Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 - Part X

Comments

• Options
    zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    4700 mi.- had clutch pedal return spring replaced.
    diesel sound - based on ownership of zx2 prev.
    this seems to be normal.most unpleasant sounds can
    be alleviated by heavy cd usage.the only shake,rattle or roll i hear comes out of those fine
    stock speakers.
  • Options
    stevehoutxstevehoutx Member Posts: 8
    silyboy:

Saw your response (#455) on the $85 armrest.
    Where can I find the Focus accessory catalog you mentioned? I'd like to see how it differs from the 4 door armrest.

I'm not sure if I like the armrest yet. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but it seems like it's about an inch too high, and as someone mentioned earlier, it seems to get in the way when I'm shifting.
  • Options
    silyboysilyboy Member Posts: 90
    The Focus accessory catalog should be available at your local Ford dealer. There have been 2 versions of the catalog so far. The first versions has a beach scene with a silver sedan on the cover. The more recent versions (with more accessories for your Focus) has a red ZX3 on the cover. I would check with a sales person or with the parts dept. to see who has it. I got mine in the literature rack with all the regular brochures.

The armrest is the same one as in the sedans. So you already will know what it looks like
  • Options
    njzx3njzx3 Member Posts: 170
    So im at work tonight and a friend of mine went to the same dealer that i ordered my Z from... so she calls me and 20 mins later she showed up at my workplace drivin the only Z that was left on the lot... she remembered me speakin highly of it, and lo and behold... she drove it, and it's now hers... I have converted a honda owner =) now if only my Z would show up...
  • Options
    stanky73stanky73 Member Posts: 14
    Mine was built January 2000. Currently has 6500 miles on it. I don't recall the hesitation and rattling noise occurring for the first 1000 miles or so. Then again, I was probably just too damn happy to have a new car. Oh and a CD player to boot. Well, at least I know that others are experiencing the same thing. Just need to get that pesky pass. side leak fixed now. Thanks for your help, input, and listening to me [non-permissible content removed] a few days ago. This is a very useful group.

Joe
  • Options
    stanky73stanky73 Member Posts: 14
    Ok, I saw a Sony Focus a few weeks ago and it had a white gauge plate (you know, the speedo, tach, odometer, etc) --- I don't know the real name of this item but you get my drift I hope. Anyway, It just looks too damn cool! I want one badly for my ZX3. I asked the dealer about it and he said Ford did not sell just this plate --- I would have to buy the whole inner dash for like $500. I saw an aftermarket one for around $85 I believe. I asked the Ford dealer about the aftermarket one and he said he would not mess with the dash at all. But I imagine you have to remove this to replace bulbs, no?

Has anyone put one in on a Focus? If so, is it difficult? Are there any potential problems I may run into now or in the future? Any help is appreciated to quell this excessive urge.

Thanks again,
    Joe
  • Options
    focusphanfocusphan Member Posts: 1
    Joe,

I drive a Sony Edition Focus and the face plate in mine is more of a silver but they do make aftermarket white and silver face plates. Go to http://www.fastfoci.com and go into their forums and scroll down to appearance and click on interior, someone has left a posting with exact directions on how to change face plates, it looks pretty difficult to do, but I guess that depends on your mechanical abilities, and as mine are very limited it looks pretty hard.

Good Luck,

Brent
  • Options
    norwaydougnorwaydoug Member Posts: 249
    My z was born in May 2000. I have heard this diesel sound a few times, but it is not consistent. My z has 4200 miles and runs great.

Since it has been a topic, I have opened the windows (both sides), but I have not heard it at all. I do have that hesitation. My 5 speed transmission is perfect. No balking or any problems.

I have driven 5 spd for 22 years (I am 40!)and this is my experience with all the cars I have owned and tips on how I shift:

When trying to engage in reverse, it requires from time to time to engage the clutch more than once. When engaging in reverse, the car must be fully stopped and I always have the clutch fully engaged and gently shift to reverse and it should be performed slowly.

Engaging into first should also be performed at a somewhat slower operation. One does not not slam on the clutch and rifle the shifter into first. Shifting all other gears can be performed as fast as you like. Full engagement of the clutch is extremely important.

Needless to say, I have always had more than 80,000 miles on my clutches and have never had a transmission problem.

Downshifting a bit of an art. Revs and speed are important factors when shifting and become more important as you shift from 5-4 (any speed); 4-3 (from about 40 mph or less) and 3-2 (from about 35 or less). It should always be smooth and not herky jerky!! I never shift from 2-1.

ND
  • Options
    vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    ND,
    this is my first brand new car.
    I had several old cars with manual transmissions before. And most of them seemed to have smoother and way lighter shifting trannys than the Focus. Especially the one on my
    Chevy Sprint with 252K on it.
    The Sprint's tranny could be shifted literally just by finger movements.
    My focuses tranny (2000 miles) in comparison has some kind of a heavy feel to it. And it takes longer to upshift and downshift than in the other cars.
    Here is a question.
    Is your tranny becoming lighter the more miles you put on it or is this the way it was designed to perform?
    Or was it light and smoothe from the day one?

Thanks.
  • Options
    jwkessler1jwkessler1 Member Posts: 99
    One very difficult to locate and rather common source of strange noises involves the heat shields around the exhaust system. Loose bits of sheet metal can make all sorts of weird sounds. These noises can conduct through the car body or exhaust system so they sound like they are coming from totally different locations.

Another related source is loose baffels inside mufflers or occasionally catalytic converters.

These problems are most common on older cars, but assembly errors or bad spot welds on a new car can do it as well.

Fortunately these noises are annoying, but they are otherwise harmless.
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    ND is right on target. When shifting from neutral to reverse, depress the clutch fully, lift the lock ring, and slowly but deliberately move the lever into reverse. If you engage 4th momentarily before shifting into reverse or first from neutral, you will find it slips into gear much easier. Why? Because engaging a forward gear like 4th causes the synchromesh rings to stop the rotation of input/counter shafts in the transmission, and this helps smooth the engagement process. Higher gears like 3rd or 4th are easier to engage than a low gear like 1st. And yes, a gearbox with high miles will shift with very little effort - often you don't even need to use the clutch! As gearboxes age, they tend to become smoother and easier to shift - this is also called "wearing out" :-) Good point about buzzing heat shields. Those of us who change our own oil have noticed the heat shields protecting the steering rack and power steering fluid lines from exhaust heat. These shields can be carefully bent if they happen to be touching a component, or are too close to something that might cause a rattle. Careful - the edges of these shields are extremely sharp! It pays to be able to put your car up on ramps for a little look-see.
  • Options
    Heat shields are an excellent point. I have noticed an amazing array of heat shields on the underside of the vehicle. They can vibrate.

The Focus gear shifter is pretty good. I have not noticed it to be improving over time, but it was quite good to start off with.

While shifting,I notice a slight resistance prior to going into the gear of choice. It is very silky, but there is a point where you need to use a slight force. I do not shift it with a firm grip, but just a light grasp of the shifter and gently guiding it into the gear. Reverse involves a more deliberate action. Timing is key. The full engagement of the clutch is mandatory. The shift throws are fairly long, but the clutch action is absolutely perfect. Taking your time is important.

I think some people are hearing wierd noises intermitantly because of their lack of good technique. No damage is done to your transmission, but it balks at this 'rushed' operation and noise is created.

I have noticed people shifting like they are working hard and beads of sweat are building up on their brow. Manhandling. It should be a skilfully performed task where your passenger doesn't even notice that you have a 5 speed. Subtle.

ND
  • Options
    tognetertogneter Member Posts: 245
    I had an '81 Toyota Starlet (great car) which had a chipped gear from a friend trying to go into reverse at about 60mph (he was going for 4th...ouch). Anyway, the point is, I often had to go into first and then into reverse for the exact reason that SB outlined or the car wouldn't go into reverse AT ALL. It does make it easier.

Also, make sure to come to a complete stop when backing out and then starting forward. You put a lot of undue strain on your car when you shift into first and start forward while still rolling back.

And try not to sit at lights with the clutch depressed or balance on hills.

As far as shifting: Every shifter has a different feel. I like the very deliberate feel of this shifter. It's more precise than many. Some shifters are so loose that you can't tell what gear you're in unless you already know. Mine is loosening up a bit with just over 5000 miles, and I quite like the feel of it. I also love the clutch in this car.

that is all...
  • Options
    A lot of good points.
    Appreciate everyone's effort.
    Gonna spend a part of the weekend examining the heat shields.
    And in general will take a good look at that area.

Thanks everybody.
  • Options
    You have a good sense of humor.

I agree. Do not shift in first while your car is still moving in reverse. Keeping your foot off the clutch while at a stop is important too.

Also keep your left foot on the floor while not shifting. It is very comfortable this way because of our upright seating position. You will wear out the clutch prematurely if you leave your foot resting (even lightly) on the clutch between shifts.

ND
  • Options
    rgarnerrgarner Member Posts: 37
    Not really, but I thought it sounded good.

My build date: June 2000

Problems here:

1-Bad Mass Air Flow Sensor (replaced). Hesitation has gotten better since I get a new sensor.

2-Doesn't idle all that smooth. Every few seconds in idle it shakes a bit, not much, just a bit.

3-Noise in the tranny. While I've only been hearing this in gear at low RPM's, a funny thing happened last night. Maybe this will add some insight to our discussion. After I cranked my Focus she was making the normal "in gear" noises at idle and in neutral. I popped the hood, noises still going, and looked around the engine. If I only had a stethoscope from work with me :0. Anyway, I couldn't place the noise, but it definitely wasn't just a loose component somewhere on the top of the engine. Anyway, I still heard it when I gave it some gas in neutral. To me it sounds identical the noise you get if you try to put the car in gear without pushing in the clutch. A light rat-tat-tat is heard. This is similar I think. Anyway, it hasn't become a driveability problem yet, but I'm scheduled to meet with the Ford tech. Gods Monday. After turning off my Focus and restarting her, she no longer made the sound in idle, but did if I gave her some gas, still in neutral. This still happens on and off.

Other than that, she's beautiful...I keep loosing myself in thought on the highway, only to look down and find her at 70...75...80...she's such a cruiser.

I'm praying daily that the Ford elves that live in my engine will be good to me on my vacation!
  • Options
    focuszx3rfocuszx3r Member Posts: 92
    It doesnt matter that, this is just a characteristic of the car, other cars do it too. The sounds is just like when you are lugging the engine. Mine is built in Jan 2000, and it does that slight lugging noise until 2000 rpm, and the hesitation @ 18-2200 rpm. This is just the car, and though I would like to see the hesitation fixed because it may free up some performance on our cars, i think it wont be.
    I am alos excited because I get my baby back from the body shop in 1 hour and a half, and its gonna be perfect!! I didnt have a problem getting parts, because I couldnt get an appointment for repair for less than a month after, and all the parts needed came in, though at different times. I was worried about that but we got all the parts, which was a front fender, door frame, moldings, center caps, rocker panel. The total of the repair is $2200, bout 300 less then we thought. I cant wait till i can be proud to drive my car again!! Do you know how embarassing it is to drive a brand new car with a messed up right side????? (especially when your a teenager!)
  • Options
    focuszx3r,
    I am lost.
    What is just a characteristic of the car you're reffering to?

rgarner,
    I have the SAME idle shake.
    Exactly as you described it.(not sure if it's normal).

And other problems as well.
    Nice observation btw.
    Wonder if replacement of the MAF sensor will lessen my engine hesitation.
    Regarding the tranny noise. It's always there during acceleration.
    In neutral it comes and goes without any particular pattern
    And if it present I can make it go away by pressing the clutch pedal again. Weird stuff.
  • Options
    bstreckebstrecke Member Posts: 5
    hi

y'all are kinda depressing....my zx3 came in to day (ordered may 6th). i pick it it up saturday!!! tell me i should still be excited....
  • Options
    whyfordwhyford Member Posts: 50
    Shifting into reverse problems? I do not have problems but if you just jog the car forward in first gear before shifting into reverse it clears the oil out from the gears and prevents what seems to be a minor case of hydraulic lock as the gears have oil trapped between them and makes it difficult to mesh the gears. Not sure if anyone understands what i am saying but....without giving a picture i am not sure how to explain it.

Can we post digital pictures here onto the Forum? If yes i would like to know how. I did a real low budget idea on the headlight wedge shape with static film and paint to test what the headlights would look like with the top edges rounded out a wee bit. Changed the whole front end look!

Just farting around and the cost was ZIP to experiment without harming the car in anyway.

Brake dust is not so much a problem as i think the pads have seated and the rotors are doing the same.

Short Story for today (BORING)

Cheapo lawnmower formed all engine moving parts into one. Time to go get a new lawn mower!

Figured twenty minutes would have the seats figured out on how to fold them down etc...

Button pushed on rear seat left...folded. What? I guess i should push it back up and find out how to pull the rear seat forward! Grabbed the back of the seat/folded forward/pushed the rear seat release button left/then right side! Done! 30 seconds.

Opened Hatch and released the "hide" cover and tossed it forward. Total time/first time? 1 minute.

Went to Sears and bought a good (on sale) mower and tossed it in sideways and not lenghtwise.

No match for a pick up truck but when the loading guy held the carton one way and i said to put it in sideways he said "are you sure"? Well with a carton with staples on the bottom i knew if i was wrong my tail bumper would be scratched.

Gained a little more respect for the ZX-3 because of the ultra low lift required to put packaged goods into the boot.

Figured out why the birds Chit on my car at work! Park away from refuse bins! Almost got the distance right as i only have bird Chit down one side of my car :)

Clutch seems fine now. Pulling fast in first i get a torque shift feel (not a PULL but an ossilation<sp english is not that good).

Still think the A/C sucks but all in all i really do like this car.

Ohhh spoke with a person that has the wagon 5-sd and asked him about the 'boating' and he said not a problem.

Just for fun i said "Windows'? WOOOWWZA!

We BOTH AGREE that they roll down BACKWARDS and are difficult to reach AND that it takes to many rolls to get the windows down/up.

Going to install power windows myself as i have the motors and know how?

Great Forum, and let's ask for options to 'Carlady'/to allow PICTURES.

With all respect.

WhyFord?
  • Options
    You'll notice that most of us have ZERO problems, or maybe one or two minor ones. The problems seems to be few and far between. Even rgarner, who seemed to have the worst of it, claims to love his ZX3.

My point? Re-read the posts. most of us are happy. Also, people are more likely to post if they have a complaint than if they're 100% satisfied. So, if 25% of the people on this board have minor problems, and maybe 10% (I'm making these #s up) have bigger ones, then in reality its more like 10% and 3% or so. Am I making sense?

We're mostly happy, and these boards are filled with praise for the car. Stay excited...you'll love your Z.
  • Options
    The tranny noise you mention is just as I have experienced it, it comes and goes without reason. Alot of times I feel the same rat-tat-tat in my clutch if I press it lightly. Definitely a tranny issue, but is it a *real* problem?

Is it just me, or is everyone's gas pedal plastic and flimsy? Not really a problem, just an observation.

Yes, I love my Z and I'll tell you why. For one, it's a car that fits my needs almost perfectly. Like I've said before, beyond a few small changes, it's all I want. Secondly, I commend Ford for having the guts to produce a world-class world car! Where's chevrolet's version, there isn't one! And it is new, so we should expect some unforseen problems. Last time I checked (and I went to an engineering school), engineering was not a perfect discipline. So, in some way we're all lab rats, but who wants to buy a car just because it's been out for 20 years and every possible glitch has been fixed? We all take risks! Yet, there still are no perfect cars...the Focus is an experiment without lasting results in my mind. Hopefully it will be successful...

Btw, I'm a former Ford, Honda, Jeep, and MGB owner. The Focus is by far the most well designed car I've owned, except I'll hold that comment for the time being in terms of engineering and reliability. I'm optimistic, but it will take time to see how our sweet cars last. I would highly recommend the Focus, and I've been down the road of car problems, many, many times. But I'm also mature enough to know that stressing over car problems isn't worth it in the scheme of things.

More to come...hope we can all sleep peacefully knowing we've made the right choice.
  • Options
    maynard7maynard7 Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone been able to find the oil filter in the ZX3? I've been under the car looking up, and over the engine compartment looking down, and can't find it anywhere. I didn't find the location mentioned in the owner's manual.

By the way, I'm completely satisfied with my ZX3 (not even a tiny problem has surfaced in 8K miles). I've never been so happy with a new car.
  • Options
    rgarner - Old tyme mechanics use a solid rod as a stethoscope. A long screw driver works well. Place one end on the engine or other part you suspect is making a noise, and put the other against your ear. You can locate noisy bearings, tapping sounds, and lots of other issues this way.

I really wouldn't obsess too much over these little details. Most cars make odd noises and they run thousands of miles while doing it.

whyford - There are actually two very good Focus discussion boards, this one and the Focus Forum. Focus Forum does allow pictures, and is a very active group. Several folks have already posted interesting headlight mods there. Visit it at;

http://www.discussion-board.com/clubfocus

Yeah, I know there are others, but these are the best!
  • Options
    The oil filter is located on the intake side of the engine (toward the firewall), under the intake manifold and slightly to the rear of the alternator. It is most easily reached from under the car, where you will see it mounted horizontally against the side of the block. If this is the first time you've gone looking for it in 8K miles, you are overdue for an oil and filter change, my friend :)
  • Options
    zx3zx3 Member Posts: 167
    S/B: Thanks for your input ("MTV is a synthetic lube used with no problems in all BMW trannys").

I want to use synthetic oil in the 5-spd manual transmission of my z. For a quieter, smoother, transmission.
    The tranny is quiet and smooth now, but I want to make sure I use the "best" lube in it anyway.

In "Focus Owners Guide" P.249 (under "Lubricant Specifications") there are two "Manual Transaxle"s listed.
    I guess that means, all 5-spd Z's come with one of two transmission models. (Is that right?)
    I don't know which Model I have.
    Here they are......

"MANUAL TRANSAXLE FLUID--IB5"....
    "synthetic manual transmission fluid".
    "MANUAL TRANSAXLE FLUID--MTX75"....
    "Mercon automatic transmission fluid".
    (I assume "IB5" and "MTX75" are the Transmission Model #'s. Correct?)

MY QUESTION:
    Do you think the z can use synthetic in either tranny?
    I know you say BMW uses it in all their trannys -- but do most, or all other car mfrs "use/allow" synthetic in their 5-spd trannys also?
    I ask, because if I wait around for Ford to give me the answer, I'll wait forever.
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    zx3
  • Options
    whyford- i have noticed recently 4800k mi.that the
    brake dust has been reduced significantly.i had
    also thought a/c was not too cool.however it was pointed out to me by fgaydos sometime back to
    engage the the interior re-circ.button.after initial cooling .it does get
    icy cold.after 7 mo. the window cranks + door locks
    seem normal.
  • Options
    focusfanaticfocusfanatic Member Posts: 42
    Why does everyone complain about brake dust? It's a poor man's anthracite wheels! Haha!
  • Options
    focuszx3rfocuszx3r Member Posts: 92
    My clutch feels fine and my car always goes into gear without problem, tho sometimes 1st can be a little stiff when cold. My father's Dakota does the same thing, so i see it as normal. the hesitation I am describing is VERY slight and not a major issue at all, and it only occurs from 1800-2200 rpm. The ZETEC engine just does that. As for the idle shake, it is probably nothing more then vibration because the motor is running. The only car I have ever been in that doesnt shake at idle was my mom's 97 Honda CR-V. Every other 4 cylinder I have ever been in has shaken at idle.
  • Options
    First off, the ZX3 is SUPPOSED to have the MTX75 gearbox, although a few early posts mentioned getting the other transmission in their early production cars. Several manufacturers are specifying ATF (Mercon spec) for their manual transmissions mostly to cut internal friction and increase gas mileage. Many experts (including the people at Redline, makers of a full range of synthetic lubes) feel that ATF does not allow for proper synchronizer action, and can lead to baulkiness, and even some cases of gear rattle. Redline's MTL is specified as a replacement lube where GL-4 or ATF was originally called for. My experience with MTL has been great - in cold climates, your gearbox shifts like it was a summer day everyday. Give Redline a call and talk to a tech person about compatibility with the Ford MTX75 'box. I'd say "go for it". BTW, Redline makes a great synthetic ATF, if you'd rather go that route.

Paranoia alert: It isn't likely, but in the event of a transmission failure, Ford could do a lubricant analysis and deny warranty coverage, claiming you used the wrong lube. Legally, they would be within their rights to pull a stunt like this. Also, make sure you ask for "MTL", not "MTV"... otherwise you are going to get some weirdos with guitars and orange hair :)
  • Options
    bstreckebstrecke Member Posts: 5
    hi

thanks for the encouragement about my zx3. has any heard of colored window tinting? i'm getting autumn orange and thought that getting my windows tinted to match might be cool. any comments, suggestions?
  • Options
    I beg to differ, but all you have to do is remove a wheel and look at the information cast into the inner surfaces of the wheel spokes. When I removed my ZX3's wheels to install the EBC disc pads, I noted the wheel dimensions (15 x 6J) and offset (ET 42.5), as well as country of manufacture (Mexico) are clearly visible. If your car has 5.5 inch wide rims, that's rather odd.
  • Options
    moses5moses5 Member Posts: 61
    Now, I just got my car back after a week in the Shop. I wrote the president of Ford back in May about my dissatisfaction with their customer service and the dealerships handling of my complaint about suspension noise in the right rear--I heard creaking noises that accompanied changes in ride and handling.

Well, they finally, had an engineer to look at it. Of course he or she did not find anything wrong, just as all the other dealer technicians.
    However, in during there test the found a problem with the front strut and replaced that instead of fixing the rear suspension. There explanation to me was that the strut noise in the front was echoing to the rear--yea right!!!

So now my car has a new strut which I never knew was broken and a rear suspension that still needs fixing. I don't know what to do.

I know others have heard this noise and I even mentioned to them a few others on this site express hearing similar things. I was told that I need to be careful about the info you here on such sites. Well that makes 2 repair attempts and 4 dealer visits. Ford stated that lemon law is 4 repairs to be declared a lemon. I like my car but am tired of dealing with this issue. I don't know if I would purchased this car again if given a choice!!

I welcome any feedback.
  • Options
    I ride looked at several tire size specs for the ZX3 and they all said 15 x 5.5. and 6.0 for the ZTS wheels. however I may be wrong.
  • Options
    powerslidepowerslide Member Posts: 48
    I saw an intersting article that every new driver (and a lot of older drives) should read. It deals with optimum driving position and hand placement on the steering wheel. Sounds like basic (boring) stuff, but it can make a BIG difference in emergency situations. Here is the link: http://www.discussion-board.com/clubfocus/, click on Basic infomation, then Driving Positions 101.
  • Options
    kerlandskerlands Member Posts: 3
    I FINALLY got brave and purchased the Kona edition last night. Needless to say, I'm still hyper-ventilating, asking myself, "What'd I do?" What a great car, full of zip and handles so well. Now, if I can just figure out what I'm going to do with the bike!
  • Options
    I took Edgar (that's my Z's name) in for its first service today. They were very friendly, put in 4 quarts as I asked (I'll top it off), were very quick and courteous...however...

When I went to the cashier, she wanted to charge me $27 for my service. I bought the service plan (just didn't want to deal with it) so the charge should have been $0. That was quickly corrected. No biggie. Then I looked, and I couldn't find where they listed tire rotation on the invoice. I had reread the maintenance schedule, where it lists "Rotate Tires" as one of the 5000 mile services.

I said to the manager, Tim, "Tim," I said,"I don't think you rotated the tires."

To which he replied, "We don't rotate the tires yet."

To which I replied, "It says here that you do."

An he says, and this is a gem, "Yeah, but WE don't. We do it at 7,000 miles. Your next oil change."

I felt like saying "Unless YOU aren't Ford, 'cause this is a Ford document, you DO." But instead I just pointed out that my next oil change was at 10,000.

Anyway, they did it, but they wouldn't have, even though they had about 10,000 brochures that said they were supposed to. All happy now. Oil changed, filter changed, TIRES ROTATED, etc.

Edgar is happy =]
  • Options
    I took a close look at the gas pedal.
    It's just one chunk of plastic with a cable attached through a hole. Never seen anything like this before.
    Clearly a cost cutting measure.
    Also, wonder about the outcome of your trip to the dealership on Monday. Please keep us posted.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Here's a philosophical question for you.

Over the years I've made a habit of not rotating my tires. Why you may ask? Because I would rather pay for my new tires two at a time then four at a time. When the front tires finally wear out I move the still like new rear tires to the front, and put the new tires on the rear. I'm guessing that over the long haul the average wear and cost is pretty much the same.

So what's the hole in my logic? Is this a good idea or am I just an eccentric nut case?
  • Options
    Sorry to hear what you're going through. I empathize with you totally. A couple of things:

That comment about being weary of what you hear on these sites is a bunch of crap. I don't think anyone on here has any vested interest in making Ford look bad. Ford just doesn't want you to think that there could actually be a problem with your Z and a problem that is more widespread than your situation. Ford just wants to censor you from the truth, and that's just plain wrong.

As far as Ford Motor Co., you can bet that they don't give a rat's a** about you or your situation. Ford is a huge multinational corporation, and their interest is purely financial. YOU are a monthly check to them. Don't kid yourself into thinking that they actually care about you. For example, they spend millions of dollars buying up ad space in Time magazine's Earth Day issue (to remind us how environmentally friendy they are), and make those great "world" commercials, but then they introduce the Bolivian Troop Carrier (aka Excursion), not exaclty a step towards environmental stewardship. So, it's doubtful that Ford is going to go out on a limb to help you.

I recommend that you one, document all of this. The letters you've sent, service you've had, discussions with your dealer, Ford, mechanics, everything. Depending on where you live the lemon law will go into effect after a couple of services, so why not get your Z checked out 2 more times. If they can't fix it, boom, it's a lemon. Remember, YOU are the customer, and you have the right to have a car that works according to your desires and what is reasonable. If your dealer refuses to service your car take it to another dealer. If Ford Motor Co. refuses to service your car, seek litigation.

And that brings me to the last step you could or should take. In most states the Attorney General's office handles the lemon law and other consumer complaints. Don't hesitate to contact the AG should Ford stonewall you.

Just my thoughts, but I strongly believe that you should do what you can to have your problem fixed. Like I said, you are the consumer.

Hope that helps...
  • Options
    Sounds like the sales manager is a jerk.
  • Options
    Sorry, make that service manager.
  • Options
    I must say that the Assistant Service Manager was nice to me. More personable than the last sevice advisor and manager. However, overall I don't think service departments really care about your complaints. It seemed as if I was just a routine thing. Everything comes down to money. If I had bought a Lincoln LS or more expensive brand, I believe I would have had a different response from the beginning.

My case is hard to prove, now that a Ford engineer, not the dealership service people has looked at my vehicle. I have had my ZX3 for 7 months. I have over 12,000 miles on my car and have been dealing with this since 4,000 miles. I wonder what will happen the day after my warranty runs out?
  • Options
    jimjetjimjet Member Posts: 27
    My story: One car I own is an '86 Accord (bought new) with 5-spd. I changed the MT fluid for the first time at about 90K miles. That was definitely overdue (maintenance manual says about 50K) as it had the stinky overdue smell to it! I replaced the fluid with Mobil1 15W-50 Synthetic engine oil. It took about 2.5 qts. That was 5 years ago. It's been shifting smoothly ever since - notably so during cold weather. No leaks.
    Someone here posted a week or so ago that, on the Contour board, there were many MT problems noted. As the happy owner for 6 months of a 2000 Mystique with V6 and 5 speed, I haven't noticed that and I'm quite satisfied with the shifting and the clutch.
    I'm mostly just "listening" here because I'm a car/ZX3 fan. To me, the Z is more car for the money that a Civic Hatch and a comparable car to the VW Golf Hatch for less money.
    By the way, are the Z and the Golf built near each other in Mexico?
  • Options
    tr4racertr4racer Member Posts: 5
    Driving home from work last nite, the engine died at a stop light and would not restart. The car was towed to the dealer.

The fuel pump went out. Dealer says the part will be in Monday as he had to get the part from Ford. We shall see!
  • Options
    jwkessler1- one can certainly be an eccentric nut
    case and logical at the same time. actually,i find
    it makes life more interesting.so i ask,does this
    sound logical ? or does this sound like an eccentric nut case? by the way ,i agree with you .
  • Options
    But when the tires are worn at different rates, it significantly affects handling characteristics...
  • Options
    pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    Stopped on way home to wash ZX3 yesterday. After leaving car wash I noticed a black Kia Sportage following me. Two blondes in it. They followed me all the way home. Drove by about 3 times. My wife told me NO, I couldn't keep them. Darn!
  • Options
    togneter - Good point. I do monitor wear and replace tires before they get too nasty. Also I don't typically push the car so hard that minor changes in handling characteristics would be much of an issue.

What works ok for me might not be a good thing for everyone. On the otherhand folks who drive moderatly, avoid the weekend motorcross events, and don't have piles of cash sitting around waiting to be spent, might want to consider my practice.
  • Options
    zx3zx3 Member Posts: 167
    Since your z has had good luck with it, I too will dump my Mercon ATF fluid out -- and change to "Redline MTL" synthetic transmission fluid for my 5-spd tranny.
    Those few z owners who mention having occasional faint tranny-noise, should give it a try also -- since Redline synthetic is supposed to make transmissions quieter and smoother. (2 quarts won't bankrupt anyone).
    Is it available in Walmart, or auto stores, or do you have to contact vendor?
    Does anyone have a link to Redline? Thanks.
    Rand
This discussion has been closed.