Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler PT Cruiser (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• heart93heart93 Member Posts: 15
    It seems that PT prices are finally getting to be in the reasonbable range. I bought my PT in October for the F & F price (2% below invoice) w/o having to push very hard.
    I was also a little leery of Chrysler quality. I now have over 5,000 miles w/ no trouble & everything remains very solid. If this continues, I will consider making another Chrysler purchase in the future.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    However the early indicators are very promising. Consumer Reports shows all red circles in their frequency of repair record, indicating a much better than average repair record. All the initial reviews commented how tightly put together the vehicle was and the extended use reports are reporting few or no problems.

I also follow the Chrysler usenet group and am a member of ptenthusiasts and neither have very many trouble posts for the Cruiser.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I ever heard was when they first came out a friend here in Austin commented that it didn't really cool the interior enough on the 100+ degree days. I wondered if they were using a too small Neon A/C unit in the larger PT. Oh, and his window washers dribbled and left water streaks on the hood.
  • alika21alika21 Member Posts: 7
    For those of you that think the PT Cruiser is a cool car, congrats you have been suckered by great advertising to make you that that a car with no soul is cool. This car is retro, yea it looks like a '37 ford one of the ugliest cars that ford ever made. Chrysler could not even steal one of their own designs!
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    I'm not a big PT cruiser fan, but what gives you the right to decide what's cool for people and what's not? Something tells me your as young or younger than the "21" in your screen name. Cool cars are whatever makes you feel cool.
    Troll. Ignore him & he'll go away.

Actually getting back on topic - the quality of the PT is pretty impressive so far. If I have any gripes, it would be that the carpet be better quality / better installed. To reach the price point, something has to give. I guess this was one of the areas.
    "Flamed" models at the Dealer recently. It looks pretty sharp even tho it is a decal. $495 option. This one was an Inferno Red one.
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    Has any seen or heard about the availability of the Dream Cruiser? I thought it was supposed to be released in January, but there are none in my area yet.
    They can be ordered now and are actually beginning to show up at the dealers. There have been a couple of posts about people actually finding an uncommitted one at a dealer and buying it.
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    On my way home from work today, going North on Woodman in the San Fernando Valley [CA.]parked in front of an apartment building was a PT Cruiser LIMO!!! White with about 3 doors and space between the driver's door and the last two. What a shock. When was this done??? Talk about doing a double take!! I'd love to know how much the wheelbase was extended, whether it was a one shot for a movie, or will several be built for rental agencies. Anyone remember the Chrysler Le Baron {?} K car limos??? I guess this is the 21st Century version. [and before anyone takes offense "version" meaning of the mini limo concept, not the PT as a 21st Century K car!!!]
    Wish you could have seen it,very very unusual. Dave
  • rairairairai Member Posts: 1
    My Concorde lease is coming to an end. I had a good experience with little trouble, comfortable ride, low maintenance. I'm in the mood for a change and considering PT Cruiser. I'm a little concerned about the adjustment, I had a 3.2 engine. What's the dream cruiser?
    See http://www.chrysler.com/pt_cruiser/models/dreamcruiser.html for all the poop on the special edition.

Gold in color. I'm curious to see what the color looks like in person. You can't always judge from the color you see in the internet picture. I know the dark taupe frost looks a lot better in person than it does in the pictures. Does anyone know if the dream price is in line with the limited model?
    I'm not normally a fan of the flame job, but I passed a dealership the other day that had a white PT (not too many of those where I live) that had the bumpers painted the body color. Over that were light purple flames. Very classy - nice effect.

rairai - If you're used to the Concorde, you will notice a difference in the PT's power. If you would consider a 5 speed, that would make up some of the difference. The first PT I drove was an automatic & I was not happy with the power. I ordered the manual transmission (I like to shift my own gears) & the power is much more useable. Very acceptable for most everyday situations.
    the GT Cruiser is still a go, but don't know how soon. This is tweaked suspension, few body mods and a SUPERCHARGER! Or Turbo, not sure which. I think around 200 hp. Been awhile since I read about it.
    From what I understand, you can purchase supercharger kits for around $3000. That would be nice, but I don't have that kind of cash & am not interested in voiding my powertrain warranty. For those who have tried or know anyone who has, what are some of the most cost effective (i.e. under $200) performance upgrades for the PT?
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    For $200 or less, you can do an intake mod (K&N, others) that is reported to be pretty effective. There's lots of info on this at http://www.ptenthusiasts.com/. Look in the PT Forums area. The next best thing is an exhaust mod, but $200 won' get you very far.
    Thanks.

I keep telling my wife that same thing, but she remains unsympathetic;-)
  • stoltziestoltzie Member Posts: 15
    I think my quest for a "fun" car is making progress. We rented a black 2001 PT Cruiser Limited from Thrifty this weekend. The car was a bit travel worn with 20,000 miles and some blemishes in the interior due to hard use. I logged about 230 miles today and was very impressed.

Even though with 20,000 rental miles on the clock, the car was solid with no rattles. I found the power to be sufficient once the revs were over 3000. Fuel mileage was a little lower than I had hoped at about 23 to 24 mpg in mixed urban rural driving. Our 2001 Honda Odyssey would get the same mileage in similar circumstances. Question for the board, what mileage do you see with your Cruiser? Our rental has the automatic. I prefer a manual transmission if I were to purchase.

My wife enjoyed riding in the car and plans on driving it with the kids tomorrow before returning it to the rental agency.

So far I really enjoyed the PT Cruiser experience. Other 'Cruiser drives would wave and smile as they passed me by. I'll make my final decision this week to see if I will join the club.

S.
    I own both an automatic and a 5 speed Cruiser, both 2002 models. The automatic is getting about 23-24 mpg in mixed urban rural driving. My 5 speed has been doing about 26-27 mpg in mixed driving, it only has about 2800 miles on it so it is still breaking in. One additional note. As enjoyable as you are finding the automatic, the 5 speed is that much more fun to drive.
    I have a 5 speed PT & get about 24 mpg in mixed driving (w/ a heavy foot). I agree about the power - not enough below 3000 rpm. The 5 speed goes a long way in solving that. I think you'll be happier with that, and I did drive an automatic first for comparison. I don't think I would have been happy with the auto.

I'm glad to hear the one you drove is holding up well. This is my first Chrysler & QC was my biggest concern (no problems so far).
  • msu1msu1 Member Posts: 6
    I am getting 24 to 25 MPG
    I just turned 12,000 miles
    all is good
    msu
  • cowdoodoocowdoodoo Member Posts: 7
    What do you guys think of the new competition out there, such as Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, and the Mazda Protege 5?

I heard that sales for the PT Cruiser have dropped like 30-40% and that you can get a great bargain for the PT Cruiser now.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    The "competition" isn't a funky retro car. The PT just became available, that's all. Once the initial frenzy wore off, there were plenty of cars available.
    Sales have evidently slowed down a bit in the Midwest. The local dealers have plenty of inventory. In the Chicago metro area, and in the Northeast, I think, there is a $1,000 rebate. Plus some dealers run specials on the weekend for an additional $1,000 incentive--$2000 total under invoice is how the advertising goes.
    In it's first year of production, there was not enough production capacity to supply the demand. That has changed. It doesn't mean that the vehicle is any less capable, just easier to get.

The new crossover vehicles all look as though they would be very nice, very capable cars. My only hesitation is that Pontiac seems to have isolated the ugly gene. The Vibe is an improvement on the Aztek, but not much of one. Are any of the competitors for me? No, their contemporary styling does nothing for me. The PT offers a contemporary interior and mechanics in a somewhat unique retro exterior. If that appeals to a buyer, as it did to me, then there is no competition.
    has a short piece on a "PT10" that someone put together. A PT, HIGHLY modified, turned into a mini-pickup with a V10 Viper engine! Yowza.
    The Vibe's a rebadged Matrix.
    I was not stating that the Vibe was descended from the Aztek but that the looks of the Vibe were an improvement over the Aztek. That said, it's still dog ugly.
  • leejrleejr Member Posts: 3
    Been shopping for a cruiser for about a week since my wife informed me she wanted one as a second vehicle. Test drove 5-speed last saturday. Had been reading this site for a few days and was concerned about power, quality, etc. Was very pleased by how solid and roomy it was and very suprised by power having had low expectations. Now looking for cranberry limited. Might order. Been offered $2000 off msrp with rebate on stock car or order. Thanks for all the information. I'll write after we take delivery.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for your message. Good luck with your decision. We look forward to hearing all the details.... Happy shopping!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    I have been looking at Pt Cruisers and cross shopping a bit myself. The PT is the best looking of the group unless you just prefer the modern look of the Matrix. I was hoping for a bit more power in either of the new wagons. I have three manuals now and was hoping for a automatic this time. I admit the stick is better in the cruiser but I was hoping for a transmission that was covered under warrantee as long as the rest of the car. I am not hard on clutches but they are not covered and changing one in a transverse engine is a pain. If I do get one I guess I will just have to risk another stick. The P-5 looks good and should be a pretty nice car. So far I just can't get into the Focus. Not that it is a bad car. Right now there are some small SUVs that offer some of the seat changing abilities of the PT so I will have to see which will give me the best deal. The thing that makes me happy right now is that they are finally dealing on PT's. There are several dealers that are offering the base models for less than MSRP. Even with the options I am interested in that would be less than $19,000. I will have picked one by the end of April I believe.
    Looks like the PT gets the nod. Now that they are up to production the prices have come down a bit and if nothing else they sure do look good. I don't know about other owners but it just feel good driving one. People just can't help themselves, they have to look. I like the idea of the multiple seat configurations and a full load of after market parts. Wish me luck.
    In todays market, there seem to be few losers. That said, I'm sure you will love your PT as much as I love my two. Take a look at www.ptenthusiasts.org You will find other owners that have as much fun with their cars as you will with yours.

Now to the nitty gritty. Details, what color, what model etc.
    Thanks for the site. Depending on how you look at it I think I was lucky. I have a few friends that have PTs and they filled me in a bit. Some of them wanted a loaded PT with some of the nice factory options offered by DC. Others wanted to make the PT their own and with the aftermarket places all over that isn't too hard. I decided to go with the "Make it my own" group and have started with the base model. I did get the upgraded tires and wheels and jumped up one lever on the sound system. I decided to get the Almond Pearl Metallic with Taupe Pearl/beige interior. Looks pretty good with the alloy wheels and the 205x55x16 Goodyear Eagles. Next week I am having the back windows Limo tented. I have the stick because I live in the mountains and felt it will pull the hill a bit better. I have already hooked up with some people form California Cruisers (www.californiacruisers.com) I am looking forward to making this my PT.
    and good luck. So when will you be taking delivery? We look forward to hearing more.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    I got most of the deal done on the phone. I stopped by, told the people what I wanted and how much I wanted to pay. They called me at home and invited my son and I to dinner to sign the papers and take delivery. I had to go back the next day for the rims and tires but other than that it was pretty nice. It was a hard choice to tell the truth. There was some very tempting deals on some of the small SUVs Like the Santa FE and VUE. The P-5 looked sporty, the Matrix/Vibe was pretty racy and the outback wasn't bad. I think it came down to head room, versatility, visual attraction and after market sources. Of course a good deal doesn't hurt. What I love the most? One might be the looks you still get as I drove home. But the seating position has to be one of the best in class. IMHO.
  • marrelammarrelam Member Posts: 2
    After spending 3 hrs. in my local dealership (Cleveland, OH) I walked away with the following info. $3500 in lease incentive cash or $1500 in buy incentive cash. I'm considering the base model with options for moonroof pkg., antilock brake system, and deep tinted glass. I can lease it for 48mos./$255mo/12k miles a yr. at $15,690 with $500 down payment. Or buy it at $17690. What's the BEST deal anyone has received or heard of???
    Leasing doesn't work for me. I put too many miles on every year. Plus in California if you lease you have to carry the higher insurance. At least in my area. That price sounds pretty good to me. They had some Cheaper at a few dealers I went to but if you get the options you are talking about at that price I would buy. But then I put a pretty good chunk down so my payments would be lower. Leasing does let you in for less money up front in some places.
  • svt2svt2 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a cruiser, steel blue limited, ABS, heated seats. seems to be the only way the limited comes. What types of deals have you all got on you cruiser. I live in southern California. The dealers seem unwilling to deal even though each dealer I go to has at least 30 cruisers sitting in the back. Will there be incentives out here anytime soon? Any help greatly appreciated.
    I've seen them sell close to invoice in your area.
    Got mine in Redlands at just over invoice. I am sure other dealers will also. They are still selling pretty good so you have to be willing to put up with their attempts to get you for as much as they can. There is a dealer in Temechula selling them at MSRP and some base models at a discount. Look for the best deal you can and then try some place like Ontario where they advertise the " We won't be undersold" add in the paper. It can be done. To avoid much of the hassle go straight to the Fleet manager at any of the bigger dealers and he will give you the bottom line price. At the very least he will be more direct.
  • stoltziestoltzie Member Posts: 15
    Well,

I'll finally ordered my PT Cruiser. A dealer close to my house was able to cut a deal with rebates and other incentives to about $400 under invoice for a Light Almond base model with 5 speed, power package and cruise.

Was an interesting journey of renting one for a weekend for an extended test drive, calling dealers, looking on line and faxing request. Funny thing is, I got the best deal by walking in off the street. Also got a fairly decent trade in on my old car.

So far so good and hopefully I'll have my Cruiser in 6 to 8 weeks.

S.
    Welcome to the Dark Side ;-D

It sounds like you got yourself a pretty car and one I'm sure you will enjoy for a very long time. If you haven't had an opportunity to do so yet, take a hop over to:

www.ptenthusiasts.org

They're a nice group of people and it's a good place to get technical questions answered as well as keep track of upcoming cruiser events.
    Sounds like you got a great deal. We look forward to hearing all the details.... please keep us posted. Happy motoring!

To crkeehn - Please feel free to share any news with us that you find at ptenthusiasts.org. Hope you will also let them know about us.... Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    They are well aware of the work of Edmunds and their reviewers. In fact they are amazingly aware of anything that seems to pertain to PT Cruisers. The first I knew that the Edmunds consumer evaluation section was up and running was when a thread opened discussing the early PT reviews.
    "They are well aware of the work of Edmunds and their reviewers."

And to also point out to people that Town Hall is a separate entity from the Edmunds' Editorial Staff and Reviewers. Okay? The member opinions posted here are very much appreciated and highly respected... not just by other consumers passing through here, but have also been taken notice of by the manufacturers and press as well. Once again, thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • leejrleejr Member Posts: 3
    After working two dealers and coming up with the options and price I was happy with we finally bought our new cruiser (my wife says it's her's). We chose a limited steel blue cruiser with ABS, heated seats,(my wife is cold-blooded) roof rack, stereo upgrade-really nice. MSRP was $22,025 and we got $1000 rebate and $1000 discount and $2400 trade for 1995 ford windstar with 98000 miles. We really love it. Will be getting a 2002 honda oddysey ex-l res in a few weeks (being built right now) red. Showed one to the kids at the dealer the other day and they said they liked the cruiser better- the vote was unanimous. Really appreciate edmunds com. They have helped me immensely in picking cars, working dealers, etc. I was talked into the 7 year 75k mile extended warranty for $770 . Does anyone have any experience with chrysler warranties. I have 30 days to cancel it and am not feeling very good with it so far. thanks for the help. P.S. Very happy with Brenner Motors in Mechanicsburg, PA.
    But my dealer was giving the 7 year 100,000 warrantee with each new Chrysler. I wasn't sure so I had a copy of the warrantee faxed to me to be sure. That might be why I couldn't get them down to MSRP however.
  • little9little9 Member Posts: 30
    Let's see...underpowered, overweight, and MSRP over 20K with dealers reluctant to deal...not to mention seating right out of the minivan line. Sounds like PT is the one for me.
    like neither the PT nor this thread is "the one" for you.
This discussion has been closed.