Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5 Series Sport Wagons

12346»

Comments

• e39_touringe39_touring Member Posts: 13
    BMW also makes a nice cargo liner for the iT. There's a dealer selling them on ebay, and I got mine for about $55.

• e39_touringe39_touring Member Posts: 13
    I use Bridgestone Potenza RE950's for year-round driving and am very happy with them. Quiet ride (compared to the OE Dunlops), good rain tread (important here in Seattle), and OK all-weather capability (not so important here in Seattle).

Where do you live? If you have heavy snow, I'd use dedicated snows on narrower wheels for the best bite.

• woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    I had Michelin Artic Alpin Snows for a season on my 528iT. Pretty darn good snows; night & day compared to the OEM Conti's on the car. But after reading the snow tire report in the Nov. '02 Consumer reports, I sold them & ordered a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3's from the Tire Rack (I talked to Jim there). I got the same size as the orig. 16" tires (not narrower), & scored a set of like new BMW Style 33 wheels off a '99 540i for $400 out of a local "want-ad" publication to mount them on. (Now I just have to figure out whether to mount the snows on the new rims, or on my kind of beat stock rims, & use the new rims for summer).

Anyway, after reading CR, reading the owner ratings on Tire Rack, & talking to Jim, getting the Dunlop WS M3's seemed like a No Brainer to me. I also disagree with those who say that RWD bmw's are fine in snow with the summer tires--mine is almost undriveable in even 2-3 inches of snow w/the OEM Conti's..... ;)
  • e210se210s Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 525i. The driver door electric window control panel is not working properly. I am told that the panel for the '00, '02, '03 and '04 models will work as a replacement. Does anyone know whether one from an '08 will also work? Thanks.
  • nogginnoggin Member Posts: 1
    I am on the hunt for a used wagon (tough in Arizona) and I have decided this is the wagon for me, no question, after a lot of research...after all this, the answer to one minuscule question continues to perplex. I'm curious if the rear window is completely stationary or if it rolls down or pops out. Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks
  • mguthriemguthrie Member Posts: 1
    Hi Noggin--On the '95 525iT, there are two release buttons beside the license plate lights, one for the rear door and one for the rear window. They are electrically operated. The rear window "pops up" just as the back door. Mine, however, has a tendency to drop on my head when I'm not looking.--Michael
  • smiththebestsmiththebest Member Posts: 1
    I am on the look out for a 99/00/01 BMW wagon (preferebly 5x) or Subaru Outback due to its AWD. Can anyone give their valuable suggestion with pros and cons? In Jersey we have ~3+ months of snow time and so inclining for AWD car and everyone say Subaru is the Safest of all. This will be for my wife (I drive an ML)

I am looking at things like like Maintaince expenses, reliability and drive. Thanks all
    With all due respect to Subarus, BMW's are from a totally different planet. I have a 2000 528i Wagon. It's built like a tank, awesome road car, beautiful interior, great seats. And superb safety. You WILL NEED snow tires if you buy a RWD bmw. And Maintenence may be more. However comparing a Subaru to a bmw is like comparing a Seiko watch to a Cartier.

The last person I knew with an AWD Subie slid into another car on a snowy road when trying to brake. They had no snow tires--which you really should have even on an AWD vehicle. And if you do buy a used bmw wagon, try to get as low mileage one as possible is my advice.
  • wagonheadwagonhead Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up a 2001 525iT and they had lost the main key. The valet key got me home and dealer will pay for a new key if they cannot find it.
    However the rear latch is not "hooked" and lid is bouncing.
    Anyone know how I can get it open? or shut tight?
    They also have agreed if it needs a new latch to replace it.
    Have you tried the rear hatch release underneath the dash?
  • wagonheadwagonhead Member Posts: 2
    Tried that first, but without manual had no further direction. I ended up crawling in to the back and took off rear panel, where I found a "pull" and opened it up.
    As this is my second wagon and third E39 I was simply caught off guard.

Thanks anyway...

kb
  • view2mtnview2mtn Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know where I can get a new or used sunroof motor for my '94 525iT? I've had the car about 5 years now and I did have the tracks cleaned a few years ago and after that the sunroof started working. Six months later I went to a car wash in winter and I think water froze on the roof and I think I burned out the motor when I tried to open it again. It hasn't worked since. So I know the problem isn't the tracks, it could be either the switch or the motor, both which look fairly easy to replace. I can't find a motor anywhwere. Any suggestions?
    Have you tried Bav Auto in NH? Also, I used to order parts from a place called Eurasian that adv. in the Roundel. Lots of parts places that adv. in the Roundel. You could also try asking on one of the dedicaticated bmw enthusiast sites.....
  • freddieman88freddieman88 Member Posts: 1
    I have learned that the 525 has a sensor that unlocks doors when the airbag fires. I have heard this makes it more likely doors will open in crashes. Does anyone know if there is a motion sensor that will delay the unlocking until the car comes to a stop?
  • sailracersailracer Member Posts: 1
    A 2001 525 wagon caught my eye. I've owned Bimmers from the 70's and 80's. Any advice on owning a (for me) almost new one? Is this year / model a good bet? Thanks.
  • 1wisdom1wisdom Member Posts: 13
    Hi,
    Is it normal for BMWs to have stiff power steering? It feels like it's semi-automatic steering. I realize it's rwd however it's hard to believe a luxury sport car would take two hands to make u-turns, not fun to drive.

Please advise. Thank you
  • cmybimmergocmybimmergo Member Posts: 265
    Whwt year is your car? I can't speak for all of them, but my 02 530 sport steering is fairly stiff...and I love it. Feels exactly the way I like it.
    Thank you,

99 540i not sport package

I understand stiffness is good when we (me) performance drivers like to feel every move we make. However, it's way to stiff! 2 hands to make U-turns,not cool..

The records if this car indicates the steering pump hose had(has a leak) no record of replacement. and fluid stays at the correct level.

Another thing the car is now doing is it lunges forward on it's own when almost at a complete stop. Perhaps the throttle sensor is out. I'm the second owner. Has only 53k miles.

Please advise

Thanks again

wisdom
  • goosemangooseman Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 01 525i sport wagon with 15k original miles. It has a steptronic trans. I have a few questions, if anyone can help.
    1. My insurance calls it a 525iT. What is the "T" and could it raise my insurance rate?
    2. What are the common mechanical problems with this model?
    3. Does anyone run 91 instead of 93 octane without spark knock?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    T is for Touring... which is the european way of denoting a wagon...

I believe the recommended octane rating for most BMWs is 91, so you should be fine there..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hi,

Sorry for delay mom had open heart surgery. Anyway I have a 99 540i. Steering is way too stiff. Not a one hand handling car. I like the feel of the road too. I see people much older then myself driving these cars thinking there is no way they would want to work this hard to get car to perform.

Please advise

Wisdom
  • kkics1kkics1 Member Posts: 11
    Hello all...the tailgate on my 1999 528I just stopped working. The window does open & works just finde, but the tailgate motor just starts & stops (almost sighs.) The fuses are good...any ideas? Will I need a regulator? Or does it just need to be reset and cycled? :cry:
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Had one; great car.
    One issue my wife had was hooking the front air dam over parking curbs.
    The car is very low as in sporting.
    No trouble in 4 years of ownership. Great motor and trans.
    Traded to an S-430 4-Matic sedan.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national personal finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased (within the past year) a new 2006/2007 BMW 5 Series and would like to talk about your new car. Please send an e-mail to [email protected] no later than Thursday June 22, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information with the year of your 5 Series.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    Sorry for the late response; for some reason I never saw your post. I hope your mom is doing well.

As far as the steering goes, if you still have doubts about yours, I would have someone look at it. FWIW, I don't consider my steering to be a one-handed affair, but I don't know how stiff is too stiff for you...and anyway I have the 530i which has rack and pinion--unlike yours. Why don't you see whther you can find a similarly equipped 99 540i for sale and take it for a test drive?
    Thank you! I had a gentleman drive the car who has a 97 740i he agreed it was tooooooo stiff, also had a friend of mine drive it(his brother has 99 540i manuel) said it is tooo stiff has well not sure what it is. Perhaps steering box ouch $2K. The car lunges on it's own, not good. Now has a loud ring/type sound similar to metal/metal from brakes when I exhallerate then fades when lift foot from petal and fuel presses lowers who knows. Sorry to say disappointed.

Pls advise w/ any ideas.

Thank you again

Wisdom
    Why don't you post your questions on the Problems and Solutions board? I'm sorry, but I'm no expert; my knowledge stems mostly from my own limited experience plus what I've learned while lurking on the various boards.

Alternatively, you could find yourself a good independent mechanic and have him give it a once-over.
  • ganibarganibar Member Posts: 2
    Would anyone offer advice on how to choose a year and model 525 vs 530 Certified wagon? I am interested in joining the ranks of BMW owners.
  • monkstermannmonkstermann Member Posts: 27
    Hello there. Wondering if there's a "better year" and better powertrain for various iterations of the BMWs with sport packages.
    Have heard the 2000-2002 540i Sports have an inferior engine than 2003s. Am looking to buy used or "certified" or something that has a transferrable warranty to 100k.

Thanks!
  • alvette5alvette5 Member Posts: 3
    Which fuses did you check? Did you check the fusebox above the battery in the right, rear side panel? I had the same problem with the tailgate recently, changed 2 fuses (#53) and the problem was solved. If you did change the fuses then it would be a bad tailgate lock regulator which can be about $300 repair (at an independent mechanic, not dealership). Good luck.
  • alvette5alvette5 Member Posts: 3
    Here's a few issues to look out for:

* Loss of power or torque. Solution: replace cam sensor, $250 fix.
    * Coolant loss. Solution: possible complete radiator replacement, $450 fix.
    * Rear tailgate lock failure. Solution: change fuses in the rear panel above battery or possible tailgate lock mechanism replacement, $300 fix.
    * Auto leveling failure. Solution: Complete auto level mechanism replacement, $1500 fix.
    * Rear cup holder replacement, $40 fix.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    On my way home yesterday I was taking in the sights of an E60 Sport Wagon slowly passing me. While I'm not much of a fan of wagons in general, I do find the wagon version of the E60 to be more attractive than the sedan, and this one was done up in Sapphire Black, making it very good looking in my eyes. Then it got far enough in front of me for me to make out the model designation. "Hmmm, nice." I thought as I read "535xi" off the rear tailgate.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • a2mxa2mx Member Posts: 3
    Hi there,

I'm debating between buying a used Passat and a used BMW wagon in the $9-13K range.

I am only considering manual transmission cars, and have found quite a few specimens online, all with clean CarFax reports. Unfortunately, they all seem to be located too far for me to test-drive each particular one, unless I'm 99% certain I want to buy that vehicle.

Do any of you have any words of wisdom with regard to the reliability, maintenance costs, insurance, etc?. (For instance, a 2003 VW 60K vs. 2001 BMW 100K - any thoughts?)
This discussion has been closed.