Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    The sensor that usually gets replaced for this problem is an integral part of wheel bearing/hub assembly (in other words its part of the hub and can't be replaced as seperate item). Many times the problem is really woth the connection to the sensor (corrosion/broken wire). You may want to have them check that first.
  • crash65crash65 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 montana about 135000 miles on it. I have recently had to replace the fuel pump which was a chore in and of its self. Anywho since changing the fuel pump I have had some problems with it acting like it is misfiring while I am driving it, and it dos not make a difference if I give it the gas or not it still acts the same. It also acts like the transmission is kicking in and out when I go around corners at a pretty good pace. I used a code scanner on it and it tells me that the torque converter solenoid circut is stuck on as well as EVAP EMISSION SYSTEM pressure Sensor/switch low input. EVAP EMISSION System Vent Control Circut intermittent. Any ideas on what the problem (s) could be. Thanks in advance for all the help. PLEASE HELP? :sick:
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    The usual cause for the evap emmision thing is loose/misaligned fuel cap, otherwise is it likely a leak somewhere in system or other problem.
  • coolio13576coolio13576 Member Posts: 4
    also make sure to check your plugs/wires. all the ones ive worked on always have some chewed up wires or burnt up plugs for some reason.

the last one i delt with was a 99 and it ended up hardly running at all. it would have a really crappy idle and such. anyway, it ended up being the camshafts had actually twisted...come to find out, pontiac uses hallow camshafts for better weight i guess...so keep your eye on your idle as well.

hope this helps someone.
  • coolio13576coolio13576 Member Posts: 4
    also make sure to check your plugs/wires. all the ones ive worked on always have some chewed up wires or burnt up plugs for some reason.

the last one i delt with was a 99 and it ended up hardly running at all. it would have a really crappy idle and such. anyway, it ended up being the camshafts had actually twisted...come to find out, pontiac uses hallow camshafts for better weight i guess...so keep your eye on your idle as well.

hope this helps someone.
  • akashmerakashmer Member Posts: 12
    Make another copy and tape the good key under the dash next to the ignition. the ignition will read the electronic code and the spare key will start the car.

or go to the stealership and get one programed/ made for $75.
    If you have one of the org keys look on it and see if it has pk3 stamped on it. if it does then you need to go to a locksmith and have one of the same type cut, then you can program it your self by simply starting the car with the org key and let it run for 30 seconds then turn it off and restart it with the new key let it run for 30 seconds and then do it again and that should have it programed if that dont work call a dealership in your area and ask for the service dept and tell them what you have done and then ask if you did it the rigth way or not as someone else told this and they will most likely tell you the proper way if what I have told you is wrong. best of luck.
    Did you guys forget to the the security codes before disconnecting the battery?
    The auto door is draining the battery, disconnect the fuse that runs it and see if the drain stops. Also after each drain make sure the battery is fully charged by a plug in batter charger
  • samtechsamtech Member Posts: 1
    :surprise: I found a solution for the keyfob not working....It didn't make sense, But it worked for me........Replace the 10amp Radio fuse (Located under the hood, it will test good, but replace it anyways)......It must supply voltage to the keyless system receiver.
  • qbutahqbutah Member Posts: 2
    2001 Pontiac Montana, just finished put in new intake gaskets. The car starts fine runs well but after the motor reaches temps, I get a ugly miss when accerating hard. I have check connectors to spark module, fuel pump runs fine, new fuel filter but it still acts up. This miss is a complet engine stutter. What is it?
  • qbutahqbutah Member Posts: 2
    And I forgot to mention no codes locked in>>>>>>
    If you have done all that work to it and it still has a massive miss to it then I have to say it is most likly that catalitic converter is plugged up or restricted.
  • armesarmes Member Posts: 32
    I had a 1990 Transport with 3.1 and 3 spd tranny. I had over 300.000 miles on it when I bought my 2002 Montana. I currently have 197,235 miles on the 02 and still don't use a 1/4 quart of oil between changes. No tranny problems with either one. I use all systhetic lubricants and the best grade of filters.

I don't recommend Chrysler products even if they look great and have alot of bells and whistles. They have to look good as they sit alot in transmission shop parking lots. My daughter had one and my sister in-law bought a brand new one. The new one had 3 new trannies in 9 months. The clutch packs break out of the keepers
    ( aluminum tabs are cast into the tranny to hold the clutch paks ) and then you need to replace the whole tranny case and all as these can't be repaired. Costs from $ 1,300 to 2,000. They rebuild a used tranny that has the same possibilities ahead.

All in all, alot has to be said about how a vehicle has been maintained and you usaully don't get a good history on that unless you have all the records available where the dealer maintained the vehicle. ( I knew one guy that bought a new car and drove it with out even changing the oil and filter. All he did was add oil when it was low. When it went bad, he simply traded it for another.)
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    I had to fix this on my Venture a few years ago: the arms are sticking up when you turn the wipers off because the mechanism has gotten out of phase.

Turn the ignition key to accessory, run the wipers on intermittent, then turn the key off when the wipers pause (which should incorrectly be "up" instead of "down"). Then take the crank arm off the wiper motor, manually set the wipers "down" where they're supposed to be during the pause (don't let the motor turn when you do this), retighten the crank, then turn the wipers on again. That ought to reset them. Put briefly, the governing circumstance is when the wipers are set to intermittent and the wipers are paused between strokes .
  • pgsggpgsgg Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2004 montana 150.000 km on it . Just started to get cold in our part of canada so we turned on the heat this morning and nothing but cool air came out after driving for a few min it got hot until i stopped at the lights and back to cool air the van is not overheating it blows hot 30 seconds after taken of and when i stop it blows cool air any ideas?
    I think you may have a blocked/ clogged heater core.
  • pgsggpgsgg Member Posts: 4
    thanks for your reply,do you know if this is something i could change myself is it easy to get to ?
    It's part of the cooling system and is under the dashboard. I checked my Haynes repair manual, it's more involved than I'd want to try. Plus I'm just guessing at the problem, but it sounds like plugged heater core to me.
  • jaringjaring Member Posts: 1
    Under the wiper arm crank, there is a flat metal spring that mechanically pushes out a little catch. When you shut off the wipers, the motor turns backwards to park. This catch hits a tab which activates the crank mechanism and pulls the wipers down, instead of up. The little spring wears out. You can bend it to fix it but that will last only a couple of months. It is pretty easy to fix.
  • mbollwerkmbollwerk Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2002 Pontiac Montana. Only 107,xxx miles on it. Recently the check engine light came on and the car started dying while approaching stop signs and just recently it died while slowing from 55 to 45 mph. It isn't doing it all the time though. Yesterday my wife had no problems and drove it about 60 miles. I had a diagnostic check done and it states that either, 1.O2 is bad, 2. Cylinder misfire, or 3. Injector bad. All of this is occuring to bank "1" according to the report. I am not sure an O2 sensor would make the car just die in mid driving. I was planning on starting with the O2 sensor only because of cost. Does anybody have any ideas or had this happen to them before?
  • bikeral44bikeral44 Member Posts: 4
    you might want to check the map sensor. i had a simular problem my car would shutoff as i was slowing down going into a turn. i changed all the crank sensors but it still did it until i changed ths map sensor ( the big air sensor attached to the air filter intake).
    bikeral
    hlyal@aol.com
    Thanks for the idea! I will post again when I try this part.
  • o_ldman1o_ldman1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the 2002 Pontiac Montana comes with a block heater stock? Another user told me depends on trim paxckage...how best to tell what trim package I have? Sorry..I bought this used....
  • Wanderin_EdWanderin_Ed Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Montana and I have a problem when you hit a large water puddle it spits. sputters and backfires. I was told it could be a crank sensor problem. We also have a code coming up P0240 and code P0240P anyone have any ideas what these codes mean.
  • tiny_bambitiny_bambi Member Posts: 14
    You sound like you know allot more then I do but just wanted to share that after my nephew cracked my filter housing on my 1998 Pontiac Tran-Sport I had to be careful about going through puddles... I would lose allot of my power while driving due to the filter getting wet. It to would sputter. Sounded like a jalopy strolling down the street. It sounded bad but disapated as the filter dried out. You never know, Could be something so simple. Lol!!
  • frymanfryman Member Posts: 19
    I have a 1998 Pontiac that has been plagued with DTC code P0420 showing every 50-100 miles of rural driving. I have replaced the catalytic converter (after market) and the aft oxygen sensor. No other codes are showing up when read. I can clear the code and about 100 miles, it shows up again.

The code cleared for about 1500 miles after the cat was changed and started getting more frequent. The frequency has not changed with the replacement of the aft oxygen sensor.

Car runs fines and gets 19-22 MPH in highway/town driving.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  • john1432john1432 Member Posts: 3
    P0420 is a unique code that will set when the pre and post o2 sensors toggle at the same rate and speed. ( indicating cat has no reserve capacity ) The ecm will also perform invasive testing of the cat. Many of the 3.4 engines are known for repeat head gasket and or intake manifold issues, extended operation with coolant contamination will damage cat. Have you noticed any coolant or Oil loss? The design of this engine and its intake gasket can cause engine oil consumption ( not as popular as coolant on this vehicle ) the only other suggestion would be oem converter I've obtained them from salvage yards opposed to generic.
  • critter2008critter2008 Member Posts: 1
    No vacuum going to the rear heater airbox to let hot air into the rear vents... anyone know where the vacuum line starts?! I'm pulling my hair out trying to find the vacuum source! :mad:
  • edelandcdeledelandcdel Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 2005 Montana. Did you end up replacing the map sensor? If yes, did it help?
  • bikeralbikeral Member Posts: 6
    yes. changing the map sensor solved my problem.
    I did not change my MAP Sensor. My problem ending up being the non-mechanics they hire at Wal-mart. My wife had taken the car to get an oil change. Somehow the personel had unhooked the whole air intake from the filter to the throttle body. They did not replace it correctly leaving a huge gap between the housing the Mass air flow sensor. Once I realized that, I hooked up the air filter and intake tube correctly, my problem went away.
  • rock_labrock_lab Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone!

I have a 1999 Pontiac Montana (3.4 L, extended cab) with 200k miles, it was the first new car I ever bought, and I find it to be a good vehicle. I've driven this GM-Doraville product from Florida to Nova Scotia and Virginia to California. Yes, the transmission needed replacement at 140k, and the head gasket blew at 170k. However, the latter was on a family trip through the Mojave desert when I was really pushing it (even then, this van got me to San Diego - did not strand me in Las Vegas - and I will forever be grateful). I like Pontiacs and I hope to drive this one another year or two.

About 6 months ago, the car began intermittently to have trouble running from a cold start: it would start fine, but would sputter and misfire when I would give it gas and try to run above idle. (The exhaust smells very rich while this sputtering occurs.) After about 5-10 minutes of idling, when the engine warms up, it runs ok. The weird thing is, when it is really cold (~25 F in LA, that's lower Alabama, brrrrrr) the car starts and runs ok, without the warm-up... so, this problem is related to temperature or moisture (cold here means dry, too). I never get a check engine code when starting, but if I get on the highway and step on it, it runs a bit rough and I've seen two codes: 'misfire on #4 cylinder' and 'Catalytic converter under efficiency.' A dealership mechanic kept it a week, with this behavior, and he could not figure it out. (He did say he tried a new coil pack, with no change.) I replaced the thermostat and the fuel filter yesterday, but no change. Also, the spark plugs and wires were new at 170K.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions to help me fix this.
  • jackkornojackkorno Member Posts: 4
    Hi their, I have a 1999 Montana I have tried to read the OBD2 however I can not seem to get a connection, so no codes.

What would cause me all kinds of Misfires ? At times it runs okay, then the check engine light will flash and she will misfire.

Can anyone give me a list of things to do to it. ? or check.

just got a new fuel pump that cost me $700 what a money pit. :mad:
    I'm guessing: a bad ignition module.
    I will stick a new one on. And see what happens.
    Thanks
    Misfire on #1 could this just be a plug and wire ? it is on a 1999 Pontiac Montana.

Any help would be great ?
    How'd you isolate the problem to the #1 wire/ plug? I'm getting out of my limited experience now, but when I had a bad wire on a Mustang years ago, the problem wasn't intermittent, but continual until I replaced the wire. I've had a 99 Venture & now a 2002 Montana, but neither one had/ has your problem.
    But one thing's for sure, it's easy & cheap to replace a plug wire.
    Before that I had a Honda which used to foul one sparkplug. Anytime the engine'd start to miss, I'd pull & clean the plug & all would be well again.
  • kenniekennie Member Posts: 38
    When I purchased my 2000 montana used I got the dealership to print the report of work done when under warranty... strangely enough on the report it showed they replaced the #1 plug... coincidence... not sure. Just fyi.
    Yup I replaced the plug and the wire on #1, that did the trick, as for the OBD2 it was a short in a crimped wire, so I repaired that. Then got a reading that said Misfire #1.

Why only plug one ? I don't know, maybe she is getting ready to blow coolant ?

Now I need to figure out why I have no driver information Display. Wonder if it has to do with the aftermarket stereo. ?

:lemon:
  • kenniekennie Member Posts: 38
    What do you mean by no driver information Display?
  • rentahusbandrentahusband Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I just purchased a 98 Trans Sport Montana, was told up front that the electric door does not work. I do my own repairs as much as possible. Where do I start with this issue. :confuse:
    Thanks Dean
  • tiny_bambitiny_bambi Member Posts: 14
    You can try cleaning the metal contact part where the door closes but I found that not to be the fix all and continued having issues with the slider in my van not functioning as it should. (I just shut it off and kept it that way) I have a 1998 Pontiac Transport. You might want to call the appropriate dealership in your area, There was a recall on this issue so my guess is that you should be able to get the repair at no cost to you. I did go in for the recall and was told that they did not have the part at the time but would order it and call me but I never heard from them. Like your name by the way, Lol :-)
  • bifsterbifster Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if a full size (215 70R15) tire will fit where the donut spare tire is?
    There seems to be allot of room under there but would like to find out before getting on my back.Thanks in advance! :)
  • lolak70lolak70 Member Posts: 2
    My passenger side power window worked fine today, and then an hour later it wouldn't work with the passenger or driver side switch. Then when we got out of the van, my husband got a bad shock when he touched the passenger door. Any ideas what would be causing this?
    It may be a an electrical short...could be as simple as a loose wire.
  • frymanfryman Member Posts: 19
    I have a 1998 transport that has recently developed a noise from the drive train (transmission, axle or wheel) that sounds like a prop plane. It increases in frequency and volume as speed increases. It is not engine, can shift into nuetral and the noise will continue, winding down as the car slows.
    When I lifted the front end and took off the wheels to see if I could pin point, the traction control turns on and applies brakes (without track on the wheels) so any idea of what the problem is would be helpful.
    I need this car to last another two-three months so if this is something I can drive on, so much the better.
    Thanks
  • nthompson1nthompson1 Member Posts: 13
    I recently bought the above van, and immediately discovered a overheating problem which occurs in driveway while idling, and also driving a mile starting cold. Before I bought it, I sat in the passenger seat while the previous owner drove it a short distance, so I couldn't see the gauges. Of course, the owner claims it never happened before.
    First, gauge on the dash goes all the way over to hot, then the lighted water signal says hot, then the check engine light goes on. Then the engine dies but restarts easy.
    When I first looked at the engine coolant reservoir at the owner's house, it was almost full. Now it is full to the top, and the radiator is short 1/2 gallon.
    The previous put 1/2 gallon water in the radiator at my house.
    When we started the engine again, the radiator fluid is sucked out somewhere, again 1/2 gallon short.
    My thought is to take another car to the store and buy the DEX-COOL recommended in the manual, drive the trans sport to a parts store to get tested.
    My "new" trans sport has 186,000 miles. It has 13 car faxes(cost $40 to get).
    Is it possible there is a simple solution?
    I am VERY wary as I just had a master brake cylinder installed on a 1991 Dodge Ram Pickup. It doesnt brake any better, and now am told it needs at least new brake lines.
    I am a deserving person who needs your help. Thank you.
  • quehousequehouse Member Posts: 7
    Sounds like a wheel bearing assembly to me. Easy to change but the part is fairly expensive. If one side is gone then surely the other side is close to going. Good luck.
  • quehousequehouse Member Posts: 7
    Check your engine oil. I bet it is over full. If so you have a blown manifold gasket. Sounds like the correct mileage for this engine. The dexcool eats away at the cheap OM gasket. Have it changed to the metal reinforced gasket and you will be good to go.