Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    oil: 5w30
    tires: 34 front / 33 rear usually or 32 psi all around for long distance.
    Injectors were cleaned at 20k with no change. Just had the 30k done about 3k ago with no change. There does not seem to anything wrong with the car. Its just gets lower MPG than the EPA report.
    The only other thing of note is that it developed a slight engine knock at around 20k which lasted through several trips to the dealer(s) and then just went away when I disconnected the battery overnight (or it could be that its really cold here now). I'm not sure what got rid of the knock but its totally gone now.

Basically its running perfectly now so the poor MPG does not bother me as much as it used to.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's odd, cold air is more dense. If anything, I would think your compression ratio would be effectively higher in the winter.

-juice
  • mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    On my H6 VDC, I get somewhere between 21 and 22 on every tank in mixed driving, usually with the air on. I averaged 27 on my one long trip. I switched to synthetic engine (Mobil 1) and transmission oil (redline) early on (4000/1000 miles). I have no idea of the impact of that, but the car sure runs great.

Mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'm on a MAC, so that "reload" issue is not something run into. If you do accidently double-post, you can always delete it yourself by hitting the delete button.

Bob
    I was just talking about this. Check out Edmunds' long-term Tribute. They're averaging 14.3 mpg so far, with the worst tank so far an awful 12.5 mpg.

That's for 200hp, part-time AWD. An H6 with 212hp and full-time AWD doing significantly better really isn't bad.

-juice
  • kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    Lorrie - tough break - I know just how you feel. My '89 Caravan (2.5L turbo 5-speed) snapped a camshaft right at the crank end of the assembly just before Thanksgiving. No particular reason - I had just (personally) tuned it up a couple of weeks before and changed the oil and filter. Just cruising along in cruise control at 65 mph - no weird noise, lights or warnings - silence - dead! Despite years of TLC including frequent oil changes and very careful operation until warm-up. My reward for holding onto it an extra year (after I bought the 2K OB) for my daughter to use her last year in high school - I already had the "For Sale" signs in the windows when it died. In fact, one of the main reasons I bought the OB was because nobody makes a 5-speed (manual) minivan any more. It sure was a sweet drivetrain while it lasted (just short of 115K), but these things just happen despite one's best efforts. It was a first for me, and I've had lots of vehicles with more miles. Oh, well. Happy New Year anyway!

Ken in Seattle
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    Someone got lucky not buying it from you the day before it blew.

Eric
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I'm on a Mac too (using IE 5.1under OS X) but have seen the reload problem as well. I think it must be a general browser cache issue.

Craig
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Hey guys and gals, don't complain! My dad's '01
    Mazda Protege get 19 mpg in combined driving! He is easy on the car and it is MUCH lighter w/FWD.
    Then again, my '94 Z-28 gets 27 mpg on the highway! Of course it barely turns 2000 rpm @65 mph!

GAM2
  • doolin1doolin1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 outback. I like having great sound in the car. Does anyone have any advice about buying the subaru sound system upgrades like the cd player, enhanced speakers and the tweeter set vs. buying at a car audio store? Also, any thoughts on purchasing the extended warranty or any of the other subaru extras, like the luggage carrier, battery warmer, etc. I live in the cold climes of chicago and travel about 250 miles each weekend with two dogs.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I don't think you need the battery warmer in chicago, been here 5 yrs with Subes and never had a problem, only had a problem once when I was living in MN but then my car was parked in the open at work and it was -30!
    Extended warranty - like any insurance, you may never need it and you may also save a bundle. If you are not planning on keeping the car beyond the 5/60 powertrain warranty probably not worth it, if you intend to put lots of mileage, maybe. I've gotten it for my 98 as I got burned with an older Legacy for lots of non powetrain stuff - the self adusting suspension, a/c etc. Whatever "MSRP" extended warranty price the dealer is asking for (I'm asuming you are talking about the Subaru one, others are usually too much hassle to deal with getting claims paid) expect to be able to get at least a 1/3 or more off or go find another dealer to buy it from.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I like them personally if they are factory with zero deductible. Its just insurance that if the Tranny and A/C and car computer blow up, you are covered for thos very costly repairs.

-mike
    The MAF is something like $700, so certain parts can be pretty expensive. But those only break on cars that are modified.

What size tweeters do the Forester and Outback take? I'm considering that upgrade, too.

-juice
    You're a brave guy, if you're using OS X. I've been told not to upgrade yet. I'm going to wait till there are programs that work with it.

Bob
    Bob: I started "migrating" to OS X in September, and am now using it full time. The big clincher was Microsoft Office -- when that came out for OS X in November, I stopped using OS 9 all together. I should note that this is on my personal computer (PowerBook G4) -- my G3 at work is still running OS 8.6! The only other native app I am really waiting for is PhotoShop, but the older version runs fine in OS X "classic" mode. Overall, I'd say it's safe to upgrade to OS X now. But, you really need a G4 or better, or it will be too slow.

Micah (doolin1): I would definitely recommend the Subaru tweeters since they are a great fit. For speakers, you're better off going aftermarket. For in-dash stuff, the Subaru CD player is good if you want something that blends in and won't attract theives. But, better sound quality can be had for much less money if you get an aftermarket receiver.

Craig
  • dhdunndhdunn Member Posts: 51
    Folks, sorry for the "provincial posting", but I am seeking feedback on 2 dealerships in the Boulder, CO area:

1) Flatirons Subaru, Boulder
    2) Valley Subaru, Longmont

If anyone out there lives in the Boulder area, and can give me some feedback on these dealerships that would be great!! I'm interested in knowing about their sales process (how honest and straightforward were they), and also very importantly how good their service departments are (competency, accuracy, honesty). You can post answers or send them to dhdunn@yahoo.com

Thanks so much for your help!!

Warmest regards,

dhd

P.S. This was also posted in the Forester area.
    I'm running 9.1, and was told by the company that services my MAC to hold off; that there are still too many incompatibility issues to deal with. They are constantly being called to deal with these problems. They said, unless you're doing 3-D modeling, they recommend holding off for a while. I trust these guys, I've been using them for years, and they usually are spot on with their recommendations.

I figure about this time next year I'll upgrade.

Bob
  • signalksignalk Member Posts: 13
    Picked up my new OB 4 cyl. MT base on 12/31, and I love it already. Believe it or not, I gave my husband my also-new (6 mos) Acura TL. I liked the Acura too, but it just wasn't as practical as an OB with the kids, dog, shopping, etc. etc. Even the Subaru salespeople thought I was a little crazy, but this is what I wanted. I'm sure my husband will let me drive the TL once in a while :-). What's also funny is that we usually get 1 car every 6 years, and 2 in 6 months is real departure, but both of our old cars had had it (a Jeep with 167,000 mi and a Mazda with 210,000). Hopefully we'll get the same service out of these.
    Anyway, what I like most about the Subie is that it's fun to drive. I was a little worried about having enough power, but so far it seems to be fine with the MT. Maybe going up Pike's Peak would be a little difficult, but on these NY roads it works.
    Can't wait till the first snow!
  • hurler4hurler4 Member Posts: 104
    Has anyone seen any pictures of the 2003 Legacy or Outback? Does anyone know what kind of makeover is expected--just a facelift or a full redesign? I'd like to wait on buying a Subaru until I see the 2003.
    Signal: when that first snow arrives, I have a feeling your hubby will be the one begging for keys. Congrats.

Subaru is very tight-lipped, so I haven't seen anything at all on the 2003 Legacy freshening. The Detroit show in next week, and they'll be showing the production ST-X, but I doubt they'll have a Legacy there (too early). The 2003 Forester is due at the NY Auto Show, last week of March or early April. Legacy might be there.

-juice
    at the Chicago Auto Show in Feb.

Bob
    OK, so it's ST-X (next week), Legacy (Feb), and then Forester (late March).

-juice
    If I remember correctly, the 2002 model got cosmetic updates in the Japanese, Australian, and new Zealand markets, and similar tweaks were slated for the US in 2003. Here are some 2002 model pics from the Subaru Australia website:

I seem to remember that we were going to get a new bumper design, new headlights, and new tail lights, which goes along with the spiffy details shown in these pics. The tail lights are similar to the updated tail lights that the Forester got for 2001.

Craig

the suspension was tweaked, and it also got a new flywheel too.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    We always get different lights (crappy DOT ones) compared to the rest of the world!

-mike
    Yep, I doubt we'll get those cool headlights.

-juice
  • sten2sten2 Member Posts: 31
    My 2000 Legacy and Outback Manual says to replace the cabin's air filtration system's filter every 12 months or 7,500 miles, which ever comes first. I am curious if anyone really replaces their filters so frequently and if people think it is really a good idea. Does the filter really show much dirt when you change them at such a short interval? Does anyone know what size particle the filters filter out?

The manual also says not to mount the cross bars closer than 6" from either end of the roof rail supports joint line. Does anyone know why?
    Thanks,
    Sten
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Great pics c_hunter!

I hope they bring that color combination to the US. I like that it looks like it lost the gold trim wheels too which I always thought were sort of Pontiac Grand Am-esque!

BTW -- I am coming to you from a Mac OS X v10.12 powered G4 Mac. Is there some market overlap between Macs and Subarus for those who think different?
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Have not taken the plunge yet. OS 9.2 wireless surfing on an iBook. Seriously, I hope that there is a correlation between Mac and Subie. Both are not the most popular but simply the best solution for many of us.

TWRX
    I think there is a possible correlation between Macs and Subarus -- a higher than normal proportion of the regulars here on Edmunds use Macs. The one thing I have noticed is that Subaru owners and Mac users are both very loyal and dedicated customers. You don't find that with most other car brands and computer makers. That's always been a major asset for Apple, and I imagine it must be a good thing for Subaru too.

Craig
  • mdisaacsmdisaacs Member Posts: 28
    I like it. It looks a little more nimble, like the Forester. The bulging bumpers on the current US Outbacks give them a weighty look.
    -Mike
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I replaced mine after about a year. Even my dealer said you could wait for that, assuming you live in a normal climate and haven't been driving on the beach (or the Pine Barrens) everyday. It was dirty, so I wouldn't wait more than a year or so to replace.

Mark
    Sten: after a year, mine was hardly dirty at all. But another person posted photos of his, and they were filthy. So I'd check. As they say, YMMV.

Yeah, lots of Mac users among us.

-juice
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    If the 03 Legacy outback is shown in Feb 02 when would it go on sale? July or August 02?
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    When the new vehicles arrive depends on the dealership. The larger ones typically will get the first ones at the end of the summer. However, most dealerships will take orders in advance of the first shipment date.

Ken
  • willocwilloc Member Posts: 19
    tally up another Mac user...and don't be afraid to install OS X - it is rockin' now and works great. It is by far the most stable OS I have used. I can go weeks if not months at a time without crashing or rebooting. Just put it to sleep at night and wake up in the morning w/o reboot. Anyway I think there is a Mac/Subie connection. My wife has a '97 OB and I am looking to buy one soon. Can't decide between the WRX or LL Bean but will probably go with LLB.
    - Will
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

There is a certain luxury in getting updates before the USA. Must be the first time it has ever happened. The improvements to the 20002 Outback and Legacy included a Dual mass flywheel and projector type lights. Look nice. Otherwise, i think it was a change in the alloys but not much else.

cheers

Graham
    << There is a certain luxury in getting updates before the USA. Must be the first time it has ever happened. The improvements to the 20002 >>

Boy, you are in a different time zone... 20002!

Bob
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    on the crew boards! We could trade Macworld rumors: G5?, flat panel iMac?, new digital hub device?

TWRX
    Now that is funny. That would be a real interesting forum -- Mac using Subaru drivers talking about Macs!! Sounds like a support group to me!

I am very curious about all the MacWorld rumors. This is the first time I have ever seen Apple stir up such a frenzy. They usually deny or downplay hype, but this time they are cranking it up. Makes me think Steve Jobs has a huge announcement. The only thing I am sure of is a flat panel iMac. The rest is up for grabs.

Craig
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Wasn't the 02 WRX available in the first half of 01???
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

here are the updats made to Australian spec cars in late 2002. It might provide some hints as to the improvements in the US 2003 models

http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_30/showall_/id_SUB/doc_sub0108231/article.html

Cheers

Graham

• subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    The new darker color of the lower clading makes that blue color look quite sharp, IMO.

Speaking of headrests, I was recently driving next to a LL Bean H6 and noticed that the middle head rest in the rear seat was about half the size of the others. I've taken the head rest out in our Outback since Brooke can't use it yet. It does make it easier to see behind the vehicle without it there, although I didn't really have that much problem with it in. Looks like SOA realized that too and trimmed the size down to help. Hope that made it to all the models!

-Brian
  • david55838david55838 Member Posts: 55
    I think all '02 OB's have the smaller center headrest. My base model does. Glad I waited. That's one negative when I was shopping for them in 2000. BTW, where's the snow?

David
    Thanks for the link. I've been saying for some time that I think our '03 Legacys and Outbacks, to be shown in early February at the Chicago Auto Show, will get many if not all the *functional* upgrades that you folks recently got.

I'm also hoping for a few *surprises,* but I'm not holding my breath...

Bob
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    so I'll be sure to let everyone know if there's changes!

-Brian
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Juice: tweeters now on sale - $16.00. P/N H6300AS010, per mysubaru.com

Just don't have your dealer swap parts with Appleway in Spokane until I get my set!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    The new Pacifica looks pretty nice, and is also available in 4 WD. What do you think?

Picture at;

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com

scroll down to the link to "Vince Burlapp car page"
    Snow is on the way for us, maybe tomorrow! :-)

Paul - are those for all Subies? Will they fit my Forester? If so I'm ordering a set for sure.

-juice
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Juice: they were listed under the Legacy... I didn't peek at the Forester listings to see if they were available there as well. If I'm interpreting coorectly, it's not a have-to-order item - dealers should have them at the sale price in the parts department. I've been wrong before, though. :)

Cheers!
    Paul