Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercury Cougar

Comments

• Options
    fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    an automatic tranny is available for the V6 not the I4
  • Options
    lisab3lisab3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have been admiring the new Cougar for the last month or so. No wonder I like it so much. I didn't realize that it was meant to replace the Ford Probe. I have a red, '89 GT Probe that I have adored. Alas, I need a new car now. What can I expect to pay on a trade for the Probe on a 1999? Are the 1999 Cougars going to be on sale right before the millenium? When should I buy? I have never bought a car before and would appreciate ya'll helping out a greenhorn. Thank you. Lisa
  • Options
    coughlin1coughlin1 Member Posts: 4
    Why would you buy a 99 when the 2000 should be out within a couple of months which I`ve ordered . Everything is about the same as the 99 , including the price within $200. Does anyone know when the 2000 should hit the showrooms more precisely.?
  • Options
    this is my 2nd response on the cougar -the 1st said you can order a 2000 now so forget the 99. Also suggest you go tolibray or magazine rack and pick up Consumers Digest titles 1999 new car & truck buyers guide. Read how to buy a car and then check out the invoice price of the cougar vs the retail price you see on the new car window. Add about 500 to the invoice and that should be close to what you have to pay fully loaded if you shop around including on the internet. YOU MAY get more on your probe from dealor to the next but then you will pay more for th cougar. The cougar is a great buy and 60% of it`s buyers are women.
  • Options
    jagg2jagg2 Member Posts: 1
    well, my v6 made it to its first oil change. no problems thank god. my auto trunk opener doesn't unleash the hatch completely . i have to use the keyless entry and pull up the hatch at the right time. the dealer should fix this ,no? mine is black and looks awesome but it's a [non-permissible content removed] to keep clean. i'm afraid i washit too much but the dealer has a free car wash. iknow, don't use them. enjoy your cougars jagg2
  • Options
    bamapepebamapepe Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I went to test drive a cat yesterday, & I noticed a used 99 with 11,000 miles. ATX V6 on the lot. Anybody have a clue what I could get this for?
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the the 2000 cougar will hit the showrooms?
  • Options
    malibumalibu Member Posts: 155
    I just spoke with our dealer here on the Central Coast (Airport Auto Center) and he tells me the 2000 should be available in about 4-6 weeks. He can order a 2000 right now and you can have it in about 4-6 weeks. The special edition has to be ordered or he can dealer trade in about 6-8 weeks though. Hope this helps.
    Malibu.
  • Options
    malibu thanks. My dealor just told me that the merk Marquis arrived yesderday and the cougars hopefully will not be too far behind. I`ve ordered mine already== A V6 fully loaded .
  • Options
    just some picts of my kitty in the rain! finally rain. the rest of the story is over in CSG.

http://pictures.dermato.com.br/engine2.jpg

http://pictures.dermato.com.br/front2.jpg

F-
  • Options
    gadigadi Member Posts: 1
    I am very close to buying a a '99 Cougar (I figure i can get a better deal on it than a 2000) but I don't like the available sunroof. I prefer a windowed moonroof that actually opens all the way. Does anyone have the proprietary moonroof that Mercury offers to get installed and how is it?

Also, if there are any Canadians that can tell me what they payed for a V6 Cougar fully loaded with leather and all packages?

Thanks.
  • Options
    puttytatputtytat Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I am new to this conference, but I wanted to let everyone know that I have had my Cat for almost a year now. She hasn't let me down yet. The only dealer work done on her was a defective rim and the normal maintenance. I do advise that you use Mobil 1 synthetic in the engine. I bring a six pack with me every time. The reason I say this is that I also own an '88 Cougar. She has 210,000 miles on her and is still running without any knocking or pinging.

When anyone asks me how I like my car I tell them I don't just like it I love it. I commute 60 miles one way to work everyday. My kitty definitely makes the drive fun. She now has 28,000 plus miles on her, and knock on wood, not a hairball from her. She still looks and purrs just like the first day I brought her home.

So if anyone has any doubts, let me put those doubts behind you. The Cougar is definitely worth it.

P.S. I have the V6 with the Sport Group. The only options I didn't get were the side-impact bags and leather interior.
  • Options
    brigitbrigit Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm still looking for at the '99 cougar for a good deal. I admit I've only been to 2 dealers so far so I need to look more...but both dealers said that a V6 5 speed would be impossible to find now! One dealer had about 20 Automatics on his lot. Why would anyone want a sports car in automatic. Can anyone tell me if they've had the same experience in their search??? I just couldn't settle for automatic and I really did want the V6. Thanks
  • Options
    gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    The projected product mix by Mercury turned out to be all wrong. They were still thinking typical Merc/Linc customers. ie:Automatic transmissions and all the luxury items that they could add on.

Then we came along and saw a very desireable sport coupe at the right price and ran them out of stock on stick shift packages.

One of the reasons that some of us early orderers had to wait months to get our cats, no engine/trans packages. Plenty of ATX, but no MTX were available.

The 99 leftovers are very likely to be ATX.

Only two things to do:
    1. Have the dealer check around the area to see if what you want may be available on someone's lot.
    2. Order a Y2K just the way you want it and prepare to wait. Hopefully not too long.

Good luck!!!

Skip G.
  • Options
    The reason the one dealer probably said you can't find a MTX v6 is because he has 20 ATX, I am sure he wants to get rid of them, tell him find one in his computer, its actually real easy for them to find cars.
    I got a good deal on my cat, invoice minus 400 for recent college graduate. v6 mtx/sport/conve/spoiler delete.
  • Options
    runtieruntie Member Posts: 5
    lisab3:

I highly recommend this book to any women who've never bought a car, it definitely helped me out a lot.

Everything Women Always Wanted to Know About Cars*
    *But Didn't Know Who to Ask
    by: Lesley Hazleton

It's divided into three main sections, all of which are very well written and informational.
    1. General what women want in a car
    2. The Buying Process
    3. How a car works (engine etc.)

The book is available through Amazon (and other places, too!)

Let me know how things go,
    Jen
  • Options
    runtieruntie Member Posts: 5
    I sit in over two hours of traffic each day.
    That's why I want to drive an ATX cat.
    To each his/her own.
  • Options
    rhythmsrhythms Member Posts: 2
    I was in your exact position...I started to buy a 99 cougar in early July and realized that trying to find a 99 mtx v6 fully loaded in the color I wanted(silver) was never going to happen. What area of the country are you in? I'm in WI and of the 5 dealers I talked to, they couldn't find anything in WI, MI, IA, IL, IN, or MN. Therefore, I have gone to ordering a 2000. But, I get exactly what I want, and still at invoice + 100. Also, it will be in by the end of Sept.(so I'm told) so the wait is hard but not like those who ordered this time last year...
    just a suggestion, good luck
  • Options
    I ordered mine on July 8, 1999, and took delivery on Dec. 7, 1999.

Exactly 5 mo. and a lot of communication with L/M headquarters. Sorta like an elephant's pregnancy ;)

From everything I've been reading, the delivery times are now pretty normal (~6wk).

Good luck.

Skip G.
  • Options
    swigswig Member Posts: 1
    I have the V-6 with the Sports Group, took delivery in early June. Great car, only problem has been with the CD player. Some CDs work with no problem, others show error message and will not play. Dealer has ordered replacement. Any body else had similar problem?
  • Options
    twalunastwalunas Member Posts: 3
    When I went shopping for my Cougar I checked out a couple of Chicago dealerships, none of which had any fully loaded MTX on their lots. When I asked the salesman at one of the dealerships why that was, I was told that it was unusual for people to want MTX on a fully loaded car. I ended up ordering mine from a different dealer (I actually modified an order that they had already placed, they couldn't find any comparable vehicles to dealer trade for) and just took delivery of my cat last weekend. I think if you want an MTX and you want a lot of goodies, it might be better to go via the ordering route. Then you know that you are getting exactly the car that you want to have.
  • Options
    mlgwmlgw Member Posts: 2
    i'm in the market for a 99 in autumn orange (i'll settle for spruce). will i get a deal because the 2000s are coming in soon and they want to get rid of that crappy color or will i pay through the nose because no one can find that one elusive leftover with all the bells and whistles? what should i offer over invoice on a 99 at this point? should i bother with the aftermarket moonroof and factory bike rack or get 'em myself?
    p.s. i brought my couch home in my saab 900s, too!
  • Options
    Phew, Autumn Orange, is going to be a tough find, they stopped producing that color about half way into the 99 product line. I know my dealership had one when I got mine but it was ATX, and no good options. If you do find one, I don't think you'll pay through the nose. It all depends in how much interest you "seem" to have in a that color.
  • Options
    todd_windtodd_wind Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a Cougar for my wife. It will be our first new car purcahse. She is intrigued by the body style. From your comments it seemd to be a good buy. My question is..... Will we get a better deal buying a "99" at end ofyear, or should we go for the Y2K model?
  • Options
    Since the changes in the y2k cat are minimal, you can go either way. You should get a good deal on a 99, but you may not get all the options you want, you'll have to settle for what the dealers have.
  • Options
    The pricing on that color could go either way, depending on the market. When I was talking to my salesman one evening, he told me that they had sold all their Autumn Orange Cougars at MSRP because that color was so kind of eccentric and people really liked it. Good luck finding the car you want.
  • Options
    mlgwmlgw Member Posts: 2
    re: autumn orange
    found it!!
  • Options
    Congrats on finding your Autumn Orange Cat :)
    enjoy it.
  • Options
    Glad to hear that you found the car you wanted! I saw a couple around Chicago. I think it's a neat color. Have fun with your car!
  • Options
    daspafdaspaf Member Posts: 5
    I just ordered a loaded 2000 V6 (invoice + $250 CDN) and was wondering if anyone knew what the differences were between the '99 and '00. I haven't even seen a 2000 brochure yet. Has anyone seen one on the lots yet?
  • Options
    roy17roy17 Member Posts: 2
    Hey all you cat owners. You have a newby joining you. I got my 99 Cougar last Friday and as of today (Tuesday) I have close to 700 miles on it. What a pleasurable driving experience. I'm in love. I've never seen the Orange you folks are talking about. The most unusual color I ran up on while shopping was Melina Blue (kind of purple). Very pretty but I think it would wear on you after a while. Meanwhile, my Spruce Green with tan leather seats grows on me daily. Thanks to all who have posted here. You helped me make up my mind before I even went to a car lot. It's very nice to go to a post site and not have it be a war zone. I would write more but the cat wants to go for a ride! Roy
  • Options
    roy17roy17 Member Posts: 2
    I had no trouble finding manual trans on every lot I went to. Color and options were not an important topic with me, though. I ended up getting just the car and color I wanted but luck had as much to do with it as selections available. The dealerships here (Birmingham) all had around 6 ot 7 cars and pretty equally divided between mtx and atx. Most were pretty loaded. I didn't get side air bags and abs. I don't know what else they can put on one, though. Roy
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new baby. Hard to get out of it once you're behind the wheel, isn't it.

Check the tire pressure as the factory tends to ship 'em too hard. Set for 34-36 psi, and the ride and handling both improve.

Drop over to the busiest conference on Edmunds, the C.S.G. (Cougar support group) in the sports car area. The group was so named when a bunch of us were waiting extreme lengths of time for deliveries last year.

Also, look up NECO (New Edge Cougar Owners) at newcougar.org and regester yourself. Lots of good information and a link to another very busy chat line. Local groups have been sponsoring gatherings at different venues such as road racing or drag strips for some performance fun and good fellowship. I missed the first Chicago gathering, but will make the next one for sure.

Good luck:

Skip G.
  • Options
    bkarlsonbkarlson Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about buying a 1999 Cougar.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    I have Only Good thoughts. Except, now that means another Cougar on the road, to make mine less unique.
  • Options
    My local dealer called me yesterday and he has 2 special editions in. Both green. I'm going to check them out over the weekend. Does anyone have a special edition, or has anyone seen one? I've seen one before and fell in love. I just hope they don't get to popular, I too want mine unique.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Here are my stats for my lease:

1999 Cougar, v6, ATX, Conv group, minus spoiler, premium cassette.

List price: $18,900.
    My price: 17,300.

Total price that lease was based on: $19,500.
    This included about $1,000 down, which included $400 graduate discount(my wife is getting masters).

My lease payment is $300 plus Tax($15), 48 month, 12,000 miles per year.

I had slight negative equity in my old car....

Hope this helps!!
  • Options
    scasey1scasey1 Member Posts: 1
    I too am unhappy with the manufacturer's available sunroof (it must be opened to let any light in). I am considering having a moonroof with a sunshade installed after-market, but I'm concerned about the quality of anything not factory-installed.
    Has anyone had any difficulty with this?
    Thanks
  • Options
    badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    The Cougar Support Group (CSG) is looking for new members to add to their existing group. The CSG has been in existence since May of 1998 and consists of a great many people from all over the US and Canada. The original propose of the CSG was to allow Cougar owners to network with each other in order to keep on top of the latest Cougar news, and to shoot the breeze about their Cats. Although that is still our main propose we are currently expanding our horizons. I am currently working with the staff at Edmunds.com on several projects that look very promising for our little sub-community. We are in the final stages of designing a professional logo that will be printed on decals, and possibly on to metal stick on emblems. These decals/emblems will be available to members in the very near future. The latest edition to our group has been the implementation of an e-mail mailing list. This mailer contains the latest updates about our group, and any Cougar news that rolls our way. We are also discussing the possibility of a convention sometime next spring. As I said we are working with Edmunds on the development of this group, we are hoping our community will grow with their support and endorsement. If you are interested, you are welcome to visit our forum in the coupes and convertibles conference. We are topic #627 “Cougar Support Group (CSG) part 4”. If you would like to be added to the mailing list, please send me an e-mail containing your name, e-mail address, and Edmunds Town Hall Login name.

Robert J.
    AKA “Badulah”
    Long Time CSG Member
    E-Mail: Badulah@worldnet.att.net
  • Options
    tiffany7tiffany7 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I test drove a V6 ATX Cougar yesterday. I was concerned about the mileage/price. It had 12,000 miles and we were able to get them to $15,500. Is this a good price? No leather seats. Please let me know. Thanks
  • Options
    sheartonshearton Member Posts: 1
    Looks like Edmunds only has 1999 prices for the Cougar, where can I find the 2000 invoice prices ?
    thanks
  • Options
    I would go back to the Edmunds price area and see what the original sticker and invoice prices were when the car was new with the options that it has.

12K isn't really a lot of mileage for only a year, but it really depends on wether the prior owner did the proper maintenance on it.

It would still be under warranty for 2yr/24k so if you did happen to have a problem, it's fixed for free.

Good luck!!!

Skip G.
  • Options
    wiser1wiser1 Member Posts: 1
    Help me find an exhaust for my 99 cougar 16-valve
    e-mail me with any ideas please!!
  • Options
    gdtfhgdtfh Member Posts: 1
    Well looks aren't everything. Sure the new Cougar looks great both in and out, but if you are going to purchase one then please save yourself some heartache and do not buy an automatic!! I test drove one last week, and for a V-6 it had about as much pick-up as my pet turtle.
  • Options
    mykidsmommykidsmom Member Posts: 1
    Hi I've been looking to buy a 1999 Cougar for my son and I'm just curious as to what price I should start the dealing at. There's a silver automatic cougar on the lot with the convenience and sport packages with leather. It doesn't have the sunroof but it does have the power seat. The sticker price is around 21,000, I forget the exact price right now. The salesman said that he could take 1600 - 1800 off sticker price which probably means he can take off more. I hope to buy soon so please respond as to what price I should start the negotiations . Thank you.
  • Options
    rtsongrtsong Member Posts: 1
    $21000 minus $1600 is going to be giving a lot to the dealer when a 1999 should be approaching the dealer invoice price (even though the Cougar doesn't have a rebate going, I believe). That may $21,000 sounds even higher than the 1999 original MSRP price even (the V6 is only $16700+$815 for the automatic). I'd suggest following Edmund's rules of negotiating, getting the real dealer invoice price, and insisting on less than 4% above that (less than 4% because the 2000s are in stock). If they don't give it to you, they think they can give you a worse deal because you're a woman--go somewhere else, you can probably get a 2000 at 4% over invoice. I'm sure our son could do without the full leather apolstery anyway...
  • Options
    I was at a dealership this weekend, they had a 2000 v6, white with sport pkg, convenience pkg, 5 speed manual trans. cloth seats for 18,500. That was msrp, so I think you could haggle a bit. I wouldn't pay more than that. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Mykidsmom, you should be able to get one at invoice
    go in with all the info, and say:
    "Look I've been offered 1% over invoice from
    (make up a online broker like intellichoice or Autobytel) I really would like to do business locally what can you do for me?"

BTW I paid 400 under invoice on my 99 mtx/sprt/conv/TC/abs/sideair.
  • Options
    tduettduet Member Posts: 1
    I am very close to buying a Cougar. Yesterday,
    I test drove a 1999, white I4, standard transmission coupe/hatchback with convenience group and spoiler. The dealer came down to 16,300, which seems to be about $100 over their invoice.

Whaddaya think?
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    tduet:

Price seems reasonable, assuming that there are no other options on that particular vehicle. Just make sure that you have done your homework on a line by line cost basis at:

http://www.edmunds.com/newcars/1999/mercury/cougar/4cylindercoupe.html

Also make sure to visit our very active:

Cougar Support Group (CSG) Part 4 (Topic #627)in this Townhall's Conference for Coupes, Convertibles and Sports Cars.
This discussion has been closed.