Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Maxima 5-speed Problems

Comments

• Options
    pat_93se_00sepat_93se_00se Member Posts: 16
    I just wanted to throw my hat into the ring to say that I am experiencing these problems too.

What I notice is that my 2000SE (5sp) is jerkier than I like in first gear, and I can't hold a particular speed. I've been driving sticks forever, and I miss the amount of control I once had in 1st. I drive an hour each way to/from work in stop'n go traffic, so I have to clutch a lot more than before or upshift when I don't want to.

I hope you guys are able to get Nissan to do something about it.. I am refraining from bringing my car in to have it looked at because my experience has been that the wrong thing will get 'fixed'.

Good Luck
    Pat

electriccafe at yahoo com
  • Options
    bigk200bigk200 Member Posts: 170
    Send an email to the MotorTrend address that I provided a couple of days ago.
  • Options
    y2ksey2kse Member Posts: 104
    I received the following communication from my Zone Rep today:

"Sorry for the delay. I would like to schedule your vehicle at your convenience at a local LA dealership. I am free to schedule you any day after 11/29/00. I believe the closest dealership for you would be Performance Nissan in Duarte. Let me know what day would be good for you.

I have talked to engineering, and to date, there is nothing new to do other than to confirm proper TPS adjustment."

This was my reply:

"Right now I'm available on either 11/30 or 12/1. The best thing for me would be to meet you at Performance Nissan first thing in the morning. Their Service Department opens at 7:00 am and I could meet you there at that time. If that's too early, perhaps 8:00 am would be better. I'd prefer not to run it any later than that. Performance Nissan's Service Department is also open on Saturday if that would work better for you.

Thanks for checking with engineering. As I explained, adjusting the TPS on other 2000 Maxima 5-speeds has had absolutely no effect on the condition I have described to you except to make it worse. Furthermore, Nissan has steadfastly refused to look at evidence provided by independent mechanical and automotive engineers as to the true cause of the condition. Under the circumstances, I'd be satisfied with a written report from you evidencing the condition as I have described it along with a statement outlining Nissan's suggested remedy.

My goal when we get together is to run three simple tests:

1) Is the engine unloaded capable of maintaining rpm below approximately 2800 rpm without dropping to idle?

2) Is it possible to maintain a constant speed in 1st gear in a range of approximately 1500 to 2500 rpm?

3) Does engine rpm increase between shifts when accelerating aggressively to approximately 2500 rpm and then shifting normally?

Let me know when you're available."
  • Options
    Regarding item #1 in your list above, I recommend that you use 2000 rpm rather than 2800 rpm.

Also, I recommend that you take a copy of post #2 with describes the problem at length.
  • Options
    nm
  • Options
    Having a little trouble posting messages here. Every time I try, I get an error. But the messages seem to post anyway.
  • Options
    Just my comments, for what they're worth...

I have owned three Nissans (87Pulsar, 93MaxSE, 00MaxSE) and went through the lemon law process back in 1987. I lost, but not because there wasn't a problem, it was more due to the way the problem was handled.

I would suggest focusing on your issue #2, especially if the Nissan rep tries to dismiss some of your claims. In my opinion, #2 represents a significant driveability issue which they cannot ignore. Personally, it is the item that bothers me the most.

I can see them saying that the other items are meaningless. (I'm not trying to knock your observations, but I think you should pursue the strongest point you have, IMHO)

I'm glad you are handling the situation as you are, and I really hope things progress in the right direction. You are representing us all in a way.

I'm still a little disgusted about the way my lemon law case was handled. It took me months, and in the end, I lost MERELY because each time I took the car in for service, the rep wrote it up as 'this or that', even though it was the same symptom every time. The lemon law required me to have 4 service write ups describing the SAME problem, which I didn't have. (no thanks to the reps that wrote me up differently each time I came in.) I guess the fact of having my new car in the shop for 44 days in the first 6 months didn't mean much. BTW, it was the 87 Pulsar.

I'm too tired to challenge Nissan at this point, and hope that you are successful. But I expect it will be a long road and will require even more of your time and patience. Perhaps you will get a bunch of us together to sign a petition or something if one voice isn't enough... good luck!

Pat

P.S. I will get around to emailing the Motor Trend guy as bigk200 suggested.
  • Options
    I know your feeling. I'm pretty worn down by Nissan's indifference.
  • Options
    When I meet with my Zone Rep, I'll emphasize the driveability issue as you suggest.
  • Options
    sunbird3200sunbird3200 Member Posts: 12
    My friend bought a 91 Maxima SE with 101k miles on it a month ago for 4300. The car was a salvage and had heavy engine problems. He has already replaced the tires with all seasons and had to replace the water pump. The mechanic also told him that his back axle is cracked and will go in a year. How much should that cost and is the car even worth the trouble?
  • Options
    You're in the wrong forum. This forum concentrates on issues affecting 2K and 2K+1 5-speed Maximas. You'd be better off posting your question on the General Maxima Forum at:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=Sedans&t=4146
  • Options
    expat0007expat0007 Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a 2001 GXE 5 speed four days ago and have the following to offer: I knew something was funny with this car with respect to driving in lower gears at a fixed speed. Now that I have reviewed this entire message board, my beliefs have been confirmed.

Even with this problem, I really like the car and think it is a steal at the price (I got the car cheap because I bought a "stripped" GXE, with "floormats" as the only option).

I hope that Nissan decides to correct this "driveability" problem, because they have a good product that is competitively priced; if they could improve the driveability in lower gears they would have an outstanding product.

With the ease and global reach offered by internet discussion such as this, Nissan would be wise to examine this problem and develop a correction. It really isn't that difficult to detect and will likely be noticed by the majority of 5 speed buyers either during a careful drive test, or four days after purchasing the car...

Mat
  • Options
    Be sure to send an email to the MotorTrend address that I posted a couple of days ago.
  • Options
    expat0007expat0007 Member Posts: 9
    ...and I didn't even repost twice this time.
  • Options
    This was taken from the Maxima.org forum. Anyone care to comment?

"The problem is more with the three mode throttle position switch. It has isle, run and wide open throttle detents. This is the norm on the Bosch pattern airflow sensing systems for some time. What causes the problem is that under very light loads the idle switch is engaged, the ecu says "idle too high" and cuts the fuel. This was apparent in my '80 Fiat, '86 and '94 Mazdas and now my 2000 Maxima. It is worse in the Maxima for two reasons - 1. MUCH more power and 2. slightly more aggressive tuning for smog. You might be able to improve the situation some by adjusting the switch so it only goes to idle with the pedal not touched at all - but you must also ensure that the linkage makes it to the wide open throttle position. The other thing that works is to ensure there's enough load on the engine to keep away from the idle position - such as using one gear higher for creeping. I will agree though, that it makes it much harder to demonstrate the sonorous nature of your expensive aftermarket exhaust."
  • Options
    His description/explanation is not clearly presented.

I see a few things that match my analysis, but some other things just don't make sense without futher explanation.
  • Options
    just to let him know of another unhappy 5-speed owner!

To all of you who disregard this problem as nonsense... you must all live along highways or never see any traffic, or something. I do a good bit of driving in 1st and second gear where I need to control or maintain my speed (neighborhood streets full of kids, stop and go traffic, etc.), and I can't.

Having dealt with Nissan in a lemon-law issue years ago, I believe that they will just blow off the individual as long as they can, so I -also- encourage you to write to Matt Stone at Motor Trend. ( StoneM@emapUSA.com )

The bigger the voice, the more likely it is that they might actually listen.

Pat
  • Options
    kostyakostya Member Posts: 23
    Hello,

I had finally replaced the GIF animation with Java applet. This reduced the cartoon to about 1/20th of its original size—it is now small enough to fit on the front page. I had also included most of the Bigk200’s post #2. Kevin, let me know if I missed something.

Some time ago quite a few people wanted to support the web cite. Guys, where are you now? It stinks to design and support the web cite alone. I would really appreciate some help. If you have some suggestions/want to share the cost write me a message.

Kostya.

http://www.nissanmaximaproblems.com/
    MH3023@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Your web site looks great. My only suggestion would be to eliminate item #4 (hard downshifts) from the list in the "Bug Description" page. I do not have enough informtaion to support that claim.

Thanks, Kevin
  • Options
    bob374bob374 Member Posts: 6
    I believe there is another manifestation of the ECU/ICV "Fuel-cut" that can be noticed at higher speeds and with either a 5-speed or automatic transmission. My 2k Max is an automatic.
    When going down a long downgrade with cruise control engaged, I can notice the engine holding the car back to the cruise setting while gradually reducing the throttle position. At some point, the engine suddenly closes the throttle (Fuel-cut), and you can feel the car slowing rather abruptly, as if you had tapped the brakes. The car will then slow below the set cruise speed, and the cruise control opens the throttle again, "releasing" the car to start accelerating. The process then repeats, giving you the feeling that the brakes are being lightly applied about every 5-15 seconds.
    I've noticed this a lot on interstate highway downgrades in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, New York, and anywhere where you're going through the mountains.
    While I don't consider this a significant "problem", I'd like to know if others have noticed this and if you agree that it is another instance of the same fuel-cut phenomena.
    Regards.
    Bob374
  • Options
    I believe there is another manifestation of the ECU/ICV "fuel-cut" that can be noticed at higher speeds and with either a 5-speed or automatic transmission. My 2k Max is an automatic.
    When going down a long downgrade with cruise control engaged, you can notice the engine holding the car back to the cruise setting while gradually reducing the throttle position. At some point, the engine suddenly closes the throttle (fuel-cut), and you can feel the car slowing rather abruptly, as if you had tapped the brakes. The car will then slow below the set cruise speed, and the cruise control opens the throttle again, "releasing" the car to start accelerating. The process then repeats, giving you the feeling that the brakes are being lightly applied about every 5-15 seconds.
    I've noticed this a lot on interstate highway downgrades in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, New York, and anywhere where you're going through the mountains.
    While I don't consider this a significant "problem", I'd like to know if others have noticed this and if you agree that it is another instance of the same fuel-cut phenomena.
    Regards,
    Bob374
  • Options
    I got error msgs when I tried to post my "Observing . ." . Didn't think either was posted and so posted again on Maxima Sedans conference. Sorry
  • Options
    davedznydavedzny Member Posts: 41
    I sent a lengthy email to Motor Trend as well. Glad to see a bunch of people did this also. Took my car into the dealer last week and had the tech who I am friendly with work on it. So far, he seems to have eliminated my A Pillar rattle by stuffing it with more foam and silicone I believe. I have to double check the work order. I gave him a copy of Kevin's #2 post as well.

My Driver's seat was quiet that day, so he could do nothing for it. The TSB for my trunk scratches was noted; I was the first to complain about it at that dealership. I found out that the TSB was issued in July. It gets me mad that a TSB comes out for something so insignificant such as the trunk scratch that 99.9% of the people would never notice, but we are still suffering with our problems. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I make progress in my "second round" fighting Nissan.

Dave Z
  • Options
    You are correct about your observation ragarding the engine cutting in and out with cruise control on.

I referred to this exact problem as item #2 in an itemized list in post #2 of this thread.
  • Options
    unicomp2unicomp2 Member Posts: 3
    I got my SE in early July. I really like the responsiveness. And am pretty much used to the ECU behavior in 1st and 2nd. But this weekend I was driving back into town after a 3 hr. trip and something was bad wrong when I got off the interstate. I slowed down into 2nd and started lurching heavily, to the point of feeling a bit out of control. Finally got up into 3rd with minimal throttle and I'm still lurching! I've never had this problem in 3rd. After around 5-10 min. it went away. I'm still fairly happy with my car. But had I known the ECU performed so poorly on the manual I problably wouldn't have gotten the car. I've heard that the manual and the automatic both use the same programming for the ECU, this make no sense to me whatsoever. A feedback loop tuned for an automatic is not going to work well for a manual.
  • Options
    Send an email to Matt Stone with MotorTrend:

stonem@emapUSA.com

He has more pull with Nissan than we do.
  • Options
    I FINALLY have an appointment to meet with my Zone Rep to test drive my Maxima. Unless something unforeseen happens, we'll be meeting on Friday morning, December 1st. I'm not looking for a fix, particularly with Nissan continuing to insist that that a TPS adjustment is the only available remedy. I'd settle for a written report that supports our findings.

I'll keep you posted
  • Options
    george2kmaxgeorge2kmax Member Posts: 94
    Bruce,

I think that it will be very unlikely that Nissan will give you something in writing admitting that their is a problem. They may say something to you off the record, but putting it in writing is asking a lot. That would certainly open the doors for lemon law cases if they put something in writing.

I can't say how Nissan Zone Managers are but I can tell you after meeting one of Chrysler's Zone Managers when I owned a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I sent a certified letter to Chrysler Corporation telling them they should send that Zone Manager back to "Monkey Training School", I think you get my point. I'm not kidding about the letter, this manager was so incompetent I thought that a good trained monkey could do a better customer service job then he could.

Anyway good luck I hope it works out in your favor.

George
  • Options
    The way I look at it, if I get something in writing, that's great. If not, I'll at least have given it my best shot.
  • Options
    There is no way they will get anything from them in writing.

Just a verbal comittment to review the materials (my post?) that you plan to give them would be a victory.

You can bet that they will admit NOTHING.
  • Options
    Here's the e-mail I just sent to my Zone Rep in anticipation of our meeting on Friday morning:

"I believe it's important before we get together that you understand what I expect and what I do not expect from the test drive.

I expect that you will run three tests:

1) Determine if it's possible to maintain a constant speed in 1st gear at 1800 rpm.
    2) Determine if it's possible to maintain rpm in neutral at 2500 rpm.
    3) Determine if rpms increase between shifts after accelerating aggressively to 2500 rpm and then shifting normally.

I expect that you will document these tests along with your conclusions and recommendations and that you will provide me with a copy of the document at the conclusion of the tests.

I do not expect that we'll arrive at a solution. I simply want documentation for my records that the symptoms I have described to you do, in fact, exist."

We'll see how far I get.

Bruce...
  • Options
    davedznydavedzny Member Posts: 41
    Let me know if you are actually able to get anything from the rep in writing in regards to the tests as I could use the information in my current "dealings" with Nissan. TIA.

Also, you can ask the rep to hook up the Consultant and tell him to capture readings from the IAC, TPS, RPM and closed throttle switch. You can show him how high the IAC counts jump the second the car is bumped off idle thus proving Kev's findings. Ty to get a copy of that too, as the Consultant can print readings. Good luck!

Dave Z
  • Options
    Thanks.

Bruce...
  • Options
    I just sent the following e-mail to Christian Wardlaw at Edmunds.com with a copy to Brent Romans:

"Chris --

I met with my Zone Rep, Mr. Steve Thomas, this morning. Steve confirmed my findings in writing, to wit:

1. My engine will not maintain 2500 rpm in neutral.

2. My vehicle will not maintain a constant speed in 1st gear at 1800 rpm.

3. My engine increases rpms between shifts after accelerating aggressively to 2500 rpm and then shifting normally.

In all fairness, I should point out that Steve discovered an anomaly in the functioning of the Throttle Position Sensor. However, he doubted that correcting the anomaly would alleviate all of the problems. He felt that an ECM re-programming would be required to accomplish that.

Steve still has my vehicle and will run tests on it throughout the day. I'll let you know if anything else transpires as a result of his continuing investigations.

I've included a copy of Steve's findings for your reference."

Stay tuned.

Bruce...

PS: If anyone wants a copy of these findings, send me an e-mail at bld522@pacbell.net.
  • Options
    I just received the following response from Chris Wardlaw:

"Unfortunately, our 2001 loaner got pulled at the last minute, as it suffered some damage during the Motor Press Guild track day last week. We've rescheduled, and it will be coming in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the information."

This was my response:

"Thanks for the heads up, Chris.

I just got off the phone with my Zone Rep, Steve Thomas. He informed me that my TPS was out of adjustment. He readjusted it to factory specs and said he was able to ease some of the problems I was experiencing. But the symptoms still remain.

Steve acknowledged that the symptoms are related to a logic issue that will require re-programming the ECM to correct. He said he would issue an appeal to Nissan Japan on my behalf. He also said that Nissan North America is aware of Edmunds interest in this matter and he indicated his willingness to discuss his findings with you or or a member of your staff."
  • Options
    Good Job Bruce...
    I'm so glad to hear of your progress with the Nissan zone rep, as I'm sure we all are. Let's hope he follows through.

Pat
  • Options
    maybe Motor Press will blame their little 'accident' on an unusual loss of throttle control in low gear! :) Too bad Edmunds has to wait even longer to get their hands on a maxima.
  • Options
    george2kmaxgeorge2kmax Member Posts: 94
    Bruce,

You said that Nissan North American was aware of Edmunds interest in the Maxima problems. That may be a problem if they are aware of Edmund's interest because they might hand pick a Maxima to deliver to Edmunds with out the problems!!!!

Just a thought, I wonder if that could be the reason that Edmunds did not get the Maxima that suffered some damage??? Maybe they wanted to make sure they gave Edmunds the right Maxima!!

George
  • Options
    I'll be you are right!
  • Options
    but it would mean that Nissan USA had re-programmed one single ECM in a manner totally unfamiliar to any of its techs. If Nissan could actually do that, why not just publish the results and be done with it?

For what it's worth, Steve Thomas just received a substantial promotion at Nissan. He will oversee all domestic engineering efforts affecting Nissan and Infiniti vehicles imported from Japan. My impression is that if it were possible to re-program an ECM to overcome the fuel-cut condition, Steve would have known about it.
  • Options
    I just sent the following e-mail to Steve Thomas regarding my impression of his TPS adjustment:

"I drove my car for awhile this afternoon. I didn't notice any specific improvements with respect to the conditions I initially brought to your attention. But there was one other issue I did not mention when we got together . . . a tendency for the engine to hiccup under half throttle immediately following a normal shift at around 2500 to 2800 rpm. Up to now I thought the condition resulted from driver error. But the hiccup has practically disappeared following the TPS adjustment. My vehicle accelerates much more smoothly now. As far as I'm concerned, correcting that condition alone was worth the price of admission."
  • Options
    adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    Why no one has tryed contacting Jet Chip and asking them about their ECU upgrade for the Maxima. They design chips for all Nissan's, and I'm sure they be able to help you all with reprograming the ICD (or whatever the hell it's called, I don't want to read post #2!) the air intake valve thingy, so that it stays closed when it's supposed to. I would definately give them a call, and maybe Stillen or Jim Wolf Tech. And possibly the best thing is that you'll get better throttle response, precise timing curves, and +15-20 HP and torque.

- Anthony

www.jetchip.com
    www.stillen.com
    www.jimwolftechnology.com
  • Options
    but no-one makes an ECU upgrade for 2000 Nissan Maxima yet besides The PROgram Piggyback ECU, and I doubt installing The PROgram would have any effect on the fuel-cut condition.
  • Options
    why should I have to pay to get something fixed if my vehicle is under warranty?
  • Options
    I have talked to them in the past. Y2kse is right in that they do not have an upgrade chip for the 2000 Maxima. If they did, it is doubtful that it would address the problem we are dealing with because they only mess with the ignition timing map.
  • Options
    I sent the following e-mail to Steve Thomas today:

"I've now had time to conduct two of the three tests following your TPS adjustment. The vehicle will still not hold rpms in neutral under 2500 rpm. In addition, the rpm increase between shifts seems to have worstened slightly. Rpms now increase roughly 100 rpm more and hang up a little bit longer than they did before before the adjustment.

I haven't yet had a chance to attempt the 1st gear test to determine if I can maintain a constant speed at 1800 rpm, but I should be able to run that test in the next day or two. I'll get back to you with the results."
  • Options
    I sent the following e-mail to Steve Thomas today:

"I drove in rush hour traffic today. My vehicle will still not maintain a constant speed in 1st gear at 1800 rpm. I wish I had better news for you.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if Nissan Japan will respond to the appeal you sent to them on my behalf."
  • Options
    blindersblinders Member Posts: 5
    I haven't been on this forum since May... I had my TPS replaced and after several adjustments back in June I've been satisfied with the performance. My driving includes lots of rush hour stop'n'go. Let me know if you want to talk to the mechanic who did the work.
  • Options
    opimaxopimax Member Posts: 73
    What state are you in? or more specifically what state is the mechanic in? I asked my dealer about the tps adjustment long ago and they stated all ok or normal. Big k has driven my car and thought it best I get mine readjusted at least but no luck, my svc writer say the internet is just a bunch of false info and whiners and won't even listen to any information.

Mark
This discussion has been closed.