Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW New Beetle (Pricing & Information)

Comments

• Options
    pinheadpinhead Member Posts: 33
    I live in Northern New Jersey ( 25 mins. from NYC) Both of the dealers that I went to were asking MSRP and no premiums for color.

The 1.8 T will be available in both GLS and GLX the difference in cost between the trim levels can be quite a bit. I ordered a NB 1.8T last June needless to say when I placed my order there was no choice between GLS or GLX. Let's be honest here it will be whatever VW chooses to make. The fly in the ointment for the GLX will be the sunroof. As of early Oct they still weren't producing any NBs with sunroofs. But hey, the 1.8T doesn't go into production until Jan. so who knows?! I guess I'll find out when I get mine. But I honestly don't think that I will see mine until next summer even though I am #6 on the list at a very high volume dealer(better allocation).

Lots of NBs in this area. I will usually see 3or 4 a day. Seen the 99s on the road already too.

As posted earlier, that really was a great write up by Consumer Reports.They gave it an overall rating of VG boardering on E. This rating beat "all the other small two-door cars we've tested.."
  • Options
    mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    Many thanks to all of you for bringing so much interesting information and new perspectives! That's what makes the Town Hall great!!

carlady/host
  • Options
    Only 1,500 1.8Ts?? NOT TRUE. This was just a rumour. VW of America spokesperson Tony Fouladpour said on Oct. 28 that the car would not be produced in such a low limited quantity and that the production run would be much higher. End of rumour.
  • Options
    FEHarperFEHarper Member Posts: 70
    As I am #8 on the list here for a New Beetle GLX, I am thrilled to hear the news. Pinhead, you must survey the same web sites that I do. It's a shame that there is so little info on these popular VW models. VW's web site contains little info and one must rely on hearsay.
  • Options
    FEH, what part of the country do you live in? What color did you request? (VOA told me that they won't be making cars to order.) I requested silver and that is why I don't expect to get mine until the middle of the production. Popular color choice!

One technical difference between the current NB and the 1.8T powered NB will be TRACTION CONTROL.

If you read the specs on the VOA site carefully you will find most of the details that describe the differences between the GL GLS and the GLX. But FEH you are absolutely right, there is nothing on the site that will draw your attention to the 1.8T like the way VW does with the GTI.

FEH, have you checked out the Beetle Buzz site? Great info and pictures!!
  • Options
    Pinhead,
    I live in Charleston, SC. Went by the dealer here today and the regional rep was in the back. The latest news - they will receive the first GLX's in February. My dealer will receive 3 per month and by April or May, I will have mine. As per your post, will have to take what they have or your in for a long wait - at least here. Drove a 98 today - what a wonderful driving experience. Beetle Buzz is my favorite web site and the most informative.
  • Options
    bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    I saw the unthinkable last night... A NB that had been involved in a fender bender. It was at night on a bridge, the NB rear-ended someone. Strange looking site, the "Bug eyes" were dangling from the front, all akimbo and pointed up.

All I could think of was, "Poor Herbie". I had that picture book when I was a kid...

Bruce.
  • Options
    sniff, sniff.... :-(((

carlady/host
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    A poster in the VW Passat forum is very well connected, he had a 1-on-1 talk with a national VW rep, seems VW is really in no hurry to produce the 1.8T NB when they are selling every Standard Bug as fast as they can make them. I don't recall who, but a few earlier posters comented that they had already ordered their 1.8T's, I am afraid you might be in for a long wait.

New cars are my hobby, I monitor MANY MANY forums on edmunds, I think I have heard it all. I always cringe when someone posts that they have been put on the list for the latest, unreleased auto. I am at a loss as to how anyone can be so excited to be put on a "list" for a car that they have never driven, and, sometimes, isn't even in production yet. Specifically, in the HONDA SSM roadster forum, a poster bragged how he was on the list for one of these fabulous new roadsters that won't even be coming to North America for at least 6 months. I can't help but think that if I walked into any dealership and asked to be put on the waiting list for the latest hot new show car, that he would be happy to write my name on a piece of paper, even if he new I might never see it. Is this jsut something for bragging rights? I don't get it.

Sorry for the rant, but I think that it is important to remember that a dealer's "waiting list" for a car that isn't even in production yet is nothing to get too excited about, in the best case scenario, you will be waiting for 6-12 months for your new car, the worst case scenario is that you have been duped.

Carefull out there! VW is having tremendous problems meeting demand on the fabulous new Passat and the excellent New Beetle, so they are retooling a different factory to DOUBLE production of both these cars in the near future. Perhaps then, dealers will stop gouging buyers for these great new Volkswagon Automobiles.
  • Options
    Sporin,

If you walked up to a crowded deli counter would you take a number?

There is also more to it than just writing your name on a piece of paper. Somehow I remember leaving a deposit( refundable ) and leaving with a "Retail Order". By doing so when the NB that I requested comes in I will have the opportunity to either buy it or not. If I don't buy it then the dealer calls the next person on the list. The key is that if you are not on the list you proberly won't get the call. I went through the same thing this past spring. I was on the list for both the M-B ML320 and the Lexus RX300. Drove them both then said No to M-B and Yes to Lexus. And yes, I am very happy with it. Getting on the list for a NB doesn't have me "bragging" rather it has me excited. Excited that one day MY number will be the next one to be called...

" silver NB to go please, pickle on the side."
  • Options
    Pinhead. . .
    Excellent comments, if you have a deposit down and a Retail Order then you have are obviously a smart consumer, congratulations on the future delivery of your 1.8T NB.
    In your case, obviously, I overstated my case, however, I stand by my comments as they relate to different consumers, different dealers, and different vehicle.

I hope you enjoy your new car (when it arrives). It should be a real pocket rocket and collect plenty of smiles.
  • Options
    SpedmanSpedman Member Posts: 15
    Hate to be the first to jump ship, but I just traded in my New Beetle after 7 months and 17,000 miles. the Beetle's a beautiful car, and handled well, but I felt cramped and got tired of all the gear shifting. It was also a pain to fold down the rear seat every time I had more than 2 bags of groceries, because the trunk was so small. Unlike other cars with fold down rear seats, you have to pull out and fold up the rear seat cushion before you even get to folding down the rear seat back to open up the hatchback cargo area.
    I drive an hour each way to work, and the car just got to be a pain. As I said, it's beautiful. I got one of the first ones in late March, and I enjoyed the stares and comments. I teach school, and all of a sudden I became 'the teacher with the bug'. But I really had to ask myself, as the car approached 20,000 miles and became increasingly unsaleable, do I want to drive this car for the next 4-5 years. The answer, unfortunately, was 'no'. I traded it in for what had been my second choice back in March, a Chevy Malibu LS.
    For those interested in numbers, I paid $16,500(straight sticker price), which included the sport package including cruise control, fog lights, and electric everything, for my Beetle at the end of March of this year. I received $15,500 on a trade-in. For those thinking I could have gotten more(I live in southern Maryland), I had put 2 ads in the Washington Post in the last few months(one set the price at $17,500 when the car had 7,000 miles on it and the other set the price at $16,500 or best offer when the car had 14,000 miles on it). I got no response from either ad. I then visited Carmax in Laurel, Maryland and they offered me $15,000 for it. A Chevy dealer in Upper Marlboro offered me $16,100, but tried to sell me an overpriced leftover 98 Malibu with almost no options on it. The last dealer offered me $15,500, and included a really attractive price on a loaded top of the line Malibu LS. That's the deal I took.
    For those looking to buy a Beetle, if I was looking, I'd check the want ads for a used one with low miles. You might very well be able to pick one up for less than you think.
    Bottom line, all indicators are the New Beetles are excellent cars. But, as with the Miatas when they first came out, I think a lot of people jumped the gun when they first came out, not realizing what they were getting into. As a result, I really feel there are probably some hidden bargains out there if you look.
  • Options
    SpedmanSpedman Member Posts: 15
    Just to clarify, I got $15,500 on the tradein on my BEETLE, not the car I had before the Beetle.
  • Options
    laturjlaturj Member Posts: 45
    we think our nb is great and have taken it dallas (from austin) and a couple other "trips" over 60 miles. However, besides having a really nice CD player, the beetle does not compare to our other VW (passat) when it comes to having to drive distances. The nb does rock in town, through our curvey roads (austin seems to have very few roads that are straight for very long) and really is fun to drive. However, as a primary car or car that will be driven long distances it may get a bit cramped, etc. We found that to be true but would not trade the beetle for anything we know of as a second car. Consumer reports in november seems to agree as they rated the NB first in small coupes.
  • Options
    pam2pam2 Member Posts: 185
    Am I starting to see a trend here? Hmmm... Is the honeymoon over?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Turn off the lights, the party is over...?
  • Options
    ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    Hmmm, *one* Beetle owner sells his because it was a smaller car than he really needed and he got tired of having a manual. And when he did sell it with 17000 miles on the clock, he got only 94% of what he paid for it (If it had been a Civic he would have gotten at least 120%, right?).

Yeah, sounds like the party's over.
  • Options
    The beginning of the end...?
  • Options
    As a longtime Honda owner, I am a little put off by the mostly negative comments by "isellhondas" and "pam2". I have owned a few different Hondas, NONE were perfect.

You 2 are making all HONDA owners seem like arrogent, elitist snobs. Please stop, it is unbecoming.
  • Options
    Pam2, the whizzing noise you heard was the sarcasm from my last post passing about 5,000 feet over your head.

I saw something interesting about the upcoming Turbo Beetle on one of the VW enthusiast sites - the story is only the North American market will be getting them.

Apparently, Beetles get a little "loose" if you get them much past 130mph or so. While you're in no danger of exceeding that with the stock 150 HP turbo motor, VW is well aware that 200 HP is just a $200 chip away, 240 HP is about $1600 worth of chip and turbo upgrades, and 300 HP is attainable, if you're willing to throw over 3 grand at your motor.

With that kind of power, you'd be looking at some serious speed. Here in the States, that's not seen as a problem, 'cause there's no place (even Montana) where you could legally explore the velocity envelope. In Europe, on the other hand, you have access to Germany's Autobahn, and I guess VW would regard Beetles getting airborne at 150 as a public relations problem - even if it isn't their fault.

Rumor is the European market high output motor will be the normally aspirated 2.3 liter VR5 (yes, a v5), also rated at 150, but with much less potential for insane power levels.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Geez,

Can't you folks tell when someone is kidding?

Talk about being defensive....
  • Options
    bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    ajvdh,

Thanks for the informative post. BTW, the insect variety of Beetle does fly, no?? [%^)

Re. the first paragraph, please remember, we're here to talk about the cars, not the people who own them, or those who choose not to and then ceaselessly denigrate them {%^(

Bruce.

PS, does anybody know if VW will put the 1.8T in the Golf and Jeta/Bora here in the US. AS much as I like the VR6 motor, it is a little heavier and detracts a little from the handling.
  • Options
    Isellhondas, given your history here, no.

Unfortunately, the last I heard, the Turbo will not be available in the A4 Golf or Jetta here in the States. Bummer. Europeans can get it though. The Euro's also have the choice of the V5, which I don't think we'll see either.
  • Options
    You folks should just get over yourselves and quit telling me and Isellhondas what not to say here! Not everyone is a raving fan of the New Beetle. What's the big deal?
  • Options
    laturjlaturj Member Posts: 45
    we think our new beetle is great will likely always be on a honeymoon. not all cars do all things that is why we have classes large, compact, etc; one does not say the honeymoon is over when someone realizes they can't pull a fifth wheel with a civic, right?? You buy a car (or not) for what they can do, what features they have, what size they are, how many people stare at you on the street (oops, how did that get in there) how often you are at a stoplight and the same make, model, and color pulls up next to you -- lots of different reasons. Is there any car that does everything, the beetle, is great in its class (see consumer reports, etc.)

It seems that beyond this the only thing i can figure out when someone says the party is over, etc., is that there was a party going on. YES there was a party and it was damn fun talking to two to three strangers a day about your car. NOW, however, as the party fades we rely on the car for its merit,which has tested and been rated as best in its class. Soooo there you have it, i'm cryin' me a river cause the party is over and i am stuck with a kick a** car ;-)
  • Options
    prebmwprebmw Member Posts: 23
    I very much agree with the statement made by the party IS over. When you purchase a car, your lifestyle has to be taken into consideration. I traded in a '96 Chrysler Minivan for a '98 Beetle. My family had owned five other minivans, but our lifestyle changed and a minivan was no longer needed. As a car fanatic, I researched everything I could. Besides falling in love with the looks of the NB, I found that by reading many, many car magazines and any other material I could find,the NB had great reviews. After hitting the streets and driving different cars that were competition for the NB, including Honda Civic EX and Saturn SL2, I bought the NB. It is a decision that I am thrilled with. The latest review by Consumer Report reinforced the idea that I made the correct decision! After buying many new cars (much to my wife's dismay), this is the first car that I have still love after I have owned it awhile. I still get a trill every time that I get in it! I know that sounds stupid, but it is true. To those of you knocking the NB, I'm sorry it dosen't meet your needs. I also own a '98 Camry and an '88 Saab 9000 Turbo. My wife, teenage son and I fight over who gets the NB. The added attention that the NB gets is an added bonus (I live in a medium sized midwestern city where NB's are still scarce). Sorry for the rambling, just the opinion of a car nut that loves his NB!
  • Options
    Not being a "raving fan of the New Beetle" and just attending a forum to rag on a car are two very different things. I asked you to "can it" because I am a long-time honda owner. Your remarks (in general) have been so predudiced that it is no wonder people joke about you being on the payroll at honda (obviously sarcasm). I don't own a NB, but my little sister wants to get one, I am following this forum so I can get some real feedback from owners, good and bad. This will allow me to help my sister make an informed decision and get the best deal. If you look at every individual problem that occurs with the NB (or ANY car you don't own) and your only response is a "MY HONDA NEVER DOES THAT", then you are hardly adding to the conversation. It is not only impolite, but infantile to make such remarks. Are you trying to make people feel bad because there vehicle hasn't performed to thier expectations or has developed minor problems? How would it make you feel if someone did this to you? Do you really think that if someone is unhappy with thier NB they are going to trade it in for a car that YOU recommend? After you have been so impolite, rude and snobbish? I doubt it. There is enough buyers remorse to go around without you adding insult to injury.

My 96 Civic was delivered to me with a blown fuse and a non functioning a/c, the passenger's side seat track was loose at 10k miles, the rear seat fabric is so cheap that it is already fraying at 18k miles. Would I buy another one. . .? Hell YES. ANY CAR, especially in it's first year is going to have a few piddling little problems. NO MANUFACTURER is immune to this, not even Lexus and Mercedes, and especially not HONDA.

If you wish to start a new forum in the NEWS & VIEWS section called "Why my Honda is better then your Bug" then do so, that would be an appropriate place for your comments. When you have CONSTRUCTIVE critisism on the NB, post it here, we would love to read it, but there is nothing worse then seeing 10 new messages listed and 8 of then are you and isellhondas making wisecracks.

BTW, the folks who have traded in thier NB's after only a short time, are getting back 98% of thier investment. You certainly cannot do that wiht a Honda of ANY kind, I should know, I have looked into it extensively.

thats my rant, I promise not to say another word on the subject.
  • Options
    govugovu Member Posts: 62
    I drove a TDI Jetta a while back and found that there was much more power there than I had anticipated. How does the TDI Beetle perform (I've heard it's the same engine)? Do any of you TDI owners ever feel like it's lacking something?

Also, does anyone have any experience with a TDI in cold weather? Is that a concern?

I'm 99% sold right now, and my number comes up in February. Make mine silver, please.
  • Options
    Yes, winter weather... Brrrr! Any NB owners in Montana or similar climate who have already had a preview of winter?

carlady/host
  • Options
    Like I said before, you and the others need to just get over yourselves. I've explained my thoughts and opinions time and time again here and I'm tired of doing it. Why don't you go back to my early posts and find out what I mean.

Isellhondas and I aren't here that much anymore. Not many of the posts are from us, really. I check in from time to time to see what's going on with this unusual car. This is an information forum - like you said - a good place to get first hand feedback from people who actually own the NB. And so what if I make a smart remark? It's just my personality. I couldn't care less if anyone would buy a car based on my opinion. In fact, they shouldn't. It's only MY opinion and experience. Someone else's is different.

So why don't you back off, OK? If you don't like what I have to say, then don't read it.
  • Options
    Lemme get this straight. You post snide little content free messages here, and get logorrheicly huffy when someone calls you on it. In the Civic topic, when someone who owns one posts his legitimate criticisms of his car you come down on him like the proverbial ton o' bricks, and ask why he's posting at all.

You are a rude, hypocritical piece of work, aren't you? And before you fire off one of your bloated knee-jerk screeds consider this: If you don't like what I have to say, then don't read it.
  • Options
    On a lighter note....for people interested in the driving experience of the NB, I have been baptised. It is very quiet, handling is tight and typically Germanic - all VW's have this - acceleration is brisk and suprised me (wait for the 1.8T for head snapping), and the fit and finish is excellent. Everywhere you go people stare and wave. The back seat is unexpectedly roomy for kids and shorter adults. Seats are easy to adjust. For a totally objective, non-emotional view, check out "Consumer Reports" issue this month. The starched shorts crowd LOVED this car!
  • Options
    york1york1 Member Posts: 5
    Pam2 and Isellhondas

I am new to these boards. I have been seriously reading the messages on the Edmund boards, in an attempt to figure out which car to buy, a Honda Civic or the New Beetle. I have read all the reviews I could find, online and in magazines, about both cars. Still it was a bit of an emotional issue, because I own and drive, as my primary and only car, a yellow 1979 Honda Civic that I have loved and that has held me in good stead for many years, until recently.

I have been on the fence.

Strangely enough you and Isellhondas have had a very real influence on my decision. For some reason, your comments have given me that little extra, added push that I needed to make my decision.

I am sure that "influencing others" has not been your intention, but it in my case, your comments were what made me leap off the fence and make up my mind.

I will be buying a Volkswagen New Beetle. Your comments gave me a distaste for "contemporary" hondas, or at least for some of the people that support them. A good car does not need the help of derogatory comments, focused at other cars. in order to sell it. It is a good car, on its own merit, and that is all there is to it.
  • Options
    Govu,

To get all the TDI info that you will ever want you MUST go to http://users.uniserve.ca/~fred_v

Go into the guest book and start reading. There was a post just recently about winter ( cold weather ) starting. You won't have any problems.
    If you're worried about maybe lacking some power, again no problem. You are a chip upgrade away from 115hp and 185ft/lb.And you should still be good for 45-48 mpg hwy. hmmmmm ..... For more info go to www.chip-tuning.com.
    I have talked to TDI owners that have done the upgrade and they love it.

Have fun Govu!!!
  • Options
    govugovu Member Posts: 62
    Thanks, pinhead!

Last night I also scanned through the diesel info on the sedan pages here and found many positive comments and no negatives about the TDI. In fact, almost all diesel drivers absolutely loved them.

Someone also mentioned that his TDI Passat has no trouble starting at -30 in the Montana winter. In fact, it starts more easily than his gasoline-powered car.

I get plenty of power (for me) from my '86 Audi 4000--it's a lot more fun to drive than my first car, a Mazda GLC, or any of the reliable Hondas and Oldsmobiles we had when I was growing up. If it has enough guts to merge with flair, to help me pass when needed, and to make it up a hill without labor, it's fine with me.
  • Options
    From what I understand, the TDI is no dog, most reviews indicate that trading off a couple of HP for lots more torque is worthwhile, particularly in around town driving. Of course the TDI gets pretty terrific gas, uh, make that fuel, mileage too. Me, I'm too much of hot-rodder; if I do buy an NB, I'll probably splurge on the Turbo - nice motor, my wife's Passat has one.

I don't know about cold weather in the TDI, but my parents late '70s Peugout Diesel was OK, once we fitted it with a block heater - and I'm sure the TDI is a bit more advanced.
  • Options
    We have a pest extermination company here in Texas called "Truly Nolen". This morning I saw one of their cars on the freeway. They had taken a yellow New Beetle and put black whiskers on the front, black mouse ears on the roof, and a black mouse tail on the back. It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen!! I've seen them do the same thing with other cars in years past, but I don't remember what kind of car they used. But certainly using the NB for this was a stroke of genius on their part!
  • Options
    Congratulations on your decision. I hope you enjoy your New Beetle when you get it.
  • Options
    ajvdh,

Is there someplace close to where you live that would sell you a sense of humor?
  • Options
    aleksaleks Member Posts: 2
    Listen, people. I've just got two comments to make:

1) If Pam2 and Isellhondas are tired of readers ragging on them for all their negative comments, they may consider not repeating themselves.

2) At the same time, if readers are tired of so much ragging on the above-mentioned two posters, why don't they (all the other readers) just ignore them? It's psychology, people! If you keep paying attention to someone you find annoying, they'll keep being annoying because they like the attention! End of sermon.

Now, as for the NB: I think they're rather cute, the TDI engine sounds like a great peice of work, and I wish I could actually consider affording to buy one. Thanks to all the appropriate posters for the info (good and bad) on this car.

And just for Carlady... :)
  • Options
    I didn't think I was repeating myself! I didn't think I was repeating myself! :)

Excellent point on the psychology thing! Good of you to notice.

Now, I don't ALWAYS have negative things to say about the NB. Please reference my post about Truly Nolen from earlier today.
  • Options
    Yes, that diesel NB is getting great reviews! It certainly doesn't drive like a diesel. Our Director of Community and another staffer drove the NB used for the Edmunds long term test. They put regular gas into it before they noticed the "diesel only" tag on the gas cap!

At one time, that would have been disastrous! They called a VW dealer who towed them, drained the gas tank, and refilled it with diesel. Happy ending!!

carlady/host
  • Options
    What's wrong, did post 82 hit a little close to home? Pot, kettle, black on the humor thing, toots.
  • Options
    muzhikmuzhik Member Posts: 18
    Sorry guys'n'gals,

Could not keep myself quiet...

THE NEW BEETLE IS A ONE COOOOOL CAR!

Fell in love with the shape since the first time I saw the Concept One. Now that I had a chance to sit in one on our local autoshow, I must tell you: Beetle! There is no substitute!

Actually, I sat in almost every vehicle there, including Caddilacs and Envoys, and Volkswagens simply had the best interior! Tasty, good quality, reasonable size controls, everything on its place. Even the nearby new 3-series BMW felt kind of tacky in comparison with a solid quietness of the Passat's inner side... And the Beetle was like a pure emotion mixed with style. Whoever designed the car, deserves the Automotive Nobel Prize! Why don't they give one along with the Peace and Science one ;)?
  • Options
    Don't flatter yourself.

AND DON'T CALL ME TOOTS!!!!
  • Options
    york1york1 Member Posts: 5
    Story of a Beetle Test drive

Amazing! I realize that mainly driving a 1979 Honda Civic does not give me much to judge by, but it was lovely to drive and fun! To me it seemed quite roomy, also very elegant. The car also seemed very solid. The engine had a lot of spunk and a great sound. Almost felt like driving a sports car (at least to me). All actions, steering, braking, lane changing were clean and immediate.

Spent 2 1/2 hours at the dealership. When we first inquired about the GL model, they said there wasn't such a thing. Never heard of it. GLSs only. Said they probably weren't made yet etc. Of course they didn't have any. Also all their cars came with an obligatory, added to the MSRP, sealant job for the paint, at $600 extra! They said they didn't deal, they didn't add to the sticker price and it was firm. The sealant extra was the dealership's not VW's.

At the end of 2 1/2 hrs, they changed their tune, said they would try and locate a GL model (which of course isn't made yet) in the color I wanted, at the price I was willing to pay, not a cent over the MSRP, no sealant etc. and call me tomorrow. I left a refundable deposit.

Just wanted to say that Edmunds' How to buy a new car essay helped me alot. Also taking my internet research with me.
  • Options
    Is there someplace close to where you live that would sell you a sense of humor?
  • Options
    To york1,

Go to a different dealer!! Any dealer that charges $600 for paint sealant can't be honest.

Pin
  • Options
    mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    Being a TDI owner since May I can say without hesitation that this car has been a blast. Even in its' stock form it has more than enough guts. Living in Wisconsin we've begun to have some colder weather (ie. 25 degrees) and the starting has been the same as it's been all summer. I have found that there are differences in fuel. The best I've found has been Amoco and our local station serves several trucking firms so the fuel turnover is pretty good. To anyone on the fence - go for it. You'll love it.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your negotiation. It's good to know that it can be done now. I've heard many stories of NB's pricing close to $20K, which really "bugs" me! I think dealers should honor the price that Volkswagen set for the vehicle.

I have a couple of questions. Did you test drive any other cars besides the NB? When I drove it, I had the opposite reaction. I felt it was sluggish and sounded funny. I had to always floor it to get some speed. And the interior looked a little cheap to me (I didn't like the color stripe on the inside that matches the exterior color) and I didn't think I would be able to get used to the long dash.

I'm just wondering if you shopped around and compared the driving with other cars. I've also been wondering (and haven't been able to get any feedback here) how a person's current car influences his/her love of the NB. Since you're coming from a 1979 Civic, the NB would seem very nice. But I was coming from an Acura Integra, so I wasn't impressed. I also was afraid I would get tired of the looks once the novelty wore off. I didn't want to buy another car in 6 months.

Just curious about your thoughts.
This discussion has been closed.