, not much but enough for the head gasket to rub and wear causing the oil leak. The dealer told me that by putting loctite on the threads, the problem almost never reoccurs. Keep in mind that when you have a cast iron block and an aluminum head, they expand and contract at different rates, making the head gaskets job tough, and the lose bolt just makes it wear out that much faster. Although it has yet to happen, keep an eye out for coolant getting in you oil and vice versa. Look for a mayonase like substance on the filler cap when the engine is cold. And look for oil floating in the coolant. Any way good luck.
  • holly43holly43 Member Posts: 3
    We own a 1996 Plymouth Breeze & just returned from the Plymouth dealership with a $1357 repair bill.

We contacted the Plymouth regional representative earlier today when we learned $730 of our repair was for a head gasket. Of course the claim has been denied.

He stated that 2.0 liter engines are not being covered by Chrysler, only the 2.4 liter engines.

We are amazed looking at the prior Neon & Breeze stories discussed in the chat rooms. Our Neon had it's head gasket replaced a few months ago at 28,ooo miles. Our Breeze started leaking at 43,000 miles. Will we have an on-going battle with Chrysler & where do we start the battle?

Help!!!
  • dcsupporter1dcsupporter1 Member Posts: 25
    I own a 1999 Plymouth Breeze! I bought it 8 months ago, and I have been very happy with it! It has a 2.4L 150hp engine in it and it runs great! My friend has a Breeze with a 2.0L engine and he has had no problems with oil leaks, or even the head gasket!
  • mclayton1mclayton1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Plymouth Breeze that was purchased in 1997 with only 13,000 miles, now it has only 65,000 miles. The head gasket has been replaced 3 times. Now one of the door sensors makes the door ajar light come on. The dealership unhooked the sensor in October and the part is still on backorder. I am planning to purchase a new vehicle this summer but I will not purchase a Ply mouth.
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    Well, actually - unless you find a Prowler or buy used, you cannot purchase a Plymouth - DaimlerChrysler has dropped the marque except for that one model.
    It seems to me a lot of you have had bad luck with the 2.0L engine head gasket. I was lucky! I got he 2.4L engine, but like I said I have friends who own Plymouth Breeze and eons with the 2.0L engine and none of them have had problems with the head gasket or oil leaks for that matter!

The Plymouth Breeze with the 2.4L engine is a great car. It has a lot of pep, it handles great, and I have had NO problems with my car! The only time my car has gone back to the dealership, is for routine oil changes and preventative maintenance.

On that note, it make me wonder just how many of you maintain your car on a regular basis.

I know I may sound skeptical, but I think that some (NOT all)of you don't maintain your car as well as you should, and then when it breaks down you use poor quality, and head gaskets as your use to cover up for your lack of maintenance (it is called maintenance for a reason). That is ridiculous. I agree that a Head gasket should not go after 14,000 miles, but lets face it, the head gasket does not last forever. It will go at some point.

I'm not saying that all of you don't maintain your cars, but I am saying that sometimes people use poor quality as their excuse to hide their negligence.
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    Properly designed, a head gasket will last the life of the engine - just like a transmission should make it well past 100,000 miles with minimal maintenance.

DaimlerChrysler gaskets in Neons, Cloud Cars, 4-cylinder minivans, etc. seem to run about 30-40,000 miles - and the 4-speed transmissions commonly fail before 50-60,000 miles, maintenance or not. We do maintain our cars - and yet had gasket, transmission and other problems with both Chrysler products - problems that trace back to faulty engineering and/or quality control, not lack of maintenance.

Fortunately, other automakers seem to do a better job.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    G.M. and Ford have had some head gasket failures, too. The problem stems from the cast iron engine block and the aluminum cylinder head having different expansion/contraction rates when heated/cooled. Puts a lot of shear load on the head gasket in all bi-metal engines. Chrysler has redesigned the head gasket in an attempt to correct the leakage problem. The new design can be identified by small rivets through the gasket in the areas where it protrudes past the head/block joint. I've always used Fel-Pro aftermarket head gaskets, and have had ZERO repeat failures.
  • billk123billk123 Member Posts: 4
    The Daimler Chrysler Corporation has lost another customer. I owned a 1996 Plymouth Breeze that developed an oil leak from the head gasket in the 2.4 liter engine at 50,100 miles. I took it a Chrysler dealer who charged me to tell me what I already knew. I inquired about their well known secret "goodwill" warranty and was offered a 10% reduction on the $1000 repair bill. When I expressed concern that I was not being treated as most others have been, namely coverage of at least 50% of the cost, I was told that the goodwill warranty was applied on a case by case basis, and since I had a transmission leak and a broken rack and pinion fixed under warranty, and because I changed the oil and performed all servicing myself, they had no more goodwill to offer. Even when I told them this was my third Chrysler product and that their unwillingness to stand behind a well-known defect would affect future purchase decisions, they bid me a hasty farewell. True to the promise that I made to them to warn others, please be advised to seriously consider purchasing vehicles from other manufacturers who stand behind their products. I did, and 24 hours after they no longer considered me to be a valued customer I traded in my Breeze and I now own a 2000 Chevrolet Venture van.
    You Breeze was a 1996 model and it had the 2.4L engine?

That's weird cause the 2.4L engine was not available until the 1997/1998 models. Are you sure that your Breeze was 96?

Also, I own a Breeze with a 2.4L engine and have had no problems with the the head gasket. However, this could be because my car only has about 27,125 miles on it, or it could just be good luck. I heard that the 2.4L engines are fine and have given no problems whatsoever.

If possible, could you please give me more information regarding the problems with your Breeze?

My email address is: pinto_keith@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Keith
  • billk123billk123 Member Posts: 4
    In Canada the 2.4 litre engine was commonly used in the 1996 Breeze. Supposedly a re-design of the head gasket in 1998 helped to reduce the number of failures but did not totally eliminate them. Good luck, and make sure you have an extended warranty with no fine print.
    Hi billk,

Oh, I didn't know that the 1996 Breeze in Canada had the 2.4L engine option available. I thought that the 2.4L engine was not available until 1997/98 for all Breezes, Canada & USA.

I too live in Canada, but I was unaware of the options available on the 1996 Breeze in Canada.

Thanks, and Good Luck to you too!

My Breeze is 2 years old (1999 model) and I just noticed that some of the paint is peeling off of the car. I bought this car used in May of last year, and I don't think the previous owner had put paint sealant on the car. Now I have to go to the dealership and see if I can get the paint on that portion of the car redone. Does anyone know how much that will cost me?

Thanks,

Keith
  • marylynn2marylynn2 Member Posts: 1
    After researching the net we were so greatful to find this message board. We have always had Chrysler Products...97 Breeze, our 93 Sundance...we bought these new... We also had an Omni....Every one of these 2.0 e.g. have had a head gasket problems. You would have thought we learned our lesson. I do love my Breeze but now the head gasket is leaking at 44,000 miles. Thanks to this post... we were repaired when we took it to the Cry. garage today. They are fixing it even though the warranty is up -50.00 deductible. We are going to have them replace the timing belt just because it is all apart and they can go at any time with no warning so...Thanks....for the information... We bought our first Honda Accord and there is a big difference in performance and price comparing the Breeze. So...again...time will tell on that car.
    From now on we will always buy and extended warranty because we keep our cars about 5 or 6 years and time is a big factor... Mary Lynn
    The head gasket is leaking at 44000 miles?

Hopefully after you get your head gasket fixed you will not have any more problems with it. I have had no problems with my Breeze, except that the paint on the front of my car is peeling off exposing rusty metal which does not look too attractive. Luckily for me it is under the front bumper so it is not too noticeable. So now I have to get that part of the car re painted and have paint sealant put on the car to prevent this form happening again. Other than that, I too love my Breeze.
  • daespringdaespring Member Posts: 1
    I've owned a Plymouth Breeze since the fall of 1997, I purchased it new, with the help of some family, and rolled it off the lot with 23 miles on it... Now it has close to 75,000... i've put a good deal of miles on it within the past several years, and i've had to deal with my share of problems, and although i've tried my earnest to maintain my car and stay ahead of the persistent problems that seemed to present themselves, i'm ready for a change...
    Don't get me wrong, i love my car. I rely on it to get me wherever i need to go and it gets me there with a good feeling, that its mine, but having to deal with the constant worry of my engine blowing up because of the oil leaks, or brakes going out, or rotor warping, slight electrical malfunctionings with the gauges...it's a little overbearing.
    I've been to the dealer, i've gone by places like Super-lube, Midas and Quik-stop, and i've utilized the knowledge of family and friends in the automotive repair field (just to get a well rounded feedback of my concerns) and I am not surprised that, though i may not be completely able, it may be past time to look into another vehicle....
    My hope in posting this is to convey a lil bit of what i've had to deal with and to ask that if anyone knows of a means to advertise a genuinely good and cared for car for sale, while giving it justice, please let me know at daespring@aol.com
    Thank you
    Daespring
  • chrydodjeep1chrydodjeep1 Member Posts: 13
    Yeah ! Congratulations Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth
    You did it, U Won ! Worldwide consumers have paid there hard earned money and you provided worldwide consumers with the worst Engineered vehicles on Earth...

Got to hand it to Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth you have Won beaten all your consumers.

Wise old saying you can't read a book by its cover :O)
    Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth great looking vehicle unfortunately for the unsuspecting consumer even to date Transmission failure, head gasket failure , too many more serious problems Etc...
    Just read this Newsgroup 2% Satisfied , 98% Unsatisfied . Surf the internet U will find 100s of thousands of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle owners that are Big Losers. Telling there Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle Horror stories.

Now that Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth consumers have read the book by owning one of the worst Engineered vehicles on Earth. Consumers worldwide learned a costly but valuable lesson.

Now we have come to realize. Yes Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth they are the Winners.

Yep we the "Consumers of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicles are the BIG LOSERS" !

Were losing vehicle trade in, Value its Awful.
    Quality Automobile Dealers don't want your Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle offering 50% of Galves Trade in if in Mint Condition.
    Even Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth Dealers are offering 50% of Galves. Now we are driving around in a nearly worthless Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle and paying for Major repairs :O(
    Its not going to get any better cause Smart Consumers are not Buying a New or even thinking of buying a used Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle.

We sure learned a Valuable Lesson > Never again buy Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicles. For those few Die Hards remember( Only a Fool Loses Twice )

Rejoice fellow Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth vehicle consumers now it is our turn to Win.

Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth your profits are gone, Stocks are dropping to an all time low Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth is just hanging on by a thread bankruptcy is near Hooray - Yeah !
    Now how does it feel to be a LOSER ! Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth :O)

Worldwide automotive consumers buy smart be a Winner don't become a Loser like the rest of us who owned or still own the worst engineered vehicles on Earth.
    Let Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth become the final Loser.
    I resent you calling Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, and Jeep owners "Losers".

"Only a Fool Loses Twice"
    Have you ever thought that people who continue to buy Chrysler products have had good ownership experiences with their previous Chrysler products?

I am not saying that Chrysler vehicles don't have their share of problems, and yes I have read of people's bad experiences with Chrysler vehicles. I have had good experiences with my Chrysler vehicles.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Don't encourage the moron. He's put the same post in at least 7 topic areas here. If we ignore his mindless, infantile rantings he might go away.
    I'm sorry if my comments came across as encouraging him. I didn't mean for my comments to do that. I was simply trying to defend Chrysler. Obviously I did a poor job of it.
  • biglebowskibiglebowski Member Posts: 3
    I know this is a stratus post, but since the breeze is esentially the same thing I thought I'd post it here. I have a 1998 Breeze w/ approx. 53,000 miles on it. It is the 2.4 liter engine and recently I've noticed an oil leak. I've taken it to a mechanic and it wasn't discenable to him what the cause was (I'm assuming the head gasket) There is no coolant in the oil and the leak has coveread a large portion of the underside of the car in oil. The leak is about a quart per 1.5 weeks. It is not the drain plug, oil sensor, or anyhting else immediately visible. Has anyone had an oil leak on a 2.4 that wasn't the head gasket? Also, if it is indeed the head gasket, will Chrysler pony up the $600 or so to have it replaced? Should I just contact them directly by phone? I like the car, no problems ever until this, and I'm glad i caught it in time as my oil was way low when I noticed it. One more thing, does the tie rod problem affect the 98's as well? I'd like to know so i can keep an eye on it. Thanks

Haha, "Don't encourage the moron"! Yeah, I noticed his incoherent babblings on several posts as well.
    I agree, that chrydodjeep1 is a moron. The more I read his post, the more I wonder what he was on when he wrote it. He kept rambling on about winners and losers. The reason why I responded to his post, was because he called Chrysler buyers losers and fools.

alcan: You are right, we shouldn't encourage the moron, hahahahahahaha, even though that was not my intent when I responded to his post.

biglebowski: You are right about the Breeze and Stratus being essentially the same. In terms of your problem, if it is the head gasket, good luck in getting DC to pay for it.

Regards,

Keith
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There is a tool available, a "blue light", that reads a dye that is put in the motor oil, and can often detect the source of the leak. You wouldn't want to "guess" about the head gasket and find out you replaced the wrong thing.

Mr. Shiftright
    Host

Good Point!
  • tason67tason67 Member Posts: 36
    If you look through the Stratus reliability post and the Chrysler 2.4l posts you will see a list of my problems with my 96 Stratus, with the 2.4, which was purchased new. I had the head gasket changed at 28,000, 48,000 and now 55,000 miles; Chrysler has paid for all three. If your gasket hasn't failed you may be lucky or maybe your number hasn't come up. To suggest that the extremely high number of blown head gaskets is due to consumer neglect is ridicolous (excuse my spelling, please). If the problem is the different expansion rate between aluminum head and iron blocks, the engineers should have corrected it a long time ago. I am an employee and am through with Chrysler products. Not all are bad, but your chances of getting a problem car are much higher at Chrysler than Toyota or Honda.
    Well I never meant to say that a failed head gasket is due to consumer neglect. I'm sure for the most part, Breeze/Stratus owners take very good care of their vehicles. I meant that some people do NOT take take care of their cars and as a result have problems. I am NOT saying that this is why the head gaskets are failing, because as you said, making a claim like that would be ridiculous. I am NOT saying anyone in this message board has neglected their car. I am sure all of you took very good care of your vehicles. As far as I know, the head gasket can not fail because of neglect, such as lack of maintainence. Yes, I agree that Chrysler has made some lemons, but I will continue to buy from Chrysler, as my family and I have always had good ownership experiences with out vehicles.

I too have heard stories about the 2.4L engine in the 1996 Stratus/Breeze models.

I did hear that the expansion rates are a huge factor in the failure of the head gasket. I also heard that there was a fix for it in late 1998. My Breeze is a 1999 model. I am at 28,000 miles right now, and so far so good. You could be right about not having enough miles on my car, but as far as I know, the problem was fixed before my car and engine were built. I'll keep all of you posted though on any problems that I do have with my car.

Regards,
    Keith
    Sorry..................I meant good ownership with our vehicles
  • tason67tason67 Member Posts: 36
    DCsupporter1, I think your ownership experiences have been good because I seem to buy all the DCX lemons :) I got my car back today, with a new head, valves, gasket and cam seals.With me at least, so far DCX has paid for all three head gasket jobs. I have my fingers crossed that this will be the last one. A coworker has a 98 Breeze with 30,000 miles and also reports no problems, so hopefully the gaskets are better now. Good luck!
    lol....I am sorry to hear that you are getting DCX's lemons. I am happy that they paid for your head gasket repairs. I hope you do not need any more repairs.

Thanks and Good Luck to you too! I hope you do not need any more head gasket repairs, and I hope your Stratus gives you good service.

Regards,
    Keith
This discussion has been closed.