Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    There is no way to determine how prices paid for
    cars, all of them, are computed here in the various posts...What they include what they don't,
    etc.

If you are comfortable, if this Passat is the one that you want, if you have been treated well...These are the important issues; not what some one else thinks or claims to have paid for a similar vehicle...
  • lacrosse1lacrosse1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if VW dealers receive a holdback? The Interent sources, e.g., Edmund's, state a 2% holdback of base MSRP. But I have had others tell me that VW no longer provides dealer holdbacks.
  • samaritanosamaritano Member Posts: 8
    I want to know what you guys think of this price that they give me in a local dealer on a 1.8T
    leather and luxury package, monsoon system and homelink. Car price is $24858 plus TT&L comes to a total of $26620. Does it looks like a good deal?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Looks good from here.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    A friend of mine just leased a new 02 wagon (I don't know if it's GLS or GLX, but fully loaded).

Long and short, she's in a 48 month lease, ~$500 payment, with (here's the worst part) $5000 down!! Of course, she did not ask for any help from me or anyone else who could have advised her against this.

She is, of course, having major buyer's remorse. I'm basically of the opinion that the purpose of a lease is to reduce down payment or monthly payment, neither of which seemed to occur in this case (dealer did classic: how much do you have down? How much do you want your payment to be? Viola, here's your $500 payment, and I'll gladly take your $5k).

My question: since she just did this on the end of the day on Saturday, is there any way she can go back in on Monday morning and re-finance? In order to do this, will she lose anything (other than some face)?

The customer in this case is a lawyer, believe it or not.
  • landru2landru2 Member Posts: 638
    As long as the paperwork can still be changed I don't see why the dealership would have a problem changing the downpayment. Your friend does realize that the payment will be around $625 with $0 down? Will she qualify for this payment and $0 down?

Or are you suggesting she renegotiate her entire deal? That could get a little sticky, especially if she has already taken delivery.
    .......she wants zero down. I don't think she wants to renegotiate the entire deal, but hopefully she can just go in and change the lease to a buy. I'm getting this info second hand, so please forgive my lack of concrete knowledge of the specifics.

I think she realizes that putting $5k down on a lease is, um, stupid. I guess she wants to keep the payment under $500, but of course in doing so would end up paying ~$33k for this car and have *NOTHING* to show for it in four years, which is insane. I mean, what will a loaded Passat wagon be worth in five years w/maybe 10k miles a year? Probably a lot more than $125 a month times 48.

There must be a lot of people who do this (obsess over what the 'payment' will be, so they lease and lose thousands of dollars in the process to 'save' $100-150 a month they'd probably never miss otherwise). Naturally, rather than just look at a car she that would actually have $500 payments (like a less loaded Passat wagon), she gets the fully loaded model.

I did tell my friend that the likely saviour here is time, since she just did the deal on Saturday, her check probably isn't cashed, and the papers probably aren't filed with the bank(s).
    Did your friend even bother to read the lease
    agreement? Did she know how much the car that she
    wanted cost?

48Months X $500 = $24,000 + $5000 Down = $29,000
    with a residual that has to be 47% or so, I do not
    keep the new rate sheets here at home.

It is against the law to write a *non-disclosed*
    lease in California...Paperwork does not show Cap
    Cost...

Are you sure this is 48Months???
    I haven't followed up with her today or seen any of the paperwork. I think, despite being a lawyer (so she should know her legalease), she was a bit too eager and didn't quite do her homework. This was her first new car purchase. I'm pretty sure her term is 48 months.

She bought it at Autobarn, Evanston, IL. I think she was going back today to try to re-do the deal. She drove the car home on Saturday night and didn't use it all weekend, so hopefully she can work something out (like getting out of the lease and getting a loan).

Maybe I'm 'missing something' as to why some people like leases so much, but I certainly don't see the point in spending ~$29k to borrow a Passat for four years. That car should still be worth like $15k in four years.
  • szimsszims Member Posts: 3
    VW guild - I see that a couple of months ago, you listed invoice as $27,854. I plan on buying soon and was wondering if I should take into consideration any depreciation as we get further into 2002? Right now, the best numbers I have are $28,454 plus tax and title. How does that sound?
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    a 600 dollar profit on a 30000 car is a good deal. Stop worrying over pennies and make the deal.
    The figure that arrive at with your Dealer when
    you are ready to drive it home is the important one...
  • dante7dante7 Member Posts: 1
    I've negotiated a 36 month lease with a 15K/YR allowance in Monmouth County, NJ on a 2002 Passat GLS Auto with LUX PK only for $300.00 over invoice.

I am paying taxes, title, and all other fees up front, so the cap cost consists only of the price of the vehicle. The dealer's computer print out shows a cap cost of 23,776 which I believe is 302 too high. QUESTION 1 of 2: Am I correct?

I calculate the cap cost to be 23,474 as follows: 20,863 (Base Model) + 1,369 (LUX) + 550 (Dest) + 25 Port Prep + 92 (Floorplan Int) + 275 (Regional Add Fee) + 300 (Negotiated Profit).

Inmessage 1478 you offered to fax a copy of an invoice so that we couls see how these fees breakdown, please contact me by e-mail for my fax number.

I am also being quoted a residual of 55% on an MSRP of 25,380 which is 455 higher than Edmunds' MSRP of 24,925. Question 2 of 2: Why the 455 discrepancy?

Two weeks ago, I negotiated the same lease deal on a fully loaded 2002 loaded GLS 1.8 Auto and Port, Floorplan and Advert came to a total of 392. (25 + 92 + 275 = 392). How can the total of these charges now be 694? I believe the dealer is baking in extra profit.

I'd truly appreciate your help. Thank you.
    Email me with the info...your email is not in
    your profile...mine is...
    Apparently my friend returned to Autobarn on Monday morning to re-do the deal (she financed for 60 months) and all is well. I don't have details on the deal, but even if her APR isn't so great, she'll at least have a car that's paid for and can be used on trade in five years, as opposed to $29k spent and giving the car back in four.
    Please email me with the details of this "resign"
    as you learn them...
    I was told this story by a friend, re a friend of his, who I don't talk to all that frequently. I'll try to get some details out of him.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Ok, I'm a bit obsessive. But I went through the last 1000 posts or so looking for actual selling prices for 2001.5 and 2002 GLS 1.8T's and put it all into a spreadsheet along with the options, etc. Here are some of the results:

The average paid was $989 over invoice (note: used edmunds invoice which does not include port fees, etc. The $989, however, DOES include all the fees.) The prices ranged from $31 over invoice to $2075 over invoice. Cars with an auto tranny averaged $782 over invoice, while manuals averaged $1243 over. Maybe manuals are more scarce. 70% of the cars had the luxury package, 60% had monsoon, 45% had the leather, 45% were manuals, 25% had Homelink, and 15% had the cold package.

Just a few stats to brighten your day. ;-)
  • fradog69fradog69 Member Posts: 2
    vwguild,
    For starters, I want to thank you for the information you provide. I am getting close to finally purchasing a Passat - perhaps in February. Has VW extended the attractive financing terms? Thanks
    Not yet...should come over later today...you will
    need to send me an email...
  • vwconvertvwconvert Member Posts: 2
    For what it's worth:

I bought a Passat sedan 1.8 GLS automatic with a Monsoon sound system and homelink (cloth seats) for $500 over invoice on Jan 30. Invoice price included destination charge and the port fees and a $200 documentation fee. Total price was $22732

($22,032 invoice + $500 profit + $200 documentation fee).

A very low pressure dealership so doing the deal was very pleasant. I did have a trade-in, which complicated the deal, yet the purchase price was not an issue, just the trade-in value.

I would not recommend the Monsoon sound system for the money, yet I didn't have the option.
  • chip3432chip3432 Member Posts: 4
    I ordered last week a 2002 1.8T GLS with lthr, lux pkg, Monsoon & Homelink. $300 over invoice.
    Total $24,003 on a list of $25,805. Doc fee of $279, tax, tags not included. The dealership here in NC had to order from factory. I'm told that VW has a new inventory program that allows the cars ordered to be tracked. Approx. wait is 2-3 mos.
    How long in your experience does it take after order? Thoughts on new tracking system?
    Thanks.
    The system you are referring to is called V.I.M., or Volkswagen Inventory Management. We have an Audi franchise and have been using the same system with Audi for about 6 months. It is a lot easier to track cars on this system. The average order to delivery time is roughly 7 weeks. However, Passats are scarce right now, so it could take longer. You're lucky to have bought the car at 300 over. With current inventory levels in my area, we're passing on anything below a 750.00 front end deal.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 6
    Just bought a 2002 Passat GLX, Reflex Silver, Gray Leather. Invoice was 27,737. I paid 28,200 plus tax, tags, & 179 doc fee.

I do not know if this is a great deal but I do think it is pretty good deal for the car. I love it.

Can anyone "in the know" give me their thoughts on this deal?

Also, I financed it through VW credit 5.5% for 60 months.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Fradog69, I have all the details of Volkswagen's February special financing program for the 2002 Passat if you are interested. Please feel free to head on over to the Finance, Warranty, & Insurance Message Board (as you can tell by the name, that is a more appropriate board for this question :)) and ask me again. I will give you all of the details. See you there.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards
  • healthcorphealthcorp Member Posts: 1
    Anyone getting good deals on the Passat in LA? If so, please let me know which dealer and the price.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi healthcorp. The following is in response to the e-mail that you recently sent me:

"I don't know why it says that there is not any special financing available on the 2002 Volkswagen Passat this month on Edmunds, because there is. If you finance a 2002 Passat through Volkswagen Credit during the month of February, you can use special interest rates of 2.9% for 24 month, 4.5% for 36 month, 4.9% for 48 month, or 5.5% for 60 month terms. Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near California and am not all that familiar with the dealerships in your area nor do I recall seeing any posts extolling the virtues of any dealerships there. I think that your best bet would be to pay a visit to the Sedans Message Board. There you will be able to interact with many other community members who either own or are shopping for the same car that you are interested in. Perhaps one of them will be able to steer you towards a good dealership in your area."

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards
  • fredjsfredjs Member Posts: 4
    Was just at my local VW dealer pricing a 2002 GLS Wagon,1.8T manual, luxury package, and after some negotiating, his best price was 23,200. Msrp for this car is 24,535 and Edmunds invoice is 22,330. The TMV is 22,764. there's no trade-in. The car will have to be ordered. At $870 over invoice, I'm wondering how good this deal is.Based on mirth's analysis(and thanks for that), it's pretty good especially for a manual, but recently I've seen a lot of deals for less. Incidentally, mirth, the dealer did say that the factory has greatly under-produced manuals which may account for their larger write-up and his inability to go lower. Does anyone--especially dealers--have any thoughts? Would it be worth it to check other, more distant dealers? Thanks.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    You probably want to check other dealers first. What your dealer's offering is about average, but you might be able to do better. Also, check carsdirect.com to get an average price for your area. Again, you can do better than that price, too, but it'll give you an idea if your dealer's price is in the ballpark.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    What is the cutoff ficos for teir 1 and 2 VW credit. I have a 665 score and was wondering where I would come in on their teirs.
    I would plan on *B* Tier, but there may be a
    possibilty of *A*...It will depend upon the
    approver and how the whole report looks...

There is nothing specific in these Rate Sheets
    that specify a 720, etc. And some have in the past...
    thanks for the help. I'll probably hold off till I can bring it up some more.
    Actually the difference is not that great...
    *A* = 5.5% for 60. and *B* is 6.0%
    48/4.9% vs 48/5.4%...
    vwguild any idea what "b" teir mf's for a lease would be?
    No such thing...Either you are *leasable*, which
    you are, or not...No better factors or residuals...
  • grelpegrelpe Member Posts: 6
    I contacted an Internet dealer about a GLS V6 Passat in a particular color. She happens to have a demo in that color, with a couple of different options than I wanted (i.e., different interior color, etc). I do not know how many miles the demo has (assuming a few hundred). Anyone know how much less than TMV I should offer for this car?
    Invoice doesn't change on a demo; if you're willing to take the car, offer a couple hundred over. We might take that deal this close to the end of the month.
  • acraftonacrafton Member Posts: 99
    VWGUILD,
    Thanks for the suggestion on the Passat forum - I took it and found a dealer advertising on their site the following:

2002 Passat GLS
    Auto, Monsoon, Homelink

MSRP - $23830
    Their price - $21799
    Or using ballon financing (used instead of a lease in Texas - you own and the last payment is the residual - turn it in or pay it off
    0 down and $299 month for 48 months

This looks really good to me - thoughts?

Adam
    I think that is the *Driver's Option* Program;
    that is not available here in California...

Truth told...It only matters if it works for you...If you have any other questions; we can talk in the AM: 888.556.3849, if you like...
    Just remember that I am on Pacific Standard Time!
  • mangopicklemangopickle Member Posts: 1
    I went to a dealer today to deal on a 1.8T manual with Leather, Luxury, Homelink, and Monsoon. The car was on the lot.

As we get into talking price with the sales guy we show him the printout from Edmunds.com showing the invoice price, MSRP, and TMV. The invoice on the printout is $23,436. He takes this to the sales manager and comes back with the invoice crossed out instead showing "his invoice price" of 23,7xx. He then proceeds to offer me the car for his invoice price plus $800.

Is this BS or what? Has anyone else encountered this tactic before?

Naturally, I politely walk away.
    don't get me started on this issue...Well, you have already...

Your problem begins here at Edmund's; not at the
    Dealership....

Edmund's has refused, and continues to refuse to post accurate pricing for Volkswagen. For an organization dedicated to helping consumers, this
    stubbornness has caused consumers, like yourself,
    a less than satisfactory sales experience...

The variations in the numbers are as follows:
    Port Prep = $25.00
    FloorPlan Interest Reserve = $92.00

Total = $117.00

These two fees are charged to every Dealer, for every car, in every state, Coast to Coast.

Advertising Fees which can range from $0 - $150 &
    are discussed in fine print somewhere at the bottom of a page here. Sad, also is the fact that TMV
    cannot Really take into account Current Market Conditions with any actual authority, because that can change in a day...Case in point...VW is
    Sold-Out of 4MO Wagons...I would bet, and I have
    not gone there to look that you will find a TMV
    that rests somewhere between *their Invoice* & MSRP...Good Luck!

Passat Invoice is $23,553...you will immediately
    notice the $117.00 difference...add maybe $150.00
    for an Advertising Fee, and you get $23,7xx.00.

I am sorry that what should have been a fun & Fair
    purchase experience was denied you because of bad
    information from a source that you trust...
    Edmund's Invoice A/O 12:00AM 03/16/02 $30,289.00
    TMV = $30,851.00...A $2074.00 Discount on a car
    that you cannot even order...Not to mention the
    Invoice is $30,406.00!!! 2002 GLX 4MOTION VARIANT

$445.00 over Invoice...That will work???

Actual Fax copies available upon request...
    comments on this???
    tomorrow is Monday, and all hands will be back
    from shore leave...Maybe this problem will be fixed...
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    The ad fee in some places is $200. Edmunds does need to include the port fee and the finance reserve, and they should highlight the part about advertising better than they do.
  • fredjsfredjs Member Posts: 4
    I think your analysis is very fair and helped me a great deal when I was negotiating for my (now aborted) Passat deal. I knew where the dealer was really starting from and made me more comfortable with the final result.
  • jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    Try carsdirect.com. They include the 3 fees in the invoice they quote. It matches with the one my dealer gave me; and is about $19x above the
    edmunds.com invoice in my area.
  • dandksmithdandksmith Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a 1999 Passat GLS Turbo Sedan. The car that I'm looking at has 83,000 miles and the dealer says that he can get the price down to just under $10,000. I have a few open questions for anybody who currently owns a Passat or is knowledgeable about them:
    What do you think of the price?
    I know 83,000 miles is a lot, so does anybody know how many miles I can expect to run up before the whole car just gives up on me?
    How well does the AutoStick thing work?
    How fast does this car depreciate?
    Thanks to anybody with more information. . .
    That sounds like a fair number. I have seen 98's with 150k on them back in service. All of our techs agree, the Passat is the best built VW. (Its the only one still built in Germany)
  • lwentzelllwentzell Member Posts: 2
    I went to a dealer to deal on a 2002 GLX Passat (not on the lot but available by dealer trade). They quoted 28950 + T,T,L and 199 processing fee. This is 1,000 over invoice and according to Edmunds this is higher than the TMV in my area (Nashville, TN) What killed the deal was the offer for my trade-in, a 97 Mazda 626 ES. The car is in clean condition with 52,300 and loaded with all the options. Edmunds and KBB indicates the trade in should be around 8,000. They offered 6,500. They would not negotiate, I decided to look around for a better deal.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks